#1 Posted by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the worst gimmick in comic history?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (43585 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl beating opponents that are leagues above her in strength, speed, and skill. It's just grating to see her do it all the time.

#3 Posted by Danvader64 (254 posts) - - Show Bio

cough" AvX "cough

#4 Edited by Wolfrazer (7158 posts) - - Show Bio

Death....over used gimmick that doesn't last. Which brings the question of, if at 1st when the character died and they actually stuck to their guns and then brought in a new character to show, would people accept it better? I'd think so...

#5 Posted by RDClip (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Death....over used gimmick that doesn't last. Which brings the question of, if at 1st when the character died and they actually stuck to their guns and then brought in a new character to show, would people accept it better? I'd think so...

This

Death in comic should have an impact on the reader, but now no one buys it anymore because death in comics is like stubbing a toe. Sure it you feel it when it heppens, but you know it isn't a big deal and and a bit, everything will be back to normal.

#6 Edited by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

Life !!! Ppl live to much in comics !! Like dang... Die sometimes !

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Death in comics is becoming a joke since they keep killing off so many characters, only to bring them back to life the next issue.

2. Too many events lately. I wouldn't mind a good event here and there, but lately, I've been seeing too many events coming out and less character development for these events.

#8 Edited by Extremis (3361 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabbitearsblog: #2 - bang! Nail right on the head. As a newish comic reader I feel overwhelmed with a company like Marvel with one event going on while they are promoting the next one. The only event I'm excited for is Unity over in Valiant. Now there's a company beyond gimmicks, making quality books and having characters cross paths only when it comes about naturally. Valiant is a company that really knows what they are doing and are well planned out. I surmise an event for them will have an actual meaning that will make lasting impactful results throughout all the titles for years, and not be drowned out by some other event coming right around the corner. Less is more. One event every couple years or so leaves more room to develop upon any established changes in the status quo among characters/mythologies/storylines/etc.

#9 Posted by i_like_swords (15744 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to be more won over by companies like Image and Valiant. Not a ton of events. Lots of character development. No gimmicks like death for the sake of sales. There's a few Marvel books I still pick up but I think I'm okay with missing infinity.

#10 Posted by Royal_Rumble_Man (513 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole 'our world is similar to real life on real earth' bit

#11 Posted by judasnixon (6648 posts) - - Show Bio

Sticking Batman and Wolverine in every book. I remember back in the day Wolverine was only in two books. One X-men tittle and his solo book. That A-hole is everywhere now! Don't get me started on Batman. How many Tittles does that dick have coming out ever month? Throwing a popular character in a book doesn't make it a good book.

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6417 posts) - - Show Bio

Sticking Batman and Wolverine in every book. I remember back in the day Wolverine was only in two books. One X-men tittle and his solo book. That A-hole is everywhere now! Don't get me started on Batman. How many Tittles does that dick have coming out ever month? Throwing a popular character in a book doesn't make it a good book.

I kind of think that would be a good rule to apply to every character. It would force creators to choose lesserknown characters for teams, leading to those characters becoming more developed.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (43585 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon Wolverine isn't in that many titles. Your exaggerating.

#14 Edited by snyderman567 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl beating opponents that are leagues above her in strength, speed, and skill. It's just grating to see her do it all the time.

So this!

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio
@extremis said:

@rabbitearsblog: #2 - bang! Nail right on the head. As a newish comic reader I feel overwhelmed with a company like Marvel with one event going on while they are promoting the next one. The only event I'm excited for is Unity over in Valiant. Now there's a company beyond gimmicks, making quality books and having characters cross paths only when it comes about naturally. Valiant is a company that really knows what they are doing and are well planned out. I surmise an event for them will have an actual meaning that will make lasting impactful results throughout all the titles for years, and not be drowned out by some other event coming right around the corner. Less is more. One event every couple years or so leaves more room to develop upon any established changes in the status quo among characters/mythologies/storylines/etc.

I definitely agree with this! That's why I read more independent comics than Marvel and DC because at least they rarely get caught up in any kind of events and actually allow the characters to develop. If Marvel just stop doing events for awhile, they can actually find the time to really develop the characters whenever a big change happens.

#16 Edited by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by ZenRazor (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol Hulk fans (Gets stronger everytime he gets mad) Lol never gets old.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@zenrazor said:

Lol Hulk fans (Gets stronger everytime he gets mad) Lol never gets old.

yes, it's a f*cking awesome gimmick :P

#19 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

FIRST POST ON COMICVINE.. but anyway, I get annoyed when I see political agenda in my comics.

#20 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Killing off D list characters for no reason.

#21 Edited by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: Stilt-Man's death.

It served no purpose and followed after a story in which the character quit being a villain anyway.

#24 Posted by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: Yes.

It adds to the pointlessness of the whole thing IMO. It's not like we as the audience didn't know that Punisher killed random criminals for no good reason. It didn't make him look bad ass or any more crazy than usual. It was so pointless. I can't stress that enough.

#26 Posted by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: I understand, I hated that terra got killed so many times in dc

#27 Posted by Royal_Rumble_Man (513 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: likewise, with their tech they ought to be in the space age

#28 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

FIRST POST ON COMICVINE.. but anyway, I get annoyed when I see political agenda in my comics.

I usually don't mind political themes in comics, as long as they are trying to tell the viewpoint from both sides. But, if the political viewpoint is only being told from one side, but not allowing the other side to say their views, then I get annoyed with the political themes in the comics.

#29 Posted by krunkeela (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Squirrel Girl from what I've read.