• 51 results
#1 Posted by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I've recently taken up the task of giving the Arrow series a shot, and after the third episode I've actually quite enjoyed it so far.

But considering I've never read Green Arrow comics and therefore do not have much background knowledge of the character himself, I was wondering how viners have found the series.

And whether you liked it or disliked it for whatever reason you may have. (Oh, and feel free to put the reason down if you wish)

#2 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@enigmalantern: Hey, I've only watched like 10 episodes of Arrow but I like it! Although there are some minor flaws. I am a fan of Green Arrow but don't like that Arrow basically kills everyone he comes up against. GA has killed a few times but in the show he basically kills all the henchmen and the bosses. Also, Arrow is very dark in the show. I've always liked the light, witty GA. Not a complaint at all, but I felt they had no need to change "Star City" into "Starling City." Makes no sense to even bother with such a small change. However I can live with these annoyances.

What I don't like is that the show can get really "soap-opera-like." I'm sure you've already seen enough to know that too much drama goes on with Thea's stupid issues, and Tommy and Laurel.

But I do like the show. It has cool action, amazing flashbacks to the island, and some very exciting plot.

#3 Posted by JohnnyGat (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually just watched the entire season 1 on one weekend and I enjoyed it. I mean I have my nitpicks but then again when it comes to these things I tend to view it as its own rather than compare it to its counterpart in the comics.

What I liked most about the Arrow series that it has this great attention to good fight choreography, not just in the action but in the amount of perspective switching while in the fight, seeing some fight scenes in high budget Hollywood blockbusters you easily notice the difference in the whole perspective switching many of the latter tend to over emphasize quick scene switching and constant zooming in whereas Arrow let's you see the fight in an adequate distance while still maintaining that sense of quick combat. Another thing I liked though nothing major is whenever I manage to get a reference nothing special but I like imagining how certain aspects of the DC universe fit in in this type of reality.

My main problem with the series mostly has to do with the excessive cheesiness that you sometimes see or rather hear when Ollie does his little mental speeches to himself but other than that I liked what I see and eagerly anticipate the next season.

#4 Edited by longbowhunter (7535 posts) - - Show Bio

I only made it through the first half of the series. The over acting and soap opera drama started to wear thin. I love Diggle and seeing Steve Amell jump from roof tops and fire arrows but really hate how weak they've made Laurel (Dinah). I may jump back on for the second season but its not on my list of priorities. Too much good TV out there more deserving of my time.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22695 posts) - - Show Bio

It's basically a soap opera with some DC characters thrown in....I like it a lot but I do have some complaints...my biggest is that it seems like they really wanted to do a Batman series and someone told them they couldn't so they changed Ollie's personality to Batman's

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

It is drastically different from the comics but if you ignore Thea and Laurel its a great show.

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (51200 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down the middle on it. It definitely has some standout moments but mostly hits a pretty average quality for me. For example, people seemed to LOVE the season finale and I thought it was just alright.

Staff
#8 Posted by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Yeah I do agree with you, the whole Laurel and Tommy thing gets slightly annoying from time to time but I can live with it. But I have thoroughly enjoyed the series so far.

@k4tzm4n said:

I'm down the middle on it. It definitely has some standout moments but mostly hits a pretty average quality for me. For example, people seemed to LOVE the season finale and I thought it was just alright.

Don't give anything away ALRIGHT. Ahaha

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series, anyone know of when the next season might be released, or have any ideas of some sort?

#9 Posted by JohnnyGat (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't give anything away ALRIGHT. Ahaha

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series, anyone know of when the next season might be released, or have any ideas of some sort?

Without spoiling anything they say they're going to have 2 big bads in the next season as opposed to the one big bad in this season (basically the in charge of the conspiracy that the whole show is built around on). Now assuming it won't be one big bad in present time and one in the flashback I'm willing to bet the big bads will be present in the corporate side and the criminal underground side respectively.

#10 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you guys interested in seeing other heroes in this show? What heroes and villains would be a good fit for Arrow?

#11 Edited by CheeseSticks (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is awesome ! The majority of the cast surrounding Ollie is pretty good (especially Felicity, Diggle and Slade)

@batmannflash: I'm hoping to see Prometheus or Onomatopoeia and i don't really want to see other hero. Green Arrow alone is better IMO. But again, i always loved more the hero when he's acting alone (I prefer Batman when he as no Robin with him).

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: I want the Question brought in, I know a lot of people are going to throw around Batman but that ain't gonna happen and others will mention Nightwing but bringing in Nightwing with no mention of Batman would seem weird to me.

#13 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yeah I've been thinking about the Question as well. It'll be pretty cool

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: If you can tough it out to the last quarter of season 1 it gets way better, also the dude they have playing Slade Wilson does Deathstroke's badass persona justice.

#15 Posted by longbowhunter (7535 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: At some point I'm sure I'll go back to season one. I would totally be in if they brought in the Question. My favorite era of GA stories was when he was teaming up with Vic Sage on the reg.

#16 Posted by DEGRAAF (7909 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched (and own) every season of Smallville and while excited also questioned whether or not this would be a good series.

After watching the first season i can officially say this is my new favorite show. While it is more realistic and slightly darker i think it fits well and am happy to see it continue on. I love all the cameos (will touch on this again later) and so far really enjoy the story and character interactions. The flashbacks to the island break up the story nicely when they need some down time between fights or vice versa if it is a slow episode. They show the dangers he faced and the training he went through to survive. I also love the lil easter eggs through out the show. I would like to see them name Wayne Enterprises or Lex Corp.

while it isnt a problem yet imo i do think they might want to cut back on the cameos unless they are going to be recurring characters. I had that issue with Smallville for some time too. I was afraid they were pushing the story to involve one episode stories of other characters. One of the great things Smallville did was mold the characters into its own. If the commercials has peaked anyones interest i think you would be happily enthused by the end product.

#17 Posted by lilben42 (2594 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it.

#18 Posted by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

It got better. And Laurel is still bad.

#19 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! Its already amazing times better than smallville ever was

#20 Posted by Justthatkid (4655 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: The crying ticking you off to, it seems to be every episode she's in

I find the story entertaining but it bothers me that he Kills people I always liked the joke-full side of Oliver and I think that's who makes him who he is maybe he'll mature or I should say de-mature into that.

#21 Posted by longbowhunter (7535 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: yeah the waterworks gets tiresome. Oliver has a pretty high body count in the show.. Seeing as how it's based off Grell's run its somewhat excusable.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki9876 said:

It got better. And Laurel is still bad.

She is better than the chick who played Huntress but she's better in the way that stage 3 cancer is better than stage 4.

#23 Edited by Justthatkid (4655 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I don't really get why he prevents her from killing her father someone whose killed and then he goes about killing himself @longbowhunter: Oh, I personally am use to the cocky playful Green Arrow so I did like that in Smallville and JLU

#24 Posted by Duncan (11447 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: I think that was more a product of the show working out its kinks and I figure what happened in the season finale would be a good way to establish a future no kill code for Ollie or at least make him reevaluate the way he does things.

#26 Posted by Justthatkid (4655 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy who plays him is actually kinda funny in real life, but the way they write Ollie it's like he has no personality.

#28 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a pretty decent series! I enjoy it.

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@randomsuperuser: Yea, tho the few episodes where they had actual comic writers come in where probably the best episodes, they just need to stick with the comic writers and ditch the by committee tv writing BS.

#30 Posted by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Geoff Johns wrote episode 7 in which they introduced Huntress. It was around here that the show started getting better and less soap opera-ish, except for that romance between Ollie and Helena, so yeah you're right about that.

So far, "Laurel" doesn't have much going for her either. She kinda reminds me of Lana Lang from Smallville, blah. I hope they do something to improve her character.

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@randomsuperuser: The biggest problem with Huntress is the actress playing her, she delivers lines like she's reading a teleprompter, and never once looks like she has a single genuine emotion.

#32 Edited by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: The same goes for most the cast, tbh, with the exception of a few.

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

@randomsuperuser: I like Ollie, Diggle, Felicity and of course Malcom because he's Capt. Jack

#34 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: The same goes for most the cast, tbh, with the exception of a few.

I like Steven Amell, he's decent actor. Colin Donnell, Tommy Merlyn, was great.

Huntress was the worst, but she was hot, so I didn't exactly hate her character.

#35 Posted by Wolverine08 (45174 posts) - - Show Bio

Arrow is awesome! Made me love Green Arrow.

#36 Posted by longbowhunter (7535 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid: That's fair. Both versions are true to the character.

