• 56 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Oliver Queen is the best at what he does, and what he does is shoot arrows very, very accurately. Since making his debut back in 1941's MORE FUN COMICS #73, Green Arrow has shown us time and time again just how gifted he is with a bow. He's defeated countless goons and used well-placed arrows to save the day and topple threats. There's plenty of great examples of him beating fodder or ending things with a single arrow, but we want to celebrate some of his most intense and memorable battles. If your favorite Emerald Archer fight isn't below, go ahead and show it some love in the comments.

vs. Hackett (GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE #3)

No Caption Provided

Andy Diggle, Jock, and David Baron'sGREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE is all about Ollie transforming from a spoiled brat into a brave man. He initially crafts the bow for survival purposes (it makes catching fish easier, and a guy needs to eat, yes?), but when he discovers the island he's stranded on is run by a cruel heroin manufacturer named China White, he takes action. Technically, his first fight was against a plane (which was quite awesome) and the limited series concludes with some great action, but what's especially memorable is when Ollie discovers that Hackett, a man he previously worked with, is part of China White's operation. Ollie stalks the man in the woods and the two have a gripping confrontation. Seeing Oliver dodge bullets and then fire and arrow at the man while doing a flip was absurdly cool. In the end, it's Hackett's bloodlust that allows Oliver to walk away from the encounter, but it's still a terrific fight. Jock and Baron's excellent pages are just a very nice bonus.

vs. Brick (GREEN ARROW #45)

No Caption Provided

Brick, a guy with boosted durability, has worked his way up the criminal empire's ladder and become Star City's crime lord. He has several key players in his pocket and he's enjoying the power. Oliver, however, wants to take his city back. Instead of creating an elaborate plan to take down Brick's operation, Oliver simply walks in and challenges the dude to a fight. Whoever wins gets control of the city. The villain views himself as a business man and has no problem agreeing to the terms. Seeing as Brick refers to Ollie's weapons as "toys," it's obvious he was more than confident he had this one in the bag. What follows is fantastic. Brick's too durable for Oliver's arrows and attacks. Ollie keeps trying and trying, but eventually Brick begins to smack him around. Thinking he has the clear edge, he begins to run his mouth, and Oliver uses that literal opening for an upgraded glue bomb (he says it's a high-grade industrial adhesive). As if the physical defeat wasn't humiliating enough, Green Arrow gives him a verbal beating, too. If you don't think Green Arrow's badass, read this full fight and it's sure to change your mind.

vs. Komodo (GREEN ARROW #20)

No Caption Provided

Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo'sNew 52 run is loaded with exciting action, but Oliver's fight with Komodo in a graveyard was jaw-dropping. Taking place during a heavy downpour, Sorrentino and Maiolo created some brilliant and amazingly immersive panels as these two archers unleashed projectiles at each other. Eventually, it came down to close quarters combat and, as you can see above, the fight took a very savage turn. It's without question one of the most stunning scenes from the run and has unforgettable artwork.

vs. Onomatopoeia (GREEN ARROW #15)

No Caption Provided

Onomatopoeia, a heartless villain who targets human heroes, has shot Oliver's son, Connor, in the head. As doctor's struggle to save Connor's life, the villain interrupts and wants to finish what he started. Green Arrow's able to swiftly get the better of the gunman and places an arrow right in the foe's mouth. The conditions are simple: If Connor dies, Oliver fires the arrow. If he lives, well, they'll just have to wait and see what happens. More than thirty minutes pass and, as you more than likely know, Connor is saved by the doctors. Ono's bites down and kicks Ollie away, and what happens next is a bloody good time. Oliver puts non-lethal shot after non-lethal shot into the bad guy, but the fiend just won't slow down. Even though he's heavily injured, Onomatopoeia is able to eventually escape after falling off the side of the building. It's all delightfully over-the-top and brutal.

vs. "Richard Dragon" (GREEN ARROW #34)

No Caption Provided

Junior Diaz -- a seriously skilled fighter who has taken the name Richard Dragon -- has come face to face with Green Arrow and John Diggle. Even though it's two against one, Diaz has the advantage. He's able to analyze his foes and swiftly discover the best way to defeat his opponents. It's an embarrassing showing for the two heroes as they suffer a relentless beating. Diggle's stabbed in the hand, Oliver's bow is broken, and the two are treated to a flurry of strikes. It seems like all hope is lost, but then the two use a bit of twisted teamwork to overcome the odds. Diggle rips the arrow out of his hand, tosses it to Ollie, and then the DC hero uses that to stab Diz in a femoral artery. Oliver and John suffeed one hell of a beating, but they were most definitely not broken. Obviously, Sorrentino and Maiolo's creative pages are another big reason why this is such a memorable showdown. The encounter sells Diaz's reflexes short in the end, but it's still awesome.

vs. Solomon Grundy (GREEN ARROW #18)

No Caption Provided

"Grundy no like arrows in face!"

