Follow

Mjolnir

Object » Mjolnir appears in 3589 issues.

Mjolnir (pronounced myawl-nir) is the enchanted hammer wielded by Thor. It was forged by the dwarf weaponsmiths Brokk and Eitri after a bet with Loki. The name means crusher or grinder.

What makes you worthy to lift Mjolnir?

• 114 results
    Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Edited By Pyrogram

A lot of speculation has been said about this, I am going to try and figure it out -

First lets see who has held it before and look at common similarities. ( I have excluded a number of people who held it for reasons other than worthiness )

Wonder Women ( Alt verse but would be worthy in 616 also due to reasons Going to be listed )

NameClear Traits
    ThorWarrior lifestyle - Willing to Kill - Think of others before self - Honorable - Very powerful - Sense of Nobility - Humility
    Captain AmericaWarrior/soilder lifestyle - Willing to Kill - Think of others before self - Honorable - Not that strong - "Super soilder" - Humility ( pre-S/S serum )
    Beat Ray BillWarrior lifestyle - Willing to Kill - Think of others before self - Honorable - Very powerful - Possible Nobility -Humility ( Asking Thor for help )
    Wonder WomenWarrior lifestyle - Willing to Kill - Think of others before self - Honorable - Very powerful - Nobility - Humility/humbleness

So a few clear traits show,

Being a warrior, Willing to kill, selflessness , Honor and possibly have some kind of status or nobility andHumility

The nobility trait may be said to not be true, but looking at all the people who have lifted it they have some kind of title, even Captain America is not just a solider but a "super" Soldier. He is also willing to kill, as he has done in wars.

A few people who are not worthy

Spider-man - Not willing to kill, Lifestyle, Not noble. Not really honorable.

Superman - Not willing to kill , Not really a warrior lifestyle.

Hulk - He does not have the warrior lifestyle, No honor, No nobility.

These are just some ideas, May or not be true, but they make sense.

( (

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JonSmith

To be fair to the Hulk, he has some form of honor, and if he wanted some nobility, there's not really a whole lot that could stop him from taking it.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pyrogram

@JonSmith said:

To be fair to the Hulk, he has some form of honor, and if he wanted some nobility, there's not really a whole lot that could stop him from taking it.

He does not have the warrior lifestyle and will never have nobility in my view, what possible nobility could he show?

Hoenhime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hoenhime

This might be what qualifies for being worthy, good observations.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pyrogram

@Hoenhime: Thank you.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith

@Pyrogram said:

He does not have the warrior lifestyle and will never have nobility in my view, what possible nobility could he show?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you. I agree with all of your points. I'm merely stating that the Hulk HAS shown honor and even some nobility in the past (though I was referring more to the 'royal' nobility, such as is conferred via title rather than characteristic) Specifically, the Green Scar Hulk. He was a King, and truly cared about his people before they went boom. I might even go so far as to say if Hulk was appreciated by Earth's populace as a hero rather than a mindless monster, he might be more like that all the time.

And regardless of which Hulk we're talking about, they've never caused an unintentional casualty. For most heroes, that's relatively easy. For an individual who smashes and rampages through entire cities, destroys military divisions like it was going out of style, and generally unleashes mass mayhem simply by SHOWING UP, that's a lot more impressive. One could determine that as honor if one chose to do so.

As for the Warrior lifestyle, what would you define as a warrior lifestyle? If it's something along the lines of 'a love of constant battle' the Hulk has that in spades.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pyrogram

@JonSmith said:

@Pyrogram said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with you. I agree with all of your points. I'm merely stating that the Hulk HAS shown honor and even some nobility in the past (though I was referring more to the 'royal' nobility, such as is conferred via title rather than characteristic) Specifically, the Green Scar Hulk. He was a King, and truly cared about his people before they went boom. I might even go so far as to say if Hulk was appreciated by Earth's populace as a hero rather than a mindless monster, he might be more like that all the time.

And regardless of which Hulk we're talking about, they've never caused an unintentional casualty. For most heroes, that's relatively easy. For an individual who smashes and rampages through entire cities, destroys military divisions like it was going out of style, and generally unleashes mass mayhem simply by SHOWING UP, that's a lot more impressive. One could determine that as honor if one chose to do so.

