Yelling at my Comics: Worlds' Finest Rant

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think this quote from Tyra Banks on an episode of America's Next Top Model sums up my feeling on DC's Worlds' Finest:

"Be quiet Tiffany, be quiet. What is wrong with you? Stop it! I have never in my life yelled at a girl like this! When my mother yells like this, it's because she loves me. I was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you! How dare you! Learn something from this. When you go to bed at night, you lay there and take responsibility for yourself, cause nobodies gonna take responsibility for you! You rollin' your eyes, and actin' like this because you've heard it all before. You've heard it all before, you don't know where the hell I come from! You have no idea what I've been through! But I'm not a victim, I grew from it, and I learn! Take responsibility for yourself!"

You get the idea. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in the book. So much so, I dropped it a few issues ago. I'm tempted to pick it up again to see Helena's interaction with Damian, but I keep having these Tyra moments when I think about the series so far. Power Girl's disappearing wardrobe issues aside, the writing is weak compared to Earth 2, or Batgirl, or any of the other Bat-books.

I don't want the series to be canceled. The concept behind the book is brilliant. Both Helena and Peej have a fan base, and if the book were just better written that fan base could grow. I want to support female driven comics with my money, but I can't if that book is just all around bad. At this point though, I think the only way to save it would be to put Bryan Q. Miller or Gail Simone on it. Both writers have had critical success with female driven books. Bryan's scenes with Steph and Kara were some of the most compelling of his Batgirl series, so I know he could handle Power Girl and Huntress with the right amount of comedy, compassion, and lesbian subtext that these two characters deserve.

But if the inevitable does happen, and Tyra's standing there with one picture left in her hang and an angry smize on her face, I hope she says what we were ALL thinking from the first issue. "I was rooting for you, WORLDS' FINEST! We were all rooting for you! How dare you! Take responsibility for yourself!"

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By RedQueen

Pretty much my feelings on the book. I even did my own mini rant about it....

Avatar image for jacksonvillewriter
jacksonvillewriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@RedQueen: I do think this book has the "fun" factor that you mentioned in your review. I appreciate that when books like Teen Titans are reenacting the Hunger Games in their first arc. I'm hoping for a creative team change soon, so I can come back to the book.