#451 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawnbaby: 1 in 71 males admitted to ever being raped in their lifetimes is what those figures show

men, especiually older man, are less likely to acknowledge that something that happenned to them was rape

and the twelve month cycle shows what happens currently, shile the lifetime figure has more from eras now finished

#452 Edited by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea cosplayers should "know better" is just an excuse to get away with inappropriate behaviour.

The idea potential victims of harassment should do whatever they can to prevent the action itself to the point of restricting movement are present themselves "modestly" is mind-boggling to me.

The idea this truth needs to be defended is equally shocking.

It's become circular - you find yourself repeating the same things to illustrate how wrong that position is and yet the persistent refusal to acknowledge what is blatant reeks of wilful ignorance.

I especially do no give any credence to people who misrepresent statistics of studies and throw out misinformation. Automatically you lose any semblance of credibility (although that is already in question considering their opinion on this issue)

This discussion is interesting, if only to gauge how prevalent this mindset is.

@vortex13 said:

I don't agree with what I'm about to post, I look at it from a standpoint of humor. And it is actually fairly relevant to the discussion.

So very relevant.

#453 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis:

"The idea this truth needs to be defended is equally shocking."

every mindset needs to be defended and hel to scrutiny.

the fact that your seeing dissent as shocking communicates extremism more than it does correctness

again., no one here has said that a sexual assaulter is justified, I'm here trying to say that your running a (pretty small as far as I can tell) risk by dressing sexy to a con, and telling potential gropers that you don't want to be graoped isn't going to help with anything

#454 Posted by Shawnbaby (10584 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawnbaby: 1 in 71 males admitted to ever being raped in their lifetimes is what those figures show

men, especiually older man, are less likely to acknowledge that something that happenned to them was rape

and the twelve month cycle shows what happens currently, shile the lifetime figure has more from eras now finished

I'm interested in you pointing out exactly what page it says women and men are raped equally. That...or to just admit you were lying about rape statistics to win an argument on the internet.

#455 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#456 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4720 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe this is a big deal. The times I've taken pictures it's either I stand next to them, take a picture of just them, or ask if I can get a specific picture.

( + )

#457 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: you didn't really give an antesedent fo "this"

specifically what are you unable to believe is a big deal?

#458 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4720 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: you didn't really give an antesedent fo "this"

specifically what are you unable to believe is a big deal?

Ok let me make it more antecedent:

Nerds are actually harassing CosPlayers at Conventions? I seen it happen at a lot of places, but from my comic book community, really? I am in disbelief.

( + )

#459 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: yeah I know, there are some real creeps out there, I mean, creeps exist everywhere if that's any consolation

that being said, what kind of harrassing have you seen and where?

#460 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4720 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

I seen it mostly at school(no lie), and concerts(specifically raves.)

I think its frankly weak and pathetic. I understand that in Raves the girls are half naked or whatever, and yes they want attention, but there is a big differences between a glare, stare, and touching. ME and my friends are peaceful, but we've gotten in several confrontations from guys who messed with our lady friends.

( + )

#461 Edited by SC (12896 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@sc said:

Great point about forced, something not really talked about as far as this thread is that for all the people spouting rhetoric about assuming risks, there is a difference between assuming risks and being forced upon. I mean this sort of incredibly stupid logic justifies and or apologizes children at playgrounds being abducted by child snatchers. Well, parents should know that by taking children to parks there is a risk, of course parents bloody well know that, people who aren't parents but possess working brains know that, but there is a clear difference between knowing risks and consent and knowing risks various degrees of consent. Everyone has basic rights, that interact with others. Which means a person who goes out in public doesn't have a right for people to not look at them. That would obviously interfere with other peoples rights because using vision isn't something that some people can use but not others, as far as rights. This bizarre assumption that cosplayers, people, girls, boy should know better and or if an individuals subjective understanding of a situation entitles that persons assumptions to act out on ways that violates peoples rights is something that I can't believe comes from a mind that cares about anyone ever or cares enough about reality enough to sincerely think and consider.

I agree. The idea cosplayers should "know better" is just an excuse to get away with inappropriate behavior. The idea potential victims of harassment should do whatever they can to prevent the action itself to the point of restricting movement are present themselves "modestly" is mind-boggling to me. The idea this truth needs to be defended is equally shocking. It's become circular - you find yourself repeating the same things to illustrate how wrong that position is and yet the persistent refusal to acknowledge what is blatant reeks of wilful ignorance. I especially do no give any credence to people who misrepresent statistics of studies and throw out misinformation. Automatically you lose any semblance of credibility (although that is already in question considering their opinion on this issue) This discussion is interesting, if only to gauge how prevalent this mindset is.

Hey, reminder, you might get groped at a comic con. Oh and inappropriate behavior and shoddy reasoning as well. Apparently every mindset has to be given equal opportunity for reasoning and counter reasoning. I guess in school they should start teaching 6 billion opinions as fact. Oh and don't forget that if someone makes an argument you can just lazily change it to some other argument, like if you advocate to valuing truth suddenly you become resistant to having ideas and truths defended. Suddenly you see dissent as shocking. Suddenly you are riding a giraffe through a village of small Swedish elders lopping off heads with your chainsaw with lollipop in mouth. Heh heh.

Why o why are you cosplaying through a Swedish town on a giraffe lopping off heads with a chainsaw? Hey, reminder, you might get groped. Apparently you might forget. Apparently you and your gender somehow need to be reminded? Also remember that if you are nice and polite while your lopping off Swedish peoples heads no one should mind. Niceness and politeness will justify anything you see then you can spout stuff about trees and peoples sexual organs.

Make sure that if any Swedish elder person runs away from your bizarre behavior you accuse them of the "Chewbacca Defense" because accusing them of that will definitely, definitely ensure that no one can accuse you of it right? Either that or Argument By Gibberish. Also remember you might get groped at a comic con. Oh you might not even get groped at a comic con. You might get groped anywhere. Also you might get injured at home. Also don't drown at a beach, be careful, there are risks. Also you might get rained on when it rains. Also if you climb into the lions cage at the zoo, it might scratch you. Oh wait, I don't just mean to warn you, I mean to warn everyone. Except wait, awareness never helps does it? Even though its been factually prove to in may ways in many contexts. I am lonely, please talk to me, anything even disagree, anything so I can keep replying to you.

Oh and I looked up some hot cosplay babes in skimpy cosplay comic cons last night and all the ones I looked up do have guidelines and rules, and the family friendly ones do tend to enforce them, that is to say as comic cons do get the right to distinguish what is or isn't appropriate, some cosplayers have been asked to change if they breached those guidelines or leave. So the idea that we have these comic cons going crazy with inappropriately dressed "sluts" running wild yeah, comic conventions responsibilities to make guidelines and enforce them, if people wish to create an awareness platform if the comic cons aren't upholding their guidelines that would be cool too. As you know, awareness platforms aren't always just for the offender, I am sure that if the comic conventions policies and guidelines awareness platform did a good job, you'd still get these crazy "sluts" in Shuma Gorath and Galactus mini skirts with matching thongs, or, or, or oh my a skirt so low you can tell is wearing no underwear, how utterly scandalous. I bet those crazy scandalous sluts will still up, but probably worth noting the obvious, awareness campaigns aren't always just for the direct offenders. Sometimes its more about raising awareness in general especially since a lot of people fall into the grey majority. Which means friends, family, partners, associative's of the person who needs to know. Even strangers, who may be empowered to speak up when they see something wrong happening. Especially as far as things like gender because maybe not as far as cosplay, but bigger and wider issues we know factually that a rape and sexual abuse apologists attitude exists. A lot of people still think that men don't get raped, and not just my unsubstantiated opinion, we know through lots of ways that many people still think that, and as it happens I know people that do too, oh and some think that men get raped, but they believe that men enjoy it and want it wink smiley here - its not until they realize they are in a minority and in the company of idiots that they reflect on things deeper and realize. Sometimes its just a matter of some not taking it seriously enough, or just explain it away - "oh my friend Kelly? Yeah she likes to dress up inappropriately as a sexy version of various Disney Princesses to go to cosplay conventions she willingly knows won't allow her in because her outfit is against the law, but hey, thats just Kelly" but no, friends don't let friends get arrested or kicked out of functions or exhibit self destructive behavior. I mean if you want to I suppose the same could be said about friends and awareness about people who invade others personal space to grope and rub, but I wouldn't want to randomly start talking about as a way to incessantly mark my presence here. Oh and hey you might get groped at a comic con. Please pass that message along to all the people you know, especially the ones who have already been the victims of untoward sexual advances, assault, and so forth. Nothing like reminding them their are risks out there over, and over, and over again. Screw having the energy to tell people to stop groping, lets waste it all reminding people of risks, and that the sun will rise, and stuff about fornicating with trees. Oh and hey remember there is a risk and that you might get groped.