As for the Warrior lifestyle, what would you define as a warrior lifestyle? If it's something along the lines of 'a love of constant battle' the Hulk has that in spades.

Warrior lifestyle, Hulk is not a warrior or a soldier at heart.

Thor is a Viking Warrior , He is battling most of the time , He does not "love it" It is his life. In an alternate universe he had to stop being a warrior and become a father, he went into depression and became an alcoholic.

Captain America is a soldier, He has served in many wars and continues to do so. Wonder women is an Amazonian Warrior for example.

Hulk may love battle, but how many times has he been said to be like "Hulk wants to be left alone" etc..Thor,cap,WW have never said anything like that to a battle ( apart from when Thor did to Beta Ray bill during warrior madness when he was Pissed at Odin )

So, Hulk will not be able to lift the hammer for another reason he has killed way to many innocent people. He is also selfish ( banner anyways... ) Remember in a recent issue he wants to be remembers as a scientist and not a monster, HE wants to be remembered, This could be shown as selfishness.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#7  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

hey.what about these guys?

Eric Masterson.

Drago? wasn't it?

ok.so how do these guys fit into that equation?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pyrogram

@cosmicallyaware1: I did not include them as they are basically a plot device character. They both I think took up Thor's life more or less, so they are the same as him also.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jorgevy

Because Im awesome and good looking

also I have noble blood, and I think Im altruistic and honorable enough. among other things, but yeah Im totally from nobility, you should give me Mjolnir so I could try to lift it

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pyrogram

@Jorgevy: Willing to kill people?

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#11  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

@cosmicallyaware1: Thanks :)

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#13  Edited By TheCannon

Wow. You put quite a lot of thought into this. Good work!

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JonSmith

@Pyrogram said:

Thor is a Viking Warrior , He is battling most of the time , He does not "love it" It is his life. In an alternate universe he had to stop being a warrior and become a father, he went into depression and became an alcoholic.

Captain America is a soldier, He has served in many wars and continues to do so. Wonder women is an Amazonian Warrior for example.

Hulk may love battle, but how many times has he been said to be like "Hulk wants to be left alone" etc..Thor,cap,WW have never said anything like that to a battle ( apart from when Thor did to Beta Ray bill during warrior madness when he was Pissed at Odin )

The Savage Hulk wants to be left alone, yes, but the Green Scar Hulk started, waged, and won a war nearly alone. Moreso, he did it against an entire regime in the span of the few months Civil War was going on. If that's not an example of a warrior lifestyle, I don't know what is. Keep in mind, I'm not saying ALL Hulk's are worthy (not by a long shot), but SOME are, at least within the parameter's you've set down.

So, Hulk will not be able to lift the hammer for another reason he has killed way to many innocent people. He is also selfish ( banner anyways... ) Remember in a recent issue he wants to be remembers as a scientist and not a monster, HE wants to be remembered, This could be shown as selfishness.

As for killing innocent people... What? I specifically said he HASN'T killed innocent people. Even in all his rampages. Even as the Savage Hulk, he's never killed innocent people, or resulted in their deaths. This has been brought up in the comics: Hulk has never caused a casualty in his rampages. And as for selfishness... Banner wants to help the world to make up for the Hulk's destruction. As you said, he wants to be remembered as a scientist. If you intend to say that a person wanting to leave behind a good legacy is selfishness, then we are done here, sir. As for the Hulk himself, he's been attacked, blown up, and generally assaulted every moment of his EXISTENCE. Literally from the word 'GO', the first night of his transformation he was assaulted. He has had EVERYTHING taken away from him in ways that few other heroes can relate to. Every time he's ever had a moment of happiness it's been taken from him. Yet in spite of that, he keeps coming back to help the very human race that calls him a monster and attacks him. If THAT'S selfishness, then I'd hope more people were that selfish.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

@JonSmith: Even with all that. He lacks the warrior/noble/honor side to lifting the hammer.

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Charlie_Jade

Viking Lifestyle

Willingness to Die and Kill for your people

Not an idealist

Warrior Born and Trained

You've traveled the world in Big Ship

Honor/Nobility

that special 'Magic' touch

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pyrogram

@Charlie_Jade said:

Viking Lifestyle

Willingness to Die and Kill for your people

Not an idealist

Warrior Born and Trained

You've traveled the world in Big Ship

Honor/Nobility

that special 'Magic' touch

Captain America does not have a viking lifestyle.

