Would Mutants have better luck in the DC universe?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By stormshadow_x

Just asking. Would Mutants have better luck In DC?

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hart7668

In DC, everyone is just suspicious or rather, scared, of the Justice League. Especially Superman. So, I doubt it.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would think so, if only because the whole basis for the X-hate isn't very well thought out (nothing wrong with that, they were created a long time ago, & for a good purpose (of social commentary)). Their genetic mutation (which definitely doesn't make them a different species than homo sapiens) that gives them not-normal abilities are supposed to make them different than other humans who have their physiology altered to give them powers? It's a bit dumb.

In the DCU if there's any ill-feelings it's just powered vs non-powered (which makes sense IRL - you should be wary of someone who's a god by comparison), so they wouldn't face the pure bigotry they face in the MU.

nojellykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No Caption Provided

equalists are in every universe

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The humans would react the same way as the Marvel humans and call the mutants freaks with a new Senator Kelly like person stepping forward and hiring a guy like Trask to create Sentinels to hunt them down while the Justice league deal with their bigger problems like the Avengers which prevents them from helping.

But meh......

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio said:

The humans would react the same way as the Marvel humans and call the mutants freaks with a new Senator Kelly like person stepping forward and hiring a guy like Trask to create Sentinels to hunt them down while the Justice league deal with their bigger problems like the Avengers which prevents them from helping.

But meh......

Why? There's plenty of "mutated humans" in DC's world (many more freakish than many "mutants") & the same isn't seen there. Marvel's differentiation between "mutants" & other genetically-different humans (Spiderman, etc) lacks a lot of logic (like I said before - not that that's crazy. These writers likely studied english, not science. And Stan's reason (to mirror real-life discrimination of the time) was admirable & needed at the time. Today it just doesn't make sense in the context of the larger Marvel Universe. (And I know, a lot of people agree that the X-Men universe has a habit of acting like a separate universe & likely could function as one)).

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I think if you look at some of the characters in the DC universe such as Negative man or Metamorpho, they were also invented around the same time as the X-men, they were looked on as weird and odd (same with Swamp Thing,) which was an interesting contrast to heroes such The Flash, Green Lantern and Superman who are praised and worshipped by the DCU population this interesting especially since DC is pro-establishment when it comes to their superheroes as opposed to Marvel which was anti-establishment. However I doubt they would have a better time in the DCU than the MCU.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Experio

@lightsout: There are but that doesn't mean some people weren't freaked unless they're used to monster looking creatures walking with them ordinarily

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm sure SOME people will distrust them, but The general public praises an alien with god like powers who also keeps his true identity a secret and doesn't work with any governments, I think they will trust mutants, plus, the DC clitizens aren't as ungrateful as the Marvel ones.

No Caption Provided

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They'll still get hated on but not as much as in Marvel

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I bet they would. Shoot, if they can accept Superman and alien Red Lanterns terrorizing Paris, then yeah. I'd say DCU wouldn't give two shits.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lightsout

@experio: But what you were originally saying was that the same large-scale hate-campaign (a government "sponsored" one at that) would arise, and that's much stronger than "some people being freaked". There hasn't been anything like that in DC, so in theory there wouldn't be any for "mutants" if they were transported to the DCU.

That is one difference - off hand I can't think of many visually mutated people walking around in DC (not too main-stream, at least), ie: 'they're not used to it'.... though to be fair DC doesn't really focus on "people with powers who aren't heroes/villains" (and that aspect is a huge part of the X-men world - people who are mutants but just regular people) but I'm sure there has to be people with abilities who don't use them "professionally" (that's pretty unique to X-men to feature such people heavily...another way they're much different from the rest of the MU). Andit might be a moot point anyway, since in the MU mutant-hate isn't just for the visually mutated, but for anyone who is labeled a mutant.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@experio: But what you were originally saying was that the same large-scale hate-campaign (a government "sponsored" one at that) would arise, and that's much stronger than "some people being freaked". There hasn't been anything like that in DC, so in theory there wouldn't be any for "mutants" if they were transported to the DCU.