#462 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it wrong for me to point out that the two cosplayers in the last pic are extremely attractive..... I just wanted to point that out because they are. Now I shall carry on with the rest of the night and keep studying.

#463 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no sympathy for people who dress like in the pictures and then complain when people touch them. They're just asking for attention and they know it.

Wow... Just wow.

#464 Posted by akbogert (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

Since evidently announcing one's participation or lack thereof (or clarifying someone else's participation or lack thereof?) is a thing here, I did want to officially say I am finished checking this thread. I phrased my position about as well as I could (and have had some engaging discussions beyond this thread) but at the end of the day, I have been told (though, to be fair, not directly) to "F--- off," shut up, and/or have had my perspective called illegitimate, shocking, saddening, ignorant, etc. by several people here. I've also (for reasons which continue to baffle me) managed to get one person to outright jump ship in pain. At this point I see absolutely no potential benefit in returning; furthermore, responses which tag me in connection to this thread will also be ignored. Have fun and try to be civil, folks.

*steps out and closes door softly, but firmly, behind him*

#465 Edited by Shawnbaby (10584 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Well...at least now I understand where you got those statistics from. It doesn't qualify under the legal definition of rape, though. I won't say those men haven't been victimized sexually but I would not say that it has anywhere near the same impact on their lives as what is legally defined as rape though.

#466 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

@turoksonofstone: I'm also kicking my soapbox.......

I don't think consent and respect are what people think of when they see girls dressed like the ones in the pictures. ( I know I don't)

You MUST be baiting.

#467 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, really? I had no idea.

#468 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawnbaby: if we're measuring this by impact on someone's life, would drugged rape be less of a crime because the victims don't have any bad memories?

also, I'm not sure if it's really that much better for these men, they still rn the risk of getting STD's, getting stuck in a situation where they eon't be able to tellanyone, and having someone get preagnant by their unconsious rape (when qa woman rapes a man and gets preagnant, she can legally make him pay child support, and he can do essentilly nothing to stop it)

@yung_ancient_one: I've never actually been to rave, so i' gonna go ahead and trust you, I would like to know where you are in school (like, grade and approximate locaion)

#469 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really have much to add except general support for the cause of not being sexually assaulted and then blamed for it. When a man is raped, nobody talks about what they were wearing.

#471 Posted by inferiorego (22568 posts) - - Show Bio

I say, flip the tables and cosplayers should start grabbing the butts of non-cosplay convention goers and yelling things like "I'd f*ck you," and just be overall creepy.

Start this at C2E2....

What I'm saying is that I'm giving you all consent to grab my butt, if I'm not cosplaying, at C2E2.

I have a feeling someone is going to do this to me now...

Staff Online
#472 Posted by Bogey (941 posts) - - Show Bio

I say, flip the tables and cosplayers should start grabbing the butts of non-cosplay convention goers and yelling things like "I'd f*ck you," and just be overall creepy.

Start this at C2E2....

What I'm saying is that I'm giving you all consent to grab my butt, if I'm not cosplaying, at C2E2.

I have a feeling someone is going to do this to me now...

That person should be wearing a Dr. Light costume.

#473 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio
#474 Edited by Vortex13 (12249 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawnbaby said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

I'm interested in you pointing out exactly what page it says women and men are raped equally. That...or to just admit you were lying about rape statistics to win an argument on the internet.

Men are actually penetrative raped about the same amount as women in this country, and it is because of prison. Of course most people write off that as not being despicable because of this belief that if you are in prison you deserve to be raped. What people don't realize is it's usually not the hardened criminals and murderers that get raped it's usually young people that are in there for lesser non-violent crimes like selling drugs on a low scale to friends without being associated to any gang or simply just using drugs and stuff like that. Nobody deserves to be sexually assaulted of course. Regardless of what they wear, how they act, or where they are.

@inferiorego:Well if I was going too C2E2 I probably would since you gave consent, of course I'd double check at the convention to make sure you hadn't changed your mind.

As I side note, you shouldn't really go up to people at a con and ask that of someone, because that is equally creepy lol.

#475 Edited by God_Spawn (37568 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Since you offered and considering I don't live too far off from C2E2, I should revive my Bane costume, follow you around, tap you on the shoulder, and tell you I'm your reckoning.

#476 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I'm not sure if that's really the same thing.

I mean, if peopel were in the room with you they could see your dark hair, but if they weren't it ould kind of be expected for you to prove it some otehr way.

I'm not sure what's going on that you consider so self-evident

@fodigg: yeah, but men who nget raped are blamed for entirely different reasons (most of the time)

#477 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: yeah, but men who nget raped are blamed for entirely different reasons (most of the time)

But that doesn't make this acceptable. All victim-blaming is bad.

#478 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: rapists are responsible for rape, I'm not going to argue against that

#479 Posted by olbassey (59 posts) - - Show Bio

here's a fun fact. the powers that be are exploring the concept of allowing a woman to revoke consent the morning following a consensual hookup. kind of puts a little more pressure on the fellas to perform in the sack eh

#480 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Entertaining thread.

#481 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@olbassey: waaaaaah?!!?! I'm gonna need a source to beleive that one

#482 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

... well now. This thread... yeah, this thread has gone places.

#483 Edited by 4donkeyjohnson (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Look but don't touch, it's really quite simple. Similar principle applies in art galleries and show rooms around the world. You can get a photo next to Michaelangelo's 'David' but you can't touch it! If you do, you get frog marched off the premises and potential charges will get brought your way, same as if you touch someone dressed up as a superhero at a convention!

#484 Posted by EMH_Bruce (739 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if I should write this here, but today I remembered something that shocked the whole german cosplay scene.

Because I don't want to unsettle people with a weak stomache, I'll put it under a spoiler.

In November 2011, the 23 year old Jonathan H. was murdered. Someone cut him into pieces and threw those into the Elster (a river near Leipzig). The police found most of him, except for his head, which stays lost till now.

When the police started to identify the victim, they found out that he was a member of the german Manga and Anime site Animexx.de. When the scandal sheet BILD (I refuse to call that a Newspaper) got wind of that, they saw their chance to exploit the fact that he was an Anime & Manga Fan.

They wrote that he:

• had lost his sense of reality because of Manga & Anime
  • were a loner who rarely left his house
  • were a cosplayer and painted his nails black
  • were homosexual and had a changing series of men who went in and out in his house

to back those facts up, BILD showed a picture of him in a cosplay dress with angel wings.

the Article in the scandal sheet BILD

Which isn't true. A friend of him, Nicole B. wrote an open Letter and denied that Jonathan was a cosplayer, he wasn't either a loner nor homosexual, like BILD wanted to make everyone to believe.

The picture BILD used to make him look bad, was unrightful taken from the Animexx community. BILD also cut the picture which shows Jonathan standing before a poster.

the original picture

This picture was made for fun, he only wore that dress on a single occasion and never again, but BILD made Jonathan into a homosexual transvestite just for the attention. Which they would get if the victim himself wasn't normal, or better yet was hanging with the wrong crowd.

sorry that those links are all in german, but I don't think there's an english site about that case.

#485 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#486 Edited by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

Men are actually penetrative raped about the same amount as women in this country, and it is because of prison. Of course most people write off that as not being despicable because of this belief that if you are in prison you deserve to be raped. What people don't realize is it's usually not the hardened criminals and murderers that get raped it's usually young people that are in there for lesser non-violent crimes like selling drugs on a low scale to friends without being associated to any gang or simply just using drugs and stuff like that. Nobody deserves to be sexually assaulted of course. Regardless of what they wear, how they act, or where they are.

In order for men to be equally raped as women -- there would have to have a heck of a lot more men in prison. I think you mean men are are equally raped in prison as women are raped in prison (I completely agree with this and I think it's disgusting how accepted this is under the idea it's part of the punishment of being in jail) If not, please correct me -- I don't like misunderstanding things worse than I do being ignorant.

The discussion about men being sexually abused is an important one (I have a lot to say about that -- especially in media) As it stands now, a conversation about it running in parallel with cosplay enthusiasts finding themselves sexually harassed is a bit unfair as there can be no argument as to which of the two is more horrific.

@olbassey said:

here's a fun fact. the powers that be are exploring the concept of allowing a woman to revoke consent the morning following a consensual hookup. kind of puts a little more pressure on the fellas to perform in the sack eh

O_O.

Please give more information. I suspect the word "consensual" is being improperly used - same as the word "revoke". Taken what you say at face vale? It could never happen. The idea (even if you are joking) that a woman would consider pressing rape charges because she has a luck lustre sexual experience is part of the problem when it comes to victim blaming.)