#37 Posted by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I loved John Barrowman on Arrow! He was great, my favorite! Followed by Felicity and Diggle. I really like this Oliver better than the one in Smallville who went through that horrendous guilt trip after killing Lex.

@john_valentine: Stephen Amell definitely gets better, but I'd like to see some more of Ollie's humorous side. I liked Tommy, I was hoping they would give him a better storyline besides being in love with his best friend's ex. I was hoping they'd keep him and make him the next Dark Archer or something.

#38 Posted by danhimself (22695 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it....sure it's a little soap opera-y and sometimes it seems that they just photoshoped Green Arrow into a Batman series

#39 Edited by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: There have been so many easter eggs in this show, I wanna cry.

#40 Posted by DEGRAAF (7909 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Arrows biggest fail so far i think is Huntress. She looked terrible. I know she would have looked bad in her original suit too but i personally would have liked it more lol

#41 Posted by viin (656 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive watched the first 2 episodes awhile back and I just didnt get into it. I think its just the acting in general that I dont like. Just seems a little cheap. I felt the same way about Smallville and the new Agents of Shield looks about the same. I have really been enjoying the current Green Arrow comic though, Lemire and Sorrentino are doing great. I guess if the show helps the recognition of Green Arrow Im happy. I wanna see Ollie on the big screen.

#42 Posted by randomsuperuser (27 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf: When they were searching for her costume online she was all like "does it come in purple" and then it didn't even have any purple in it.

#43 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it!

#44 Posted by The_Tree (7879 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan. I don't like how a lot of the characters are portrayed (Count Vertigo was just sad) and the show has a very "teen drama" feel to it. I also don't give a s### about Moira and Thea Queen.

There are also small changes that shouldn't matter but they still bug me. (Starling City, Laurel).

#45 Edited by Justthatkid (4655 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf: When they were searching for her costume online she was all like "does it come in purple" and then it didn't even have any purple in it.

xD, I actually liked Huntress's portrayal.

#46 Posted by SupBatz (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes I like it, sometimes not so much. I really dislike how the show portrays Laurel. And the acting can be pretty horrible. Soap opera drama is irksome. And Ollie himself is severely lacking in his usual charm.

But every now and then, I enjoy what I see from the show. Dig, Felicity, Thea, and Roy are pretty great.

#47 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12088 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK Trilogy+Smallville+Soap Opera= Arrow.

Not being bad, but many of the changes made to the character were ridiculous and being made to make them more like a Batman characters.

Vertigo being a Second Rate Scarecrow being the worst example, saddly this would be ok if it wasnt for the fact the movies now have to deal with all the problem this show builds.

Now that it looks the show is trying to build the Suicide Squad, they have an Squad with the terrible version of the character this show made, what it means they would be a villains generic group of villains and nothing more, then when Marvel do the Thunderbolts, DC will find out Arrow screw their chances to get a Suicide Squad spin off.

Dinah is Rachel Dawes, Rachel wasnt even a popualr character in the Batman movies.

They would had to find a way to make this better, if they try to forget about Batman and deal with Green Arrow.

#48 Posted by gor724 (839 posts) - - Show Bio

It started off great in the first few episodes.... And than it dropped for a while. It was to much about relationships and stuff, and then around episode 20-23, were pure gold. I have to say though, during that mid season drop, I was still interested in the back story on the is Island

#49 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the show, I do but some of the choices they are making really peeve me off. They treated the lead actress who plays Laurel [and got awful writing last season, like wow] like she wasn't there so they could focus on Felicity because she's a fan favourite and that's not okay. Like I'm pretty sure at the panel if it weren't for Emily, Katie would have said nothing because no one was asking her questions.

And don't get me started on the whitewashing of Sin. If they wanted a teenage street kid they could have used Mia, like sweet lord.

Also still angry that they showed Helena to be the villain when she's an antihero at best. [Also wow Oliver was such a giant hypocrite when it came to that plotline since he kills every guard that he comes into contact with]

Oh and for the Laurel stuff, she's moving to the DA's office so she'll deal with Moira's court case as well as the Black Canary plotline that is going to be starting up this season.

#50 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Yes exactly I've been thinking the same thing. It's like the writers/creators really wanted Batman but they got Green Arrow instead. Green Arrow needs his own voice not Batman's!!