Edited 9 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Xmen First Class vs Amazing Spiderman (41 votes)

First Class 71%
Amazing Spiderman 29%

Which origin story was better? I say First Class. What do you think?

#1 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class would have been a better movie if X3 never happened. The amount of things the two contradict each other on is ridiculous. Its not a bad movie, it just isn't great either.

X-Men probably should be rebooted.

Anyway. I vote TASM. Best Spiderman movie to date.

#2 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5893 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I accidently marked multiple answers. Si choose only one.

#3 Posted by batmannflash (6190 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class

#4 Posted by MonsterStomp (15989 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked The Amazing Spider-Man more. Just had more emotion and was something I could relate to. Though, First Class was enjoyable no doubt.

#5 Posted by cameron83 (6659 posts) - - Show Bio

I think ASM imo

#6 Edited by RustyRoy (10974 posts) - - Show Bio

FC I guess.

#7 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at my Avatar/Icon.

I voted for First Class.

-ABstract4$$#073-

#8 Edited by madcapmax (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Only reason I am voting for Amazing Spider-man is because 1. I am a huge spidey fan, and 2. It has set the table for a lot of awesome movies to come (Sinister 6, Venom, Carnage, etc.). I agree with the above poster that First Class contradicted a lot of stuff in the previous movies, and I think they should have simply rebooted the entire series using that as a starting point, as opposed to lumping it back into the same universe as the other three movies. The only reason I think they did this, seriously, is because the popularity of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine... and the continued opportunity to keep using him.

#9 Posted by DareHulk (216 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class was way better, thats not to say ASM was bad it just lacked some things that would've made it a great Spidey movie. While First Class had almost everything you need for a great X-Men movie.

In fact, I'd say it's not even close.

#10 Posted by War Killer (19983 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually enjoyed X-Men: First Class more, I'd watch it just for Xavier and Magneto. ASM, while it had the right cast and tone, the actually storyline just didn't wow me like I expected.

#11 Posted by TheCannon (17910 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were awful. I voted First Class simply because I liked Magneto in the film.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (29589 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't like the origins for either. That said, First Class was a better done movie.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM easily. Those kids in FC were useless and boring. And Shaw's plan was ridiculous.

#14 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3875 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man because it was a bit more accurate. X-Men First Class did have a better story though

#15 Edited by RogueShadow (9963 posts) - - Show Bio

This really comes down to Jennifer Lawrence vs Emma Stone for me.

#16 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class. Amazing Spider-man wasn't bad though.

#17 Posted by JwwProd (8667 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class was easily the better movie if you ask me.

Not saying the Amazing Spider-Man was bad mind you.

#18 Posted by Bruxae (12610 posts) - - Show Bio

Both of them were pretty bad actually, but X-men less so.

#19 Posted by SoA (4695 posts) - - Show Bio

i like spider-man more, but in question of origin the first class was a new idea (havok,darwin, mystique,and banshee on the same team??? how?!!) and was not done to death like spider-man (or supes and batman lol)

#20 Posted by gor724 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

I probably would have liked ASM better if it was original, and the villain had a semi decent plan. (Come on, Lizard people?) he's plan would have failed anyway. The lizard serum only works for a limited amount of time. X-Men first class on the other hand was very fresh, good story, semi decent villain plan. One of my favorite Marvel movies.

#21 Posted by gor724 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM easily. Those kids in FC were useless and boring. And Shaw's plan was ridiculous.

And the Lizards wasn't? His plan was to turn everyone into Lizard people, for like one f*cking hour too. The serum only worked for a small amount of time. And who puts their evil plan on loop just so Spiderman would know what it is?

#22 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM was better. Better villain, better story, better action, of course it had the iconic Spider Man in it with The Lizard, a villain I always wanted to see on the big screen. And really... mutants are boring... especially in movies.

#23 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Didn't like the origins for either. That said, First Class was a better done movie.

C'mon man, it was a comic book movie. The villains plan is always ridiculous, and when its being compared to a dude trying to turn New York City into lizard people, it isn't all that bad. The villains are always trying to blow up or rule the world or trying to unleash gas or something nefariously simple.

