#1 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi! Sorry, I didn't find another thread about this arc specifically. If it's a duplicate thread let me know and I'll find the older one.

I just caught up with the series and I was a little underwhelmed.

However, since there are a lot of intelligent readers on this site that know a lot more about the DCU than me, I wanted to hear some positive opinions and see if I can get the spirit right.

#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17890 posts) - - Show Bio

Like every giant crossover event recently, it was too long and just boring. DC and Marvel need to quit with that crap for a while and stick with the small crossovers.

Leave the actual events to Valiant. (boom)

#3 Posted by waezi2 (7704 posts) - - Show Bio

Like every giant crossover event recently, it was too long and just boring. DC and Marvel need to quit with that crap for a while and stick with the small crossovers.

I ave no knowledge about Valiant, but pretty much this.

There is nothing wrong with a small crossover now and then. In fact, my favorite CO is Underworld Unleashed, and it's only three issues long.

#4 Posted by Jphu8414 (3808 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the event and thought it was pretty awesome. I'm a pretty big fan of DC's villains and alot of them like Luthor, Black Manta, Captain Cold, and Bizarro were written exceptionally well, and I just thought it was really cool that a whole event was all about giving recognition to the villains, hence "Forever Evil" An overall good event for DC and a nice way to kick of events in the New 52.

The delays sucked so hard though, that might have been part of the reason.

#5 Edited by Frozen (13561 posts) - - Show Bio

I was intrigued by the concept, the villains of main Earth vs a world compromised of villains.

#6 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17890 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

I ave no knowledge about Valiant, but pretty much this.

There is nothing wrong with a small crossover now and then. In fact, my favorite CO is Underworld Unleashed, and it's only three issues long.

I liked Trinity War and Throne of Atlantis type crossovers. 6 issues or so between a 2-3 books. That's all you really need imo. Its done and over with in 2-3 months but you still have plenty of story to create world changing events.

Taking 8 months is just too long

#7 Posted by Xwraith (18676 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read it.

#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5823 posts) - - Show Bio

It was one hell of a Lex Luthor story.

#9 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3124 posts) - - Show Bio

It was good. It just took WAY too long to conclude. It should've ended 3 months ago at least. Was one big story to turn Lex into a hero, so the title of the arc/event is kinda ironic

#10 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (985 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really disappointed by this event. Especially the conclusion to the Alexander Luthor fight smh. I was hoping that he would become a recurring villain in the DC universe. I mean he was so powerful, he could have been such a larger threat. The way the event was hyping him up made it seem like he was the game changer the end all be all guy.

#11 Posted by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read issue 7 and whatever they put in the Justice League books but after how it ended..I can't help but feel like it reminds me of Norman Osborn and Dark Reign. Lex Luthor is seen as a "good" guy now the same was Normie was after he killed the Skrull Queen. Now we also have Luthor attempting to lead his own team the same way Norman did with his Dark Avengers.

#12 Posted by Jayc1324 (12348 posts) - - Show Bio

Very good story, lex luthor was awesome. Earth three guys and girls were awesome, but Batman was written like crap and putting forcing dick to give up being Nightwing was a horrible decision. So it all balances out.

#13 Posted by Aliltron (78 posts) - - Show Bio

It started off strong but went on for WAY too long, the delay only made it worse. Small crossovers are fine but these longer events are getting to be a real drag.

#14 Posted by The Stegman (24661 posts) - - Show Bio

It was...decent, but the long a** gaps in between each issue made me lose interest in the event after a while. I feel like I would have liked it more in a trade.

#15 Posted by Jayc1324 (12348 posts) - - Show Bio

The horribly written batman doesn't take away from the overall story though. Lex is awesome and there's epic battles between the earth 3 guys. Its really awesome actually.

#16 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I see pretty diverse opinions. I seem to notice that those people who liked it are all about having "awesome" scenes. I can see that. It's probably not my cup of tea. Ironically I liked the buildup to it much more.

I agree with those who say that we can't have giant crossovers bleeding constantly into each other. The involvment of some characters seems coincidental or forced, sometimes.

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7129 posts) - - Show Bio

Lackluster, same as most events. David Finch's art was pretty subpar too.

#18 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6208 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright...just alright.

#19 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4249 posts) - - Show Bio

Forever Evil I thought was ok. Like most have mentioned the delay was lame. However, Forever Evil Blight story line was boring to me and went on forever.

#20 Posted by Xwraith (18676 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read it.

I haven't read an event story since AvX - and I only kept up with that because one of the books I was reading at the time tied into it.

#21 Posted by Squalleon (4626 posts) - - Show Bio

It was alright...just alright.

This. Main problem was that in the first 5 issues nothing happened and suddently everything was resolved in the last two issues (like most events). This event could have been a four issue event. Finch's art was mediocre, the faces were horrible, you couldn't understand if someone was happy or sad, the sequences were nothing spectacular. And the main series tied a lot with the horrible tie-ins.

#22 Edited by Vitalius (1965 posts) - - Show Bio

It was ok

I find that if Wonder Woman used her lasso on Atomica, the event itself could never exist or take another take.

Earth-3 debut was cool.

Being next to Trinity War hurt and having lot of tie ins hurt a lot.

Nightwing dogde another death because fans.

