• 87 results
#1 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

So what would you say it's THE worst event you've read ? Remember guys, explaining is where the fun's at.

As for me ? Shadowland, most deffinitely.

Here was the chance to give an incredibly fresh, incredibly different take and angle on events, only to deliver the most idiotic, absurd piece of crossover storytelling Marvel has ever produced, sure, give us a one-dimensional Daredevil, have him suck off the hellfire from goddamn Ghost Rider, destroy continuity by putting a perfectly healed Punisher, bring Wolverine in for absolutely no reason, and finish it all with a "positive chi" punch from Iron Fist, really ? REALLY ?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Spideys One more Day..........do I really have to explain??

#3 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear Itself. 

There is no background for any of the threats and as Blurred View points out in his reviews for the series, it's the comic book equivalent of a blockbuster movie.
#4 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with Shadowland too...

#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

From a DC point I would say Our Worlds at War.  Characters killed for no real reason, no resolution to the story.  Pointless crossovers. 
#6 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

Necrosha was horrible.

#7 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Yeah, Shadowland sucked big time.
#8 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Invasion

#9 Posted by ChrisAngel (3955 posts) - - Show Bio

New Ways to Die...
#10 Posted by ChrisAngel (3955 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kairan1979 said:

Necrosha was horrible.

I might agree, if the storyline hadn't brought back Cypher, who I always liked as a character.
#11 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Crisis. Fear Itself seems too be looking more like a waste of cash.....

@ChrisAngel said:

New Ways to Die...
This was more of a story-arc within a series. Not an event onto itself.
#12 Posted by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Crisis 

#13 Edited by ChrisAngel (3955 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling:  

Yet it becomes an event (in my opinion) by the fact that it intended to implement a potential game changing character in Anti-Venom. Seriously, think about it. A character that has the ability to potentially eliminate Spider-Man's powers completely. Pretty much has a hand in taking out the Mac Gargan version of Venom. Pretty much a big deal if you look at it right.
#14 Edited by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@ChrisAngel:  Yeah but you didn't have to buy another title to get the "full" story. Also events usually affect every major character.
#15 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Weeeeeeeeeeell, there are always exceptions to the rule X-D !
#16 Posted by Stuka69 (117 posts) - - Show Bio

The Secret Invasion, Dark reign and Siege unholy and unsatisfying trinity of sucky events...

#17 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMS
Final Crisis 
#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty Did you not like Prelude because you felt it was so slow-paced? That was my only gripe with it, otherwise I felt it was very well-written (and please no Schism spoilers, I still haven't read it).
#20 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man Clone Saga and Maximum Carnage were also huge, huge let downs

Does anyone remember the nonsense with the plot leak for Armageddon 2001, With the Hawk and Captain Atom debacle, that was pretty crazy

A personal gripe was Onslaught...that had way too many books involved, and the story wasn't even that gripping

#22 Posted by daredevil21134 (10833 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Crisis and Shadowland

#23 Posted by Renchamp (2286 posts) - - Show Bio

The Phalanx Covenant. Did they really need Forge to cry? Did they need Life Signs to take four books? Did they need to introduce Generation X with a slow-moving, over-done, over-explained crap-fest?

#24 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:

Dark Avengers / Uncanny X-Men: Utopia .

I'd have to say that.  
Just reading the name made me feel like their was a chunk of glass stuck in my abdomen.
Gosh everything about that was just ugly.
#25 Posted by RisingBean (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

As a youngin', Fatal attractions. The fact Magneto effortlessly destroyed Adamantium now, after years of avoiding doing it struck me as stupid. PIS would be the acceptable term now. What we got as a result was a Wolverine whose claws were not adamanium, but were able to still cut steel. Lame. It was the final nail in the coffin for me as my interest began to wane and within a year I had dropped reading comics.  

