• 100 results
#51 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: That's funny you feel that way about Frank. I think I feel the opposite. I really enjoyed TDKR but couldn't care less for Born Again. It's interesting how everyone feels differently about certain books.

#52 Posted by Wolverine08 (26301 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I do like Frank Millar, but he just sometimes gratuitously overdoes his gritty style in his books. When he finds balance he's one of comics best writers.

#53 Posted by cbishop (6301 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to dislike any writer, but I have to confess that I think Mark Millar is a blight on comics. I think he uses profanity for profanity's sake, just because "It's creator owned, I can do whatever I want." He is blatantly narcissistic - he thinks Superior was some grand evolution of "the Superman archetype."

Far more often than not, his creator owned, twisted takes on Big Two characters are making fun of those characters, and by association, making fun of fans who like those characters. I think it's sick and twisted to be self-publishing derivative characters, and at the same time deriding the two companies that made the rest of comics possible. There is no industry without Marvel & DC. You don't have to agree with everything they do (and I definitely don't) but show them some respect for giving you a love of comics in the first place.

I don't hate that he has gotten his titles into other media (movies, mainly) because face it, everyone's out to make a buck. I can't be mad at him for that. I do hate that it means his crud is spread to a wider audience. I have found very few of his projects to even be worth checking out. Wanted bore no resemblance to the movie it spawned, beyond title and main character. Kick-Ass shouldn't exist on paper, much less onscreen. Nemesis just seemed like shock tactics - Madonna type antics. Superior was both a perversion of Shazam/Captain Marvel, and an insult to everything a "Superman archetype" is supposed to stand for.

All that said, I don't completely write Mark Millar off. I think Nemesis and Superior were both good ideas that were badly executed. Wanted (the comic) was dark, but complaints about its aspersions on Big Two characters aside, how the main character dealt with those characters was interesting. Kick-Ass was absolute, juvenile tripe, but it pursued the answer to the question of superheroes in the real world that many fans have longed to see. I think the result was crud, but kudos for trying.

And now there's Jupiter's Legacy. I saw Millar's name attached to it, and instantly wrote it off, but decided to give it a try after the CV review of the first issue. I had a hard time tracking down that sold out issue, but came across a sketch variant for cover price. Two issues in... it isn't terrible. It could tip either way, but I'm very cautiously optimistic about this one. Like I said, I don't like to dislike any writer, so I'm hoping this one rises above his previous efforts.

#54 Edited by wolverine1610 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@moonchilde: lol yeah his run on x-men wasnt perfect. some things too i found ridiculous. i never read all star superman though, its on my to do list :P

#55 Edited by frogdog (2984 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh and you guys do know that Scott Lobdell has an account here? lol

So does Dan Slott

#56 Posted by Akindoodle (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: Thank you. I'm not even sure how I came up with it, but it's like Master and Protege except it's not. I'm not making sense anymore (and I'm not getting notifications on these forums either. Anyone else haveing that problem?)

@themanintheshoe: For a superstar writer, his JL is pretty mediocre

#57 Posted by Gambit474 (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Williams..I don't know how this guy did an ok to good job on the Ghost rider shadowland one shot yet goes around and pretty much turns GR into a joke in his last series. He gave us one of the worst Ghost Riders of all time..Alejandra. Oh and for those who don't like Dan Slott..I post on the Marvel forums and he's over there defending his product and getting smart without anyone who doesn't like it. You can find him in the spider-man section if you want to converse with him and yes it is the real Dan Slott because it was even confirmed by a Marvel mod

#58 Posted by Veshark (8502 posts) - - Show Bio

James Robinson...I know the guy gets much love for Starman, but his Action Comics and Earth 2 work is just plain uncomfortable to read. Long, wordy, generic....just pits of boredom. Also, Bendis. The only two things I've ever read from Bendis and tolerated are USM and Dark Avengers. Everything else is just insufferable. I know the man's DD and creator-owned stuff is supposedly great, but his Avengers work is atrocious. He has all these annoying writing ticks that just go full-chaos when he's writing stuff he doesn't care about.

