Worth it to start reading the main Avengers ongoing?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I am fairly new to comics. I've been reading trades for about 2 years (mostly Batman) and only in the past 6 months or so have gotten into ongoing comics.

The Avengers titles I currently have are Uncanny Avengers and New Avengers. I just dropped Avengers Assemble this week as I just recently found out that Kelly DeConnick got dropped from the title. I wish now I started with the main Avengers title but I heard mixed opinions on it and never jumped on. The only issue I've read from that series is #1 a while back and I enjoyed it very much though I understood very little of what was going on.

Is it worth it to just jump on that title at this point? I don't want to buy all the back issues beforehand as I already have a ton of titles in my pull list, along with a trade every week. Will I be lost if I jump on this next issue?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Extremis

Oh, and this is my quasi-introduction to the ComicVine community I guess. So hello all you Viners out there!

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

@extremis: A new sort of story arc I think begins in the next issue, so I think you should pick it up. It's a good title, but I don't really think the whole mega team is so smart, it becomes to much. I recommend Uncanny Avengers or New Avengers as well, if not more. I don't recommend Secret Avengers as much, though!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

To me, New Avengers is much better, the current Avengers is...blah.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Binski

I'm picking it up and I'm liking it it also goes well with New Avengers, but my favorite Avengers title out now is Uncanny Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I'm enjoying it but so far there hasn't been as much focus on the Avengers as I expected. Its been more about a group of cosmic beings so far.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I'm enjoying it but so far there hasn't been as much focus on the Avengers as I expected. Its been more about a group of cosmic beings so far.

Which is why I don't like it, besides Green Lantern, I don't like cosmic stories (even though GL is usually about the Lanterns and how they deal than with just abstract cosmic entities)

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Dreadmaster

I love Avengers and New Avengers under Hickman. He's writing some kind of epic with those two. I'd suggest picking up in trade as I feel it reads better than single issue. My two cents.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@extremis: Kelly Sue hasn't been dropped, she's just taking a break from it and leaving the Age Of Ultron issues to someone else. She's back on with #16 for the Enemy Within mini-event. :)

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the Avengers titles are good, you can't go wrong.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

I like Uncanny & New. I have yet to like Avengers but I keep reading it because I'm still holding on to hope my opinion will change one day.

But try out Avengers, maybe you'll like it.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By fury714

@dabee said:

All of the Avengers titles are good, you can't go wrong.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I think I'll just jump on with this weeks issue and sort out the rest later. I like that it's a bi-monthly title.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Extremis

@v_scarlotte_rose: hey thanks for the info! I definitely like DeConnick on Avengers Assemble so that's great to hear. Any info on this enemy within mini-event?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@extremis: Yeah, It's a five issue arc, The Enemy Within one shot, Avengers Assemble #16, Captain Marvel #13, Avengers Assemble #17, Captain Marvel #14, in that order.

There's an article here with quotes from Kelly Sue DeConnick about the story. And my own thread about it here. The covers for the issues are in my thread too. :)

Here are the solicits for some clues:

Avengers: The Enemy Within #1
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W) • SCOTT HEPBURN (A)
Cover BY JOE QUINONES
Variant Cover by Milo Manara
THE OPENING SALVO TO THE HOTLY ANTICIPATED AVENGERS/CAPTAIN MARVEL FOUR PART EVENT!
• Can’t keep a good Captain down!
• Vicious echoes of the Avengers’ past are cropping up all over Manhattan…and a grounded Captain Marvel refuses to be left behind.
• Who is the sinister figure behind these incursions and what does it have to do with Carol Danvers’ mysterious condition?
• But is this villain real or just a figment of Captain Marvel’s increasingly deadly imagination?
32 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ ...$2.99

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #16
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W) • MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
Variant cover by AMANDA CONNOR
THE ENEMY WITHIN: PART 2 OF 5
- Who wants YOU for dinner? The Brood!
- Spider Woman & Captain Marvel declare war on the Magnetron! (Who?)
- Hawkeye has a bright idea!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL #13
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W) • SCOTT HEPBURN (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
Variant Cover by AMANDA CONNER
THE ENEMY WITHIN: PART 3 OF 5
• A villain revealed! Magnitron’s sinister plans are finally unveiled!
• What is the link between Captain Marvel and Magnitron?
• PLUS: Kree Sentries?!
• The Avengers Assemble in the most pivotal event in Captain Marvel’s history!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #17
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W)
MATTEO BUFFAGNI (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
Variant cover by AMANDA CONNOR
Part 4 of 5 of THE ENEMY WITHIN
• With the world quite literally ripping apart at the seams, and the Avengers scattered...how much longer can Captain Marvel fend off the madness of the Magnitron...?
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL #14
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W)
SCOTT HEPBURN (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
Variant COVER BY AMANDA CONNER
Part 5 of 5 of THE ENEMY WITHIN
• THE CONCLUSION TO THE HARROWING FIVE-PART CAPTAIN MARVEL/AVENGERS ASSEMBLE EVENT IS HERE!
• CAPTAIN MARVEL WILL END MAGNITRON’S REIGN.
• NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES.
• NO. MATTER. WHAT.
• IT’S A DEADLY FLIGHT TO THE FINISH!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

Start reading it from the start it's Johnathan Hickman he always has a long plan for all of his stories it is a good book some slightly iffy issues but on the whole it's really good but like I said it's a slow book also expect cosmic stuff in it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis

First off, welcome to the Vine! (Also, wow, NO ONE's tried using the username Extremis this entire time?)

I'm enjoying the Avengers, but the thing to keep in mind is that Hickman likes to slowly build up to a payoff. Avengers is a bit of an acquired taste, since there's a lot of buildup and not that much payoff yet, but I'm holding out for an explosive conclusion eventually.