Yo People! Cosplay isn't Consent!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#503  Edited By Jokergeist

@mitran: @wolverine08: One cosplayer was drugged and raped (while unconscious) at this year's Aki-Con.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can genuinely see merit in both sides of the debate here.

Of course, no one should ever be touched without their consent, and anyone who thinks its okay to inappropriately touch a female (or male for that matter) or speak to them in a way that makes them uncomfortable is definitely in the wrong. And in a perfect world, it wouldn't happen.

But this isn't a perfect world. It does happen, it will continue to happen, and so anyone with even a shred of common sense would no to be prepared for it. Of course it wouldn't matter if women all started dressing like nuns, there would still be sexual harassment in the world... but going out in nipple pasties and a thong doesn't help matters either. If a woman makes a conscious choice to leave her home dressed in a provocative manner, she should be aware that such attention becomes significantly more likely. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way things are, and no amount of dry-erase board warnings are going to change that.

At the end of the day, the blame falls on both parties to a degree. And I want to be clear that the perpetrator of sexual harassment or assault is always at fault, and they're the ones who should be punished, the ones who we should be looking down upon with scrutinizing eyes. But dressing sensibly in public is always a plus.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

...bump!

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

I can genuinely see merit in both sides of the debate here.

Of course, no one should ever be touched without their consent, and anyone who thinks its okay to inappropriately touch a female (or male for that matter) or speak to them in a way that makes them uncomfortable is definitely in the wrong. And in a perfect world, it wouldn't happen.

But this isn't a perfect world. It does happen, it will continue to happen, and so anyone with even a shred of common sense would no to be prepared for it. Of course it wouldn't matter if women all started dressing like nuns, there would still be sexual harassment in the world... but going out in nipple pasties and a thong doesn't help matters either. If a woman makes a conscious choice to leave her home dressed in a provocative manner, she should be aware that such attention becomes significantly more likely. Doesn't make it right, but that's the way things are, and no amount of dry-erase board warnings are going to change that.

At the end of the day, the blame falls on both parties to a degree. And I want to be clear that the perpetrator of sexual harassment or assault is always at fault, and they're the ones who should be punished, the ones who we should be looking down upon with scrutinizing eyes. But dressing sensibly in public is always a plus.

This man is a genius

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People are asking for it if they dress slutty.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never knew there was harrasment at comic con... LOL NERDS.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's not right for the Hell's Angels to beat me (a black guy) to death with crowbars.

I have the right to go into any bar I want and have a drink.

If I were to see a gathering of Hell's Angels at my neighborhood tavern I wouldn't go in. I wouldn't even pull into the parking lot.

So: if wearing a bikini in a public place isn't working out so well.. stop it.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't touch people without the people giving you consent to touch them.

Simple things are simple.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#512  Edited By Gizmorino

I was told if i bump this i open pandora's box on comicvine.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was late!!!!!!!

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#514  Edited By Mrnoital

obviously sexual assault is always wrong, but if dressing less provocatively lowers the chance of it happening, maybe it's worth trying, basically

@edblank said:

It's not right for the Hell's Angels to beat me (a black guy) to death with crowbars.

I have the right to go into any bar I want and have a drink.

If I were to see a gathering of Hell's Angels at my neighborhood tavern I wouldn't go in. I wouldn't even pull into the parking lot.

So: if wearing a bikini in a public place isn't working out so well.. stop it.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#515 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Locked by request.