#59 Posted by Night Thrasher (3447 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: Dude, Slott's MIghty Avengers was much better than Bendis IMO. Bendis took the Avengers and made it Justice League, Justice League International and Justice League Europe. Slott actually used actual Avengers in his run and it was awesome. I kinda liked the idea of Hank Pym running a team of "also rans". And the Pym interactions with Richards and Stark were classic, plus him becoming Scientist Supreme felt right to me.

#60 Posted by Night Thrasher (3447 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Jurgens for me...I don't dislike him or have some kind of grudge against him. It's just the only stories that he wrote that I've really enjoyed were the stories he did with JRJR on Thor. He just doesn't do it for me I guess.

#61 Edited by QueenCorp15 (985 posts) - - Show Bio

DONT like Dan Slot at all now the only two major peter parkers are dead an he killed the original

#62 Posted by tigerkaya (1202 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

I hate to dislike any writer, but I have to confess that I think Mark Millar is a blight on comics. I think he uses profanity for profanity's sake, just because "It's creator owned, I can do whatever I want." He is blatantly narcissistic - he thinks Superior was some grand evolution of "the Superman archetype."

Far more often than not, his creator owned, twisted takes on Big Two characters are making fun of those characters, and by association, making fun of fans who like those characters. I think it's sick and twisted to be self-publishing derivative characters, and at the same time deriding the two companies that made the rest of comics possible. There is no industry without Marvel & DC. You don't have to agree with everything they do (and I definitely don't) but show them some respect for giving you a love of comics in the first place.

I don't hate that he has gotten his titles into other media (movies, mainly) because face it, everyone's out to make a buck. I can't be mad at him for that. I do hate that it means his crud is spread to a wider audience. I have found very few of his projects to even be worth checking out. Wanted bore no resemblance to the movie it spawned, beyond title and main character. Kick-Ass shouldn't exist on paper, much less onscreen. Nemesis just seemed like shock tactics - Madonna type antics. Superior was both a perversion of Shazam/Captain Marvel, and an insult to everything a "Superman archetype" is supposed to stand for.

All that said, I don't completely write Mark Millar off. I think Nemesis and Superior were both good ideas that were badly executed. Wanted (the comic) was dark, but complaints about its aspersions on Big Two characters aside, how the main character dealt with those characters was interesting. Kick-Ass was absolute, juvenile tripe, but it pursued the answer to the question of superheroes in the real world that many fans have longed to see. I think the result was crud, but kudos for trying.

And now there's Jupiter's Legacy. I saw Millar's name attached to it, and instantly wrote it off, but decided to give it a try after the CV review of the first issue. I had a hard time tracking down that sold out issue, but came across a sketch variant for cover price. Two issues in... it isn't terrible. It could tip either way, but I'm very cautiously optimistic about this one. Like I said, I don't like to dislike any writer, so I'm hoping this one rises above his previous efforts.

I always thought that honor goes to Garth Ennis, case in point "The Boys".

#63 Posted by frogdog (2984 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott. I don't know how somebody who's writes superior spider-man can still claim he's the biggest spider-man fan.

#64 Posted by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns for ruining JL, Batman, WW and for not making MM a part of JL.

#65 Posted by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

#66 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3771 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I strongly agree on the MM part.

#67 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: God, I love Joe Abercrombie. So happy to see someone who actually knows who he is.

#68 Posted by SmashBrawler (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Eh, I wouldn't say he ruined Batman and Wonder Woman. He's been writing them in a pretty sh!tty way for years now.

#69 Edited by cbishop (6301 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

Far more often than not, his creator owned, twisted takes on Big Two characters are making fun of those characters, and by association, making fun of fans who like those characters. I think it's sick and twisted to be self-publishing derivative characters, and at the same time deriding the two companies that made the rest of comics possible...

Y'know, The Boys is twisted, and it's dark, and at times needlessly perverse, but I never felt like it was making fun of Big Two characters, as much as showing what they'd be like with a full range of emotions...baser emotions, but a full range of them. For whatever reason, that didn't bother me as much...maybe it's because The Boys give 'em the business for being such d'bags, so that made it "okay" somehow.

