#1 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

If you noticed that your favorite character is not getting any attention in any of the comics, would you rather see them die or have them fade into the background?

Personally, I would rather see my favorite character die an honorable death than to fade into the background, but only if I see that the writer who is writing my favorite character has no intention at all to use my favorite character for anything in the storylines. The thing about having my favorite character die an honorable death is that they would be fondly remembered for doing something noble and also, if my favorite character has died, then I wouldn't really have to worry about them being written terribly since they wouldn't be in the stories in the first place. However, if I rather have it where my favorite character is being written into the background, then I would wait it out until a better writer comes along and uses my favorite character in a more proactive role for the storyline.

#2 Posted by sagejonathan (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

Background I guess. His/her time will come again... some day.

#3 Posted by akbogert (3215 posts) - - Show Bio

Given the extraordinary rarity of well-written, truly meaningful deaths in comics, I'm (and this isn't a surprise) firmly in the fade camp. A long shot is better than no shot, I say.

#4 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Fade into the background.  Unless of coarse they have been in the background for a super long time, then might as well kill them off. 

#5 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

My idol will never die ^_^

Joker Forever <3

Sincerely,

#6 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

If the character's death is written well, their popularity may increase, thus increasing the possibility of their return.

If a character fades into obscurity, then chance may have it that nobody will care because we all let it happen. Chances are that they might not return.

#7 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Death if it is a good death, fade if no good death could be made.

#8 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Given the extraordinary rarity of well-written, truly meaningful deaths in comics, I'm (and this isn't a surprise) firmly in the fade camp. A long shot is better than no shot, I say.

This.

#9 Posted by TheCannon (18276 posts) - - Show Bio

If I know the character won't be used again for more than maybe a cameo, then I would rather see Thor die a honorable, heroic, epic death.

#10 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Better to let unpopular characters fade away just in case they become useful in the future. Booster Gold has literally faded away. Kevin Kho has been depowered but Brother Eye and Maxwell Lord are both plotting in the background. Mother Machine is still lurking here and there. Most of the JLI sent to the Global Guardians but the Global Guardians tend to be rarely seen. Not sure where these characters are spending their extended vacations : Blackhawks, Hawk and Dove, Static, Resurrection Man.

#11 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Who says if the character is gonna die a heroic death?The fly girl in avengers arena died because she flew into a force field.How sad was that?I'd rather have her in comic book limbo.

#12 Edited by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

To those who chose death, how many of you would tell that in person to your fave character? :p

#13 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

If the character's death is written well, their popularity may increase, thus increasing the possibility of their return.

If a character fades into obscurity, then chance may have it that nobody will care because we all let it happen. Chances are that they might not return.

I definitely agree with this!!

#14 Posted by Sharkbite (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Definately Fade.

Even less popular characters will occasionally find their series rebooted to see whether or not it's 'their time'. Look at titles like Doom Patrol that have failed and been rebooted over and over again. Sooner or later, you know they'll get another chance.

The thing about dying a truly meaningful death is, the meaningful ones actually last. A cheap sales grab like the death of Superman, Captain America, and Jean Grey, or the quotes "death" of Peter Parker and Batman are exactly that, a poorly done play for a few cheap bucks that will be undone in a year or two. Giving your character a death like that, that's just cheap and meaningless, and generally it degrades the value of what they've done.

On the flip side, those really heroic moments, like the death of Ted Kord, the ones that turn a character into someone that everybody respects and talks about after their gone, so much of the power is in the fact that they actually sacrificed their life. For Jean Grey to say "kill me to save the world" is pretty much on par with "give me a black eye to save the world"; we all know it's going to fade in a few weeks. But for Ted Kord, not even the ressurection of Maxwell Lord nor the New 52 reboot is enough to get him out of the grave as more than a zombie lantern.

#15 Posted by dtm1980 (240 posts) - - Show Bio

Fade, or more specifically, purposely take an extended holiday. When a character is killed off, I don't often like the silly ways they're brought back when people want them back. In some character's cases though they're fatalists that wouldn't have it any other way than to die honourably or tragically. Its alright if they're a god or demi-god because they weren't really living in the human sense to begin with and they can be brought back without question

#16 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the character. 
Stilt-Man retiring was much better than the death he received soon after. 

#17 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick said:

Fade into the background. Unless of coarse they have been in the background for a super long time, then might as well kill them off.
#18 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

A death can be an excellent justification of a character; just look at superman's and spider-man's. Dying in front of their friends while trying to save them. It shows they'll give anything to uphold their convictions, which is what makes them heroes in the first place.

#19 Posted by Vaccine (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, an honorable death of a character can be considered as a valid option but it also closes the door on ever letting the character shine again in that particular series unless a rare chance comes by where the deceased character is so well-liked after his/her death that the writers decide to resurrect him/her. That is, however, a rare occasion.

Letting the unused character(s) fade away into the background will allow the him/her to be used more flexibly in the series. Chances would appear where the character needs to be used again and the writer has no problem in doing so since he/she is NOT incapacitated and still very well in the game. There you go. Just don't lose hope and your favorite character will show up sooner or later.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

#20 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20135 posts) - - Show Bio

If the character still had a chance of being picked up years, or even decades later (such as Captain America did), then I would let them fade into the background. If they cannot be revived and must stay in the background, I'd rather let them die in a really epic last stand battle that spans over a story arc.

#21 Posted by Teerack (5751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jokergeist: Already did.

#22 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely fade. What tends happens when a character dies:

-huge, epic death. /status quo.

-one or more storylines about the aftermath

*period of time less than 12 months (or more than 10 years)*

-one or more storylines about the return

-huge, epic rebirth. re: status quo.

They may make good stories, but its still a cheap trick when the character comes back too soon.

#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

Definitely fade. What tends happens when a character dies:

-huge, epic death. /status quo.

-one or more storylines about the aftermath

*period of time less than 12 months (or more than 10 years)*

-one or more storylines about the return

-huge, epic rebirth. re: status quo.

They may make good stories, but its still a cheap trick when the character comes back too soon.

This basically sums it up!

#24 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather them die in a glorious last story

or have an important death

#25 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5834 posts) - - Show Bio

@dtm1980 said:

Fade, or more specifically, purposely take an extended holiday. When a character is killed off, I don't often like the silly ways they're brought back when people want them back. In some character's cases though they're fatalists that wouldn't have it any other way than to die honourably or tragically. Its alright if they're a god or demi-god because they weren't really living in the human sense to begin with and they can be brought back without question

I agree that characters should fade if they are that popular enough for the fans. Killing off characters too often will result in fans getting tired of the whole death game (even though we are already tired of that), so letting the characters live and only show up in stories where they can be the most useful would be the best option for that character.