k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

GREEN ARROW #17 set Oliver Queen, a.k.a. Green Arrow, on a new and very exciting path. Writer Jeff Lemire not only focused on Ollie's development, but he also took major steps to flesh out his mythos and expand the group of heroes and villains that populate the Emerald Archer's world. That alone made the comic worth checking out, but artist Andrea Sorrentino and colorist Marcelo Maiolo complimented the writer's script with some absolutely brilliant pages. Unfortunately, GREEN ARROW: FUTURES END #1 marked the end of this creative team's time with the series. They'll be an incredibly tough act to follow, but instead of looking forward, we thought it would be fun to reflect on this terrific run. The issues are overflowing with awesome moments and we're going to celebrate the run by highlighting some of especially cool moments.

Obviously, everyone's favorite scene won't be here, so if that's the case, visit the comments section and share your top moment with the world in there. Now, let's go ahead and take a wonderful trip down memory lane. Oh, and there's obviously spoilers ahead.

Count Vertigo blows your mind

No Caption Provided

Count Vertigo's role gave Sorrentino and Maiolo the opportunity to create some truly stunning visuals. From the villain causing all kinds of havoc on the streets of Seattle to getting a ridiculously detailed look at the kind of damage his attack does to Oliver's head, picking just one example of the Count in action was a very, very difficult choice. Considering just how staggeringly impressive the above piece of artwork is, we couldn't help but side with that one. Their first encounter had quite a few creative pieces of artwork, but the above moment is just so magnificent, isn't it? Don't worry, Oliver later gets some sweet, sweet revenge on the fiend.

"Richard Dragon" makes his debut

No Caption Provided

As Green Arrow worried about the Outsiders, a new threat was taking Seattle by storm. Going by the name "Richard Dragon," this foe had one heck of an amazing debut as he swiftly took out goons and looked insanely formidable as he grabbed a man by the throat. It's a delightfully intense page which brings the city to life and makes this new bad guy look every bit as formidable as he should. This was a great way to build the hype for the Broken storyline, too.

The sword is mightier than the fist

No Caption Provided

The Outsiders War forced clans to take sides and the clash which followed was quite epic. This battle consisted of a tense encounter with Oliver's family and Komodo, but the showdown between Katana and Onyx was seriously cool. Can the head of the Fist Clan disarm the head of the Sword Clan and dish out a proper beatdown? Well, it turns out the answer is a clear no and what follows is a scene that would make George Lucas smile. It's a glorious moment for us and not-so-pleasant moment for the head of the Fist Clan.

Hey there, son

No Caption Provided

Wait, what?! Like we said in the intro, Lemire focused on expanding Oliver Queen's mythos and the writer instilled some huge changes in his origin story. One of these changes is the role his father, Robert Queen, played in his life. When you have an immortal shapeshifter named Magus in your story, it's pretty easy to give someone a fake death and that's exactly what they did with Robert. Not only was Green Arrow's father alive, but he viciously trained Ollie on the island and played a critical role in the events which followed. Sadly, his return didn't last very long. The villainous Komodo fired an arrow at Emiko Queen and Robert jumped in the way of the projectile to protect her. It's unfortunate he "returned from the dead" only to die for real, but at least he had an honorable demise.

Downtime with Diggle

No Caption Provided

If you watch Arrow, you likely know one of the most appealing parts of the show is Oliver's teammate, John Diggle. Seeing as so many fans love the character, Lemire and Sorrentino brought him into The New 52 and gave him plenty of history with the archer. The creative team gave him a rough time as he bumped into the likes of Killer Moth and Richard Dragon, but his dynamic with the hero was entertaining and it was great seeing them get a little bit of downtime during an elevator ride before absolutely obliterating Dragon's goons. It was a nice bit of levity in a story that's loaded with drama and intensity.

Komodo does his best Deathstroke impression

No Caption Provided

The fights between Green Arrow and Komodo were gripping and shockingly brutal. From their first battle in GREEN ARROW #17 to his death at the end of The Outsiders War, the conflict these two had was both exciting and totally engrossing. However, it was their brawl in the graveyard which left a particularly powerful impression. From the heavy rainfall to the high level of ferocity as these two duked it out, it was a memorable melee and the ending was a real jaw-dropper. Stabbing Komodo in the eye was swift and ruthless turn of events, but the splash page Sorrentino and Maiolo created for it was beyond fantastic. It's an image that's sure to linger in your memory.

Say "hello" to the Longbow Hunters

No Caption Provided

Junior Diaz, a.k.a. Richard Dragon, is intimidating enough on his own, but if he's going to control an entire city, he's going to need an army. His army: the Longbow Hunters! As you can clearly see above, the evil team made a mighty fine debut. This badass splash page was, of course, saved for a cliffhanger and it had us beyond thrilled to see what came next. As expected, what came next was a whole lot of amusing action. Poor Brick...

The Emerald Duo

No Caption Provided

GREEN ARROW's action scenes often took place in dark environments and this complimented the tone well. From a rainy graveyard to fighting under a full moon, Oliver's conflicts often had a foreboding atmosphere. But the creative team decided to conclude their final issue with the primary ongoing on a bright and optimistic note. We've had so many praiseworthy panels of these characters striking a pose at night, but with this one, it was far more fitting to have them bombarded by the sun's light. Emiko and Oliver are side by side and prepared for whatever the future may have in store for them. The captions blatantly spell that out for us, but honestly, you don't even need those to understand the message this page is sending. Broken was a violent and harsh story, so this was a surprisingly nice way to wrap it up. Let's just hope Oliver and Emiko will indeed have a bright future in The New 52.