Millar, on the other hand, named his Bizarro "F*ckwit," and his Clayface "Sh*thead," and characterized them accordingly. That's just poor treatment for the sake of thumbing his nose at DC. His versions came off much smarmier than Morrison's to me.

#70 Edited by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

@tigerkaya said:

@cbishop said:

Far more often than not, his creator owned, twisted takes on Big Two characters are making fun of those characters, and by association, making fun of fans who like those characters. I think it's sick and twisted to be self-publishing derivative characters, and at the same time deriding the two companies that made the rest of comics possible...

Y'know, The Boys is twisted, and it's dark, and at times needlessly perverse, but I never felt like it was making fun of Big Two characters, as much as showing what they'd be like with a full range of emotions...baser emotions, but a full range of them. For whatever reason, that didn't bother me as much...maybe it's because The Boys give 'em the business for being such d'bags, so that made it "okay" somehow.

Millar, on the other hand, named his Bizarro "F*ckwit," and his Clayface "Sh*thead," and characterized them accordingly. That's just poor treatment for the sake of thumbing his nose at DC. His versions came off much smarmier than Morrison's to me.

The Boys was really making fun of the big two industry.

BB

#71 Edited by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Wagner will always be on my $h!t list for Trinity.

Grant Morrison is overrated. Final Crisis sucked, All Star Superman sucked and as manofiron11 said, his run on Action Comics was crap.

Not crazy about Brian Azzarello either.

But but Grendel, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Mage, Madame Xanadu and others...

Rarely see anyone saying All Star sucked.

BB

#72 Edited by tupiaz (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Wagner mostly it is that he draws his own stories I really don't like neither the drawings, the phase (numbers of panels, sometimes there is small unimportant panels) and how he tell the stories. The stories aren't always bad (but not great either sometimes good but mostly mediocre and unimportant). The stories aren't necessarily bad but they are just told very bad and that still hurts the story. If he gave up drawing the he stories could might be better it seems like he doesn't know how to tell the story correctly.

@batmannflash said:

@wolverine08: I like Daredevil. He's in my top 5 favorite Marvel heroes but Born Again just didn't do it for me. It's one of most famous DD stories but I didnt really like it. Maybe because of Frank Miller's style. I honestly can say that the current series by Mark Waid is amazing and better than Born Again. Same with the current series Daredevil: Dark Nights and Daredevil: Guardian Devil. But I heard that Frank Miller's run with Wolverine is one of the best Wolverine stories ever. How is it for you? I probably shouldn't ask you though, since you're like the biggest Wolverine fan in the world hah

Wow just wow. Mark Waid's run on DD is not my cup of tee and no it is not because it is light. It is sometimes stupid and doesn't use opportunities Now DD isn't a killer anymore he killed! Work with that. A man that doesn't kill got pushed over the limited and killed. Nope we are going to throw that away and make DD not a killer anymore and also doubt all the motives to why he "killed" bullseye. I reaaly don't under stand why you don't like Born again what was wrong with it?

If you don't like how FM told Born Again maybe you won't like Frank Miller/Chris Claremont's Wolverine since his style in art and telling the story is clearly him. Guardian Devil is also a good story but couldn't have been possible without born again. There is much homeage to this story but to a lot of older DD stories as well. Anyway it is a great story.

#73 Edited by tupiaz (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

@wolverine08: thanks for the recommendation! I've been having trouble getting a hold of old comics but I'll try

Seems like you answered my question anyway. Clearly the problem is you as a reader an not Miller as a writer.

#74 Edited by Akindoodle (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: Hehe, I'm currently in the middle of reading "Before They are Hanged". Fero and Monza (from Best Served Cold) are my favorites

#75 Edited by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: omg, I loved Best Served Cold. I've read the original trilogy as well. The Heroes is waiting on my Kindle to read next. I've heard it's the best one.

#76 Edited by batmannflash (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: I never said I disliked Born Again. I just said I didn't like it as much as I thought I would or as much as people said they did. Throughout the story, it didn't really grab onto me like some other stories. Miller is not bad, I liked The Dark Knight Returns, it's just a little overrated. All these websites have it as the best Batman story ever or even top 3 greatest comic books ever. And if you read my first post on here, I specifically said "I don't dislike Miller. But he's overrated." How can the problem be me as a reader? People are entitled to their own opinions.