Ollie and Roy have returned to the Arrowcave, but it turns out Solomon Grundy has decided to call the place his home. Roy is immediately taken out of the fight and Oliver can't tell if his partner is still alive. The fight reminds us over and over again how much of an uphill struggle this is for the hero and how he's lucky to be alive when all is said and done. Oliver's constantly telling us the pain he's going through and it shows the lengths he'll go to protect the people he loves. When all is said and done, Roy asks, "Did you really beat Solomon Grundy?" Ollie's reply is simply, "Yup." It's a hugely impressive showing for the hero and, just like with many of the other choices, Phil Hester's animated character work is a real delight.

vs. Deadshot (DEADSHOT #3)

No Caption Provided

How could we not include a battle between two of DC's best marksmen?! Writer Christos Gage makes the fight every bit as fun as it should be. Arrows are shot out of the air; arrows get stuck in gun barrels; and the two seem to enjoy bantering as they stay on the move and keep on shooting. It isn't too long before the residents of Star City's "The Triangle" interrupt the fight and Ollie realizes Floyd Lawton's actually helping the community. So, instead of being stubborn and continuing the shootout, the two go to a bar to discuss what's going on. And yes, they play a game of darts.

vs. Constantine Drakon (GREEN ARROW #29)

No Caption Provided

Constantine Drakon dominated Green Arrow in their first fight. The arrogant assassin has an unspecified level of super-speed and it allows him to effortlessly dance around Ollie's attacks and catch all of his arrows with ease. He's crazy good and he sure likes to brag about it. The only reason he doesn't kill Oliver in their fist fight is because he wouldn't get any cash for it. However, Oliver decides to use this against the villain in another fight. Knowing Drakon loves to showoff and catch projectiles, the archer uses that to his advantage and makes sure Drakon catches a trick arrow. He then adds insult to injury by planting an arrow in the bad guy's foot. Even though Drakon's blinded and full of rage, he's still firing two pistols with frightening good accuracy, so Ollie makes a run for it. Still, it was thrilling to see Oliver temporarily get the better of this insanely dangerous character.

vs. Count Vertigo (GREEN ARROW #24)

No Caption Provided

"ONE PUNCH! ONE PUNCH!"

Count Vertigo's causing all kinds of chaos in Seattle and only Oliver Queen can stop him! Vertigo unleashes his ability and Oliver thinks about how it makes him want to vomit, but this isn't the first time he's been hit by the attack. Instead, he stops fighting it and begins to accept the madness and adapt to it. While others may collapse and lose control, Ollie finds the strength to move forward and clock the Count with a glorious punch. To make sure Vertigo can do no more damage, Ollie then rips off the device that grants Vertigo his power. Once again, this whole conflict is brought to life beautifully by Sorrentino and Maiolo.

vs. Deathstroke (GREEN ARROW #62)

No Caption Provided

Everyone knows Batman can do virtually anything with some prep time. This encounter reveals that Ollie isn't exactly shabby with it, either. Thanks to having new skills with a blade and a whole lot of time to prepare, Oliver's trap for Deathstroke works perfectly. Deathstroke ends up in a pit and its sticky floor restricts his movement, but Oliver's boots are coated with a substance that allows him to be every bit as nimble as he wants to be. It's an entertaining display as Oliver holds his own against Slade Wilson and the mercenary even thinks to himself about how much better Oliver has become. The authorities show up shortly later and Slade has two options: go down fighting or surrender. The deadly dude picks the latter. Sure, the next issue reveals Slade allowed himself to get captured so he could meet with Constantine Drakon in prison, but it's still quite a showing, isn't it?

"But what about the boxing glove arrow?!" Fine, here you go.

No Caption Provided

What's your favorite Green Arrow battle?

DarkKnightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Very cool.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

all some of my favorite battles

in the one vs Deathstroke Slade even thinks to himself that GA has him beat and he needs to know more

which is why he didn't try to kill all the cops

and I love how that fight goes for the entire issue

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Amazing choices. I really have to go back and pick up some of these trades.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Some very nice battles here, I'll definitely check out some of the ones that I haven't seen before.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That scan of GA verbally beating the crap out of Brick almost made me laugh.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

80% of the battles are battles that I've only heard of and seen scans from. I still have to read Winick's volume and Grel's volume and from the looks of these battles I need to do it sooner.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me wanna go back through my longboxes and reread all these issues.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Can't wait to see some of these on ARROW.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I notice a weird lack of grell.

And is that onamontapeia fight by Kevin Smith?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Has Brick ever won a fight? Red Hood beat him, Green Arrow beat him, Batman beat him.

Lawton1of6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow vs Deadshot is still one of my favorite fights in comics. It's impressive to me because two range fighters going at each other could easily be boring but that fight is really cool and fun. Also love how they end it by talking it out at the bar.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: he had a pretty good one right before one year later(#59), but he lost

they fight again in #74, but with his new skills and Black Canary there, the fight isn't that long

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's November now, he's no longer character of the month. Go home Comicvine, you're drunk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo Take a look at Number 3... is that really something a "hippie" would do?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FearTheLiving

This deserves to be in out of context panels :P

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Merlyn fight comic vine? Should've picked the one from green arrow #59 it was awesome

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Can't wait to see some of these on ARROW.

That will someday be awesome to see

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: DS will always have fanboys in the bullpen.

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrnoital
Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool article.

I've never heard of him before this, but it's a pretty brave move calling yourself

"Onomatopoeia"

I think I'd go for "weird bad guy no.17" over that personally :P

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

the one where Deadshot "FAPP"s

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: You're defending a guy who drains his fluids on the bad guy's face?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@ostyo: They have to go somewhere.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Goddammit, man! Now this image is stuck in my head!

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By _Darkwing_

@fuzzylittlerodent:

I'm keeping it in case I ever need to take the piss out of a GA fanboy.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mrnoital
johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@_darkwing_: Why do you feel ths need to target fans who enjoy a certain character? Doesn't make sense to me.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Komodo was such a disappointment in "Arrow"

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That lemire and sorrentino run is getting love as a classic already. It will be hard to top that for me with any future green arrow team.

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xDOOMGUYx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originally a Marvel fan, I convinced myself that Hawkeye was the cooler archer. However, during the past few years I have grown to like Green Arrow more and more. Now I honestly prefer him over Barton. Green Arrow seems to do his job with a little more...style.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually own that Deadshot vs. Green Arrow page. One of my favorite battles.

_Darkwing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. GA knows how to keep a fight entertaining.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect choices! I'm especially happy the Onomatopoeia fight was included!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
@amazingwebhead said:

Komodo was such a disappointment in "Arrow"

I wasn't entirely happy that they slapped his name on a completely different character, but I did like that he was as good an archer and fighter as he was in the comic.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Winnick and Hester's run on Green Arrow will always be my favorite

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onomatopoeia happens to be my favorite. It sorta has a superhero/horror slasher mashup feel to it. Many of these are great fights and there are a couple I need to read in full yet.

Yup.

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

way too much sorrentino and hester. Majority comes from two runs, I bet Batman will get much more dversity spanning his entire career but i guess its too hard to do research for Green Arrow for some reason.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

way too much sorrentino and hester. Majority comes from two runs, I bet Batman will get much more dversity spanning his entire career but i guess its too hard to do research for Green Arrow for some reason.

Much of what I read from Grell doesn't focus on elaborate and extended action and is more focused on the narrative. You're free to share your favorite GA battles that aren't on the list.

@lensnart said:

No Merlyn fight comic vine? Should've picked the one from green arrow #59 it was awesome

Even though he loses...?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LenSnart

@k4tzm4n: It's true he loses but the fight is still pretty exiting and it has a sweet batman/joker arch enemy vibe, especially the Mexican stand off at the begining

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FearTheLiving

Originally a Marvel fan, I convinced myself that Hawkeye was the cooler archer. However, during the past few years I have grown to like Green Arrow more and more. Now I honestly prefer him over Barton. Green Arrow seems to do his job with a little more...style.

Traitor!
Traitor!