• 52 results
G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By G Bird

I only have one comic book place around where I live (still a 25 minute drive) and it sucks! The people are not friendly at all, and they act like you're giving them a problem by shopping at their place. Don't you think they'd be friendly and want to help so you buy from them and give them business? I went in today to get the new Amazing Spider-Man 634 and the guy says its not ready to sell even though I saw a stack of them laying on the table. I wanted to kick his good leg (he's using crutches for some odd reason) and steal a bunch of comics from him. I was so pissed I decided I'm not going there anymore, I'll buy comics online somewhere. Has anybody else had similar things happen with their local comic book stores?

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aronmorales

Nope, can't say that I've had any.

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By courtney12490

Nope, I love my comic shop. I went there for the second time bought a bunch of issues, the guy gave me 10% off for buying so much. I told him that I'd mostly been ordering trades from online and he said he would give me the online price if I started buying them from the shop, so I don't really see how I can go wrong :D

Xi Felix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Xi Felix

I do. I used to be a regular at a place called Big Monkey(then Big Planet) Comics. They would have a policy where you couldn't actually read the comics before you bought them(but it was pretty much only enforced by this one guy). Pretty soon I got sick of it because I would end up buying many issues I regretted spending my hard earned money on, so after awhile I just figured it(literally) wasn't worth the hassle of buying comics I wasn't sure if I was, you know, GONNA ACTUALLY LIKE(crazy, I know). 
So much to my joy, another shop(called Fantom Comics) opened, and unlike at Big Planet, my friends and I were free to spend hours just sitting there and reading the comics, and the ones we liked, we bought(by the way, at the time the actual manager was the one supervising the shop, and had no problem with it). Anyway, Fantom is forced to relocate, and have since taken on more staff. One of them being that uptight dick-wad who worked at Big Planet. Last time I was there, for the first time in the couple years I've frequented that store, I pick up a comic and haven't even gotten past the first page when I  was basically told to "buy something or get out". BY THE SAME. DAMN. GUY! Not even the fukin manager ever told me that after a course of HOURS, this dick did it after(literally) about a minute! (And best I can tell, that ain't even the store policy, which is why I started going there in the first damn place!!!). So now he's two for two as far as losing my business. Smart.
Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

As far as comic shops, no.  But there's this d-bag who OWNS the local Hobby store that I can't freakin stand!  It's the only one around and I've had to deal with this butthead for years because I'm also into D&D and other RPGS.  This guy won't cary anything in his shop that HE HIMSELF isn't into, never mind what his customers like!  If for instance a trading card game becomes popular, he won't cary ANY, but he'll special order you some cards if you buy an entire box or case and pay upfront.  Yet if I were to go on a two hour drive accross state to another shop in the same chane as his, they cary everything that I like!!!  I hate that guy!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

The guys at my local comic shop are awesome!   

Comics & Card Trading Post 
7968 Vaughn Road 
Montgomery,AL  

(Yes, I am pimping them!) 

The owner sends out a weekly email of new releases and offers discounts depending on how long you've been a customer. The guys that work there are very friendly. They also have hold slots and will hold any issues you add to it.
Backslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Backslash

Yes, i hated my OLD comic shop, coz i have a pull-list on them and everytime  i went there to pick it up, its missing an issue, and mind you this were important key issues, it happened several times  and i just learned that they're hiding them and selling it to others for a higher price of course. so i ditched them and found another shop.,

DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathinFire

Yeah, there's a shop I used to go to that wasn't really customer freindly.  Basically the same thing the OP described.  They would act like it was so awful that I was there, like it was a huge hassle if I wanted to buy something that they kept behind the counter.  They very rarely even kept up with their comics selection and everything was overpriced.  If a comic was old, then it must have been more valuable, never mind what it was actually worth.  I don't mean really old, just like a few months or something.  I was younger when I went there and I didn't really know any better.  I didn't have a car or anything and I could walk to this place so I went there quite a bit.  They charged me $20 for "the Crow" on VHS once.  This was a few years ago and VHS was still around.  DVD's had just came out. 

Lucky for me there's other shops around.  If you simply can't stand this shop and there's no others then I recommend amazon.com or somewhere.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By sexy_merc

The ones that I go to have a friendly staff, but there's one I went to (which I don't anymore because it's pretty far away) that had those people who thought they knew everything about comics. The guy was pretty fat too and had a cat so I didn't bother going there.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#10  Edited By EisforExtinction

We consistently have drunk parties at the store I go to. There are Rock Band parties, Heroclix and DnD games, and movie nights.

In case you can't tell I freakin' love my store.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

Every comic store I've been to has really nice people.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hdorman1

i dont have a local comic book shop
a book shop in dublin city has a comic book section   
its either there or forbidden planet 
but the guys who work there are dinks

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

My first comic guy is in jail for the rest of his life for murdering his wife my second comic book guy is a Magic The Gathering nerd with zero ambition who just so happens to own a comic book store....I don't hate him but I hate the fact that he has done absolutely nothing with his store and it's still this little whole in the wall store in the middle of our failing mall....he's got the only comic book store around for at least an hour's drive maybe more...he should quit holding tiny a$$ Magic tournaments and use his connections in the industry (they're pretty good connections) and start having creators come to the store for signings and meet and greets....he needs to expand out of our failing mall before it sucks his store down along with it.....I would do anything to own my own comic book store and this loser does and he's done nothing with it...it drives me insane

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Two of us, at the store I work at, are always around town, living it up.... The other two, never hang out....
It's like The Odd Couple X2 at my store.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Magian

I don't have any comicbook store anywhere near me. You are lucky guys.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sexy_merc
@inferiorego said:

" Two of us, at the store I work at, are always around town, living it up.... The other two, never hang out.... It's like The Odd Couple X2 at my store. "

Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Benzo

the LCS I used to go to had really crappy services, the guy who owns the shop doesn't even want to sell comics and he actually hates comic books! :O  
but now that shop is shut down and I go online to get my comic books now :) ,I also go to another comic store as well (who are nicer and have better services!) 

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is my comic book guy!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

and my other comic book guy:

No Caption Provided
Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mutant X

I used to have a pull list at this one comic book store, started it almost exactly a year ago today, and quit it 2 weeks before FCBD. What attracted me about this was that everything in the store would be 15% off for me, and on FCBD, every back issue would be only $1. But the problem was, he was always putting crap in my stack of comics every week that I didn't want. Like once, he put an issue of Tiny Titans in there, and I have no interest in them whatsoever. I tried to put it back but he forced it on me. He said the deal was that I buy everything that was in my stack every week or the deal was off. So I ended up buying it, just to keep reaping the benefits. He kept doing this with multiple comics. I was planning on quitting after FCBD but I just couldn't hold out that long. Now every time I go into the store, he acts like a d!ck to me. Which is why I tend to stay away from his store and go to the other comic shops within 30 minutes of my proximity. Note to comic book store owners: don't do what that guy did, because you'll lose customers.

chris thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chris thompson

Nope, cant say that I have.

BrianG2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BrianG2k

Not my comic book guy, but when i went out of town i went to Sarge's in CT. Walked in and not a hello or can I help you or anything. Spent a good amount of time in there. Guy even walked past me.. looking at whatever i had in my hand. he still didn't say one word to me. someone else rang me out and he didn't have much to say. They had a great selection but the customer service was horrible. I wish I didn't spend any money in there.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John Valentine
@courtney12490 said:
" Nope, I love my comic shop. I went there for the second time bought a bunch of issues, the guy gave me 10% off for buying so much. I told him that I'd mostly been ordering trades from online and he said he would give me the online price if I started buying them from the shop, so I don't really see how I can go wrong :D "
That's awesome. 
Love the avatar by the way.
Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Theodore

I go to a place called "Friendly Neighborhood Comics" and it's run by a family, everyone's really nice. Had about 12 bucks worth of comics (there were 4 issues in one bag that said $1 but were actually a buck a piece) and I only had 8 bucks they said it was enough. :)

courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By courtney12490
@Theodore said:
" I go to a place called "Friendly Neighborhood Comics" and it's run by a family, everyone's really nice. Had about 12 bucks worth of comics (there were 4 issues in one bag that said $1 but were actually a buck a piece) and I only had 8 bucks they said it was enough. :) "
O_o That's the name of my shop. 
@John Valentine said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" Nope, I love my comic shop. I went there for the second time bought a bunch of issues, the guy gave me 10% off for buying so much. I told him that I'd mostly been ordering trades from online and he said he would give me the online price if I started buying them from the shop, so I don't really see how I can go wrong :D "
That's awesome. Love the avatar by the way. "
I was really happy about it. The avy is Ruby Summers :D All of Emma's attitude, none of the b!tchiness.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i haev a nice comic guy here  to but we pay so much more per issue than you guys do especially if you convert our cost to dollars so thast probs why hes so nice to me hes making a fortune!

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By Comiclove5

No, I love all my comicbook store people.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By John Valentine
@lazystudent said:
" i haev a nice comic guy here  to but we pay so much more per issue than you guys do especially if you convert our cost to dollars so thast probs why hes so nice to me hes making a fortune! "
UK, Kent, right? What's the name of your shop/ where is it? 

I get my new issues from mainly once source, Forbidden Planet, it's pretty much a Sci-Fi megastore and the staff are pretty average (some are very helpful, others not so much, but it's a busy shop). The stock/ selection of comics/ trades/hardcovers is reasonably good and it's well-organized, though quite expensive which means I usually get my trades etc from Amazon.
Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Manchine

I travel 30 minutes to my Comic Book Shop.  Yes there are 2 comic book shops that are within 5 - 10 Minutes.  The people there suck so I go to the one that is friendly.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

IDK haven't been there enough, but I do hate my boss

Stamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Stamps
@Xi Felix said:
" I do. I used to be a regular at a place called Big Monkey(then Big Planet) Comics. They would have a policy where you couldn't actually read the comics before you bought them(but it was pretty much only enforced by this one guy). Pretty soon I got sick of it because I would end up buying many issues I regretted spending my hard earned money on, so after awhile I just figured it(literally) wasn't worth the hassle of buying comics I wasn't sure if I was, you know, GONNA ACTUALLY LIKE(crazy, I know). So much to my joy, another shop(called Fantom Comics) opened, and unlike at Big Planet, my friends and I were free to spend hours just sitting there and reading the comics, and the ones we liked, we bought(by the way, at the time the actual manager was the one supervising the shop, and had no problem with it). Anyway, Fantom is forced to relocate, and have since taken on more staff. One of them being that uptight dick-wad who worked at Big Planet. Last time I was there, for the first time in the couple years I've frequented that store, I pick up a comic and haven't even gotten past the first page when I  was basically told to "buy something or get out". BY THE SAME. DAMN. GUY! Not even the fukin manager ever told me that after a course of HOURS, this dick did it after(literally) about a minute! (And best I can tell, that ain't even the store policy, which is why I started going there in the first damn place!!!). So now he's two for two as far as losing my business. Smart. "
That SUCKS! I can't believe he treats customers like that.
Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when I was about 11 or 12, there was this shop near where I lived (It's gone now, small wonder.) I already knew the guys in there weren't really into their work. They hated having kids in their shop and would never treat you like a real customer. I'd just gotten my birthday money + some cash my dad's friend gave me for helping him paint his garage.  

So, I'm flipping through the racks and looking at the props etc on their shelves. After about 10-15 minutes the guy asks "Are you looking for anything?" I tell him that I'm just browsing for the minute. So he says "Yeah, coz actually we're closed." (This is normal business hours and the door is wide open.) So I pull out £200 and say "I guess I'll take this to Forbidden planet then?" All of a sudden he says he'll stay open for me to look around. I say "Nah, your busy." and walk out. I think that place closed down about 6 months later.

Amircat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Amircat

My comic shop owner is really cool and so are the people who work there. I have been to tons of other places and most others are nice too.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@John Valentine:  indeed you are correct iam in uk Kent i get my comics from a shop in Chatham here a link to info about it man. Forbidden planet is majorly exspensive i have been there a few time up in London and they overprice everything  good store thou, the store i use is preety much pure trades not many novels etc but it does exactky waht i need it for i get novels offline.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=american+comic+shop+chatham&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By G Bird

I went in the shop again yesterday even though I said I wouldn't, but only because I had to cop the beginning of Grim Hunt. He acted all nice and stuff, lol! I still plan on either finding a new shop or just ordering online. Anybody know a good site to order new comics without taking it on the chin for the shipping?

baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By baker1skter
@Do I have to give a name?:  hahaha thats awesome..nice work.

People that arnt frriendly, that dont enjoy talking to others, and most importantly dont actually enjoy comics  shoudnt work and own a comic shop! common sense right?

That two comic shops in my town have pretty nice employees, they will help you out and make conversation with you. Just one isnt as nice as the other. 

@G Bird:  yeah good idea man. what i hate about ordering online is tax and shipping which really adds up.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Korg
@G Bird said:
" Anybody know a good site to order new comics without taking it on the chin for the shipping? "
My Comic Shop - shipping is free on orders over fifty dollars, and is reasonable for smaller orders. Their packaging is also the best I've ever come across.
ofaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ofaaron
@G Bird: 
Also try http://www.dcbservice.com/ Like 6 bucks flat rate per order, but you get 40-50% per issue, so its easy to recoop the shipping cost. Its only good for pre-orders though, go with http://www.mycomicshop.com/ for your back issues, like Korg said .

As for my local shop, I've got two I go to. One is run by a super nice guy, but has terrible inventory. The other has a few employees who barely live up to the word, but the manager of the place is still pretty nice, and a bit nicer selection. There is also a local chain a bit farther out with a totally awesome selection, nice staff, but it is by far the most expensive. I generally hit it up if I can't find what I want at the other two.
The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The Dave

Havn't seen him in quite some time (since I've like.. moved house since) But my old comic book guy was a bit of a hardcase.. He was a lot like the comic-book guy from the simpsons but less full of it and funnier.

(fairly portly, scraggly beard etc etc)

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I go to several stores, but i love the comic book girl who i sometimes see at the comic shop at the mall, she is hilarious lol.

BulletproofKen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BulletproofKen

haha that sucks man. Nope. Im lucky to have a great and friendly "dealer".
Avatar image for the_hooded_hero
The Hooded Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The Hooded Hero

Actually, I dont have a problem with my comic book guy. Hes usually understanding. He reads all the comics that come in too. So if I tell him I wanna read something different just to check it out and see if its any good. He'll usually give his opinion on what he thinks is the best new comic to come out. He knows my friend that collects comics too. Then he knows my girlfriend, dad, and mom. So if I have them go and pick something up for me he helps them out. He even knows some of my previous girlfriends. 

I've been begging him to open more shops. AK COMICS forever man.

I was his first costumer that walked in and actually bought a comic from his store.

trougedoor122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trougedoor122
  • Nope, I have never had any problems with my comic shop. Employees are nice, and I get a bunch of discounts for being a member.

25% off my pull list 
 15% off trades 
 10% off issues I take off the rack and back issues.    
So, yeah, I like my comic shop. 
P.S. My comic shop is a nice little place called Comix Corner.

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By G Bird

I think part of the reason why "my comic guy" can be unfriendly is because there aren't any other comic shops around so he doesn't have to act all nice and give discounts. Maybe if there was some another shop close by he would be a little nicer.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Nope.I love my comic book guy (no homo).Dude is awesome.He's been alive long enough to have the very first ever Marvel cartoons on VHS.He's quite interesting.In fact sometimes I don't even go there and buy comics I just like to go there and listen to him tell stories.

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Mediant

The store nearest me has a pretty decent staff. But there's another store I tried out one time and it was bad. I asked if they had a book in stock and the guy was a total ass the whole time. I think he was trying to be funny. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY HAD IT IN STOCK! *sob*

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By G Bird
@Vance Astro said:
" Nope.I love my comic book guy (no homo).Dude is awesome.He's been alive long enough to have the very first ever Marvel cartoons on VHS.He's quite interesting.In fact sometimes I don't even go there and buy comics I just like to go there and listen to him tell stories. "
That's awesome, I wish I had a comic guy around here like that... almost like a comic yoda lol!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been to several comic stores in Los Angeles and almost all of them have unfriendly staff. Most of them act like they don't want you around or they are very impatient with those new/infrequent with comic books. They also treat females strangely I notice, so now my gf doesn't walk into any comic stores i go into. I hate going to comic stores due to these experiences, I just buy stuff on amazon most of the time.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

no he learns stuff from me

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lykopis

I love my comic book guy back home. Love him. I couldn't stand the one who worked at the store closest to campus. Apparently anything with breasts was to be treated like the figurines in the locked glass cases that lined the wall. Stare, stare, stare. Then stare some more, not saying a word, just --- stare. When I started to see the same guy everywhere I went - grocery stores, my local park, on campus - I figured it would be a good idea to find another store.

I love where I go now. I am still treated like I couldn't possibly know comics (at least as much as they do) but they are nice and give me great deals on back-issues. It can be frustrating at times but it's never mean-spirited so it's all good.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate my Gamestop guy.

Always talking about preordering Call of Sh*tty.

I'm like "I don't give a f*ck about getting a tiny poster if I preorder this crap'