Btw, I should specify. I meant I've been having trouble getting old Wolverine comics as of late. A week ago, wolverine08 recommended to me a bunch of Wolverine stories and I haven't gotten the time to get a hold of them. Usually, I've been able to get comics but I'm busy these days. That doesn't mean it's my problem that I only that thought Daredevil Born Again was okay. I'm sorry, but don't let ignorance and assumptions cloud your common sense, I'm sure you're a smart guy.

#77 Posted by Akindoodle (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I, unfortunately do not have the wherewithal to purchase all his books; they're quite expensive in print here in Ireland and so I have not read The Heroes. Yet. What I have are library owned. I LOVED Shivers and especially Cosca in Best Served Cold. Heck, I loved everyone in that book. Even Orso. Don't spoil the Original Trilogy for me please

#78 Posted by tupiaz (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash:

Of cause people right to different opinions. I just didn't feel you gave an explanation in your first post and in the next post you said you have problem with old comics. So it seemed like you had a problem with reading old issues rather than the story itself. Hope you get my point. I have a hard time understanding why it is overrated though!? Please explain1 it was one of the first DD stories a read (about ten years or so ago, not to long) and it blew me a way and read Guardian Devil shortly thereafter and even though I was shock and it was good it wasn't Born Again. On the other hand I feel his TDK is overrated. To many panels (especially the news host annoys me) also the mutants seems misplaced. Many dislike Miller for being sexist and even if that is the case today (haven't read anything in recent years by him. It for me doesn't make his old stories worse or less important.

#79 Posted by batmannflash (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Sorry, it seemed like you were upset (stupid online forums haha). I can't really explain it! You know what I'm talking about, some things just don't interest you. Daredevil is in my top 10 Marvel heroes (maybe even top 5) but Born Again, like I said, didn't make me hooked onto the story. If you like it so much, maybe I should read it again one day!

And yeah, Returns was overrated but still a good story to read, nonetheless.

#80 Posted by i_like_swords (7512 posts) - - Show Bio

Believe it or not I'm yet to read a comic I'm displeased with. So I only like the writers I've read and have none to dislike.

#81 Posted by tupiaz (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Sorry, it seemed like you were upset (stupid online forums haha). I can't really explain it! You know what I'm talking about, some things just don't interest you. Daredevil is in my top 10 Marvel heroes (maybe even top 5) but Born Again, like I said, didn't make me hooked onto the story. If you like it so much, maybe I should read it again one day!

And yeah, Returns was overrated but still a good story to read, nonetheless.

I can see how you feel that why. I however thought you just dismissed a writer because you couldn't cope old comics. Anyway you should reread Born Again sometime. My advice would be to stop at 231 instead of 233. The last two issues seems misplaced and Marvel wanted some other hero to be in the story so Miller had to put in Captain America in it.

#82 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: From Best Served Cold I enjoyed reading about Monza and Morveer the most. Ha ha. From the First Law Trilogy, my favorite is definitely Glokta and Luthar. No worries, I won't spoil anything. Enjoy the books.

#83 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop said:

There we go. Garth Ennis & Mark Millar, and someone else took the time to say it better than I would have.

In Ennis' case I have his name Tumblr savior'd so that I don't even accidentally see something he has written, because of how repulsed I've been by pretty much every page I've ever seen that he has written.

#84 Edited by batmannflash (6109 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Thanks for that advice, I will use it next time. And noo haha never dismiss a writer for that reason! Sorry for the misunderstanding

#85 Posted by Pokeysteve (7007 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

Matt Wagner will always be on my $h!t list for Trinity.

Grant Morrison is overrated. Final Crisis sucked, All Star Superman sucked and as manofiron11 said, his run on Action Comics was crap.

Not crazy about Brian Azzarello either.

But but Grendel, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Mage, Madame Xanadu and others...

Rarely see anyone saying All Star sucked.

