• 59 results
#1 Edited by SwampPing (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok let me just start by saying the Green Arrow comics (Lemire/Sorrentino) are stellar right now and I started watching the television show hoping to love it. I didn't and that's fine, shows suck and thats normal. But how is it that with its cardboard acting and lack of overall superheroics (seriously like 60% is rich person dating drama) Arrow never seems to get any negative light. I mean they just cast a f%&#ing glee actor as the Flash! ****ing GLEE! Internet attack! I'm baffled that no one else recognizes this shows lack of quality and it's sad because its given DC the go ahead to ruin other characters by putting them onto soap opera's (WW and Hourman are next)

Does anyone else hate this show?

#2 Posted by JetiiMitra (9016 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's not all that bad.

Opinions, man.

And casting a Glee actor has no bearing on how good the show is.

#3 Edited by mikex20 (2810 posts) - - Show Bio

The Gossip Girl Archer does not impress me.

#4 Posted by HumanRocket (10229 posts) - - Show Bio

^^ haha

#5 Posted by gor724 (840 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the first season was defiantly slow, and well... Terrible, but I stuck in there and it really picks up by the end of season 1, and season 2 has been great so far

#6 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not really like it at all...it just seems like a typical CW drama or something combined with Green Arrow.

#7 Posted by Night Thrasher (3796 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a good series, not great...but worth watching every week. I would say that it's at least a 7/10 overall with the worst being around 5/10 and the best around 8.5/10. It doesn't blow me away at any time but it doesn't really ever make me wish for my hour back. The fact that it kinda has to conform to the CW style of drama is a bit of a setback though. It would be much better on FX.

#8 Posted by Manchine (4257 posts) - - Show Bio

Season 1 was great everything built up to a final conclusion. Unfortunately I have seen any season 2 yet. Got rid of my cable. =(

#9 Posted by RisingBean (5286 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine: You could download the CW app and watch it? That is how I do it.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24842 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great another guy telling people they are stupid for liking something they don't, so original.

#11 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

Would've been great if the real Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Dinah Lance/Black Canary show up. I don't see them anywhere!!

#12 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

It's alright.

#13 Posted by JonSmith (4030 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. Admittedly, it's Batman. But I like Batman. And while I agree that Oliver himself is a little... stoic... It fits his character as a traumatized, cold, survivor trying to act like the easy, immature playboy he was when he left. And when called upon to show some emotion, he's actually pretty good, as was seen recently when describing to his comrades why he doesn't talk about the Island.

Not to mention he's gradually becoming the Green Arrow we know. Just like Clark gradually became Superman in Smallville, the foundations of his character are there from the get go, but how the character is built FROM those foundations is the bit we're seeing. It's not the character we necessarily know or want to see because they're NOT that character yet.

And as for Glee Flash... I never watched Glee. Or much TV in general in the last... five or six years. This and Agents of SHIELD are the only shows I'm watching, and I tend to watch them on the internet. So I have no exposure to Glee or the actor in question, and as such no bias concerning his acting skills. Was he bad in Glee?

#14 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the show

#16 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19225 posts) - - Show Bio

All entertainment is subjective.

#17 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I. It's all subjective $#!%.

II. Fanboys love wHat tHey love and you can't tell tHem any different. THey "blindly" love wHat tHey love.

III. Opinions man. It is annoying to genuinely like sometHing but Have someone else is "let you know" you are "wrong."

It is annoying to clearly see garbage but otHers want to "enligHten" you into "realizing" tHat it's "not THat BAD."

IV. 2 different people live in tHe same building. One lives up top, Has a beautiful view of tHe city. THat person can see tHe beacH, tHe clubs, tHe restaurants, and all the grandeur of tHis city.

However, tHe second person lives underneatH tHe building and enters tHrougH tHe back. THis person sees tHe daily violence and crimes. THis person sees the rats and tHe trasH of tHe city.

Person up top says "tHis is a gorgeous city." Person down low says, "tHis is a filtHy city."

WHo's rigHt? WHo's wrong? Correct answer, tHey are botH are rigHt. Because... "I. It's all subjective $#!%."

-ABstract4$$#073-

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (15421 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it doesn't have a bad reputation because it actually isn't that bad and there a few people like you who don't like the show at all.The show is definitely my favorite thing on TV but it entertains me and it definitely holds me interested for the 40 minutes it lasts.

#19 Posted by Manchine (4257 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine: You could download the CW app and watch it? That is how I do it.

If I owned a cell phone I could do that. =)

#20 Edited by War Killer (20368 posts) - - Show Bio

But in all seriousness, it all comes down to opinions. My dad and I have been watching the series since episode 1, we admit that it's not perfect and some episodes are better than others, but we still enjoy the show and love have characters how developed and grown since the start of the series.

#21 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19225 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Dernman (16532 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by RisingBean (5286 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine: No, um. computer or X-box should work. I watch mine on my X-box online.

#25 Posted by Manchine (4257 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't have Xbox - playstation...... =) I will find it on the puter. =)

#26 Edited by flameboy298 (1929 posts) - - Show Bio

Or how about the terrible actress playing Black Canary,and I agree OP Im starting to notice the acting in this show is definitely medicore

#27 Edited by The Stegman (27286 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than AOS

#28 Posted by SupBatz (1937 posts) - - Show Bio

What does Flash's actor being on Glee have to do with the quality of the show? He hasn't even appeared yet so you can't judge his performance based on a (very minor) role he had in a completely different series.

More on the matter at hand, Arrow is definitely flawed. The first season, especially, showed that. The second season has impressed me so far. They're definitely working to improve a lot of what was wrong with the first season. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. But it is most definitely something that I can look forward to every week."
On a side note, the acting can be pretty horrible. Sometimes it's decent enough. But the cast really needs to go to group acting lessons soon. The only one who can really hold her own is Felicity.

#29 Posted by SwampPing (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you to those of you that shared your honest opinion and didn't just get defensive and bull&#@* about subjectivity.

Of course I recognize the subjectivity of entertainment, but that's not what I was asking :/, if you like the show fine, that's your right, I'm glad you can get enjoyment out of it, its just baffling that the internet explodes in fury over man of steel casting rumors but this show gets off scott free most of the time.

#30 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19225 posts) - - Show Bio

for the record, when you take a stance on something and find yourself in the minority, you should probably reevaluate your stance just to be sure.

its fine if you don't like it, when 9/10 people like something and you don't, you might be missing something.

everyone thinks they're the exception to the rule, when the reality is, they aren't.

#31 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Edited by mikex20 (1437 posts) - 4 days, 7 hours ago - Show Bio

The Gossip Girl Archer does not impress me.

Lol. ^This

#32 Posted by batmannflash (6227 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that bad

#33 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok let me just start by saying the Green Arrow comics (Lemire/Sorrentino) are stellar right now and I started watching the television show hoping to love it. I didn't and that's fine, shows suck and thats normal. But how is it that with its cardboard acting and lack of overall superheroics (seriously like 60% is rich person dating drama) Arrow never seems to get any negative light. I mean they just cast a f%&#ing glee actor as the Flash! ****ing GLEE! Internet attack! I'm baffled that no one else recognizes this shows lack of quality and it's sad because its given DC the go ahead to ruin other characters by putting them onto soap opera's (WW and Hourman are next)

Does anyone else hate this show?

Seriously how does this have any bearing whatsoever on the quality of the show?

#34 Edited by w0nd (4347 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you to those of you that shared your honest opinion and didn't just get defensive and bull&#@* about subjectivity.

Of course I recognize the subjectivity of entertainment, but that's not what I was asking :/, if you like the show fine, that's your right, I'm glad you can get enjoyment out of it, its just baffling that the internet explodes in fury over man of steel casting rumors but this show gets off scott free most of the time.

because man of steels popularity is light years beyond arrows. You don't see large discussion groups about Arrow because it has a selective fan base. It's a CW show, it would honestly take more energy then it's worth to complain about it in the manner you have but I am sure tons of people do.

#35 Edited by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

HOW DARE PEOPLE LIKE SOMETHING I don't? ITS NOT WHAT I WANT SO IT sucks! MY OPINION IS THE CORRECT one! EVERYONE ELSE IS wrong! GLEE! GLEE!

That's what I mustered from the OP, verbatim, of course. Arrow isn't Emmy-award winning, but that doesn't mean we should all think its "terrible".

#36 Posted by THORSON (2693 posts) - - Show Bio

eeks A batman fan.

(if its not batman then it sucks.)

#37 Posted by MideonNViscera (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I realize it's mediocre. I watched 2 or 3 episodes in a row once and it wasn't terrible haha Especially compared to how many truly terrible shows there are.