Emiko Arrow & Naomi Dart

No Caption Provided

Emiko Queen is such a lovable character and Naomi Singh was showing impressive signs of bravery at the end of Broken, so it's awesome to see these two step up and protect their city in DC's latest big story, Futures End. GREEN ARROW: THE FUTURES END #1 showed us why this is such a fun team-up right on the very first page. Seeing as Naomi previously used Red Dart's gauntlet to save the day and she has an emphasis on technology, having her slip into that character's mantle and use it for good feels appropriate. Here's hoping these two stick around when the new creative team takes over.

Green Arrow Vol 4: The Kill Machine is current available and Green Arrow Vol 5: The Outsiders War will go on sale October 14.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

still waiting for someone to turn that splash page into a mind=blown gif.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Really enjoy Deathstroke is in Green Arrow Futures End. Can you imagine Lemire do story about Ollie vs Deathstroke if Lemire not leave this book. Man that will be EPIC

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

One of the best green arrow runs, shame it wasn't able to continue.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'll miss those guys, but better to have a few issues from Lemire, Sorrentino, and Maiolo than none at all.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Imo Judd Winnick and Jeff Lemire will be remember as one of the great Green Arrow comics writer

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@boynerdgeek: Definitely. I'd throw Chuck Dixon on there too. I hope Jeff Lemire returns to Green Arrow one day. Simone returned to Secret Six, so why not haha?

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gregg, I just noticed something. Why wasn't there a best battles segment for Green Arrow when it was COTM?

Night_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely gutted. They took one of the worst New 52 books and turned it into one of, if not the, best. Does anyone know if the team has been signed onto anything else now?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Gregg, I just noticed something. Why wasn't there a best battles segment for Green Arrow when it was COTM?

Green Arrow hasn't been the Character of the Month. So far the only winners have been Spider-Man, Moon Knight, Deathstroke, and Batman.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite scene was the flashback when he escapes and kills the guy that's been torturing him. The inner monologue he had during that scene was amazing.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

This was a fantastic run. I doubt the next creative team can team this.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: That has to change. Now does it haha?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I loved this run. One of my favorite New 52 runs & my favorite Green Arrow run. I would have loved to see what Lemire would have done with Roy or Deathstroke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Not since Remender's Uncanny X-Force have I loved a writer's run on a series... and I'm going to miss this one even more than I missed that.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Transformers1024

Is it now safe to say that Lemire has just told the greatest Green Arrow story of all time?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@boynerdgeek: Definitely. I'd throw Chuck Dixon on there too. I hope Jeff Lemire returns to Green Arrow one day. Simone returned to Secret Six, so why not haha?

I'd add Andy Diggle to that as well, he did have a character named after him after all.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: That has to change. Now does it haha?

I'd love to see Green Arrow become the Character of the Month. Maybe we'll have "accurate characters" as a theme at some point...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze said:

I'd add Andy Diggle to that as well, he did have a character named after him after all.

Let us not forget O'Neil.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Does Emiko remind anyone else of ol' Damian Wayne?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@anjales said:

Yes, and I'd say that's a good thing.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@k4tzm4n: I would definitely read a crossover where Damian meets Emiko, let's see who outbrats the other.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mrnoital

as you should be able to tell one of my favorites is on this list

but my new favorite might be their deathstroke

Komodo did an impression of who?

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh the memories that this article has brought. I'm going to miss this run. Can't wait to reread it.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By frogjitsu

I hope DC makes an omnibus of this run, it looks pretty awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CorruptedOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CorruptedOwl
ovidkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@anjales said:

Yes, and I'd say that's a good thing.

Great now I can't get the thought as them as teenagers kissing.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Kidd

All of there are some my favorite moments from this run some others are:

Gaining Enlightenment:

No Caption Provided

Introduction of Magus & Outsiders:

No Caption Provided

First time meeting Batman:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope DC makes an omnibus of this run, it looks pretty awesome.

I do too.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@mrnoital said:

as you should be able to tell one of my favorites is on this list

but my new favorite might be their deathstroke

Ha! Yeah, I was so happy to see Deathstroke appear in their final chapter. Loved his caption, too.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night_raven said:

Absolutely gutted. They took one of the worst New 52 books and turned it into one of, if not the, best. Does anyone know if the team has been signed onto anything else now?

they're moving to different things

Jeff Lemire is working on Futures End, Justice League United, and some comics for other companies, like Black Hammer, and The Valiant

Andrea Sorrentino is working on 2 annuals for All-New X-Men, and hinted at something after that he can't reveal yet

Marcelo Maiolo is doing the colouring for Green Lantern Corps and maybe something else, I'm not sure

@k4tzm4n: Yeah they had some great captions, such as "Oliver Queen the real Green Arrow 'nuff said"

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I will miss them on this book. Lemire has real talent, every book I've read of his is remarkable and amazing and this is probably my favorite run of his on a book.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Green Arrow

Night_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Ohh yes of course, I'm reading JLU and Futures End already. Thanks a lot, absolutely adored Sorrentino's artwork as well so I'll have to keep an eye out for this 'secret' project!

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By laabitres

thats it im reading this

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a sublime piece of work, I'm going to thoroughly miss this creative team. They turned one of N52s worst titles to arguably its best. Not many creative teams can do that. And I loved their Green Arrow: Futures End issue to finish off their run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here you go!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@xwraith said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Here you go!

No Caption Provided

finally lol. I'm appalled no one did it all ready

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Been a great ride!