Stargirl´s final issue was terribel because how they end it.

#23 Edited by entropy_aegis (15341 posts) - - Show Bio

It was just an excuse for Johns to get villains that he has boners for together,the first 5 issues were mediocre,the last one was fun and bombastic but also ultimately lacking in substance.

The events of this story are mostly inelastic,many characters were useless,really think about it,Cold was useless,Selina was useless,Manta and Deathstroke were totally useless,Batman was useless(as usual in a Johns story),even Bizarro was kinda useless.

Luthors team just bumped in to each other accidentally,Owlman's plan and sub plot with Nightwing amounted to nothing(he just sat in a chair),Superwoman's backstory was blatantly teased but never told,Steve Trevor got horribly sidelined.

It's 5/10 story overall.

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14902 posts) - - Show Bio

It was intriguing and I liked it but it had too many flaws and Batman idiocity from Johns. He just fanwanked the villains he likes and likes writing about and then there was Batman who was written like a 8 year-old who cna;t control himself. But apart from that there were some pretty awesome moments and the story had a good concept overall but it was nothing that special.

Something like a 6-7/10.

#25 Posted by Experio (16280 posts) - - Show Bio

Mediocre

#26 Posted by JasonHawke (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. I mean, as far as comic book stories go...

Takes way too long to conclude than it should though.

#27 Posted by nateb1211 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall I liked it. The last issue however disappointed me.

#28 Posted by Eisenfauste (8319 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to read it first.

#29 Edited by MannEffest (1281 posts) - - Show Bio
"Meh."

For what it was, it was alright. It was enjoyable while it lasted, but I won't look back and think it was THAT good.

#30 Edited by entropy_aegis (15341 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd also mention that there no depth to this story at all,arcs like these are a chance for introspection for the characters,they should be reflective. Batman meets Owlman,nothing no emotion no reaction,Sinestro meets Power Ring again nothing,Ultraman/Lex again zilch.It was a filler event.

#31 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd also mention that there no depth to this story at all,arcs like these are a chance for introspection for the characters,they should be reflective. Batman meets Owlman,nothing no emotion no reaction,Sinestro meets Power Ring again nothing,Ultraman/Lex again zilch.It was a filler event.

Interesting. That is exactly what I thought. But maybe it's us who should not expect that kind of story from the big two. It has been a while since I read something of the sort from them.

#32 Edited by Superguy1591 (3425 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wish the heroes didn't take a back seat. Lobdell and the Superman writers seem to think Superman is still the toughest out in DC, but he's not shown me one supermanly feat in JL.

No, I don't mean lifting mountains. I meam show me Superman showing off why he's a member of the Trinity. He doesn't rally the group, doesn't lead them into battle, doesn't even act as the voice of reason. This event could have made him useful, but he got taken before the fighting even began.

#33 Posted by entropy_aegis (15341 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Interesting. That is exactly what I thought. But maybe it's us who should not expect that kind of story from the big two. It has been a while since I read something of the sort from them.

Yeah you would expect Nightwing to show some reaction to being held by an even more paranoid version of Bruce Wayne who dresses up like an Owl,considering Dick's history with Batman and even the Court of Owls,but nope he's just "you're crazy".

#34 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10761 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved it. I love the Crime Syndicate and Lex Luthor. I'm loving where it's heading post Forever Evil.

#35 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah you would expect Nightwing to show some reaction to being held by an even more paranoid version of Bruce Wayne who dresses up like an Owl,considering Dick's history with Batman and even the Court of Owls,but nope he's just "you're crazy".

Yeah, and also it's not like we got a lot of explainations on "Lois" aka Superwoman. She was just basically an animal trying to find the best place to procreate.

I remember, in Invincible, when parallel realities were brought in the mix, they used alternative versions of the protagonist to explain what's important in his life, why he's a hero in so few versions of Earth and what makes him snap.

#36 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was a pretty good event but the delays just killed the momentum and my interest towards the end.

#37 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the only great things to happen to DC in years...But by God it was a masterpiece. Poison Ivy, Sinestro, Lex Luthor and Scarecrow were written SO well, the best they have been written in years. But it's not enough for me to forgive Heltzer Shelter...Or any Harley or Harley/Ivy comics this year.

#38 Posted by RDClip (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

waaaaaayyyyyy tooooo loooooonnnnnnngggggg.

It bogged down JL, JLA, JLD, and suicide squad and made those books stop in their tracks for 6 months. Kinda disappointing because JL and JLA prior to Trinity war seemed like they were getting interesting with new JL members and with the JLA's governmental mission.

Add to the fact that all the crossover books and miniseries books made the event seem much bigger than it actually was.

#39 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It was one hell of a Lex Luthor story.

lol this..............................I personally really liked it, my only complaint is that it dragged out way to long. But I like the focus on Lex later on, the friendship that was built between Star Girl and MMH, The bad guys saving the world, Luthor vs Luthor I thought it was great.

#40 Posted by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

These long crossover events make me lose interest from the start and it's frustrating if you're following one of the titles included in the crossover event - you spend 6 to 8 months having to wait for some overhyped-below-par event to finish. I like small crossover events, such as Trinity War - 6 issues long and lasted no longer than 3 months. Simple.

#41 Posted by Deathstroke52 (605 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Lex so this was a great story to me.