@emh_bruce:

That is sickening. Good for those pointing out the truth. That poor man. :/

#487 Posted by Vortex13 (12249 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: There are statistically much fewer women in prison in the US, the most recent study that I can find says that there are over two and a half million men incarcerated in prison at this point. To put that number into perspective it is higher then the entire state population of New Mexico which is ranked at thirty-six on the total population, which means that there are another fourteen states with a smaller population then the total amount of men incarcerated in prison at this moment. Women are raped more outside of prison most definitely. One out of ten rape victims are men. What my point about rape in prison was was that in the specific male prison population compared the rate of rape in the entire US population is the same as it is for women. Which would be around the extremely disturbingly high percentage of 25% to 26%. Which means women have a one in four chance of being sexually assaulted or raped in there lifetime. Also 93.7% of men raped are raped by men, the rest are raped by women, and a lot of people believe being a man raped by a woman doesn't count, which is supremely f##ked up.

It's because of this preconceived notion that a man would do anything to get laid and enjoy sex regardless of the circumstance, the real problem with this mindset is a lot of men believe this notion as well which just perpetuates the idea of men being raped by women as comical. Hell even male on male rape in prison is approached humorously. Think about it, you will often see comedy's with men being raped by women and it is shown to be funny, Wedding Crashers. There is an exorbitantly high number of prison comedy's with men being raped. Big Stan, Let's Go To Prison, The Ten (which honestly is a film I enjoy for the most part), and the list goes on. Whereas you are most likely not going to find many films with women being raped portrayed comically, and you shouldn't. Now granted, they are comedy's and approached right deliver some amusement, I personally believe if one type of offensive material can be allowed to be funny than the rest are fair game as well, even if they are not funny to you. The only problem is when people see something offensive portrayed comically it is then thought that it is comical in real life which it isn't. Comedy is not reality and should not be believed as such.

#488 Edited by EMH_Bruce (739 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: They found a suspect, Benjamin H. but I don't know if he was found guilty or not, the articles I found about this case end before the conviction. But from what I've read he's most likely the murderer.

@lykopis: Yeah :/ BILD is really terrible, BILD is like...for lack of a better comparison....BILD is like J. Jonah Jameson. <__<

#489 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

@lykopis: There are statistically much fewer women in prison in the US, the most recent study that I can find says that there are over two and a half million men incarcerated in prison at this point. To put that number into perspective it is higher then the entire state population of New Mexico which is ranked at thirty-six on the total population, which means that there are another fourteen states with a smaller population then the total amount of men incarcerated in prison at this moment. Women are raped more outside of prison most definitely. One out of ten rape victims are men. What my point about rape in prison was was that in the specific male prison population compared the rate of rape in the entire US population is the same as it is for women. Which would be around the extremely disturbingly high percentage of 25% to 26%. Which means women have a one in four chance of being sexually assaulted or raped in there lifetime. Also 93.7% of men raped are raped by men, the rest are raped by women, and a lot of people believe being a man raped by a woman doesn't count, which is supremely f##ked up.

It's because of this preconceived notion that a man would do anything to get laid and enjoy sex regardless of the circumstance, the real problem with this mindset is a lot of men believe this notion as well which just perpetuates the idea of men being raped by women as comical. Hell even male on male rape in prison is approached humorously. Think about it, you will often see comedy's with men being raped by women and it is shown to be funny, Wedding Crashers. There is an exorbitantly high number of prison comedy's with men being raped. Big Stan, Let's Go To Prison, The Ten (which honestly is a film I enjoy for the most part), and the list goes on. Whereas you are most likely not going to find many films with women being raped portrayed comically, and you shouldn't. Now granted, they are comedy's and approached right deliver some amusement, I personally believe if one type of offensive material can be allowed to be funny than the rest are fair game as well, even if they are not funny to you. The only problem is when people see something offensive portrayed comically it is then thought that it is comical in real life which it isn't. Comedy is not reality and should not be believed as such.

Oh wow -- I have to say, that is eye-opening And disheartening. Not to get expansive here as I know you are aware it's complicated but when it comes to rape, there are so many behaviours dealt them by society, that I am surprised there are any statistics at all. Just telling a friend or family member, a man is more likely to be urged to not say anything (let alone outrightly made fun of) to the medical care practitioner (who will likely treat them as a liar or even worse -- just too embarrassed for them) to the police officer who again -- might not believe them or truly feel they are doing the victim a favour by discouraging them from filing a complaint because it will end up with their man-pride shot to the lawyer representing them who will go for a plea bargain (or convince the victim to drop the case altogether because the evidence provided for rape in terms of male rape is not equal to that of a woman's -- non-officially of course)...

