You can't destroy the world with a punch, Unless you are a massive titan, It is impossible!

• 49 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

There is one thing that bugs me, When illiterate people throw stats about strength and punching power in battles, When it comes punching power, It is mass+acceleration that determines the strongest punch and when it comes to fictional characters it is probably a good idea to +distance to it too.

So what does this mean? It means that a lot of characters are limited by their own physical build, Someone like Hulk can cause way more collateral damage than Superman or anyone who is all physical attributes, The only way to destroy the world is with linear momentum, Meaning that someone like Superman would have to go through the world over and over again, He could destroy the world with lasers too i am sure but talking only physics here.

A crane can cause way more destruction than a standing punch from superman.

No Caption Provided

It also means

No Caption Provided

THE PUNCHES YOU SEE SAITAMA DO ARE IMPOSSIBLE AND ABSURD

Destroying the world with a punch would only be plausible if it is said that the punch was enchanted by KI OR MAGIC

Take God Goku vs Beerus for example

They empower their punches with their KI, So it is their actual energy that causes the destruction.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What the heck are you talking aboutlol kirby says high. 8 inch pink baby punched the entire planet to dust with 1 punch. Dont apply logic to these things.

Insertnewname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Insertnewname

What did saitama-sama do that can't be? Don't you dare talk him bad *mad* :p

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's apply logic to entertainment for no reason

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has destroyed a planet in one punch.

Real life logic doesn't apply to comics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the heck are you talking aboutlol kirby says high. 8 inch pink baby punched the entire planet to dust with 1 punch. Dont apply logic to these things.

It is a must, People think strength=power most of the time, It confounds me. We can take Flash and Superman for example, Superman infinitely stronger than Flash, But the one who is going to throw a harder punch is the one who is faster and covers more distance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has destroyed a planet in one punch.

Real life logic doesn't apply to comics.

Ok, Why do real life logic apply in the vs battle section then or in any battle as a matter of fact? Heck, You see screwattack using real science but what they fail to realise is that they got an F in physics and that some things are really completely absurd. Meaning i am not the only one, I am just trying to prove a point.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunch of weirdos applying science to comic books. Perfectly fine with flying people but how dare you say they can destroy a planet!

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its impossible. I think if we are taking a purely physics based approach to the idea there are a bunch of factors to take into account. For instance, where the impact takes place, what is being used for said impact, the physical size(mass) as well as the speed/acceleration of said thing. All of that plays a part. If someone or some thing hits the ocean for instance then the water will absorb the entire impact most likely causing tsunamis but not a true planet busting impact. I agree that most people's fists simply do not have the requires mass to bust a planet though.

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: with real physics, you could destroy the earth with a punch if you could punch at lightspeed or more

But accelerating towards lightspeed would give you an infinite mass

So yeah if you have enough energy to reach lightspeed with a punch plus a fist that won't dissentagrate on the way to the speed then yes you can destroy the earth with a punch

And saitama punch in your OP is speed, like I said the faster you move the more mass you have.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we are talking real world science, yes I agree you can't destroy the world with a punch, duh.

If we are talking comics, this proves nothing.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mortein

If you hit the Earth with enough kinetic energy, kinetic energy would be transformed into heat energy and kugelblitz black hole would be formed, causing most of the planet to implode onto itself, into singularity.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

If you hit the Earth with enough kinetic energy, kinetic energy would be transformed into heat energy and kugelblitz black hole would be formed, causing most of the planet to implode onto itself, into singularity.

That's why telekinetics are among the biggest threats in the Marvel U.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oopsen said:

@crash_: with real physics, you could destroy the earth with a punch if you could punch at lightspeed or more

But accelerating towards lightspeed would give you an infinite mass

So yeah if you have enough energy to reach lightspeed with a punch plus a fist that won't dissentagrate on the way to the speed then yes you can destroy the earth with a punch

And saitama punch in your OP is speed, like I said the faster you move the more mass you have.

You flunked your classes, You get relativistic mass and no, It can not destroy the earth.

No Caption Provided

My fist covers the same space as that image on the screen and my fist is above average, However lets say that superman or whomever had the same fist size.

There is no way in hell that anyone on his knees just directs hist fist towards the earth and destroys it, The radius and the surface covered is laughable.

@mortein I mentioned linear momentum in the OP, Kinetic energy is very similar. However this is about something else.

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: no it is simple the faster you go the more mass you accumulate, nothing with mass can reach the speed of light without substantial force behind it

In fact as of today it is impossible by scientific standards for us to make anything go lightspeed

But if something had enough speed it would reach and almost infinite mass

It's simple science Breh

Google the science of anything with mass going lightspeed go read a couple case studies and some of einsteins work and come back to me.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akira is that you?

Don't worry buddy no ones gonna sue you any time soon for plagiarising Superman.and no that Goku universe feat is still retarded in the physics sense of the feat and yes Superman totally beats him even now

Btw I loved your attempt at " Ki /Magic feats are TOTALLY VALID but solar energised / gamma energised superhuman feats are not. Cuz Science ! Ably supported by a suitably heavy dose of bias !"

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, you have to take all physics in fiction with a grain of salt. Or else when people punched someone across the room, the puncher would fly back in the other direction. Fiction is more fun when it's fiction.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well what I don't understand is that why people are OKAY with Superman ignoring physics such that he can destroy the world with a punch, but people start complaining "Batman is SUPERHUMAN!!!!" when Batman has feats that surpass what any man in real life can do by himself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oopsen said:

@crash_: no it is simple the faster you go the more mass you accumulate, nothing with mass can reach the speed of light without substantial force behind it

In fact as of today it is impossible by scientific standards for us to make anything go lightspeed

But if something had enough speed it would reach and almost infinite mass

It's simple science Breh

Google the science of anything with mass going lightspeed go read a couple case studies and some of einsteins work and come back to me.

It is not infinite, IT IS RELATIVISTIC! YOU CANT BE ALMOST INFINITE! THAT IS ABSURD! For the love of god!

Infinite= Boundless. finite= With bounds. You are one or the other, You are not almost infinite.

And just so you know, An object never actually changes mass, Faster and faster, More and more energy, We mentioned kinetic energy earlier.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

It's impossible that Spider-Man has a sixth sense thay warns him of danger before it happens.

It's impossible Deadpool can pull himself back together from being dismembered.

There are a lot of impossibles in comics. That's part of the fun.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suspension of Disbelief, the reason no one complaint when DB characters can do this, but Batman who is told to be a normal human in every single panel they can, can catch bullets, they complaint.

Goes against the internal logic of the fiction.

Storytelling has to make sense, not to be realistic.

Batman being a human being without powers, should never be shown doing thing that you can only explain as he has powers.

@lvenger said:

@deathpoolthet1000 Stole your gif btw.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was about to say, someone get the Affleck gif.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lvenger
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akira is that you?

Don't worry buddy no ones gonna sue you any time soon for plagiarising Superman.and no that Goku universe feat is still retarded in the physics sense of the feat and yes Superman totally beats him even now

Btw I loved your attempt at " Ki /Magic feats are TOTALLY VALID but solar energised / gamma energised superhuman feats are not. Cuz Science ! Ably supported by a suitably heavy dose of bias !"

Amen.

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: yes you are right the object itself never changes mass, but the energy required to move it has mass.

The faster you go the more energy required which means more mass which means more energy which means more mass..

You aren't wrong you just didn't take in account the fact that energy has mass and that is where the mass increase takes place.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There somethings you can apply sicene to in comics and it be the same with irl. WHen it comes to stuff like that with the punch you can only apply so much science. Just do what you can.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right.

Which is why, as pointed out a few times now in fact, real world logic and science does not apply to comic book feats.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is fiction, who the hell cares?

Bats16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell that to Champa and Beerus.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By midnightdragon18
Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Overmonitor

@oopsen: My god I hate how many times I have to do this. I may as well copy/paste it.

You do not gain mass as you go faster bro. Really? Think about it.

You gain force not mass. Relatively, you hit as hard as something with much more mass as you go faster, but in actuality, you are gaining force as you accelerate towards lightspeed... not mass.

F = m * a

Mass and acceleration wre independent of each other. It is so simple. If you don't believe me Google it. There's a reason we don't use physics in comics. Wally's IMP is a misnomer. It is an "extremely forceful punch".

Let's say he was going lightspeed. He says "As I approach the speed of light" meaning at max he is going lightspeed. The speed of light is nowhere near infinity miles per hour, much less per second, or even less per nanosecond. And even then we are ignoring the fact that "infinity" miles per hour may not be infinity miles per nanosecond, and so infinity could be relative because we are using imperfect measurements for time and distance literally made up by humans.

Anyways, Wally simply hit with a lot of force, or it felt like he had ton of mass, due to increases force, but nowhere near infinite force (lightspeed is not infinite) nor did traveling at lightspeed affect his actual mass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor said:

@oopsen: My god I hate how many times I have to do this. I may as well copy/paste it.

You do not gain mass as you go faster bro. Really? Think about it.

You gain force not mass. Relatively, you hit as hard as something with much more mass as you go faster, but in actuality, you are gaining force as you accelerate towards lightspeed... not mass.

F = m * a

Mass and acceleration wre independent of each other. It is so simple. If you don't believe me Google it. There's a reason we don't use physics in comics. Wally's IMP is a misnomer. It is an "extremely forceful punch".

Let's say he was going lightspeed. He says "As I approach the speed of light" meaning at max he is going lightspeed. The speed of light is nowhere near infinity miles per hour, much less per second, or even less per nanosecond. And even then we are ignoring the fact that "infinity" miles per hour may not be infinity miles per nanosecond, and so infinity could be relative because we are using imperfect measurements for time and distance literally made up by humans.

Anyways, Wally simply hit with a lot of force, or it felt like he had ton of mass, due to increases force, but nowhere near infinite force (lightspeed is not infinite) nor did traveling at lightspeed affect his actual mass.

Thank god someone gets it. That guy even had the nerve to tell me to google Einstein, I was always top of my peers when it came to physics and when someone who has no idea what theyre talking about starts throwing "Facts" just makes me go ape doodoo.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Overmonitor

@crash_: Yeah you would be shocked how many people prefer to believe their own version of reality when the answers are literally on Google or in a textbook using common sense. I fear for the future of mankind.

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: @crash_: you do gain mass, let's say I'm running a 400 meter race, from 0-100 meters I accelerate to 1/4 light speed while I'm accelerating the energy I accumulate has a mass so it requires more energy to move which in turns equals more mass.

So by the time I'm at the 300 meter mark assuming I was accelerating at the same speed I would have to continuously supply more and more energy to keep moving at that same speed which in turn turns into more mass.

I don't understand what you don't understand.

oopsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor: read my last reply to crash, you do gain mass where do you think the kinetic energy goes? Everything has a mass even energy and to continuously approach lightspeed it would require more energy, which would = more mass so I have to continuously add more and more energy to keep the same acceleration which in turns Kees adding mass

This is why we can't make anything go lightspeed, we don't have enough energy output to do so.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Overmonitor

@oopsen: Let us reason this out.

It seems (key word) like you gain mass because you gain so much force by accelerating. F = m*a.

Why would that feel like it increased your mass? Because the inverse.

F / a = m.

So technically the higher your force due to acceleration, yes, the higher your mass seems, but we are forgetting your force increases relative to your acceleration due to the original equation. So the higher your "a" then your "f" gets even higher due to the original equation. You can't raise "a" without raising "f" or else you risk changing "m".

The problem lies in assigning responsibility for how much you must raise or lower "f". So with a higher force after accelerating to the speed of light, to someone without context, they could look at whatever f is, and they could come to the conclusion that an extremely massive object was moving half the speed of light, or that a tiny object was moving the speed of light, either could be true because a third party only feels f. So technically, yes, your m increases with f normally. But this isnt normal and we know exactly what happened. A tiny object accelerated to gain force. A tiny object did not gain mass to gain force. We know this. Stop overthinking it.

Understand?

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@overmonitor said:

@oopsen: Let us reason this out.

It seems (key word) like you gain mass because you gain so much force by accelerating. F = m*a.

Why would that feel like it increased your mass? Because the inverse.

F / a = m.

So technically the higher your force due to acceleration, yes, the higher your mass seems, but we are forgetting your force increases relative to your acceleration due to the original equation. So the higher your "a" then your "f" gets even higher due to the original equation. You can't raise "a" without raising "f" or else you risk changing "m".

The problem lies in assigning responsibility for how much you must raise or lower "f". So with a higher force after accelerating to the speed of light, to someone without context, they could look at whatever f is, and they could come to the conclusion that an extremely massive object was moving half the speed of light, or that a tiny object was moving the speed of light, either could be true because a third party only feels f. So technically, yes, your m increases with f normally. But this isnt normal and we know exactly what happened. A tiny object accelerated to gain force. A tiny object did not gain mass to gain force. We know this. Stop overthinking it.

Understand?

In a sense @oopsen is correct, but only because he doesn't understand what he is talking about. Kinetic energy doesn't have mass. It is a measurement, not a form of energy. Not any more mass than potential energy has. Those are more a measurement of an objects's speed and mass. I mean the equation to determine KE is... KE = 0.5 • m • v^2. It shows that it is a measurement of the things we are talking about, you are basically reinforcing Overmonitor's argument. KE like F goes up and down with speed. You are looking at a more complicated version of F = m * a but... yours disproves your argument, actually. It proves that speed is much more important to gaining KE than mass. Mass is divided in half but velocity is squared. This means for every unit of KE you could either add several units of mass or less than 1 unit of speed and you would get the same boost to KE, speed is anywhere from 2 to infinity times more important than mass in your equation. And they are still independent. Truly, you must be confused.

Say...

M = 100 kg and a = 186,000 m/s

The first equation would be F = 100 * 186,000 so F = 18,600,000 units (whatever kg*m/s is, probably Newtons)

If we used that number for the second equation, only judging the force and object feels, then yes, it could seem like mass increased. Why?

The equation F / a = m, without knowing the mass or acceleration of the object, could be many different things, we can't determine the mass or speed of an object just by knowing the force. This is why it could feel like the object gained mass when it increases in force, because it could have either gained mass, acceleration, or both in some combination. It is impossible to differentiate between acceleration and mass for the party affected by force.

18,600,000 / a = m. We cannot solve this equation without more information. Thus, we cannot differentiate Flash's mass from his speed at the point of impact with a device made to measure impact.

Now, we all know he was traveling the speed of light but that makes no difference to his mass. His speed I mean.

So I can now solve the second equation. 18,600,000 N / 186,000 m/s = m. M = 100 kg

I mean there is no way that you can show me, using math or reasoning, why Wally's mass would increase with his force. We know he didn't pick up anything on his way to Zum, so why would I assume his mass increased when he hit Zum with more force? Because Wally said so? Come on, man.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bats16: Lol they're like 5 year olds who are super strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bats16: Lol they're like 5 year olds who are super strong

Not really. If i was as powerful, I would act just as them, I mean why would you even care about anything when you can do everything and no one can do a thing to you lol

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: yeah but still I've never seen Goku or Vegeta act like that... Though Buu and Gotenks are perfect examples of powerful people abusing power. But Beerus and Champa should know better by now they're extremely old and need to learn responsibility. Vados and Whis should have been taught them that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_: yeah but still I've never seen Goku or Vegeta act like that... Though Buu and Gotenks are perfect examples of powerful people abusing power. But Beerus and Champa should know better by now they're extremely old and need to learn responsibility. Vados and Whis should have been taught them that

Beerus and Champa were probably born very powerful, So they do not think much of consequences. Goku and Vegeta grew into it, They got their butt whooped way too often.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You ever read something and think to yourself "with logic like this I bet this guy is a DBZ fan" and then stumble upon validation?