#38 Edited by SlamAdams (303 posts) - - Show Bio

@swampping: Really? One is an isolated TV show that is fun enough but can be skipped without missing much and the other side is casting rumors surrounding a film franchise that for all intents and purposes at the moment is serving as a stepping stone to a shared film universe. I don't feel weird or strange at all taking Arrow casting in stride while hoping and wanting the best for Man of steel

#39 Posted by Bigbadwolfx0 (362 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the first season but the secon season is missing something

#40 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (13611 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

Now if you've seen my blog, you know I wrote a blog post about Arrow not being Green Arrow.

However after seeing what is actually is happening with the show, its becoming more like The Dark Knight Trilogy fan fiction:

• It's realistic style in the style of Nolan but looks rather cheap about this.
  • The island flashbacks play linearly like both TDKT and Man of Steel.
  • Deathstroke basically plays Liam Neeson's role
  • Dinah Laurel Lance aka The Black Canary is playing the Rachel Dawes role unfortunately.
  • Diggle is a mix of Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox and Michael Caine's Alfred.
  • The whole hostage situation on Christmas Eve plays exactly like Joker's various hostage scenarios in The Dark Knight particularly the one at the end.
  • The copycat archers is exactly like the beginning of The Dark Knight with Batman jumping in to one of his copycats.
  • Oliver is basically brooding which is odd because in the comics, he mocks Bruce about this.
  • The Earthquake/City wide destruction is basically Bane/League of Shadows/assassins in TDKR which in turns is based on two Batman comic story lines.
  • Count Vertigo is an exact copy of Cillan Murphy's Scarecrow particularly because he acts creepily which Murphy did so well but here its a bit dull.
  • He uses an funny voice.
  • The League of Assassins/Ra's Al Ghul mentioned which is odd.
  • Black Canary kills and almost echoes Nolan's Catwoman and Sin is basically Holly Robinson

Add anything else. But Green Arrow deserves to have his own voice not a simple copy of Nolan's Batman because Green Arrow has always been funnier, social-political and quick-witted. Basically he shouldn't be reverted back to being the 1950s knock-off he once was.

#41 Edited by Jimmie_Hudson_ (296 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: so basically batman carries the dc franchise even when he isn't carrying the franchise?

#42 Posted by Knightfall225 (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

Its better than that agents of shield crap.

#43 Edited by MrMazz (1174 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: excellent use of meme picture Imma steal that ish now plzthankyouby

@SwamPing your formaton of argument is poor and comes off as juvinile - yes the guy playing Flash was once on Glee, he's an actor he is paid to act.

also this constant use of soap opera as insult don't seem to understand the beginings of comircial drama or realize that superhero books are basicaly melodramas with superpowers

#44 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that Arrow is awful, and I also dont get what people like about it. Very Soap Opera-y (like Smallville) and VERY cheesy/campy. It feels like it has more in common with Vampire Diaries and that sort of tween drama than its super hero roots. And I really, really wanted to like Arrow, especially since people compared it Nolan's Batman. I want more DC, and I really like Green Arrow, but I was sorely disappointed.

#45 Posted by joshmightbe (24842 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: You know when Lee and Kirby were reinventing the comic genre back in the 60s, one of the standard complaints was the dramatic "Soap Opera Like" elements they added in things like the Fantastic 4, X-Men and Hulk.

#46 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: You know when Lee and Kirby were reinventing the comic genre back in the 60s, one of the standard complaints was the dramatic "Soap Opera Like" elements they added in things like the Fantastic 4, X-Men and Hulk.

Thats cool. Doesnt really impact how I view this show, but great factoid.

#47 Posted by Squares (8397 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people like crappy action shows and/or just have bad taste.

#48 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (13611 posts) - - Show Bio

Its better than that agents of shield crap.

So if its better that crap it means us good?

No,it could still be crap, less crappy but still.

@deathpoolthet1000: so basically batman carries the dc franchise even when he isn't carrying the franchise?

He is Batman, thats what he does, he is going to star the next Superman movie.

Because Batman belive he is the only star of the show.

Besides they did this in Smallville, Green Arrow was pretty much Batman.

#49 Posted by Vitalius (2917 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000:

League of Assassins were common enemy to Black Canary, Birds of Prey, both Green Arrows and Team Arrow.

#50 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7379 posts) - - Show Bio

Hadn't watched any comic book tv show since Smallville. I just manage to watch one epi of arrow in season one.

We all have our opinions.