those who turned great characters into jobbers

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 0

Brian Bendis. I have not encountered a writer who treats characters with less respect than he does. I honestly cannot understand how he now has a job.

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

It depends what you mean by 'worst'.

I mean, loeb writes fun stories but they tend to just be ridiculous and treated as non canon.

Bendis is absolutely awful at consistency, like, extemely poor at it. It's almost like he doesn't really research anyone he writes beforehand and just kinda writes them how he thinks they should be.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Scott lobell, what he did to the teen titans is atrocious.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Brian Bendis. I have not encountered a writer who treats characters with less respect than he does. I honestly cannot understand how he now has a job.

@allstarsuperman said:

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

Pak isn't as good to some people as he is to others. Bendis is by far and wide from being the worst writer since most of his work is critically acclaimed (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Avengers, Alias etc) and while Pak is good and he is one of my favorite comic writers he isn't the best. He's slightly overrated nowadays imo he isn't as good as he used to be.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@thecowwasdelirious: Yes. :p dat wrong spelling and meaning though.

but it's true though, Batman backs up his facts and does not assume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

Pak isn't as good to some people as he is to others. Bendis is by far and wide from being the worst writer since most of his work is critically acclaimed (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Avengers, Alias etc) and while Pak is good and he is one of my favorite comic writers he isn't the best. He's slightly overrated nowadays imo he isn't as good as he used to be.

Pak is still a very good writer. Even when He's stories aren't that unique and fantastic, he treats the characters with more respect than Bendis. Not his fault the editors are choosing new gimmicks for him to write.

Pak at least does his research and understands the fact that characters HAVE fans who care about the protagonist. Bendis doesn't give two sh*ts about the fans or the characters he writes, he has some weird ass f*cked up visions of how he wants the story to be told, and he eliminates everything that may stand in his way of telling that story.

Some of his work being critically acclaimed doesn't make him a good writer now. Pak's Hulk is claimed too, but as you said, he may not be as good as he use to be.

Either ways, Pak is miles ahead of bendis in terms of quality, since he doesn't assassinate the characters he writes.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By Superguy1591

Lobdell.

The worst part is that DC keeps giving him Superman. Stop giving him Superman...

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:
@theacidskull said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

Pak is still a very good writer. Even when He's stories aren't that unique and fantastic, he treats the characters with more respect than Bendis. Not his fault the editors are choosing new gimmicks for him to write.

Pak at least does his research and understands the fact that characters HAVE fans who care about the protagonist. Bendis doesn't give two sh*ts about the fans or the characters he writes, he has some weird ass f*cked up visions of how he wants the story to be told, and he eliminates everything that may stand in his way of telling that story.

Some of his work being critically acclaimed doesn't make him a good writer now. Pak's Hulk is claimed too, but as you said, he may not be as good as he use to be.

Either ways, Pak is miles ahead of bendis in terms of quality, since he doesn't assassinate the characters he writes.

Respect yes. Better than Bendis dpends.

Examples please. I disagree

Well if it wasn't good he wouldn't be so succesful.

I disagree. Bendis Spidey and DD are some of the best comics of the past decade not to mention his great work on Avengers, Alias, Moon Knight and creator owned work. His X-men is good but controversial but I will agree his Guardians isn't up to snuff. And while Pak's Hulk and Herc are phenomenal his work on Superman is good but not great and his runs on the Exiles and War Machine were interesting but lacked a little something compared to his other stuff.

Magneto Testament is godly though.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:
@theacidskull said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

I disagree. Bendis Spidey and DD are some of the best comics of the past decade not to mention his great work on Avengers, Alias, Moon Knight and creator owned work. His X-men is good but controversial but I will agree his Guardians isn't up to snuff. And while Pak's Hulk and Herc are phenomenal his work on Superman is good but not great and his runs on the Exiles and War Machine were interesting but lacked a little something compared to his other stuff.

You're not understanding my line of reasoning. Bendis may not technically be the worst writer, but to me, he is the worst because he doesn't respect characters and their histories.

Need examples? Ignoring the fact that his X-men is pure crap, he destroyed x-23. It was complete character annihilation. I can barely recognise one of my personal favourite characters because Bendis doesn't know how to do proper research.

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bat_SAINT
Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis

Loeb for all his flaws also has put out some great stuff.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Scott Lobdell sucks.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Batmanx2005

The new 52 writers especially the ones who do the new 52 batman comics because it too corny for me besides the new 52 whomps harder and harder each day.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, Bendis who gave us runs like Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, Alias, and New Avengers is seriously the WORST writer of ALL time. Not every writer can have amazing runs all the time. Look at people like Claremont, he is the DEFINITIVE X-Men writer and his work on X-Men the last 15 or so years has absolutely sucked. Not everyone is gold. HOWEVER, I will admit that Bendis's X-Men work is garbage so..you got me there.

As for who I believe are terrible writers...

Rob Liefield, Scott Lobdell, Sam Humphries, Chuck Austen, Robert Venditti, Van Jansen, Dan Slott, and...well for now thats all i got

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Just looking at his face makes me wanna punch my monitor.

Definitely Rob Liefield.

BTW, burn it with fire.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkhunter89 said:
No Caption Provided

Just looking at his face makes me wanna punch my monitor.

Definitely Rob Liefield.

BTW, burn it with fire.

No Caption Provided

Yeah f*ck that guy........

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanx2005: I like the work on the new 52 batman, some of the others on the new 52 are pretty good as well, I'd agree that superman, teen titans and maybe a few other titles I can't put names to are sort of sh&t but honestly I blame Lobdell more than anyone

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dan Slott.

Jim-Corrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loeb

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They take turns. Thank goodness.

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By t209

@skit: Well, the closest thing is Sam Alexander and it was mediocre at best (very bad if you are Richard Rider fan) since it had continuity issue (GOTG fifteen years ago but no starlord meant that they might be mercenaries in the past, Jesse being from Earth, etc...). At least it was better than the other crap he wrote in past years. I feel that first five issues was too quick and should have resolved with revealing that Jesse is a humanoid alien who "gone native" with Earth. Bonus if it turned out that Pyreus's lover was pregnant with his child, Jesse's ancestor, before he became a Firelord.

He did say that he was a fan of Richard Rider but he felt that bringing him back would ruin his sacrifice Thanos Imperative (maybe he planned it before Bendis wrote Guardians of the Galaxy for the movie, rather than treating it as "GOTG: Year One", as par Marvel's tradition.) Then he put MCU species in 616 universe.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis just got his hands in too many pots. Where he was just a comic writer before he has now become one the main players at marvel. He writes like 5 books at one time and also does some side work like powers the tv show.
But for people saying is x-men sucks(it's fair) i just wanna say he wrote my favorite x-men story ever and it's only a one-shot. Ultimate x-men #41 is still godly and perfectly encapsulates the mutant plight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:
@theacidskull said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Greg Pak

That is a joke, right?

You're not understanding my line of reasoning. Bendis may not technically be the worst writer, but to me, he is the worst because he doesn't respect characters and their histories.

Need examples? Ignoring the fact that his X-men is pure crap, he destroyed x-23. It was complete character annihilation. I can barely recognise one of my personal favourite characters because Bendis doesn't know how to do proper research.

Which is fine you can dislike him does nit neccesarily mean he is the worst. We can all agree Leifield and Lobdell take the top spots.

His X-men isn't bad. Slow paced alright I get that and his slow plot progression hinder the enjoyment but overrall it's pretty good. Well the Truth arc for Superman isn't exactly a shining beacon by Pak now is it conceptually it's basically everything that Superman shouldn't be invovled with..

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

Bendis.

Also, Liefeld shouldn't count b/c writing isn't his trade.