• 112 results
Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Everyone has some creators they dislike for some reason, even you. Who do you dislike?

For example, I dislike Dan Slott, because he ruined Mighty Avengers for me. And, even though I'm not a Spider-Man fan, he killed off one of the greatest characters and I miss Peter.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Everyone has some creators they dislike for some reason, even you. Who do you dislike?

For example, I dislike Dan Slott, because he ruined Mighty Avengers for me. And, even though I'm not a Spider-Man fan, he killed off one of the greatest characters and I miss Peter.

What was it you didn't like about his run?

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@v_scarlotte_rose: I loved how the first incarnation was the best of the best. Brian Michael Bendis put them in interesting situations and I loved it, it was my favorite series after New Avengers. Then Slott changed the roster, when I read it it felt like Hank Pym was the only interesting person (barely as Wasp), otherwise it was just a weird roster. Just what it felt like, I love the characters otherwise but here it didn't work.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Grant Morrison, granted his work on x-men was great. then he got drunk and popped too many pills and started writing batman....kinda ruined that for me

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Fair enough. I like both eras, but they are quite different, so I can see how they change may have been unwelcome to some people.

ManofIron11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I don't like Grant Morrison. His run on Action was crap. I can see how it would be good as a collected edition but as a monthly series it wasn't much fun to be confused all the time.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWind

Frank Miller. I don't care what good stories he wrote in the past. His blatant bias towards Batman is annoying. The way he writes women and treats other heroes in comparison to Batman is flat out disrespectful.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis. Holy, I heard this guy said in an interview that Ares would defeat Thor in a fight or something along those lines.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Scott Lobdell's Superman. I just can't get behind it. It's the dialogue, I think, but it's hard to pinpoint.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SideburnGuru

@blackwind said:

Frank Miller. I don't care what good stories he wrote in the past. His blatant bias towards Batman is annoying. The way he writes women and treats other heroes in comparison to Batman is flat out disrespectful.

I love his stories, but I completely agree. He is a prime example of bias towards Batman.

I'm going to say something, that will kill my rep more than it's already slaughtered. Alan Moore. I don't dislike him. I don't hate him. He made some of the best stories of all time.

However, it's his damn annoying template. I feel as though he always has to go for shock value, just like Robert Kirkman in a sense. [Robert Kirkman, I just feel goes for the more negative ending/resolution more than anything.]. And when shock value is overly used, the shock value isn't there. For example, rape in every one of his stories. In at least every Alan Moore book I remember, there had to be some scene where a woman either got beat up, or raped.

Like I said, I respect Alan Moore. I like him alot. I would love to get the chance to meet him. But it's just one of those things that annoy me. If it happened once or twice, fine. But it happens in each of his stories. Hell, even in Before The Watchmen, it wasn't even WRITTEN by him, and Rorschach's issue opened up with a woman getting beat up.

Also, I'd say Liefeld, but that's pretty much beating the way past dead horse.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997

Fraction and Lobdell.They both have a good run on a single book and every other run of theirs sucks really hard.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Geoff John's Justice League

@sideburnguru: I have to agree with you on that point about Alan Moore and his women. His stuff's good but the way he treats women is appalling. Despite that, I always think of him as the George R. Martin of comics and Kirkman as the Joe Abercrombie (That's not an insult to either novelist by the way. It's just the comparison I use in my head)

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Geoff John's Justice League

@sideburnguru: I have to agree with you on that point about Alan Moore and his women. His stuff's good but the way he treats women is appalling. Despite that, I always think of him as the George R. Martin of comics and Kirkman as the Joe Abercrombie (That's not an insult to either novelist by the way. It's just the comparison I use in my head)

That's honestly a pretty interesting and fitting comparison. I can agree with it.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheManInTheShoe
BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone need a reason to hate Gary Brodsky?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Chris Claremont.

His never ending, seldom resolved dangling sub-plots in the X-Men made the entire X-universe way too convoluted.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Grant Morrison's newer stuff. The man's works have become a victim of his own prior success. No one says no to him anymore, so his stuff has become very self-indulgent and weird.

Geoff Johns when he's wanking to his favorite characters. Most of my experience with Johns comes from his current JL run. He writes pretty standard, run-of-the-mill superhero stories, but his characterizations are often missing the mark by a long shot.

Been also reading some of Kurt Busiek's "acclaimed" Marvel stuff (Marvels, Avengers, etc.). Might be the aging process, but it comes off very wordy and self-righteous. It reads like it was written in the 60's when it was written in the 90's. Makes me scared to revisit his Astro City stuff because I have such fond memories of it.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I can't really get into Geoff Johns stuff, or at least not his Aquaman. It just feels...off to me.

I also find most of Frank Millar's stuff pretty bad, it's sort of the issue of way too much focus on pointless violence that Mark Millar has, but with more prostitutes added in.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

He ruined Mighty Avengers? I loved Slotts Mighty Avengers. He made me a fan of Hank Pym, before I totally disliked him. I can see how Pym was mainly the most interesting though. I personally enjoyed that series. I really wished it didn't end. ( + )

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: It's just that Bendis' run was so great and then he replaced it with Thor-lite, Ant-Man-lite, Vision-lite and Captain America-lite. Just a thought.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just another guy who also overhypes him.. but I feel Geoff John earned my respect with his amazing Green Lantern titles.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fraction, Bendis, and Jeph Loeb. Fraction for the fact his terrible run on Iron Man and hows his stories are just blatant repeats from old Iron Man stories. Bendis for his horrid Avengers run of screwing the original members over and giving us a Street Level team of his favorites. Then theres Loeb for his casual depowering of other heroes to make his Red Hulk look good and his horrendous directions as a producer for Marvel animated cartoons.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@themanintheshoe: I understand. I didn't read much of Bendis' run. I respect your point of you but I personally enjoyed Slott's run. ( + )

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I avoid anything by Bendis.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Slott has really done everything he can, in my opinion, to jack up Spider-Man. Although I rather enjoyed Spider-Island and End of the Earth.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for gorillazman2012
gorillazman2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_smahboi: I agree completely, somethings just not right about it. Similar thing happened with Red Hood after the first arc. Started off really good with the first arc, then just slipped into limbo a bit. Superman's just not had a decent story under his run I don't think

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question. Bendis' works are bad?

Many Viners don't like Bendis. I've only read Ultimate Spider-man and Spider-men and I liked them, Ultimate Spider-man led me into the comics. Am I the only one who likes Ultimate Spidey by Bendis?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modunhanul: That's probably because you've only read his better stuff sans Daredevil. A prime example of Bendis suckage is his Avengers Assemble run.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Pokeysteve

Matt Wagner will always be on my $h!t list for Trinity.

Grant Morrison is overrated. Final Crisis sucked, All Star Superman sucked and as manofiron11 said, his run on Action Comics was crap.

Not crazy about Brian Azzarello either.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lobdell disappointed me in the latest issue of Action Comics. Also, Frank Millar and his Batman worship can get a bit irritating. Don't get me wrong I love Batman, but he just takes it to another level.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JulieDC

Seldom do I pay attention to writers but, of the few, Miller, Lobdell, Morrison, and Tomasi. At least based on the stuff I've read so far. My opinion may change as I read more since I don't typically avoid a writer's work as some write better for other characters or executive meddling stunted their potential in certain works...

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison, granted his work on x-men was great. then he got drunk and popped too many pills and started writing batman....kinda ruined that for me

I hated his run on X-Men, mostly because of what he did to Magneto. I like his work on Justice League though, and All-Star Superman is good.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly, I'm starting to get tired of Scott Snyder is starting to annoy me. His last two arcs on Batman have left me severely underwhelmed and I'm unsure about Zero Year. I hope he proves me wrong.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Isn't frank miller the guy who wrote all star batman? Yeah that guy is awful

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

"Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!" At least All Star Batman and Robin is funny.

Allie_Ho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Allie_Ho

James Robinson, I haven't forgot how much pain he's caused to the DC universe with that Justice League: Cry of Justice with reviving the obscene character Congo Bill and putting him in the Justice League and having, overpowering Prometheus and ruining Green Arrow to the point of nonrecognition that DC was forced(probably persuaded) to reboot him with his low sales by the aftermath from that with the horrible Brightest Day saga and to mention also ruining Justice League for a while.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@wolverine08: It did not make me laugh after I spent 20 dollars on a bad joke. The worst part is he had friggin jim lee A's the artist. And ruined it with a bad joke. Couldve been a great story

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Lobdell.

For ruining the Titans.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: True, Batman was out of character and the story was to gritty. But Frank Miller aint all bad, he wrote the classic Year One Batman origin, had a classic run on Daredevil, and a lot of other good stuff.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#42  Edited By batmannflash

@sog7dc:

"Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!" At least All Star Batman and Robin is funny.

That is a terrible line!!!

And I don't dislike Frank Miller. But he's overrated. Daredevil: Born Again just didn't do it for me and TDK Returns was a good story but very overrated. I have seen way too many websites that put Returns as the best Batman comic book, which ISN'T TRUE! His style and the way he portrays Batman annoys after a little while.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolverine008

@batmannflash: I agree that TDK is overrated, but Born Again was very good IMO. And yes, Frank has tendency to overdo "grittiness" with Batman, but I did LOL at the "I'm the goddamn Batman" line.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By batmannflash

@wolverine08: I like Daredevil. He's in my top 5 favorite Marvel heroes but Born Again just didn't do it for me. It's one of most famous DD stories but I didnt really like it. Maybe because of Frank Miller's style. I honestly can say that the current series by Mark Waid is amazing and better than Born Again. Same with the current series Daredevil: Dark Nights and Daredevil: Guardian Devil. But I heard that Frank Miller's run with Wolverine is one of the best Wolverine stories ever. How is it for you? I probably shouldn't ask you though, since you're like the biggest Wolverine fan in the world hah

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and you guys do know that Scott Lobdell has an account here? lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: Actually, Frank Miller didnt right that write that classic Wolverine story. He just did the art which was very good. Chris Claremont wrote the story and he did a fantasic job.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: You should try it. It had Wolverine, ninjas, and high octane martial arts. It was an awesome Wolverine story that defined him as a character.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really a fan of Michael Bendis. His stories with street level characters are sublime, but his team books are often very mediocre.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: thanks for the recommendation! I've been having trouble getting a hold of old comics but I'll try