In fact, Shaw was just trying to manipulate the Cuban Missile Crisis into another World War, which apparently, according to political climates, intensity, and general paranoia of the time, was very possible. First Class really did touch on the atmosphere and problems of the 1960s a lot whether it was very obvious or subtle. It was actually a pretty intelligently made movie.

If you want to talk ridiculous, villainous plans, look at the Captain America movie, Red Skull wanted to blow up major US cities, you know, just because he is evil, and had all the bombs......labeled, lol, and labeled in english none the less.

#24 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

First Class

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

McAvoy and Fassbender carried the entire film by themselves. I cared very little for the rest of the cast, even though I tried. With the exception of perhaps Connors, I enjoyed the vast majority of the ASM cast and the plot was more streamlined in my opinion.

#26 Posted by Pr0metheus (4947 posts) - - Show Bio

This really comes down to Jennifer Lawrence vs Emma Stone for me.

Emma Stone wins!

#27 Posted by JediXMan (29589 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

C'mon man, it was a comic book movie. The villains plan is always ridiculous, and when its being compared to a dude trying to turn New York City into lizard people, it isn't all that bad. The villains are always trying to blow up or rule the world or trying to unleash gas or something nefariously simple.

In fact, Shaw was just trying to manipulate the Cuban Missile Crisis into another World War, which apparently, according to political climates, intensity, and general paranoia of the time, was very possible. First Class really did touch on the atmosphere and problems of the 1960s a lot whether it was very obvious or subtle. It was actually a pretty intelligently made movie.

If you want to talk ridiculous, villainous plans, look at the Captain America movie, Red Skull wanted to blow up major US cities, you know, just because he is evil, and had all the bombs......labeled, lol, and labeled in english none the less.

... when did I say anything about the villain's plan? I liked Shaw in that movie. The problem I had was the X-Men origins; those characters shouldn't have been together (really? Banshee and Havok?)

#28 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@emequious_swerve said:

@jedixman said:

... when did I say anything about the villain's plan? I liked Shaw in that movie. The problem I had was the X-Men origins; those characters shouldn't have been together (really? Banshee and Havok?)

I quoted the wrong person. I apologize. I am dumb. :)

#29 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Posted by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

I'm not saying other superhero movies don't have ridiculous plans, I'm saying, that people put First Class on such a high pedistal when it has plenty of flaws just like all movies. Shaw's plan, if I understood it correctly, was to turn the two largest superpowers at the time against one another, to trigger a world war, and destroy all the humans so mutants can be the dominant species...but what's stopping the mutants from being wiped out in this war too? I don't care what your powers are, unless your Roach-Lad, you're not surviving a nuclear holocaust.

Lizard's plan was to eliminate the ''weakness'' of humanity from people by triggering the ''next stage'' of evolution and making them all lizards, kind of like what Magneto wanted to do in the first X-Men film by making all of New York mutants. It's farfetched, yeah, but it least it's better than "Let's kill everyone via WWIII"

#31 Posted by AmazingAngel (4055 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh I voted first class, ASM felt like a bit of a corporate cash grab, streamlined/stripped out story and too much recycled material, we don't need another origin story, we all know who spiderman is even if his uncle is Martin Sheen.

Emma stone was one of the only good things in that movie and she's already getting her bucket kicked next movie.

#32 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

@gor724 said:

@the_stegman said:

And the Lizards wasn't? His plan was to turn everyone into Lizard people, for like one f*cking hour too. The serum only worked for a small amount of time. And who puts their evil plan on loop just so Spiderman would know what it is?

Someone clearly wasn't paying attention to the movie. Did you not watch the part where he was experimenting down in his lab with the formula? Increasing the dosages to prolong the transformation. His final transformation he never reverts back until he is hit with the cure.

Derp.

#33 Edited by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh I voted first class, ASM felt like a bit of a corporate cash grab, streamlined/stripped out story and too much recycled material, we don't need another origin story, we all know who spiderman is even if his uncle is Martin Sheen.