BB

I haven't read any of those. I know I'm in the minority with All Star and I know one day his fans will burn my house down Frankenstein's Monster style.

#86 Edited by cbishop (6301 posts) - - Show Bio
#87 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@tigerkaya said:

@cbishop said:

There we go. Garth Ennis & Mark Millar, and someone else took the time to say it better than I would have.

In Ennis' case I have his name Tumblr savior'd so that I don't even accidentally see something he has written, because of how repulsed I've been by pretty much every page I've ever seen that he has written.

There are plenty of non offensive Ennis comics and few Millar ones.

BB

#88 Posted by Veshark (8502 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@tigerkaya said:

@cbishop said:

The Boys is a pretty extreme example of Ennis' writing; I believe he himself said he wanted to out-Preacher Preacher with that book. But honestly, if you look beyond all of the disgusting gore, nihilistic mindset, and deviant sexual fetishes, the Boys is actually a really good example of world-building and sympathetic characters. But I can definitely understand any repulsion towards it.

Still, I think despite his tendency for writing darker more morbid material, Ennis is actually a very talented writer. I'd strongly recommend his Punisher MAX run. He explores and really understands the character of Frank Castle, and each arc has a strong selection of empathetic characters. There's also his Battlefields stuff. Ennis has always had an interest in war history, and the stories he tells in this series are great. Of course there's also the tamer Hitman, and the great Superman issue.

As for Millar, I will say that I've disliked anything he's done post-Ultimate Universe. Civil War was meh, and his other projects like Kick-Ass, Nemesis, Ultimate Comics Avengers just seem to be violence for violence's sake, you can tell that he's lazy and doesn't seem to care anymore. But the man's best stuff will always be the Authority and his early Ultimate Universe books. Seriously those Ultimate Marvel titles were the definition of 'summer blockbuster', his early UXM work is great, and what I'll always consider his greatest accomplishment is The Ultimates/The Ultimates 2.

I always felt like both Millar and Hitch hit their peak when they did Ultimates. Like everything they've done post-Ultimates has paled in comparison. I can't praise this series enough. USM and UXM felt like modernized version of superhero comics, but the Ultimates had a serious tonal shift that no other comic has replicated. They truly felt like the 'big boys' of the Ultimate U, the characters and their situations felt more like 'what if heroes were in real-life' as opposed to just a modernization. These were real, human characters - they were an expensive gov-sponsored army that rarely went into battle and only did when the threat was major. Every battle was like a major military operation.

#89 Posted by Billy Batson (56850 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

But the man's best stuff will always be the Authority and his early Ultimate Universe books

Superman Adventures and Swamp Thing too.

BB

#90 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15884 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike every Incompetent writer who doesn't respect a character or the fan base. And i hate to dislike writers, i want to like everyone.

#91 Posted by Veshark (8502 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

But the man's best stuff will always be the Authority and his early Ultimate Universe books

Superman Adventures and Swamp Thing too.

BB

Hmm haven't gotten around to reading those. Or Red Son, on that note.

#92 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (27266 posts) - - Show Bio

There is way to much Grant Morrison hate in this thread for me to be comfortable with

#93 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15884 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns- DOes whatever he wants , retcons everything without caring. A fanboy who plays favorites, and does not respect some characters

Dan slott- He destroyed one of my utmost favorite characters, and he doesn't take constructive criticism even from the people who like superior. But the story can't work because a killer is being a more sufficient hero than teh actual spider-man, thats terrible.

#94 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15884 posts) - - Show Bio

There is way to much Grant Morrison hate in this thread for me to be comfortable with

#95 Edited by QueenCorp15 (985 posts) - - Show Bio

Scot lobdell & dan slott ftw

#96 Posted by Strider92 (15247 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott for obvious reasons.

#97 Posted by Lvenger (15969 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (27266 posts) - - Show Bio
#99 Edited by Lvenger (15969 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Posted by BattheMan008 (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'm starting to get tired of Scott Snyder is starting to annoy me. His last two arcs on Batman have left me severely underwhelmed and I'm unsure about Zero Year. I hope he proves me wrong.

You're joking right? You're not allowed to dislike Scott Snyder! :)