Idealist? Captain sorta is.

Traveled the world in a big ship?

Magic touch?

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Asagod

I guess there are more reasons, but those you said are true.

Hoenhime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hoenhime

@Pyrogram: Your welcome

kingsloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingsloth

how about being a badly written character as a prerequisite.

Raizex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Raizex

WHEN YOU'RE AS STRONG AS ME, YOU CAN LIFT ANYTHING CUZZZZZZ

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jorgevy

@Pyrogram said:

@Jorgevy: Willing to kill people?

in specific cases yeah I guess

but I think my nobility alone would do the trick, I'm a Count, that's almost as good as King

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Spider-Man would lift the Hammer regardless of a willingness to kill.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Decoy Elite

Don't think willingness to kill really has any stock in it.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
    7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When gravity is present, when it's on the ground, the magical enchantment does this to it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

For the worthy, this enchantment turns off.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pyrogram

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Spider-Man would lift the Hammer regardless of a willingness to kill.

He fails many of the other reasons, and he has failed before anyways.

@Decoy Elite said:

Don't think willingness to kill really has any stock in it.

It has a massive reason, look at everybody who has, they are all willing to kill, you cannot argue against that :)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pyrogram

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: That's wrong, you should not be able to hold it in space either, In space you may be able to direct its movement but not get the effects of the hammer, so its just moving a piece of Uru and not the actual hammer.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram: I think it's a coincidence.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite said:

No, I don't think so :P

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram said:

@Decoy Elite said:

I'm glad you edited to elaborate a bit more, smart move given my habit of sarcasm.

That said, despite the importance of killing in Norse myth, I don't think it's something that the Marvel Odin would put stock into when judging how worthy someone is. I mean yeah you can list plenty of people who are willing to kill that have used the hammer, but they're all for the most part unlikely to kill. Heck I'm pretty sure there was a time where Thor would outright refuse to kill foes.

Plus you sort of cherry picked examples given you ignored the "plot devise" characters despite them still very much so counting as worthy under how the hammer works. All of your examples other than Thor would count as "plot devise" wielders as well given the plot is what at the end of the day dictates who wields the hammer.

I understand wanting to define what measures worthiness, but if you're going to you'll need to analyze all the characters who've lifted the hammer, not just a few you pick out.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Lvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt: Didn't you also say that Superman could theoretically lift the hammer? According to the OP he lacks the willingness to kill and warrior lifestyle that are prerequisites for being able to lift Mjolnir.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Lvenger: Well I was keeping it to Marvel only, but yeah, I think Superman could definitely lift it. If Mjolnir ignored a being of tremendous integrity, pure selflessness, the complete devotion to good, and the readiness to give one's life against impossible odds to save the people, then Mjolnir is a crack-head.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Decoy Elite said:

I'm glad you edited to elaborate a bit more, smart move given my habit of sarcasm.

That said, despite the importance of killing in Norse myth, I don't think it's something that the Marvel Odin would put stock into when judging how worthy someone is. I mean yeah you can list plenty of people who are willing to kill that have used the hammer, but they're all for the most part unlikely to kill. Heck I'm pretty sure there was a time where Thor would outright refuse to kill foes.

Plus you sort of cherry picked examples given you ignored the "plot devise" characters despite them still very much so counting as worthy under how the hammer works. All of your examples other than Thor would count as "plot devise" wielders as well given the plot is what at the end of the day dictates who wields the hammer.

I understand wanting to define what measures worthiness, but if you're going to you'll need to analyze all the characters who've lifted the hammer, not just a few you pick out.

A simple no sounded rude, so I needed to change it :)

I took some out as they were made to lift the hammer, they were made to replace Thor , so they all have his traits. No point including people who only lifted it due to the plot, its just not accurate enough. So I only included people who have lifted it for other reasons than being a plot character.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pyrogram

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Lvenger: Well I was keeping it to Marvel only, but yeah, I think Superman could definitely lift it. If Mjolnir ignored a being of tremendous integrity, pure selflessness, the complete devotion to good, and the readiness to give one's life against impossible odds to save the people, then Mjolnir is a crack-head.

I doubt it, Superman lacks the other things needed that all the other wielders have. This also proves he is causally not worthy.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram: I didn't take it as rude, so no problem.

Eh, they all lifted it for plot though, except Wonder Woman, which...honestly I don't know why she lifted it in Marvel vs DC, it was kinda out of nowhere.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite said:

Eh, they all lifted it for plot though, except Wonder Woman, which...honestly I don't know why she lifted it in Marvel vs DC, it was kinda out of nowhere.

They all lifted it for plot, but some characters were made to replace Thor so they HAD to be able to lift it, so they really don't add anything to this.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram said:

@Decoy Elite said:

They all lifted it for plot, but some characters were made to replace Thor so they HAD to be able to lift it, so they really don't add anything to this.

But they were different from him in some ways. For instance I think Eric refused to kill IIRC and he certainly was less of a warrior lifestyle kind of guy from what I saw of him.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite: Odin chose him as he was made to replace Thor, so that is what I am saying, its a plot character and should be an outliner as it serves no purpose in finding what makes you worthy.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Pyrogram said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I doubt it, Superman lacks the other things needed that all the other wielders have. This also proves he is causally not worthy.

Yes, non-canon scans do prove a lot.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram said:

@Decoy Elite: Odin chose him as he was made to replace Thor, so that is what I am saying, its a plot character and should be an outliner as it serves no purpose in finding what makes you worthy.

Except Odin is the guy who chooses how the hammer defines worthy. Thus his picks actually matter quite a bit.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pyrogram

@FadeToBlackBolt: That crossover is considered somewhat cannon.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite: Eric was still willing to kill though, Thor has chosen not to kill the Hulk or Red hulk but has still killed millions of other people.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@Pyrogram: Canon in the respect that it's not totally ignored. Not canon in the respect that it actually happened to 616/Earth 1 characters.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram said:

@Decoy Elite: Eric was still willing to kill though, Thor has chosen not to kill the Hulk or Red hulk but has still killed millions of other people.

He was? Didn't know that. I don't think even in his long life Thor has killed millions and back when he was kill happy enough to do so he was actually deemed unworthy as of the depiction in the latest Thor series.

Eric was still noticeably different from Thor in many ways, mostly his personalty.

In fact looking a Thor himself he has changed quite a bit, maybe we should view what hasn't changed at all in the character to analyze just what makes him worthy. Maybe see what actions have caused him to become temporarily unworthy.

Also no one mentioned the most important wielder of Mjolnir, Donald Blake. He certainly doesn't fit into your parameters well.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite said:

@Pyrogram said:

He was? Didn't know that. I don't think even in his long life Thor has killed millions and back when he was kill happy enough to do so he was actually deemed unworthy as of the depiction in the latest Thor series.

Eric was still noticeably different from Thor in many ways, mostly his personalty.

In fact looking a Thor himself he has changed quite a bit, maybe we should view what hasn't changed at all in the character to analyze just what makes him worthy. Maybe see what actions have caused him to become temporarily unworthy.

Also no one mentioned the most important wielder of Mjolnir, Donald Blake. He certainly doesn't fit into your parameters well.

http://www.comicvine.com/thor/29-2268/thor-experts-how-many-enemies-has-thor-killed/92-737472/#31

Donald blake has never held the hammer in its true form.

He was not deemed unworthy also, he was just young ( a few thousand years xD ) and Odin still had the hammer.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram: Is it bad that I was only thinking in terms of humans?

He still picked it up because he was worthy.

I thought it had to do with him being unworthy, as shown in the first issue. Guess I remembered it wrong.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite said:

@Pyrogram: Is it bad that I was only thinking in terms of humans.

He still picked it up because he was worthy.

I thought it had to do with him being unworthy, as shown in the first issue. Guess I remembered it wrong.

Lol no :P

What comic are you talking about, so I can properly comment?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram: For the hammer thing? Thor: God of Thunder

But like I said I could be mis-remembering as I don't have the issue in front of me right now.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pyrogram

@Decoy Elite: I just skimmed through the whole issue and I cannot find anything to do with the hammer?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Pyrogram: Maybe it was issue 2. Let me check my comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.