Emma stone was one of the only good things in that movie and she's already getting her bucket kicked next movie.

That's kinda unfair. A director wanted to do a new take on an old character. That's like blaming Batman Begins or Man of Steel for being "unnecessary reboots" everyone knows who Batman and Superman are.

#34 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not saying other superhero movies don't have ridiculous plans, I'm saying, that people put First Class on such a high pedistal when it has plenty of flaws just like all movies. Shaw's plan, if I understood it correctly, was to turn the two largest superpowers at the time against one another, to trigger a world war, and destroy all the humans so mutants can be the dominant species...but what's stopping the mutants from being wiped out in this war too? I don't care what your powers are, unless your Roach-Lad, you're not surviving a nuclear holocaust.

Lizard's plan was to eliminate the ''weakness'' of humanity from people by triggering the ''next stage'' of evolution and making them all lizards, kind of like what Magneto wanted to do in the first X-Men film by making all of New York mutants. It's farfetched, yeah, but it least it's better than "Let's kill everyone via WWIII"

It wasn't that simple. It was more along the lines of utilizing the war to decimate those in control of the world so Shaw and the Inner Circle could establish themselves as rulers. There is nothing stopping mutants from being killed too, Shaw as willing to hurt other mutants if need be. It was like a survival of the fittest kind of thing as mutants, seeing as they have super powers would be better fit to survive the end times.

If you are familiar with X-Men lore, the villain Apocalypse pretty much has a similar MO

Still man, giant lizards....c'mon

#35 Posted by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

It wasn't that simple. It was more along the lines of utilizing the war to decimate those in control of the world so Shaw and the Inner Circle could establish themselves as rulers. There is nothing stopping mutants from being killed too, Shaw as willing to hurt other mutants if need be. It was like a survival of the fittest kind of thing as mutants, seeing as they have super powers would be better fit to survive the end times.

If you are familiar with X-Men lore, the villain Apocalypse pretty much has a similar MO

Still man, giant lizards....c'mon

But it still makes no sense, look at all of the mutants shown in the films. Besides maybe, MAYBE Wolverine, who else could survive a war that engulfs the world?? And I agree, the Lizard plan was foolish, just as foolish, but I think Shaw was just as delusional in his goals as Lizard was in his.

#36 Posted by AmazingAngel (4055 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I didn't mind them rebooting the franchise at all, I loved Batman Begins because it presented old meaterial in a new way, did something the other movies didn't, ASM not so much, I have no problem with it being a reboot, I just have a problem with it being pretty much the same as the first Spiderman but with a few tweeks.

Anyway I didn't hate the movie at all, I think Webb did a great job with what he had and the boardroom of sony execs he probably had governing over him, it also disappointed me that their were so many arcs cut out of the movie for times sake, did you know that originally Doc Conners had a family he was hiding his Lizardness from but they and some other stuff was cut for times sake by the studio, it's Spiderman 3 all over again and it's the first one, I would have liked them to give webb more free reign.

Anyway I'm rambling, I would have liked them to pick up after he had been spiderman for a while IDK though, it just felt a bit samey to me, a lot less then Batman Begins.

#37 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

But it still makes no sense, look at all of the mutants shown in the films. Besides maybe, MAYBE Wolverine, who else could survive a war that engulfs the world?? And I agree, the Lizard plan was foolish, just as foolish, but I think Shaw was just as delusional in his goals as Lizard was in his.

Aren't you being a little to nitpicky?? I mean pretty much every "post apocalyptic" story ever written take place after some nuclear winter war and has thousands if not millions of survivors. Why is it so hard to imagine that there would be a lot of mutant and non mutant survivors?

In fact there has been lots of books written on what would have happened to the world if the Cuban Missile Crisis had launched a nuclear war and after the war there is still a good portion of the world walking around.

Shaws plan was to rule the after world. With mutants as the heirarchy

#38 Posted by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

Aren't you being a little to nitpicky?? I mean pretty much every "post apocalyptic" story ever written take place after some nuclear winter war and has thousands if not millions of survivors. Why is it so hard to imagine that there would be a lot of mutant and non mutant survivors?

In fact there has been lots of books written on what would have happened to the world if the Cuban Missile Crisis had launched a nuclear war and after the war there is still a good portion of the world walking around.

Shaws plan was to rule the after world. With mutants as the heirarchy

It's not a nit pick though, it's a serious flaw in his plan. Sure there will be mutant survivors, but mutants are already a minority, a war wiping out indiscriminately millions of lives won't spare just the mutants, if anything, it will reduce their numbers even more, they won't become the dominate species, they'll be close to X-tinction.

#39 Edited by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazingangel said:

@the_stegman: I didn't mind them rebooting the franchise at all, I loved Batman Begins because it presented old meaterial in a new way, did something the other movies didn't, ASM not so much, I have no problem with it being a reboot, I just have a problem with it being pretty much the same as the first Spiderman but with a few tweeks.

Anyway I didn't hate the movie at all, I think Webb did a great job with what he had and the boardroom of sony execs he probably had governing over him, it also disappointed me that their were so many arcs cut out of the movie for times sake, did you know that originally Doc Conners had a family he was hiding his Lizardness from but they and some other stuff was cut for times sake by the studio, it's Spiderman 3 all over again and it's the first one, I would have liked them to give webb more free reign.

Anyway I'm rambling, I would have liked them to pick up after he had been spiderman for a while IDK though, it just felt a bit samey to me, a lot less then Batman Begins.

Well, it is the beginning of a new franchise, I think we will see lots of new stuff, even in the first movie we have seen things that we haven't preciously seen, such as.

1. Peter Parker actually being smart, and inventing things like web shooters.

2. New villains, which will continue in future films.

3. An important Gwen Stacy and Captain Stacy

4. A FUNNY Spider-Man, as opposed to Tobey who was duller than dirt

5. No Mary Jane yet.

6. A more well developed Flash Thompson who I hope is used more in future films

7. A different take on Peter, making him not the typical "quiet, eats alone, wears glasses" nerd and more like a social outcast who likes skateboarding more than parties and booze.

Personally, I think ASM is superior to the entire Raimi trilogy.

#40 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I completely agree with you. And I'll add one more thing.

8. In all 3 Raimi Spiderman movies...Mary Jane gets captured by the bad guy and is used as bait to trap Spiderman. In TASM Gwen not only evades the Lizard, she fights back with a aerosal flamethrower and creates the serum Peter uses to counteract the Lizard serum.

#41 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a nit pick though, it's a serious flaw in his plan. Sure there will be mutant survivors, but mutants are already a minority, a war wiping out indiscriminately millions of lives won't spare just the mutants, if anything, it will reduce their numbers even more, they won't become the dominate species, they'll be close to X-tinction.

If they are still being born everyday they can't become extinct, and lots of them may have the ability to keep themselves safe during the attacks. The fact is there is no way of knowing their numbers or how many of them will survive. That's just over analyzing. I mean even if say...2 million die in every country the world still has a very large number of people in it.

I can't believe you are putting this much thought into this idea which isn't that farfetched from the usual comic book villain plan or plans of real governments then, yet, you are shrugging off the Lizards plan of turning other people into giant lizards as "eh, that's feasible", lol.

#42 Edited by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

If they are still being born everyday they can't become extinct, and lots of them may have the ability to keep themselves safe during the attacks. The fact is there is no way of knowing their numbers or how many of them will survive. That's just over analyzing. I mean even if say...2 million die in every country the world still has a very large number of people in it.

I can't believe you are putting this much thought into this idea which isn't that farfetched from the usual comic book villain plan or plans of real governments then, yet, you are shrugging off the Lizards plan of turning other people into giant lizards as "eh, that's feasible", lol.

Okay, here's the difference between The Lizard's plan and Shaw's plan.