Then there is the media. The lovely media who won't report the case as it's not "sexy" enough (yes, a real term used in the media). So much has to change -- so much. Just because one gender statistically has more violence of a sexual nature perpetrated against them, it doesn't preclude the pursuit of rectifying these sort of crimes against other -- more noise is needed so thanks for this information. I really appreciate it.

#490 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: are you still mad at me for bringing up the whole male/female rape thing?

#491 Posted by Vortex13 (12249 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: No problem. My sister actually used to volunteer at a place that took calls from rape victims. She said the one thing that the volunteers stressed the most was that the victim should contact the authorities and report it, most don't unfortunately. I agree though, more people need to realize these things happen in real world circumstances.

#492 Posted by Nightwing4 (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody should have to deal with harassment, but if it bothers them that much they should dress more modestly. They're fighting against human nature here.

#493 Posted by judasnixon (6403 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.......

#494 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have to question yourself if you might get harrassed a little (or a lot) more likely because of the way your dressing, you probably should have someone around (you know of course). People give in to their desires too easily, especially when there's an extra opportunity given to them on a silver plate. There are a lot of those weak minded people sadly.

If you know it's gonna happen and if you go to the con dressed like that, then it is partially your fault. Naturally it shouldn't have to be that way (that someone would dare get physical in the first place).

#495 Posted by Catsnlynne (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

Not this again. If you're going to dress like a whore/slut/bimbo. Don't act all offended if someone makes a rude remark to you.

#496 Posted by egalitarian (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The "1 in 71 men have been raped" stat from the CDC survey doesn’t tell the whole story. It defines "rape" as the attacker penetrating the victim, which excludes women who use their vagina to rape a man (rape by envelopment) which is counted as “made to penetrate”. The very same survey says “1 in 21 men (4.8%) reported that they were made to penetrate someone else,” which is far more than 1 in 71. Also, the study says that 79.2% of male victims of “made to penetrate” reported only female perpetrators, meaning they were raped by a woman.

The above, lifetime stats do show a lower percentage of male victims (up to 1.4% rape by penetration + 4.8% made to penetrate = 6.2%) than female victims (18.3%) although it is far more than the 1 in 71 you stated. However, if you look at the report’s stats for the past 12 months, just as many number of men were “forced to penetrate” as women were raped, meaning that if you properly include “made to penetrate” in the definition of rape, men were raped as often as women.

#497 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Some very worrying views on here, I can only talk from my experience at comic conventions in the UK as well as steam punk days and the like, people tend to be friendly and I've never seen anyone harass anyone else, I fact give the tattooed bikers that tend to go to the later I am amazed how many misconceptions float about. I guess in the UK people are generally nice anyway when not drunk as a newt, only geeks tend to go to conventions and normally more in the hope they see Simon Pegg then scantily clad fan girls. So maybe the real issue is why are perverts going to conventions in America? There should be better security and harsher punishments if it is happening.

On the downside however I think drunken sexual abuse is bad in the UK and street crime is on the rise, so as some people have said, whatever your gender, make sure you travel in groups and use main roads, avoid unlit alleys and crossing or walking near large fields or woodland. I find at University cities most people are polite about fancy dress and I enjoyed many superhero or Anime events without seeing any issues, but then I stuck to the Union bars, maybe the other answer is if your going out after or traveling to and from an event, get changed or cover up...

But most of all make sure you report anything that happens. Most of the crap people do is because they think they will always get away with it, recently a woman in the UK was raped and when it went to court it turned out the rapist had done so numerous times before but the victims had not reported it. If you are one of the 80% of people who are abused and does not report it, then you may be condemning others to the same horrible fate. Sexual harassment is unacceptable and u excusable, if you can not control your urges go and get help, even seeing naked images shouldn't be turning you into a monster, learn somerespt for yourself and for others or at least learn some self control.

#498 Posted by VoodooPenguin (974 posts) - - Show Bio

It probably isn't smart to go out in public wearing some of the more skimpy costumes, but it's still wrong for them to be harassed.

#499 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@egalitarian: it's impossible to say, most reports say that only 20% of cases of sexual abuse are reported, I dare say this is even lower for sexually abused men. The Jimmy Savile case has increased this number a little but it's still a mostly hidden area of crime. In the end it's embarrassing and the offender will never get a punishment that reflects the crime, which in my mind is worse then any other.

#500 Posted by RogueShadow (10236 posts) - - Show Bio