Worst retcon in comics?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Tell what you considder the worst retcon in comics, and why?

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

One More Day, Resurrection of Jason Todd, the New 52 reboot.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Beyond error. I think almost everyone would agree to that. He hasn't just been retconned once, it's been a few times. That's crazy considering he has so few storylines.

The power of the Infinity Gems has also been retconned a couple of times. That would be number two for me.

Avatar image for kamenriderhellhound
KamenRiderHellhound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ONE MORE DAY and SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Identity Crisis or Maxwell Lord being evil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Jason Todd coming back. Not because he came back, but HOW he came back...really? Punching reality??

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd coming back. Not because he came back, but HOW he came back...really? Punching reality??

I'm glad they didn't use that in the Under the Red Hood movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

No Caption Provided

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Question being turned into some sort of ancient mystical being. Bronze Tiger becoming some sort of werecat thing. Non mainstream characters really got it the worst.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RetconCrisis

Finally, I get to put my name to use.

DC's would be Identity Crisis or New 52/Flashpoint

Both I felt were totally unneeded, and, if they were needed, were executed poorly in my opinion.

Marvel's would be One More Day

Just... just no.

(Flashpoint Paradox animated adaptation was awesome, though still not worth it for the whole New 52 reboot)

@xwraith said:

@the_stegman said:

I'm glad they didn't use that in the Under the Red Hood movie.

That would've probably ruined a bit of my enjoyment of the movie...

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barry Allen's mother being murdered.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Geoff. Johns' Superman Secret Origin. It took the place of the PERFECT Superman origin story for a vastly vastly inferior one. Which isn't to say it was bad, but Birthright was the perfect Superman origin. There was no reason for SO to happen

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I only know of One More Day. I'll take everyone's word on Jason Todd though. I thought Flashpoint was a good story though. I'm not a huge fan of DC so I only have heard how bad the NU52 is. (+)

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One More Day

The Entire New 52

Identity Crisis

The Xorn/Magneto Debacle

Superman Secret Origin

The Beyonder

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#16  Edited By Outside_85
No Caption Provided

Parallax. Hal Jordan did not loose his mind over grief and a sense of powerlessness because his home town was nuked along with everyone in it to go on a self-destructive rampage, you know, like an actual human being might.

Nope, he lost his mind because he had a giant yellow space-bug infecting his brain.

And it's bad because there was nothing to suggest, before Johns came on board, that this entity even existed, not even when Hal was the near omnipotent Spectre and 'oddly enough' not mentioned or addressed when Hal went to Oa to kill Sinestro and most of the Guardians. Parallax was invented to redeem Hal Jordan, and Johns had to shake the whole GL tree in order to do so.

Avatar image for darthdestructor
DarthDestructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definetly ONE MORE DAY. Spidey went down from there.

They give you something interesting for possibilties, like unmasked Peter, and then went back, with devils, retcons, Aunt May exchange for Marriage (damn Peter - I know you love her, but she's very old. She will still die. Don't wast your love for MJ).

And...that.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By waezi2

No Caption Provided

Parallax. Hal Jordan did not loose his mind over grief and a sense of powerlessness because his home town was nuked along with everyone in it to go on a self-destructive rampage, you know, like an actual human being might.

Nope, he lost his mind because he had a giant yellow space-bug infecting his brain.

And it's bad because there was nothing to suggest, before Johns came on board, that this entity even existed, not even when Hal was the near omnipotent Spectre and 'oddly enough' not mentioned or addressed when Hal went to Oa to kill Sinestro and most of the Guardians. Parallax was invented to redeem Hal Jordan, and Johns had to shake the whole GL tree in order to do so.

I've been saying that for years.

And ir was even more unnecessary considered that he had been redeem already.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

One More Day. It was a complete waste of time and a giant middle finger to the Spider-Man mythos.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

New 52 Captain Marvel

I feel like while Geoff Johns set up some good story elements and mythos building he missed the point of the character.

deathmedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any time they make a character black or gay. to me its un-creative and weak attempt to pander to those groups, but in the end it comes off as insulting to said groups and alienates the existing fan base.

Creating new characters for that is what they need to do like earth 2 superman.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Captain Marvel

I feel like while Geoff Johns set up some good story elements and mythos building he missed the point of the character.

He do get him. He actually wrote Captain Marvel pretty well in JSA. He just decided that he should be a giant baby now because... I dont know!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@waezi2 said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

New 52 Captain Marvel

He do get him. He actually wrote Captain Marvel pretty well in JSA. He just decided that he should be a giant baby now because... I dont know!

Maybe it's because a big part of the New 52 is making character who fit into movies better, and they wanted a new version of the character who could be darker and fit better on screen.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black September. Take a fun, different universe, break it down... and 'Marvelize' it.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Havenless

"In a moment we're about to make tens of thousands of canonically-linked comic books completely irrelevant.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... the NEW 52!

Trust me, it's a really good idea because comic sales will spike for a few months. The reaction will be negative, but our devoted audeince will buy them anyway."

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Wonder Woman's New 52 origin.

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcjr: I agree. He is too powerful to be an inhuman and the infinity gems didnt need to be change.

One more day and mikaboshi was wack too.

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85 I feel like Marz's run was sorancidthat fans were just happy for anything. Of course Emerald Twilight was garbage, but the stuff like Final Night, Judgment day and JM's Spectre series were heartfelt and touching. There was a way to retire Hal like Barry and it would have been perfect. Johns couldn't handle this so instead he created a cop out fear entity that obviated Hal's responsibility while at the same time failing to deal with the complex moral and emotional issues. Still, Johns wins by default because everything Post COIC was garbage on GL. (sarcasm) Yeah) end sarcasm.

DarthDestructor I know, he basically made a deal with Satan so his Aunt who was and old would live a few more years. And he gave up his marriage to the woman he loved for what? So we could go back to JJJ calling him a menace. You know as much as I hate BMB killing Ultimate Spidey and shoving in Moran, I like how the characters have developed. JJJ isn't a one note joke, May slaps captain America because she feels he disrespected her son, this instead of being so frail she cannot handle anything.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gwen Stacey having sex with Norman Osborne.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One More Day
Superman Secret Origin
Beyonder
Spectre too , i heard he's no longer wrath of God but just an Angry Ghost?

Easternwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Identity Crisis
  • One More Day
  • The IG Now being non Multiversal
Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zarius

As stupid as it is, I'm not as upset as I used to be about OMD, mainly because Peter and MJ have remained happily married in the newspaper comics in all the years since it's publication, so it did'nt really accomplish a thing if you know where to look. All it did was convince me MC2's Spider-Girl timeline was the real ending for Peter and 616 is just a glorified parody fanfic.

-Implying Metallo killed Bruce Wayne's parents. Not something that stuck all that long thankfully, but...yeah, let's not try and turn the death of the Waynes into some complex mystery with mutliple layers. Leave it as the random act of violence by a petty crook that it is.

-Alicia Masters is a skrull. Johnny has only gone further and further backwards in maturity since then, where as with Alicia he felt focused and was on target emotionally. Mind you, I do 'ship Johnny and Lyja a lot and am glad they stayed together in the MC2 canon.

-Peter's parents being cyborg killers created by Harry Osborn and The Chamelion. The one good thing it led to was Chamelion losing his marbles.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10