#1 Posted by MasterAction (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure many of you have heard this question before but I needed a definitive answer on the topic. Did Windu have the necessary skills to fully best Sidious? The movie seems to hint yes but I want to know what you think. Could Windu have won?

#2 Posted by Wolfrazer (4946 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, at best they were fighting at a stalemate saber skill wise. But Sidious could have just killed Mace with his superior force skills.

#3 Posted by Havenless (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

Nope, at best they were fighting at a stalemate saber skill wise. But Sidious could have just killed Mace with his superior force skills.

I seem to remember Palpatine laying down on a window ledge, out of breath and helpless and Mace was about to go in for the killing blow.

#4 Edited by Wolfrazer (4946 posts) - - Show Bio
@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

I seem to remember Palpatine laying down on a window ledge, out of breath and helpless and Mace was about to go in for the killing blow.

Was because Anakin(indirectly) gave him the edge, as he used Anakin's fear to overpower Sidious as the former was approaching. Before that however, they were fighting as equals.
#5 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

I was always under the impression that Sidious could have beaten him in the duel before Anakin showed up, but he wanted Anakin to help him to finish his transformation into his apprentice.

#7 Posted by Xwraith (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to remember Battlefront II saying yes.

#8 Posted by Bruxae (9262 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

I was always under the impression that Sidious could have beaten him in the duel before Anakin showed up, but he wanted Anakin to help him to finish his transformation into his apprentice.

This, I felt like it was part of the masterplan.

#9 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidious stalemated Yoda who is the most powerful Jedi in the movie universe. So Palpatine could have won but chose not to in order to turn Anakin over to the dark side.

#10 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

everyone keeps saying he wanted anakin to turn and thus waited till he showed up, but seriously? who the heck is almost dying waiting for someone to come by just to turn them? what I saw wasn't what most people tend to tell. I've never seen any indication Palpatine was stalemating on purpose or something

#11 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

#12 Posted by Wolfrazer (4946 posts) - - Show Bio

Already answered that Jn.

#13 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

My heart says Yes, my brain says No.

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

everyone keeps saying he wanted anakin to turn and thus waited till he showed up, but seriously? who the heck is almost dying waiting for someone to come by just to turn them? what I saw wasn't what most people tend to tell. I've never seen any indication Palpatine was stalemating on purpose or something

Sidious is the most powerful Sith ever and (excluding the likes of Abeloth and the Bedlam Spirits) the second most powerful Force user. He would have known that Anakin was approaching and could have used TK to knock Mace of the ledge if it became necessary.

#15 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Sidious stalemated Yoda who is the most powerful Jedi in the movie universe. So Palpatine could have won but chose not to in order to turn Anakin over to the dark side.

Sidious beat Yoda.

#16 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so. Yoda stalemated him and because he couldn't beat Palpatine he had to go into hiding. If you watch the cutscene after the fight you'll see.

#17 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Not so. Yoda stalemated him and because he couldn't beat Palpatine he had to go into hiding. If you watch the cutscene after the fight you'll see.

No, Yoda lost, its elaborated upon in the novelization - which IIRC was edited by George Lucas making it the highest class of canon. Plus, if Yoda had a chance to end one of the biggest evils the universe has ever seen, don't you think he would take it?

#18 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll take your word on it though I do sense a blatant contradiction between novelization and movie.

#19 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: I beg to differ, the movie never confirmed anything :)

#20 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

lets see Yoda and Palpatine duel. Palpatine shows himself equal. Yoda retreats. Guards come. Yoda escapes. If Palpatine was superior then he would have defeated Yoda. Yoda had to retreat because the overwhelming numbers and equal opponent would conquer him...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether it is a blatant contradiction.

#21 Edited by Binski (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like to think of anything from the new trilogy beating anything from the old trilogy and the Emperor was playing possum with Nick Fury otherwise ol Samuel would of lost I'd think.

#22 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Except it never outright says whether Yoda and Sidious were equals or whether one was superior, the events that transpired are not confirmation either way. The reason the two battled for so long is because Yoda does come close to Sidious.

#23 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I concede. Your view does make sense.(Remember this well cause this hardly ever happens LOL).

#24 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995:

:P

#25 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Havenless said:

@Wolfrazer said:

#26 Posted by Inphase (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidious waited for Anakins arrival, and, through innuendo initiated his test to join the dark side. I think if the situation was different, and Anakin chose to help Windu, Sidious would have killed both of them.

#27 Posted by SmoothJammin (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

triangle theories are irrelevant sometimes though, styles make fights

#28 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

*leaves thread before fanboys arrive*

#29 Posted by Owie (3298 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidious was playing possum until Anakin killed Windu, forcing Anakin past the point of no return and fulfilling the Emperor's strategy.

#30 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio