X-Men First Class vs Watchmen

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

I don't know if this should be in the Off-topic or in this forum.. Anyway, I know it will be moved if I placed it in the wrong one.

Ok. This thread is a comparison of the two "Cold War" superhero films that were quite so similar yet quite so different as well.

1. Let's go with the obvious first. Which was the better movie? Which do you prefer?
2. Feel: Which had the more Cold War feel to it?
3. Cast: What team was portrayed better? What team was portrayed more faithfully?
4. Villain: Who was the more convincing antagonist? Who was the more evil? Who was the bigger threat?
5. "Unification" : Which "Let's-have-a-common-enemy-let's-not-fight" decision by US and Russia was more convincing?
6. Lastly, who is hotter? Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre or January Jones as Emma Frost?

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By texasdeathmatch

1. Definitely First Class. 
2. Eh, First Class again. Tricky Dick's nose totally looked like a penis.
3. Watchmen. Just because the movie copied the comic, frame for frame, line for line, with a few exceptions.
4. Kevin Bacon will always win any competition. Footloose man, Footloose
5. Obviously First Class. Since most of the group in Watchmen changed their mind when Ozy revealed his plan.
6. Emma Frost for sure, Akerman has a weird sized face.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
  1. Watchmen
  2. Watchmen
  3. Watchmen, though the two leads of FC were fantastic.
  4. Watchmen. Ozy wasn't evil, but he was a much bigger threat.
  5. First Class
  6. January Jones, though FC Mystique was hotter than both.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
  1. Watchmen
  2. Watchmen
  3. Watchmen, though the two leads of FC were fantastic.
  4. Watchmen
  5. First Class
  6. January Jones, though FC Mystique was hotter than both.
....This.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

First off these 2 movies were during 2 very different stages of that situation,

1. i prefer X-Men, because I'm a huge X-Men movie fan, and I hate Zack Snyder
2.Watchmen definitely had the immanent doom and paranoia that accompanied that point in time
3. Aside from Jackie Haleys Rorschach, the rest of the actors weren't anything special, Fassbender, Bacon, and Mcavoy were amazing in First Class
4.Shaw was the greater threat, he basically wanted a certain species to be dominant, where Ozymandius just wanted to end conflict, in a sick way, but still peace was the end game
5. Did the Russians and Americans team up in Watchmen?? I read the novel like 12years ago and saw the movie once when it came out...I don't remember
6. January...all year long

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Ugh, Watchmen is sooo overrated on this site. 

It's just scenes of dialogue, dialogue, and more dialogue with the occasional slow motion fight sequence.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
@texasdeathmatch said:
Ugh, Watchmen is sooo overrated on this site.   It's just scenes of dialogue, dialogue, and more dialogue with the occasional slow motion fight sequence.
Watchmen and Dark Knight beat people in the face with over ratedness

The slow motion prison fight sequence in Watchmen was honestly one of the corniest things I've seen in my life
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ssejllenrad

Here's my take.

1. I prefer X-Men but I think Watchmen was a better movie overall. 
2. I got to go with Watchmen
3. X-Men by a thin margin
4. Ozymandias for me. He outwitted a goddamn nigh omnipotent blue p*nis wielding guy.
5. Watchmen for me.
6. January... Though I believe Malin was hotter than FC Mystique. Just my opinion.

@cattlebattle: (5.)They didn't team up. Changed the OP.. Hehehe!

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@cattlebattle said:
@texasdeathmatch said:
Ugh, Watchmen is sooo overrated on this site.   It's just scenes of dialogue, dialogue, and more dialogue with the occasional slow motion fight sequence.
Watchmen and Dark Knight beat people in the face with over ratedness  The slow motion prison fight sequence in Watchmen was honestly one of the corniest things I've seen in my life
I know. And since they took lines STRAIGHT from the comic, they were so cheesy and dated. And that sex scene in Archimedes was so bad. 

I don't know about Dark Knight though. Them are fightin' words, sir.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Caligula

1. Watchmen (anyone who knows me, knows my obsession with Alan Moore, even though the comic is superior and Moore doesn't care for the film).

2. Neither. They were both extremely fictionized versions of it.

3. Watchmen, Jackie Earl Hayley and Patrick Wilson tore it up. (Plus the X-Men weren't even the originals).

4. X-Men First Class, wins by default because Ozymandias isn't really a villain. 

5. Watchmen, no contest.

6. Malin Akerman all day everyday.

seriously am I the only person, that thinks First Class sucked.
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Caligula said:

5. Watchmen, no contest.

Hah really? Watchmen had the better sense of unification? Last time I checked, they blew up their own team member...after joining with the main villain
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Caligula
@texasdeathmatch said:
@Caligula said:

5. Watchmen, no contest.

Hah really? Watchmen had the better sense of unification? Last time I checked, they blew up their own team member...
he said unification between the US in Russia in the face of a greater threat. not the team. if it was the team I would agree. but he said US and Russia
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Caligula said:
@texasdeathmatch said:
@Caligula said:

5. Watchmen, no contest.

Hah really? Watchmen had the better sense of unification? Last time I checked, they blew up their own team member...
he said unification between the US in Russia in the face of a greater threat. not the team. if it was the team I would agree. but he said US and Russia
Oh, that makes more sense. I guess that goes to Watchmen then....
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Caligula said:

1. Watchmen (anyone who knows me, knows my obsession with Alan Moore, even though the comic is superior and Moore doesn't care for the film).

3. Watchmen, Jackie Earl Hayley and Patrick Wilson tore it up. (Plus the X-Men weren't even the originals).

4. X-Men First Class, wins by default because Ozymandias isn't really a villain. 

5. Watchmen, no contest.

6. Malin Akerman all day everyday.   seriously am I the only person, that thinks First Class sucked.
No, First Class is very overrated. It's a pretty good movie, but that's it. Nothing amazing.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Lance Uppercut

Malin Akerman, about the only one I care about out of the two.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Caligula
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@Caligula said:

5. Watchmen, no contest.

6. Malin Akerman all day everyday.   seriously am I the only person, that thinks First Class sucked.
No, First Class is very overrated. It's a pretty good movie, but that's it. Nothing amazing.
I actually prefer any of the previous X-Men films, (excluding Wolverine Origins) over First Class. And those movies weren't all that great.

I mean with movies like Iron Man and Batman raising the bar, we are still getting half assed films like XMFC and GL.
armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By armylife1124

1. Let's go with the obvious first. Which was the better movie? Which do you prefer? X-Men
2. Feel: Which had the more Cold War feel to it? Neither but Watchmen offers a better portrayal of a cold war type scenario
3. Cast: What team was portrayed better? What team was portrayed more faithfully? Watchmen
4. Villain: Who was the more convincing antagonist? Who was the more evil? Who was the bigger threat? X-Men, Magneto was awesome, coin through the head...ouch
5. "Unification" : Which "Let's-have-a-common-enemy-let's-not-fight" decision by US and Russia was more convincing? Watchmen i guess
6. Lastly, who is hotter? Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre or January Jones as Emma Frost?Still not feeling Jan Jones as Emma so Spectre on this one!

I was surprised pleasantly by X-Men, but Watchmen I walked out of the theater underwhelmed, maybe because I do not know the souce never having read the Watchmen comic?  Is X-Men on the same level as Iron Man and Batman..NO, but I think X-Men was not too far behind, I watched the movie with three people who do not know or like comics and they thought the movie was pretty cool, which is what was great about Batman and Iron Man

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad

I feel that Watchmen reaction is quite polarized.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By armylife1124
@Justin_Credible said:
@ssejllenrad: It's one of two movies I've ever in my life fallen asleep trying to watch. Second movie being Castaway.
Castaway was better, Wilson did a better job as a character than most of the "Watchmen," such a sad loss when he was gone!!
Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Rudyftw
@texasdeathmatch said:
.......Is that a bad thing?
Avatar image for curbsideprophet
CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CurbsideProphet
@texasdeathmatch said:
1. Definitely First Class. 
2. Eh, First Class again. Tricky Dick's nose totally looked like a penis.
3. Watchmen. Just because the movie copied the comic, frame for frame, line for line, with a few exceptions.
4. Kevin Bacon will always win any competition. Footloose man, Footloose.  5. Obviously First Class. Since most of the group in Watchmen changed their mind when Ozy revealed his plan. 6. Emma Frost for sure, Akerman has a weird sized face.

This. First Class was better because Kevin Bacon, Mike Frassabass, and during the short moments when I wasn't complaining, it was pretty funny. Plus they had a Wolverine cameo, which made the movie for me. Best part, In My Opinion.

Also I noticed partway through Watchmen that I didn't really care much at all for the characters, except Rorschach cause he was funny. Then I didn't like the end.

SuperEvilDOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By SuperEvilDOOM

1) First Class. I do think as a film, Watchmen was vastly underrated though. 
2) Watchmen. 
3) Watchmen. 
4) First Class. Kevin Bacon did a very impressive job and it really gave you a sense that the team needed to come together to handle the issue. 
5) First Class. 
6) Emma Frost.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Kairan1979

1. Let's go with the obvious first. Which was the better movie? Which do you prefer? 
Watchmen.
Watchmen.
3. Cast: What team was portrayed better? What team was portrayed more faithfully? 
Watchmen (especially Rorschach and Comedian).X-Men from First Class weren't faithful to the original team at all.
4. Villain: Who was the more convincing antagonist? Who was the more evil? Who was the bigger threat? 
Sebastian Shaw.
5. "Unification" : Which "Let's-have-a-common-enemy-let's-not-fight" decision by US and Russia was more convincing? 
Watchmen. Omnipotent "God" who already won a war in three days and "destroyed" several cities is more convincing as a common enemy than a bunch of "freaks".
6. Lastly, who is hotter? Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre or January Jones as Emma Frost? 
January Jones.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Rudyftw said:
@texasdeathmatch said:
.......Is that a bad thing?
Haha uh, apparently not for some people. I passed out when I first saw it.
bob_rossetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bob_rossetto

I just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about after Watchmen or the rumored project x-men vs watchmen that is suppose to take place in modern day before 911.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- First Class but it´s close, I need to rewatch Watchmen

-Watchmen from what I remember

. Tough one, almost all the Watchmen were amazing, but Fassbender, and McAcoy were spot on too

So Watchmen again by a thin margin because the rest of X Men were average

5.. Villain: Who was the more convincing antagonist? Who was the more evil? Who was the bigger threat

Ozymandias was a biggest threat and did more damage at the end of the film

- First Class , and it was done quite well

. I admit Jones is hotter, but I have something with Malin with that haircut , so Malin

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

1. First Class

2. First Class

3. Watchmen

4. Sebastian Shaw

5. First Class