Nowadays. Ultimatum. I was at a Barnes and Noble, happened into the trades area and began to skim. What caught my eye were the Ultimate universe stories. Cap kicking the Hulk in the nuts was the point I said "Time to blow some cash." and began in earnest. I didn't agree with every rebooted idea but it wasn't until Loeb stuck his hand into it that I felt out and out disrespected.
#26 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
@xerox-kitty Did you not like Prelude because you felt it was so slow-paced? That was my only gripe with it, otherwise I felt it was very well-written (and please no Schism spoilers, I still haven't read it).
You can't say Prelude to Schism was slow-paced... For that to be true it would first have to HAVE a pace... Which, clearly, it didn't...
-Where's Scott?
- Over there by the big window brooding...
- Can't blame him, it's going to be bad.
- Yeah, real bad.
- Sooooo freaking bad...
- Yep, bad is the word... A bad we've never ever seen before... A bad so bad even Wolverine and Namor don't think we can win... 
- Yeah...That's BAD...
- REAL bad...
3 issues later
- We're going to stay and fight! 

There, I just summed up the entirety of Prelude to schism...  And as everyone now knows, they spent four issues talking about how "bad" it will be to fight.... sigh... sentinels...
If prelude DOESN'T end up being the worst story arc ever, it will at least make the top of the "Most Recycled Storr Arc" ever...
#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm LOL! concise summary xD
#28 Posted by The Umbra Sorcerer (8130 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many that sucked, but what makes this one suck for me was the last issue... Final Crisis... only because issue 6 should have been like 6 more issues.

#30 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

- One More Day
- Shadowland
- First to Last
- Age of X

#31 Edited by The Stegman (23033 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimatum without a doubt followed by Fear Itself, then rounded off with Siege 

#32 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feliciano2040 said:
So what would you say it's THE worst event you've read ? Remember guys, explaining is where the fun's at.  As for me ? Shadowland, most deffinitely.  Here was the chance to give an incredibly fresh, incredibly different take and angle on events, only to deliver the most idiotic, absurd piece of crossover storytelling Marvel has ever produced, sure, give us a one-dimensional Daredevil, have him suck off the hellfire from goddamn Ghost Rider, destroy continuity by putting a perfectly healed Punisher, bring Wolverine in for absolutely no reason, and finish it all with a "positive chi" punch from Iron Fist, really ? REALLY ?
This was so bad that I could only read the first few issues, all in store because after he Killed Bullseye I REFUSED to put my hard earned money down. As far as DC goes  Rise of Arsenal...holy shite, to this day I say Mo' Flush J.T. Krul for that crock of gobshite!!!
#33 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm:  
What didn't you like about Age of X, personally I thought it was an okay event. I wasn't wowed by it though. 
#34 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe people are saying Final Crisis, that's like "Beethoven's fifth is the worst piece of music I've ever heard"; it's just bewlidering.
The correct answer is;

SIEGE.

Siege #1
#35 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I can't believe people are saying Final Crisis

Apparently Grant Morrison does nothing wrong huh ?

Though I wouldn't put it anywhere near a bad events list, we have to be fair, Final Crisis is insanely difficult to read.

@JonesDeini said:
This was so bad that I could only read the first few issues, all in store because after he Killed Bullseye I REFUSED to put my hard earned money down. As far as DC goes  Rise of Arsenal...holy shite, to this day I say Mo' Flush J.T. Krul for that crock of gobshite!!!
It started amazingly, promising SO MUCH, only to end up as the goddam gutter work of event comic books.
#36 Edited by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

As I rarely read event comics, I'm going to say the entire Clone Saga.  And for once, it's not just because I HATE Spidey(btw, a part of me cheered when ultimate spidey died)  It was an unnecessarily drawn-out event that constantly left me wondering what the hell was going on(specifically in Maximum Clonage).  Just.. everything about the Clona Saga makes my head hurt.  Chances are Shadowland will be burned into my brain soon, as I'm reading it out of curiosity.    

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feliciano2040 said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I can't believe people are saying Final Crisis

Apparently Grant Morrison does nothing wrong huh ?

Though I wouldn't put it anywhere near a bad events list, we have to be fair, Final Crisis is insanely difficult to read.

