inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Hal Jordan and Sinestro have a bit of a talk. Meanwhile, Orion and Highfather do the same. Act II for Godhead begins here!

There's a lot going on here. We're going to keep the spoilers out of this review, but we'll have some for you in an article this afternoon. Writer Robert Venditti makes some huge changes and sets a few things straight dealing with the Green Lantern universe. It's nice to see not only a writer in the New 52 be so blunt about what's canon and not, but also decide to take some major chances with characters they've been building upon for months. Even in the midst of a giant cross-over event.

One of the biggest things to happen in the issue comes towards the end. As you can probably tell from the cover, Black Hand is a part of this issue and Venditti and crew take him in a bit of a weird direction. Johns' version of the character was darker and on the brink of madness, a character obsessed with death. Here, Black Hand still has that obsession with death, but he's full-blown on the side of madness. He's lost it all and the undead seem to be his only companions. My only concern is that the character is dangerously close to being a bit too silly and falling into Deadpool territory.

On the art side of things, this book look beautiful. Francis Portela is on art, with Scott McDaniel on breakdowns, and Brad Anderson on colors. The book looks wonderful. Anderson's colors look phenomenal and vibrant and the characters pop right off the page. Anderson was born to do color work on a Lantern book. Portela's character designs look nice. He has his own little take on these characters, without them losing the essence of who they are.

The Bad

The biggest problem with the book is that the issue comes off as a tad boring. The dialogue is fine, but it feels a bit overdone at times, especially in the Orion/Highfather scene and the Hal/Sinestro scene. This all makes the issue feel really dense. Bombshells of information are dropped on the readers and on Hal and company. It's almost too much for a single issue.

The Verdict

Godhead continues to be a very strong story. Sure, it's super-long and runs through way too many books, but overall, it's been a fantastic ride, so it's worth it. A lot is happening in this issue and there's a lot of revelations, almost too many, and the book is a bit slow and a tad dull at parts, but overall, it's a great read and a very essential moment in the overall Godhead story arc.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

A decent read

Randomtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That cover is proper migraine inducing. Green Lantern has had some real bad covers recently though

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestros talk with Hal was glorious.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good issue things are going to be awkward when Hal and Kyle meet up again.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@timelord said:

Hal: Hey Kyle, how have you been?

Kyle: Umm..... I MADE OUT WITH CAROL!

Hal: My Carol?

Kyle: Not anymore. You snooze, you lose, bro

Avatar image for randolphdefreese1
randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the new gods are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to overpowered.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord said:

Hal: Hey Kyle, how have you been?

Kyle: Umm..... I MADE OUT WITH CAROL!

Hal: My Carol?

Kyle: Not anymore. You snooze, you lose, bro

...hal already knows about carol and kyle though. just saying

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I need to go get my copy now.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@randolphdefreese1: They're Jack Kirby creation. Ofcos New Gods are way too powerful :)

Wow this Godhead event is really AMAZING !

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought no one was supposed to know Sinestro survived the last big event & secretly became the keeper of the book? You mean no one in the greater universe had any way to record these & any following yearly mega-events so that years later people know Sinestro is still around?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@cobramorph: do you read Sinestro book issue 4 I believe. Hal Jordan already know that Sinestro is alive and they fight each other is awesome

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved the Hal/Sinestro talk.....really not sure about this new direction for Black Hand. This is not a character you take down the "silly/fun/black humor" route.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue looked good, I'm a bit skeptical about getting this event because, like all GL events, it's often long and spreads across several titles and I'm not sure whether it would be worth to spend all that money if the event is going to be mediocre at best. I'll wait and see how things turn out, but a solid issue.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hal and SInestro was teh best moment in the book. Again, love how powerful the New Gods are.

The biggest problem for me still is that the "good" guys are waaay too diabolical and evil? Really? Brainwashing? Looks like Darkseid's a good guy now!! Last issue with Bekka and her soldiers was really weird and out of character. Might as well kill all the new gods, they all seem like bad gods... I hoped that the new gods would be a group that we can sympathize and agree with but also see that the Green Lanterns are also right. Like Civil War, there isn't a villain or bad guy, the conflict is more diverse and complex than others. But the New Gods just look like cosmic baddies... I hope they make it less sure. They should make the New Gods teh good guys again. Makes the conflict more interesting. THey shouldn't be barbaric is what I'm trying to get at. And love the fact that Orion is getting back to his roots a little bit

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliustakalua: well if you read Green Lantern new guardians, it is reveal that the guardian is a jerk and highfather really kind to Kyle Rayner

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@boynerdgeek: what if he's... just using Kyle? I also kind get the Guardians' view point but Highfather seemed too nice. Like wth, doesn't that sound a little alarming?

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review...

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I disagree about the cons of the issue.

I actually think that comics lack dialogue a lot of the times.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good solid issue. Sinestro continues to teach Hal after all these years, I love how he can embarrass Hal at one time then bring the best out of him the next. If like to see the New Gods fleshed out a bit more but I'm sure that's coming and I can't wait to see what's next.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This event has been amazingly good and this issue was no exception. I don't get all the slow and dull comments. It seems like some folks just want great stories to consist of nothing but fighting and be over in an issue or two. I just shake my head at those comments. Comics have been around a long time and for many years to come hopefully. What's the hurry? Let a great story take its time I say. The last Green Lantern crossover was terrible. This one has been Amazing with a capital A.