Your Impressions/Ranking of Mainstream Shonen Anime/Manga?

• 59 results
pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fairy Tail and Rave Master are very similar... made by the same guy after all.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikachumonster: Except RAVE is win. And Fairy Tail is suck.

Mashima either used up all his creativity kn RAVE, or he got lazy and started to subscribe to generic shonen cliches too often with FT.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikachumonster: Except RAVE is win. And Fairy Tail is suck.

Mashima either used up all his creativity kn RAVE, or he got lazy and started to subscribe to generic shonen cliches too often with FT.

It's sad really, because he really was a hard working mangaka.

Avatar image for deactivated-62433ff119047
deactivated-62433ff119047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones said:

@thechosenlolofgod said:

@thatguywithheadphones: I never said it was one-sided, just saying. Not only that but there are other mainstream shonen apart from my list like Slam Dunk, Dragon Ball, even Astro Boy and more of which I haven't watched. The fact remains that more otakus are attracted to mainstream shonen because it appeals to a large audience. And if you extend the list more, more from my list and other mainstreams will pop up.

Yeah, but they'll still be preceded by other non mainstream manga.

Agreed.

This also brings up a question. What do you define as "mainstream"? I mean FT on your list but 20 Century Boys has made double that. Is it mainstream?

I don't want to quiblble over such a small matter lol. But I consider mainstream shonen as in 200 + episodes of mediocre plot/story, anime consisted of cliché characters (and maybe even plot), scenes full of friendship speeches, etcetc.

@blackwind said:

Immensely bland main character.

Illogical power ups .

Failing to follow up on villain hype.

Ignoring everyone but a few main heroes.

Episodic plot.

Etc.

Pretty much exactly what Blackwind has stated.

D3MON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By D3MON

What do you as a Viner think? Do you enjoy shounen anime or manga, likewise? If so or if not, why?

I love certain shonen like Soul Eater. Others, like the ones listed, I do not like.

@thechosenlolofgod

And I refer to the really popular mainstream shonen anime, like:

• Naruto
  • One Piece
  • Bleach
  • Fairy Tail
  • Hunter X Hunter
  • Toriko

When it's super popular and mainstream, the quality is usually inferior to that of other masterpieces out there. Animators and writers get lazy, profits keep coming, so they usually don't have to worry about their audience.

I've watched a bit of all of them, I'd say I like Naruto the most (and that's not saying much), only because the fight scenes are quite good, and the storyline is dark and it gets right down to the stuff that makes it appealing.

Raijin6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Toriko

2. Hunter X Hunter

3. Naruto

4. Fairy Tail

5. Bleach

6. One Piece

This is just at the moment. Even though I like Bleach more in general right now it just sucks. The typical Kubo treatment: "oh something exciting. better first show some boring stuff". One Piece had a pretty good arc but i like it in general less and all the stretching (haha because luffy is made of rubber :D) of the chapters is just annoying. Fairy tail is as i read in some other comments just the bad version of Rave Master and even though it´s getting quite good right now I don´t think it´s that good. Narutos end did suck so much but nonetheless i like it especially with the movie(s). HxH is on hiatus again but the whole idea at the moment even leaving gon etc out is just nice. one or even more arcs without the main character is a refreshing idea for a shounen manga as i think this doesn´t happen that often. finally there is toriko. and here i have to say i grew to love this manga. i mean now there is this arc with chars that i never thought were the least bit interesting and i still like it. that almost never happens to me so i had to put it on 1.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

1. Bleach

2. Naruto

3. One Piece

4. Fairy Tale
Haven't read or even watched other 2. Bleach is average as an anime and I don't like One Piece, Naruto or Fairy Tale.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

To be honest, most shonen isn't actually written well. The worlds, characters, and humor are what I watch them for.

Hunter x Hunter- pretty fricking good.

Fairy Tail- lol, you guys take this show waaay to seriously. It doesn't deserve half the hate it gets.

One Piece- amazing story...but the pacing is what killed it for me.

Bleach- would have been the top had the it not died halfway through. The pacing sucked too.

Never seen Naruto or Toriko.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Just_Banter
  1. Hunter X Hunter
  2. One Piece
  3. Toriko (from what I've heard of it, I haven't read it)
  4. Naruto
  5. Bleach
  6. Fairy Tail