Would you like o see comics address racism?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I would. I'd like to see how my favorite characters address racism and really any kind of discrimination. I think both marvel and dc should dedicate a month similar to villains month to address racism homophobia and bullying in comics. What do you all think?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kgb725

@sog7dc: Hulk had a comic that dealt with Hiv/Aids

KingRobbStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. People read comics to escape reality. Besides racism and homophobia would be a non issue in the comic worlds, not with all the super powered individuals, and the monthly alien invasions.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith
No Caption Provided

KingRobbStark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: The X-Men are super powered individuals, and I'm sure the OP wan'ts contemporary issues to be discussed, not comic dilemmas.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 SC  Moderator

I agree, but I think a month dedicated to it might backfire. I think its better just popping up more organically all the time, and having a month for it in comics might feel a little too forced and come off as gimmicky. With villains its okay because its gimmicky, but its also relatively simple. Most of our heroes have titles, not as many for villains, lets switch that for a month, nice and easy. On top of that, some books like many older X-Men story arcs, discrimination was a constant story theme, that reoccured over many months.

I think what may be the problem is that comics, at least Marvel and DC are in safe mode, given how low and precarious comic sales are. I do wish more writers wanted to explore discrimination and social politics more. Good question. Last good book i reach tackling the subject was Untouchable by Mike Carey that explored an Indian boy studying with English classmates. It also had cool demons in it too! Also its neither Marvel or DC.

No Caption Provided

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Its been done.... a lot. mostly in the seventies, but this subject, like all moral social subjects, has been done to death in comics. mostly because they usually end up the least favorite by readers, and most quoted by the media.

If you want to try and find them I think that the following characters had a such an issue revolve around them.

GL: Hal Jordan,GL: John Stewart, Storm, Spike, Static Shock, Green Arrow (always the pinnacle of social issue buzz words) and I think The Fantastic Four did something like this but Im not sure.

I know there are more, in particular I don't remember them or never saw them on an A&E Biography of the history of comics.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I wish Dwayne McDuffie was still alive. His Milestone comics weren't afraid to address things like racism.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure comics deal with these issues. Supreme power one of the members on the team absolutely hates white people because his parents were murdered by the Klan. He is basically batman.

There was a super-man story where he goes to Harlem or some ghetto area and encounters the local hero. Muhammad X who also hates white people because he was treated poorly by them. Superman tries his hardest to get this guy to like him.

Statics best friend was gay

the X-men is one big metaphor

I am sure there are tons more stories but they shouldn't be the main focus.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bogey

I'm sure most comic book writers don't want to write some garbage story about being politically correct.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

X-Men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't read comics for a touching story on racism. I go to something like To Kill a Mockingbird for that.

I think the whole Racism aspect of the X-Men is part of the reason I don't read them.

SamRevlon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hard to believe that a lot of people here are stating that they don't look to comics for a good read. Some of you have even went so far to say that you want to escape reality with it and while I get what's being said its just hard to really understand that frame of mind. I think some of the best stories contain realistic elements that keep the story grounded - for the most part DC is based off of Earth, a modern look (unless you go sci-fi, etc) but the only thing different is the superheros that are present. Most authors draw their superheroes in a setting of events that take place in real and add their own spin and approach on it.

And you can't really escape reality without being able to relate to a character - that's why we have favs today because the character responds to certain situations that we too might choose or would like to choose. I can't necessarily become Lizardman but I might be able to relate to his struggles as a scientist, etc, those sort of things.

I dunno, I said all that but I don't have much hope for DC to suddenly start tackling some serious issues when in fact they only write for money. If say there was money to be had at writing comics centered around racism, then you'd start seeing it present itself more seriously.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2