Just because it's difficult to read doesn't stop it from being phenomenal. Not every comic needs to be spoon fed to the reader.
#38 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
Age of X
O___________O
#39 Posted by Mercy_ (92501 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: I hated Final Crisis. You know my reasoning. 
#40 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
You can't say Prelude to Schism was slow-paced... For that to be true it would first have to HAVE a pace... Which, clearly, it didn't... -Where's Scott? - Over there by the big window brooding... - Can't blame him, it's going to be bad. - Yeah, real bad. - Sooooo freaking bad... - Yep, bad is the word... A bad we've never ever seen before... A bad so bad even Wolverine and Namor don't think we can win...  - Yeah...That's BAD... - REAL bad... . . . 3 issues later - We're going to stay and fight!   There, I just summed up the entirety of Prelude to schism...  And as everyone now knows, they spent four issues talking about how "bad" it will be to fight.... sigh... sentinels... If prelude DOESN'T end up being the worst story arc ever, it will at least make the top of the "Most Recycled Storr Arc" ever...
LMAO. Not to mention it seemed like half the script of the first issue was repeated in the second. 
#41 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not read that many Marvel crossovers, but on the DC side it is definetly Amazons Attack.  

You can't even call that a story. It's just bunch of random scenes, that don't make sence, characters acting unbelievebly out of character, writer completely ignore contiunity and it was not even stand alone story, you needed to read like every single tie-in. The ending was just retarded, and didn't make any sence, unless you read Countdown, which is second worst DC crossover.
#42 Posted by Blurred View (363 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some obvious choices like Amazons Attack and Ultimatum. But those were so bad that I... technically didn't read them. A few pages and I was out. So I can't honestly say they were the worst events I've read. 

First one that comes to mind is the Thanos Imperative. Rather than try to save the cosmic franchise, that event was a straight up execution of it. That was DnA getting evicted from a house and deciding to burn it down rather than leave anything for anyone else to ever have. It was the anti-Annihilation, going so far as to actually kill most of the stars of Annihilation. I mean, there are events that are just bad, and then there are some that seem like they go out of their way to ruin things. 

Then there's Infinite Crisis, which is like the model of how not to produce events that all later events have learned from. Excessive tie-ins that overrun the entire line of titles and have to be read if you want any hope of understanding what the hell is happening? Check. Character deaths for the sake of artificially inflating the stakes of the story? Check. Tackling so many plot threads at once that none are dealt with in a coherent or satisfying way? Check. I'm really not sure there's any crime against storytelling that Infinite Crisis didn't commit at least once.

#43 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear Itself maybe. I'm not exactly sure where the hammers came from, and it seems so far like the only thing happening is random characters getting hammers and fighting everyone else. oh, and Juggernaut traveling the country. i'm not exactly sure whre it's going. What's the actual point?
#44 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
@Timandm:  What didn't you like about Age of X, personally I thought it was an okay event. I wasn't wowed by it though. 
If I were to ask you which X-men story arc involved a world where mutants are hated and being killed to extinction, what would be your answer?  How about if I added that this particular story involved a different reality, would that narrow it down some?  How about if I said that Magneto and Xavier figured very prominently into the story?  None of that really narrows it down to one story, does it?  Why not?  Because the same story is being told over and over again with little twists and variations.

Age of X was built of as the HUGE event.  Something NEW...  But, all in all, it was simply a recycled story...Once AGAIN the world hates mutants and is trying to kill them all...  Once AGAIN mutants are on the brink of extinction and there is no hope of survival... Once AGAIN David Haller has created an alternate reality (although the first time he did it by changing the time line)  Once AGAIN Rogue struggles with absorbing memories and psyches... Once AGAIN....

Schism is going to be the perfect example of X-men recycling...
#45 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZombieBigfoot said:
As I rarely read event comics, I'm going to say the entire Clone Saga.  And for once, it's not just because I HATE Spidey(btw, a part of me cheered when ultimate spidey died)  It was an unnecessarily drawn-out event that constantly left me wondering what the hell was going on(specifically in Maximum Clonage).  Just.. everything about the Clona Saga makes my head hurt.  Chances are Shadowland will be burned into my brain soon, as I'm reading it out of curiosity.    
YES!  I would have had Clone Saga on my list if I hadn't intentionally blacked it out from my memories... Btw, thanks for bringing it back... LOL!
#46 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: Yeah.. Clone Saga was the worst for me.  Though Countdown follows in a close second, then Ultimatum, and Amazons Attack.   

