#1 Posted by Nightwing82 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw this asked somewhere and it got me thinking would the Green Lantern Corps not have at least try to save the people of Krypton if they couldn't save the planet itself?!? i've looked through all my old books and i can't recall it ever been mentioned!! if anyone as any insight that would be helpful!!

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The universes are all very large and it is just impossible for a small number of Green Lanterns to patrol everywhere or to help everyone. We can say the explosion of krypton was the wills of the gods and many kryptonians did survive such as the phantom zone villains who can easily go and multiply and fill up thousands of new planets.

#3 Posted by Bruxae (12680 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, I just assumed because there wasnt a galactic threat, rather krypton was broken because of war and stupidity.

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd most likely have died as well. There were no Lanterns with sufficient will (and in close enough proximity) to affect the destruction.  

All that said, I'm fairly certain that there is actually a story pertaining to this issue, but you'd need to find someone who knows GL better than me to tell you.

#5 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

If I recall correctly the Guardians have some kind of issue with Kryptonians, but I got the information second hand and I haven't seen anything to confirm it.

Either way they don't seem to care all that much if a species is wiped out. (The Martians for instance)

#6 Edited by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio

Could could have been several reasons. 

• They just plain didn't know.
  • Krypton could have refused help. They certainly didn't listen to one of their smartest scientists when he told them.
  • The GL of that sector was doing something else.
  • Was there a GL even in that part of space?
  • There could have been nefarious reasons. Guardians certainly haven't been shown in a good light lately.
  • What about Mars. IIRC pre 52 Guardians meddled in Martian history before. During 52 MM has suggested something about Mars destruction and the Guardians involvement  or lack there of. 
#7 Edited by The_Tree (7247 posts) - - Show Bio

Tomar Re was supposed to help in saving Krypton by bring them some thing that would save the planet. I'm pretty sure he ended up getting blinded by a solar flare, dropping the thing, and then was too late. Krypton was in his sector, FYI, Sector 2813.

I found a pic, but I have no idea where it's from:

#8 Posted by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

Tomar Re was supposed to help in saving Krypton by bring them some thing that would save the planet. I'm pretty sure he ended up getting blinded by a solar flare, dropping the thing, and then was too late.

I found a pic, but I have no idea where it's from:

That looks poorly done. What could he have possibly have brought them that would have worked in the small amount of time that it took for him to get his eyesite? Not to mention I may be wrong but he could have had his ring bring him in in auto pilot.
#9 Edited by The_Tree (7247 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: LOL. Looking at his Wikipedia page, it says that it was a compound called Stellarium that would've absorbed Krypton's tectonic pressure, thus saving the Kryptonians. It sounds pretty cool, but then the story kind of implodes on itself when you ask the question: "If he knew that Krypton was in danger of exploding, why did he wait so long to bring over the Stellarium?" I don't know though, maybe they answer some questions in that issue. I've only seen a brief description and a scan of a single page.

#10 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, but had Krypton been saved we never would have had Superman.

At least not as we're familiar with him.

#11 Posted by sinestro_GL (3067 posts) - - Show Bio

If we go by Geoff Johns explanation for Krypton's destruction i.e. Brainiac, perhaps the Guardians know the futility of trying to save a planet that has fallen victim to Brainiac. I mean, Brainiac has collected several civilizations, all without help from the Lanterns...it's no coincidence.

#12 Posted by Nightwing82 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm some interesting points just seems like something worth exploring maybe a GL/Superman cross over

#13 Posted by Strider92 (16163 posts) - - Show Bio

No because plot dictated they must not!

#14 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

you know I was thinking about this the other day too.