Shaw:

Wants to start a war that will drastically diminish the human population so that the mutants will reign supreme with him as their leader. That is fine on paper, but really, unless he builds a giant underground fallout shelter and hides just mutants, many of his own kind will die in the war as well, no mutant can survive nuclear explosions. He wants to overthrow the world when the smoke clears, with what? An already small mutant population? (cause even if we DON'T know how many mutants exist, we know that they are a lot more humans alive..like, a whole lot)

Lizard:

He thinks that humans are obsolete, and wants to turn everyone into lizards which he believes is the next step in evolution. Okay, it's a wacky plan, but it has no real flaws besides being wacky.

#43 Posted by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I completely agree with you. And I'll add one more thing.

8. In all 3 Raimi Spiderman movies...Mary Jane gets captured by the bad guy and is used as bait to trap Spiderman. In TASM Gwen not only evades the Lizard, she fights back with a aerosal flamethrower and creates the serum Peter uses to counteract the Lizard serum.

That's kinda what I meant by an "important" Gwen Stacy, lol, she actually does things besides being kidnapped or needing to be rescued like "Gwen" in SM3.

#44 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's the difference between The Lizard's plan and Shaw's plan.

Shaw:

Wants to start a war that will drastically diminish the human population so that the mutants will reign supreme with him as their leader. That is fine on paper, but really, unless he builds a giant underground fallout shelter and hides just mutants, many of his own kind will die in the war as well, no mutant can survive nuclear explosions. He wants to overthrow the world when the smoke clears, with what? An already small mutant population? (cause even if we DON'T know how many mutants exist, we know that they are a lot more humans alive..like, a whole lot)

Lizard:

He thinks that humans are obsolete, and wants to turn everyone into lizards which he believes is the next step in evolution. Okay, it's a wacky plan, but it has no real flaws besides being wacky.

Many mutants have the ability to kill dozens of humans at once. Shaw and Emma Frost themselves could do it. I am sure they will have no problem asserting themselves as the rulers of a decimated world. Its not really that hard to imagine. There has been X-Men storylines where something like this happened...and many mutants survived.

Well, yeah. The Lizards plan makes sense. The initial reason as started the conversation as you shrugged at Shaws plan as ridiculous, when I don't really think its not anymore ridiculous than any other comic movie.

#45 Edited by The Stegman (23092 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: Eh, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, this argument could go on for ages, lol.

#46 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15193 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I have nothing against Bryce Dallas Howard...but I have have no idea what they were thinking with that portrayal of "Gwen"

#47 Posted by AmazingAngel (4055 posts) - - Show Bio
@amazingangel said:

Well, it is the beginning of a new franchise, I think we will see lots of new stuff, even in the first movie we have seen things that we haven't preciously seen, such as.

1. Peter Parker actually being smart, and inventing things like web shooters.

2. New villains, which will continue in future films.

3. An important Gwen Stacy and Captain Stacy

4. A FUNNY Spider-Man, as opposed to Tobey who was duller than dirt

5. No Mary Jane yet.

6. A more well developed Flash Thompson who I hope is used more in future films

7. A different take on Peter, making him not the typical "quiet, eats alone, wears glasses" nerd and more like a social outcast who likes skateboarding more than parties and booze.

Personally, I think ASM is superior to the entire Raimi trilogy.

I'll agree that it does throw some new stuff in the mix but I still would have preferred a completely new take, something that make it feel as new and exciting as Batman Begins, IDK maybe it's just me setting ridiculously high standards, I initially really liked the movie, I enjoyed the inclusion of captain stacy and gwen stacy and flash thompson but after I while the other stuff started to grate on me.

Anyway maybe I am being a bit unfair, it's not uncommon to start with an origin story (although I wish they wouldn't do them over and over and over again) and they were going for a pretty straightforward approach, I think it will break away from the last trilogy with the sinister six and whatnot.

Killing Emma Stone though is a bit too soon, she was one of the best parts of ASM and they've got like four movies to make the transition.

but in the end I probably won't like ASM 2 either cause I'll keep (unfairly) comparing it to Spiderman 2 one of my all time favourite superhero movies, seriously the scene where he has to save the little girl from the burning building without powers just kicks too much ass, anyway yeah.