I can't really agree with all of the Fear Itself hate, as I truly don't hate the event.  Is it the best one ever?  No, not in the least.  Yeah killing Bucky pissed me off, but it's marvel, so it's doubtful he'll stay dead.  Yeah it's pretty obvious that it's an attempt to capitalize on the Thor and Cap movies, but at least they're making an effort.  The only thing that irritates me about it is the constant tie-ins, but those aren't enough to make me hate an event if they're done well enough.
#47 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZombieBigfoot said:
@Timandm: Yeah.. Clone Saga was the worst for me.  Though Countdown follows in a close second, then Ultimatum, and Amazons Attack.    I can't really agree with all of the Fear Itself hate, as I truly don't hate the event.  Is it the best one ever?  No, not in the least.  Yeah killing Bucky pissed me off, but it's marvel, so it's doubtful he'll stay dead.  Yeah it's pretty obvious that it's an attempt to capitalize on the Thor and Cap movies, but at least they're making an effort.  The only thing that irritates me about it is the constant tie-ins, but those aren't enough to make me hate an event if they're done well enough.
You're right, Bucky won't stay dead.  It's the Marvel universe and in the Marvel universe, only Uncle Ben stays dead.  Although I hated it (because I actually like Bucky), his being killed made perfect sense.  He has no super powers and he's going up against this uber-powerful asgardian entity thing.  But DAMN it was sad.  And adding insult to injury, she ripped his bionic arm off?  That actually pissed me off, which means it did evoke an emotional response.  Which is kewl....BUT IT SUCKED!!! LOL!  I suspect the writers will use the resurrection of Bucky as a means/excuse to give him super powers.  Perhaps inject him with the super soldier serum like they did with Mocking bird... Or, give him more bionic parts so that he ends up being a cyborg.

Regarding the Fear Itself story arc, I'm finding (surprisingly) that it doesn't suck.  I fully expected it to.  But the individual stories, for the most part, have been a good read (not including the introductory stuff.)
#48 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm: I agree.  And I LIKE the Worthy "tron" costumes, and I actually want to see what the Mighty look like.  And even the tie-ins can be fun most of the time.  Like the Avengers one where Red Hulk gets his red bum smacked around the city.  Even better, he proves that he's still a good guy, and proves his worth as an Avenger.  I didn't go in thinking it'd suck, but that it'd just be another Marvel mega event, and I knew the purpose was to capitalize on these movies.  So I didn't go in expecting impeccable storytelling, and the art is actually really good. 
#49 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@ZombieBigfoot: @Timandm: I agree.  And I LIKE the Worthy "tron" costumes

LOL!  I've been thinking those costumes look familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  That's it!  TRON is the god of fear!!! LOL!
And yes, you're right about the art, it's very good.
#50 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm said:
@JonesDeini said:
@Timandm:  What didn't you like about Age of X, personally I thought it was an okay event. I wasn't wowed by it though. 
If I were to ask you which X-men story arc involved a world where mutants are hated and being killed to extinction, what would be your answer?  How about if I added that this particular story involved a different reality, would that narrow it down some?  How about if I said that Magneto and Xavier figured very prominently into the story?  None of that really narrows it down to one story, does it?  Why not?  Because the same story is being told over and over again with little twists and variations.  Age of X was built of as the HUGE event.  Something NEW...  But, all in all, it was simply a recycled story...Once AGAIN the world hates mutants and is trying to kill them all...  Once AGAIN mutants are on the brink of extinction and there is no hope of survival... Once AGAIN David Haller has created an alternate reality (although the first time he did it by changing the time line)  Once AGAIN Rogue struggles with absorbing memories and psyches... Once AGAIN....  Schism is going to be the perfect example of X-men recycling...
bingo, that was my biggest issue. I enjoyed the story, but It wasn't anything new. AoX=AoA 2.0