#1 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

2012 marks another interesting year for Marvel comics. By interesting, that mostly means that Marvel managed to piss a lot of its readers off. Whether it was the death of Peter Parker, or the drastic change to the character of Cyclops, Marvel seemed to have more bad than good this year. Here is one of the worst moments I have had the displeasure to from Marvel this year:

Nightclops kills Xavier

To some this might fall on the " omg i totally did not see that coming until i totally saw that coming" category, but in my opinion that is not only what makes it one of the worst than being just predictable. For you see, there was no reason to kill off Xavier. The choice to kill off Xavier came from the fact that the character has not done anything relevant in recent years and in a way, the franchise has outgrown him. To kill someone off who has a very established history with the characters and mythos of a franchise simply because you could not figure out what to do with him/her for the past few years just equals to incredibly lazy writing. It also does not help that the character you plan to kill off has either died or been M.I.A multiple times only to come back later on. So for him to be shoehorned into s big event and to die in a very predictable way not only loses any emotional impact but also leaves the reader taking bets at what point in time will Xavier be alive again, especially seeing as how comic book deaths from Marvel and Dc have become somewhat of a joke. A very much hyped and "shocking" death that left its readers who had no choice but to read your big incredibly mediocre event, amazingly letdown. And now the x-men have officially adopted an annoying anti-Cyke attitude thanks to this death. Thanks, Bendis.

So come and share your thoughts on what you thought were some of the worst moments of Marvel comics of 2012.

#2 Posted by judasnixon (5447 posts) - - Show Bio

Coloss-a-naut you dumb ass helmet wearing redundant mother f***er!!!

#3 Posted by The_Tree (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

Colossus' whales with legs in AvX.

#4 Posted by jwalser3 (4412 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Colossus' whales with legs in AvX.

That was bad? I freaking loved it!

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Coloss-a-naut you dumb ass helmet wearing redundant mother f***er!!!

This.

#6 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Illyana's resurrection precede 2012? An incredibly powerful mutant who can teleport anywhere, anywhen and demon sorceress who can't work magic on Earth other than to destroy any spell or spellcaster and accidentally summon indestructible mystic armor. Stuck in the unaging body of a 14 yr old girl. Brilliant. Just let her rest in peace, already.

#7 Edited by judasnixon (5447 posts) - - Show Bio

What the $h!t is this? Are you just f***ing with us now? What dick hole thought this up?

616 Nick Fury Jr. 
#8 Posted by Dernman (14014 posts) - - Show Bio
@judasnixon said:
What the $h!t is this? Are you just f***ing with us now? What dick hole thought this up?
616 Nick Fury Jr. 
I concur.
#9 Edited by Dernman (14014 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole Doc Ock and Peter Parker issue # 300 switcheroo.

#10 Edited by judasnixon (5447 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: They need to change his name to Captain F***ing Shoehorned.....
#11 Posted by Sharkbite (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I thought the death of Xavier was highly appropriate to the storyline. Not just for the AvX portion, but to the X-Men as a whole. Seriously, Scott was calling the shots all through Utopia with Xavier just kinda floating on the fringes. Then during Schism, Xavier just fails to weigh in when his word would have potentially been the most meaningful, and Wolverine starts up a new school as headmaster when Xavier is still alive and kicking? It is too hard to show the growth of both Cyclops and Wolverine vying for real leadership, not just as Field Leader but the actual figurehead of mutantkind and the controlling force of the future, if they're both supposed to be listening to Chuck. And having Charles just sit everything out and say nothing while the mutant race and his dream are both under attack, waaaay too out of character for Xavier. Killing Xavier was the best way to be able to move forward without belittling the character of Xavier with the sheer amount of inaction he had performed.

For me, the most terrible move of 2012 was Captain America's smug "I told you so" to Cyclops while he was in prison. Cap caused Cyclops to be possessed by a cosmic entity against his will, when Cyclops practically went to war over his beliefs that nobody except Hope (including himself) could handle it. Then Cyclops is controlled by the Phoenix as he knew it would dominate any other host, and it even forces him to kill one of his closest friends. Finally, when Hope does take the Phoenix just as Cyclops had instructed all along, everything works out fine because Cyclops's plan was correct. And after Cap was the cause of all these problems, he had the audacity to blame Cyclops, the victim, when if he had just listened to Cyclops the whole thing would have been avoided.

AvX: How to turn a patriotic hero into a stubborn, ignorant control freak in only 12 issues.

#12 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sharkbite said:

Personally, I thought the death of Xavier was highly appropriate to the storyline.

It would had been even more appropriate if Xavier had been relevant to the actual story instead of just appearing at the very end to die

#13 Posted by Dernman (14014 posts) - - Show Bio
@arnoldoaad: Not to mention just coming back from the dead not to long ago IIRC.
#14 Posted by judasnixon (5447 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Loeb's run on Wolverine that had all the charm of a stillborn baby....

Only an A-hole like Daniel Way would think of making a more Wolverine-ish Wolverine is a good idea.
#15 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Only an A-hole like Daniel Way would think of making a more Wolverine-ish Wolverine is a good idea.

Not to mention the bullspirte revelation that Wolverine came up with the idea for Weapon X.

#16 Posted by Strider92 (15262 posts) - - Show Bio

All of AvX

#17 Posted by DalekDoctor2011 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: issue #698-700 you mean

#18 Posted by DalekDoctor2011 (201 posts) - - Show Bio

Daken dying.....twice!!!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel just sucks

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Hey mate, let's watch the language please!

#21 Posted by JakeN7 (4837 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

All of AvX

I agree although issue #6 of the main series was pretty damn good. I also enjoyed a lot of the battles especially Hawkeye vs Angel and Spider-Man vs Colossus.

#22 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man #700 (the entire last story-arc really).

#23 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole damn year.

#24 Posted by Daycrawler (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

The whole damn year.

Yeah, Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, Hawkeye, X-Factor, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery, Brian Wood on X-Men, Marvel Now era Avengers, Indestructible Hulk, All New X-Men, etc have all sucked. Marvel may as well give up with all those failures. They can't get anything right.

#25 Posted by TheCannon (16077 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daycrawler said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

The whole damn year.

Yeah, Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, Hawkeye, X-Factor, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Journey Into Mystery, Brian Wood on X-Men, Marvel Now era Avengers, Indestructible Hulk, All New X-Men, etc have all sucked. Marvel may as well give up with all those failures. They can't get anything right.

I may have been a bit hyperbolic, but, um, excuse me for my bluntness. Were your listings sarcastic or did you actually think they sucked ?

#27 Posted by Daycrawler (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@Daycrawler said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

The whole damn year.

I may have been a bit hyperbolic, but, um, excuse me for my bluntness. Were your listings sarcastic or did you actually think they sucked ?

Just being sarcastic. Couldn't resist. There's a lot that Marvel have got wrong in the past year, but there's also a lot they've got completely right (in my opinion anyways). I think that AvX pissed a lot of people off and they've had an unfair downer on Marvel ever since. To be honest I rather enjoyed AvX and it was at least waaaay better the Fear Itself. Plus the fallout from AvX is leading into some pretty good stuff.

#28 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daycrawler: Ah. I see. Lol. Well it's nice to see someone other than myself appreciate Brian Wood's X-Men for the hidden gem it was, and regarding listed titles, i'm not exactly a fan of All N00B X-Men tbh. It is a sh*t.

I will admit that generalizing the whole damn year was due to my disdain for AvX, as i didn't like the direction in which things took after the P5 were introduced but i do not think the 'downer' (if i'm interpreting things correctly) is unfair. With a plot and structure like that, they had just about everything coming. But you're right, it has given way for some good titles, just that the execution was fairly horrible, and I (speaking for myself) had to live through what seemed like a decade of it.

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (32259 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@judasnixon said:
616 Nick Fury Jr.
I concur.
#30 Posted by Jake Fury (17924 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

All of AvX

This guy has the answers.

#31 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Still better than the dark knight rises.

#32 Posted by Jean199999 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

@TheCannon said:

You guys have high standards, I like them both. It was good entertainment.

#33 Posted by Prodigy P (147 posts) - - Show Bio
I'm still not sure who smoked what to come up with this.
#34 Posted by TheCannon (16077 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

@TheCannon said:

LMFAO. You're funny.

#35 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jean199999 said:

@x_29 said:

@TheCannon said:

You guys have high standards, I like them both. It was good entertainment.

Both movies are genuinely entertaining. Its just as where i thought the amazing spider-man was a solid spidey film, I thought the dark knight rises was a passable batman film. Its a case where one film surprised me and the other disappointed me when i started to think about it.

#36 Posted by Spawn92 (278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Prodigy P said:

I'm still not sure who smoked what to come up with this.

Wait? This is STILL happening!?!?! I though Marvel was done with this Dark Reign crap... oh wait.... SUPERIOR SPIDERMAN

#37 Posted by Prodigy P (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@Spawn92: They expanded the roster and continued the Dark Avengers series. Not only do they think we still need "Dark" Avengers, they somehow think they should include a fake Scarlet Witch who's blonde and has no connection whatsover to the original.

#38 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I can't believe they made a storyline about Wolverine creating Weapon X! Why would they state that Wolverine created a program that tortured him for most of his life?