That is one difference - off hand I can't think of many visually mutated people walking around in DC (not too main-stream, at least), ie: 'they're not used to it'.... though to be fair DC doesn't really focus on "people with powers who aren't heroes/villains" (and that aspect is a huge part of the X-men world - people who are mutants but just regular people) but I'm sure there has to be people with abilities who don't use them "professionally" (that's pretty unique to X-men to feature such people heavily...another way they're much different from the rest of the MU). Andit might be a moot point anyway, since in the MU mutant-hate isn't just for the visually mutated, but for anyone who is labeled a mutant.

Well, to be fair, half of the original Teen Titans aren't normal looking, Starfire is orange and half naked, Beast Boy is Green and furry, Cyborg is...Cyborg, yet they not only get respect, but an entire island dedicated to their home base. But, I do agree that people don't just hate mutants cause they look weird, a good chunk of the mutant hate is because they look TOO MUCH like humans, and are "hiding among us".

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Definitely. I really wish Marvel would stop hating on the X-men

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure SOME people will distrust them, but The general public praises an alien with god like powers who also keeps his true identity a secret and doesn't work with any governments, I think they will trust mutants, plus, the DC clitizens aren't as ungrateful as the Marvel ones.

No Caption Provided

I always liked that picture!

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: The Campaign and the trask part was a coincident joke which could never happen. But all I'm saying is they wouldn't be 'okay' with funny looking mutants as the people would automatically judge through their looks and call the cops or something, in time they would either be forced to accept or start a world wide petition. DC has accepted aliens like Superman who became a hero but he is easily adaptable while not all mutants are like Mystique.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the difference lays in the beginning of both comic companies. DC tried to make hero comics that people wanted to read because the characters would act they way that we'd like to believe we would act. While Marvel tried to make their comics slightly more realistic and the characters would act more like how we actually would act.

Summary:

DC is more of of how we'd like to be.

Marvel is more of what we are.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Fine...go ahead & point out my glaring omission :p

I think that strengthens the fact that the DC world would be cool w/mutants. (If only because the traditional DCU is more of an ideal than what the real world is (trusting people, especially those different/more-powerful, etc). Marvel's hate/fear of different people is more realistic...just not applied correctly/consistently).

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lightsout

@the_stegman: (just saw picture post), great example of how idealistic/trusting the DCU is!

@experio - Stegman provided a good example of the DCU being "cool" with different looking powered-people --> many of the Teen Titans.

@aros001 Yep, hits the nail on the head. Though the n52 seems to be trying to use the Marvel-model these past few years. (Funny thing, is how the movies are sort of reversing the tones the companies were "known for" for so long. DC more gritty & Marvel more "fun times!").

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

@lyrafay said:

@the_stegman said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, the DC public actually loved the Avengers when they came (though to be fair, they just thought they were other members of the JL)

No Caption Provided

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: True, and its also a great example of the difference between the Marvel and DC. Like what aros said, Marvel is more realistic and show how real life people would react while DC show how we'd like it to be.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio: Yea, I think more people need to frame DC like that. That is, so many (or so it seems) label DC as being too goody-goody (what with most heroes not killing etc), when it's really an ideal/goal/dream....and I think it's good to have dreams. (On a similar note, DC generally seems to be a little more futurist too, and that could explain more "forward thinking". Marvel's got it's share of tech-geniuses, but in-terms of the whole world, DCs seems a bit more advanced than our own (which Marvel is closer to)).

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would think so

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in New 52.

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

easily

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

@the_stegman said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, the DC public actually loved the Avengers when they came (though to be fair, they just thought they were other members of the JL)

No Caption Provided

Well that makes total sense, if I lived in the DCU, I would think they were Justice League members too!!

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

No Caption Provided

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers