Would you say that Superman is being overpowered in New 52

Avatar image for herogothamdeserves
HeroGothamDeserves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you say that Superman is being overpowered in New 52 (29 votes)

Yes 38%
No 69%

Only some writers do this

• 
fisheypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is always overpowered.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was always overpowered. He was so overpowered that he had to be depowered for the justice league TV show. Same with martian manhunter

Avatar image for herogothamdeserves
HeroGothamDeserves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean like this time in the new 52 they actually say it and always compare him to other heroes

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard

WHy is it multiple choice?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WYF how can you all say he is overpowered ? Look at MM he has ALL of Supes powers plus a whole range of Psy powers and shape shifting and no calls him over powered.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. He is the very peak of the DC pyramid, he needs to truly be the most powerful. His best stories involve him being the Earth's most powerful being, and his moral obligations and the emotional turmoil between his humble nature and his nigh infinite power.

It also makes it so much cooler when a big bad like Darkseid just backhands him, it puts the stakes at their very peak. Justice League: War did this spectacularly.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

What does overpowered actually mean? Does anyone have a definition for that phrase? Because, to my understanding, it's subjective as favorite foods. One person may say Clark is overpowered and another may say the same of Spider-man. It's all opinion.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but the earth benching feat was stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's overpowered in terms of what? What's he so much more powerful than? I can think of plenty of beings who match or surpass Superman in power who could still feasibly be written in the same comic as him (and are).

Saying he's "overpowered" is just silly and is really your way of saying "I don't like Superman but can't think of a good reason to explain why".

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's overpowered in terms of what? What's he so much more powerful than? I can think of plenty of beings who match or surpass Superman in power who could still feasibly be written in the same comic as him (and are).

Saying he's "overpowered" is just silly and is really your way of saying "I don't like Superman but can't think of a good reason to explain why".

Id say that it comes from the insecurity that he is more powerful than their favorite character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@i_like_swords said:

Id say that it comes from the insecurity that he is more powerful than their favorite character.

That's kind of silly to be honest. I don't like characters based on powerful or skillful they are. Punisher isn't exactly Batman or Black Panther but I'd still take him over the latter any day.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only some writers, when he benches the earth, without his armor, or any sunlight, for 5 days, before he sweats a single drop. OP AF.

when he's fighting He'l he seems a little overpowered.

and someone made a claim that Superman makes a claim that an exploding sun is no big deal to him, but I haven't seen the scans myself, if this is true Max OP.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, but I see a trend where writers nerf other characters to make him seem tougher

and overpowered characters don't get pimpsmacked to the moon

Looking at you Earth-2 and Injustice, where there are plenty of characters who would outright murder superman's big blue ass they let him live.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

Nope. He is the very peak of the DC pyramid, he needs to truly be the most powerful. His best stories involve him being the Earth's most powerful being, and his moral obligations and the emotional turmoil between his humble nature and his nigh infinite power.

It also makes it so much cooler when a big bad like Darkseid just backhands him, it puts the stakes at their very peak. Justice League: War did this spectacularly.

Absolutely, positively this. He's SUPERMAN he's supposed to be the strongest there is.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

He's SUPERMAN he's supposed to be the strongest there is.

disagree, I say he's the 'middle' when it comes to hero tiering considering DC's expansive universe. I say that is why they neglected Icon from milestone and Majestros from WS.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Arrow

Like this?

No Caption Provided

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: "I am many things Kal-El, but here, I am god."

Exactly like that. I like when the villain seems totally unbeatable, and the heroes have to leave literally everything on the table to win.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman:

disagree, I say he's the 'middle' when it comes to hero tiering considering DC's expansive universe. I say that is why they neglected Icon from milestone and Majestros from WS.

Strongest hero on mainstream, DC Earth. Not the entire universe or including Vertigo, Wildstorm or any other imprints...didn't think I had to be that specific, thought it was obvious :P

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@deaditegonzo said:

Like this?

No Caption Provided

that is hilarious

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

Strongest hero on mainstream, DC Earth. Not the entire universe or including Vertigo, Wildstorm or any other imprints...didn't think I had to be that specific, thought it was obvious :P

I would put atom above actually, but annoying writers keep D-riding on the trinity and using their symbolism >_<

GL are often underplayed by a lot of folks, so is doctor fate and captain marvel [who also has a share of crazy silver age feats]

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

Besides his own reply, i'd also add that that is what "supposed to be" means. The point is if he is shown as being the absolute top excluding cosmic entities, he's still not OP because that is who he is supposed to be.

Facts like DC neglecting Majestros actually reflect this.

The food chain may have been different before, but I think DC is intentionally fixing this, by what some people call making him OP. And each individual has an idea what they think the hierarchy is supposed to be but its really just our own opinions. The only opinion that matters is whoever is writing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman:

I would put atom above actually, but annoying writers keep D-riding on the trinity and using their symbolism >_<

GL are often underplayed by a lot of folks, so is doctor fate and captain marvel [who also has a share of crazy silver age feats]

Nah, I think Sups would beat any GL and Shazam. Atom is a toss up, depending on how the fight goes down and how immune Supes is to various radiation. Doctor Fate could beat him..if he's fast enough.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo:

Superman also has a 'batman' effect when shown against people of similar powers, also the fact that DC seems to have a hate-boner for the Marvel family.

Its blatantly disgusting when looked at.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Strongarm

@the_stegman:

Nah, I think Sups would beat any GL and Shazam. Atom is a toss up, depending on how the fight goes down and how immune Supes is to various radiation. Doctor Fate could beat him..if he's fast enough.

exactly, even though GL can do so much than 'choo choo trains' [looking at you hal] writers insist that they are merely shapers of hard light. Capt also got whomped once he became essentially the 'god' of magic by, black frickin adam. Atom had LSD crazy feats back then, writers think he's just used tissue whenever someone rips the containment suit. Fate used to have the physicals to contend.

and there is manhunter

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes very OP,takes away the suspense from the character and makes him boring.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, as long as Superman can't beat people like Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Darkseid, Guardians, Martian Manhunter, or Captain Atom (new 52 version), then I think Superman is fine. He IS supposed to be one of the strongest superhero after all.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I think what people have to understand is, Superman isn't just fighting random street level thugs and goons, the guy fights people with equal to or greater strength than his own, like Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac, Parasite (when done right). Even the "humans" he fights have vast intellect, resources and weaponry. He's not at all over powered, he's aptly powered for the threats he faces.

It's like saying Thor (who, essentially, has all of Superman's powers, plus control over the weather)is overpowered, nay, he fights gods and monsters, he needs the power.