undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The easiest shorthand comparison to GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT for someone wondering whether or not they should get into it is, clearly, GOTHAM CENTRAL. Both take place in Gotham City, both feature the GCPD as main characters and neither feature Batman, or any of the Bat-family, in terribly prominent roles. But there’s another book, a little six-issue series called FELL that also fits the bill quite well, and not just because the visuals of both books are by Ben Templesmith, but because the tone of the book is similar with there being something just WRONG with the city they take place in. Ray Fawkes brings a sense of Lovecraftian menace to the streets of Gotham, but also to the outskirts and places we rarely see in other titles. Last issue gave us a look at the darkness in what could be considered the “upstate” region, now we get some that strikes at the city’s heart. Fawkes gives us a taste of the supernatural and a taste of the mundane, but he uses both to equal effect in generating horror. We also get to see some of Detectives Drake and Corrigan’s backstory and how they came to work together. The threads of these various plots are twisting and winding around one another already, and the mystery is only deepening as the Midnight Shift learns more and more.

Ben Templesmith, as previously indicated, provides the top-to-bottom visuals on this and it’s easy to see why: his style has a singular vision that it feels like it would be difficult to get someone else onboard with. Templesmith’s imagery has always had a knack for using the negative space of panels and it’s a skill that’s only gotten better as the years have gone by. There used to be a problem where his art would look indistinct, and sometimes that would heighten the terror of what was happening, but sometimes it would merely make it indistinct and impossible to make out. The former happens a great deal this issue while the latter is almost never. The colors are emblematic of decay and rot, two things this issue features seemingly in abundance, and also gives a sense of impending doom and dread along with the sickening feeling that, if you blink, you might miss it.

The Bad

The solution to the monster problem of this issue is the most obvious one and it’s a little odd that it took this team of seasoned, supernatural veterans so long to try it out. It’s not a major thing, but it took me out of the moment as it is, quite literally, the most obvious thought.

The Verdict

What a strange and wonderful book this is for DC to take a chance on. It’s a horror book that uses dread and implication more than violence and gore, it’s got a grounded, street-level center and a modern feel that makes it feel relevant and in the moment. There’s a major threat at the center of it, but it’s a slow, calculating threat and only moments and fragments of it are seen, leaving up to the reader to fill in gaps with their imagination AND think of the implications of what this means not just for the characters, but for Gotham itself.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is such a good series.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I love Ben Templesmith's art and most anything DC supernatural. The story and characters just aren't doing it for me though.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great series, everyone should try it out and show it some love

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Transformers1024

I cannot wait to pick this up tomorrow. By far my most anticipated comic each month.

Avatar image for deactivated-63456d9a1a04f
deactivated-63456d9a1a04f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been buying these issues, but haven't read any yet because I'm only through the first 21 issues of Batman Eternal. Do I need to read more Batman Eternal to know what's going on or can I jump in now?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Transformers1024

@jashsmash: I haven't read past issue 4 of Batman Eternal and I jumped right in on this book the day it was released with absolutely no problems whatsoever. To be honest, I didn't even know the two series were connected until a week or so ago when another user here mentioned it. So you're going to have no problem at all reading this, it's all very new reader friendly.

Avatar image for deactivated-63456d9a1a04f
deactivated-63456d9a1a04f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John-PH

Really Enjoying series. Even without Ben Templesmith's art its still one of my favourite comics out right now

cobsohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By cobsohn

I really don't like the art in this book. Some of the bigger pages work alright, but for the most part everything looks rushed. Heads and necks often look weird and the hands are unforgivable. Up close the faces look good and expressive though.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Batman doing?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers