Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

I normally think how much better it would be if i ran Marvel or DCU or any of the other various comic companies and could raise sales and improve story quality. How i would refuse to hire certain people and be capable of being a better editor then what we've seen so far. So lets say that you inherited a few 100k and were starting your own comic series maybe 3 titles and were looking for a handful of talented writers, pencilers and inkers for them.

If you ran your own comic Company what would you do different from the other comic companies?
what would you call it?
who would be the 1st writer, inker, penciler for your main project?  
what kinda genre would you write about or focus more on?
would you cater to the fans would you maintain continuity?
would you fire or refuse to hire certain writers, pencilers or editors?  

most importantly why?

#1 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Company Name: Not gonna share it 
actual answers followed by fantasy ones 
Editor:Me (Jim Shooter) 
writer: Me (Alan Moore with Erik Larsen)
inker:  Me (Todd Mcfarlane)
penciler: Me (Jack Kirby) 
Genre: All-new Superhero fare with a certain flavor 
Fan pandering or Continuity? Integrity of properties comes first. Continuity. 
would you fire or refuse to hire certain writers, pencilers or editors? cannot say.

#2 Posted by JediXMan (29662 posts) - - Show Bio

Name: Don't know yet / not telling.
Editor: Me
Writer: Me (down the road, maybe Alan Moore and Grant Morrison)
Inker/colorist: Sonia Oback and Alex Ross
Artist: Mike Choi and Alex Ross
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Generally dark.
I would cater to my long-time fans.
I would never hire Jeph Loeb , Humberto Ramos, Tan Eng Huat, Greg Land, Yanick Paquette

Though I'd mostly be a novelist.

#3 Posted by greenlight1107 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

First I would not have politically correct or political pandering topics in my issues.

#4 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Name: Nightrise 
Writer: Me - JT, Krul, Jimmy palmoiti, Morrison, Jim lee, Robert Kirk, Judd Winick.
Inker/colorist: idk 
Artist: Mike Choi, Hendry Prasetyo, Amanda Conner,   
Genre: Superhero (invincible like take on superhero universe), Sci-fi, adventure, mystery. 
Both as much as i can. 
Not hire Geoff johns, joe quesada, jeph loeb. 

#5 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Name: Still a work in progress. 
Editor: Me and my brother. 
Writer: Me, my brother, my father, Alex Ross Mark Waid (worked together on Kingdom Come, which I love), and...y'know what? Lets try the Law and Order: SVU writing team. 
Inker/Colorist: Inker would be Greg Harms (family friend), colorist? Alex Ross, Adam Hughes for sure. 
Artist: Ross, Hughes, Billy Tan, Amanda Conner, Ivan Reiss (?), and Sana Takeda to name a few. 
Genre: Universe, like Marvel and DC.  
Definitely to both. 
Yes; no Liefeld, Land, Aleev, or Romita Jr. as far as artists go, and for writers?...that depends on what they want to do; I'd (or my brother would) have to check over their ideas to make sure it doesn't offset/screw-up any of our characters.

#6 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

i should have added what would your company Memo say when you write one out to your staff?

#7 Posted by Raven0207 (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

Name : Enigma Studios (Already Started it . Look it up in the Wiki) 
Editor : Me and the Fans 
Writer : No one permanent ( rotating talent with a few stars) 
Artist : Me , Randy Green, Koi Turnbull , Cross, Micah Gunnell, Brian Stelfreeze, Darryl Banks, Chris (Cabbie) Bradberry and upcoming talent 
Inker : Rick Ketchham, Cabbie, John (Waki) Wycough 
Genre : Futuristic Robots 
              Tiki Gods 
              Comedy 
              Sci Fi  
              Fantasy 
              Superhero 
Continuity in each book will flow. Each book would be mapped out from start to finish. 
Non Hire List : Eric Basaluda 
                           Rob Liefeld 

#8 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

If I ran your own comic Company what would I do different from the other comic companies: If the writer/artist has a hard time to determine what character aspect the hero/villain should look like, a comic will share TWO versions on ONE BOOK (Kinda some comics did in the 90's for telling two stories for two different books....mostly Image). After reading the two versions of the character, you reader votes which aspect they enjoyed and what the result turns out it will be the character aspect that will remain through out the character's life....

what would you call it: (undecided....)

who would be the 1st writer, inker, penciler for your main project: (Wow....tough call) If for some reason.....either STAN LEE, LISA KIRBY (Jack Kirby's daughter....yeah she made a comic book), GEOFF JOHNS, JIM LEE, KEVIN SMITH, TOM DEFALCO.....

what kinda genre would you write about or focus more on: VARIOUS

would I cater to the fans would I maintain continuity: PERHAPS

would I fire or refuse to hire certain writers, pencilers or editors: (Only if they make the fans unhappy....like Frank Miller)

#9 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

How I would differ from the other companies is that i wouldn't get books caught up in company wide events. Events would exist in one event book, and a few minis. I know that happens with some events, but ongoiing series wouldn't tie in to big events.

Company Name: Unknown(Or Unknown Comics!) 

First Creative team: For writer, I'd say Gail Simone or Jeff Parker. For artists, either Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Conner, or Daniel Acuna. For inker or colorists, mark Morales and Dave McCaig. 

Genre: Probably Superhero or Fantasy. 

Would I maintain continuity; Of course, even though I might not like, i  would want to keep the fans happy. 

Would i refuse to hire anyone: Jamie McKelvie. i know what you're saying, why would I of all people, never hire McKelvie? Wel, if  hired McKelvie, i would have him slave away at his drawing table day and night(not really), and sign him an exclusive to my company. If that was the case, he could never draw stuff for Marvel and that would make me sad. And he couldn't work for Image, and I would never see Phonogram 3. Depressing indeed.

#10 Posted by avengpymhawk (371 posts) - - Show Bio

COMPANY: Underground Publishing 
Editor and Chief: Roy Thomas  
Editor: Steve Englehart 
Writers: Kurt Busiek, Marv Wolfman, Tom Defalco and Jason Aaron
Artist:George Perez, Ron Fritz, Steve Epting, Mark Bright, and Bob Layton

No Hire: Brian Bendis and Matt Fraction 
#11 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
Name: Still a work in progress. Editor: Me and my brother. Writer: Me, my brother, my father, Alex Ross Mark Waid (worked together on Kingdom Come, which I love), and...y'know what? Lets try the Law and Order: SVU writing team. Inker/Colorist: Inker would be Greg Harms (family friend), colorist? Alex Ross, Adam Hughes for sure. Artist: Ross, Hughes, Billy Tan, Amanda Conner, Ivan Reiss (?), and Sana Takeda to name a few. Genre: Universe, like Marvel and DC.  Definitely to both. Yes; no Liefeld, Land, Aleev, or Romita Jr. as far as artists go, and for writers?...that depends on what they want to do; I'd (or my brother would) have to check over their ideas to make sure it doesn't offset/screw-up any of our characters.
Also noting that there would be a huge "Ten Commandments of Continuity and Character" that would be set up so as no one would be allowed to come in and do something horrible to a character and/or their story. I'm serious when I say this. I actually want this set in stone to get the point across.
#12 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV

post your ten commandments
#13 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
@ARMIV:   post your ten commandments
1. No clones without proper story to back up it's inclusion into the canon universe. 
2. Outer space is to be respected; Not everyone gets to go there. 
3. If it appears out of character, drop it before it hits the script/page. 
4. If something out of character should happen, take it up with the original story writers, then handle it with the up-most care. Give a reason to how and why it happened, and how it will be dealt with. 
5. Stats don't always win battles, but they sure help. Stick to them. 
6. No one is to get divorced, married, turn gay/straight (etc.) for the sake of sales or shock value. Story comes first always
7. Utility belts and straps aren't toys, and therefore should not be handed out to everyone. Same with guns and swords. 
8. No characters that are at least 70% too much like somebody else's character (same applies to story). Inspiration is good, but keep it as just that. Plagiarism is NOT acceptable at all.
9. Death is to be respected. It is not plot device. 
10. We sell character and the entirety of their depth, not shock, not skin, and most certainly not for the sake of the green.  

Something like this. 
#14 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

a lot of MU and DCU writers and editors would be out of a job with those rules unless they can change.

i like it
 >=)

#15 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@ARMIV: That indeed is a list I wish someone would follow.

#16 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
a lot of MU and DCU writers and editors would be out of a job with those rules unless they can change.  i like it  >=)
Thanks. 

@Decept-O said:

@ARMIV: That indeed is a list I wish someone would follow.

It is the list the industry needs, not wants...
#17 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking
Name: Tim and M's
Writer: Me - (I would hire new writers with fresh ideas.  Perhaps hold writing contests in places like comic vine to find new talent)

Genre: 1) Superhero 2) Fantasy

I would have some principles that governed every thing my company made:

1: Characters age and mature.  The deal with growing up, graduating high school, going to college (or not), graduate school (or not), getting married (or not), having kids (or not), raising a family (or not), etc... real life problems in addition to their super lives.

2: Death is permanent.  In my comic book universe, when a character that is loved dies, it hits hard because it's permanent.  Readers won't be thinking, "Well, that's sad but I'm glad he'll be back in a year or two."  Death is SUPPOSED to be sad.

3: No super hero would be powerful enough to alter all of existence or destroy it.  That's just ridiculous.  

4: Power levels would be maintained so that no one character can solve every problem.  With characters like this, there's really no challenge, and writers have to invent ridiculous mechanisms to force  a challenge into place.

Situation:  An asteroid the size of the moon is barreling towards earth!  It will destroy the earth and all life on it!
Solution:  Super - Uber - Ultra - Mega Hero flies into the asteroid smashing it to bits so small they can't harm any planet!  YAY!

Situation:  Evil villain has kidnapped three victims and has them strapped to bombs and held hostage on three different continents.  There's only minutes left to find the victims and save the day!
Solution:  Super - Uber - Ultra - Mega Hero flies at near light speed, locates all the victims with his super - uber - ultra - xray vision that allows him to also recognize the victims by their genomes... He uses his control over matter to change the bombs into clean air, and brings the victims home safely after using his healing powers to heal them of all wounds, both new and old... 

5: While stories can take years to unfold, no single story arc would ever be more than three issues long.  There would never be an issue which accomplished absolutely nothing.

6:  More issues.  Once a month simply isn't enough.  The readers deserve more story.  As impossible as it sounds, my company would aim to put out 4 issues per month.

7: (and the big one)  REAL TIME.  In my comic book universe, one year is one year.  If a character is 18 in the year 2000, then he turns 30 in the year 2012.... Simple as that.  Characters are supposed to age. 

NEVER HIRE  Geoff johns, joe quesada, jeph loeb. 
#18 Posted by NileThunderer (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Both lists would make comics so much better.

#19 Edited by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@castleking:  Name: Tim and M'sEditor: MeWriter: Me - (I would hire new writers with fresh ideas.  Perhaps hold writing contests in places like comic vine to find new talent)Genre: 1) Superhero 2) Fantasy I would have some principles that governed every thing my company made:  1: Characters age and mature.  The deal with growing up, graduating high school, going to college (or not), graduate school (or not), getting married (or not), having kids (or not), raising a family (or not), etc... real life problems in addition to their super lives.  2: Death is permanent.  In my comic book universe, when a character that is loved dies, it hits hard because it's permanent.  Readers won't be thinking, "Well, that's sad but I'm glad he'll be back in a year or two."  Death is SUPPOSED to be sad.  3: No super hero would be powerful enough to alter all of existence or destroy it.  That's just ridiculous.    4: Power levels would be maintained so that no one character can solve every problem.  With characters like this, there's really no challenge, and writers have to invent ridiculous mechanisms to force  a challenge into place.  Situation:  An asteroid the size of the moon is barreling towards earth!  It will destroy the earth and all life on it! Solution:  Super - Uber - Ultra - Mega Hero flies into the asteroid smashing it to bits so small they can't harm any planet!  YAY!  Situation:  Evil villain has kidnapped three victims and has them strapped to bombs and held hostage on three different continents.  There's only minutes left to find the victims and save the day! Solution:  Super - Uber - Ultra - Mega Hero flies at near light speed, locates all the victims with his super - uber - ultra - xray vision that allows him to also recognize the victims by their genomes... He uses his control over matter to change the bombs into clean air, and brings the victims home safely after using his healing powers to heal them of all wounds, both new and old...   5: While stories can take years to unfold, no single story arc would ever be more than three issues long.  There would never be an issue which accomplished absolutely nothing.  6:  More issues.  Once a month simply isn't enough.  The readers deserve more story.  As impossible as it sounds, my company would aim to put out 4 issues per month.  7: (and the big one)  REAL TIME.  In my comic book universe, one year is one year.  If a character is 18 in the year 2000, then he turns 30 in the year 2012.... Simple as that.  Characters are supposed to age.   NEVER HIRE  Geoff johns, joe quesada, jeph loeb. 
 You have one good head on your shoulders; a lot of great ideas that I think should be followed.

@ARMIV said:

@castleking said:

@ARMIV:   post your ten commandments
1. No clones without proper story to back up it's inclusion into the canon universe. 
2. Outer space is to be respected; Not everyone gets to go there. 
3. If it appears out of character, drop it before it hits the script/page. 
4. If something out of character should happen, take it up with the original story writers, then handle it with the up-most care. Give a reason to how and why it happened, and how it will be dealt with. 
5. Stats don't always win battles, but they sure help. Stick to them. 
6. No one is to get divorced, married, turn gay/straight (etc.) for the sake of sales or shock value. Story comes first always
7. Utility belts and straps aren't toys, and therefore should not be handed out to everyone. Same with guns and swords. 
8. No characters that are at least 70% too much like somebody else's character (same applies to story). Inspiration is good, but keep it as just that. Plagiarism is NOT acceptable at all.
9. Death is to be respected. It is not plot device. 10. We sell character and the entirety of their depth, not shock, not skin, and most certainly not for the sake of the green.   Something like this. 
'Tis a good list, brother, a very good list indeed!
#20 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
what would you call it? 
Naval Comics. It's a parody of Marvel I've been using since my youth.
The logo is a picture of an orange naval.

who would be the 1st writer, inker, penciler for your main project?   
Writer: Mort Todd
Art: Dan Brereton (he'll paint it so all bases are covered)

what kinda genre would you write about or focus more on? 
Eccentric. I'd let the talent come up with whatever unusual things they wanted. Art for arts sake.

would you cater to the fans would you maintain continuity? 
I want in my heart to say continuity, but my genre choice generally cancels that out.

would you fire or refuse to hire certain writers, pencilers or editors?  
No, I can't see a reason that would be needed.
#21 Posted by Amazingoctus (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

Name: Not sure.
Editor:  I'd get there later
Writer:  Me, maybe others later on
Inker/colorist: I'd get there later 
Artist: I'd get there later  
Genre: I think it would be mainly be Sci-fi but there would more than likely be more. 

"would you cater to the fans would you maintain continuity?" Yes

"would you fire or refuse to hire certain writers, pencilers or editors?" Yes 

"most importantly why?" I guess because of my obsession with comics. Also because I have a lot I want to be able to put out there
#22 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
Company Name:   Creation Rock Comics

writer: Me (Christopher Yost/Chris Claremont/ Chuck Dixon, Kieron Gillen)
inker:    (Todd Mcfarlane/ Rob Hunter, John Rauch)
penciler:   ( Steve Skroce/Scott Daniel/) 
Genre: Myth/Sci-Fi, Black Ops/Espionage. 
Native American Lore/ Jack Kirby Style -  written by Kiron Gillen & Me
Sci-Fi Blackops/Weapon X Style - Chris Yost/Chris Claremont & Chuck Dixon. Plot provided by Me.
Teenage Superhero angst/Spiderman style - Written by Tom Defalco & Fabian Nicieza

Company Memo: 
1)  no one is to hire Jeph Loeb,  Joe Quesada, Geoff Jones, Rob Leifeld or Greg Land, List would be updated regularly and will be permanent Ban. 
2)  hired writers must have respect for continuity. respect for established character history and past writers and know his comics.
3) permission from creator and original writer to permanently alter characters. 
4) power consistency is key this is not  DCU a character will not fluctuate from established powerset
5) No shock value storylines, all stories must be respectful to the fan base. This is not a soap Opera where crap writing is allowed.
6)  Large scale crossover storylines will be limited to 1 every half decade, we are not in the business of milking our costumers with cheap sale tactics.
7) Death is permanent no previous writer will undo past story for revival.
8) Sliding Scale Universe. President and Celebrities will be fictitious but mirror real world celebrity in order to maintain the sliding scale.
9) Batman/Captain American/Daredevil  level PIS is not permitted and is frown upon. Such characters will remain within their weight class. no hail mary weapon pull out their @$$ or magic pressure point attack that can bypass steel or diamond like skin. power sets should make some sort of internal logic within the story. No Duex Ex Machina excuses.
10)  Comic prices shall be maintained low $2.50 at most.