#1 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think that everyone here has a writer that they consider their favorite and I'm sure that there are some here that think that their favorite writer can do no harm. But have you ever read something by your favorite writer that you just can't stand or maybe not even that far maybe it's just something that you think that they dropped the ball on. So who is your favorite writer and what's the worst thing you think they've written?

#2 Edited by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#3 Posted by d_bones (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

Um so far Frank Miller is probably my favourite (I haven't delved too deeply into other authors except Moore and Brian K. Vaughn but am trying to broaden my knowledge) and I love a lot of his stuff even though some people see him as overly brutal/conservative. I actually haven't read it yet but it seems like Holy Terror is atrocious and in poor taste. As a result of this portrayal I haven't picked it up yet (attempting to buy actually good trades etc.) but it seems like it would be an apt choice for this topic. Please let me know if Holy Terror has any merit but yeah doesn't seem great.

#4 Posted by Daredevilnut (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller is awesome but The Dark Knight Strikes Again was unreadable

#5 Edited by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison - Happy!

Robert Kirkman - Marvel Zombies

#6 Edited by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

see I would have gone with Ultimate X-men

#7 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns has never written a bad book.

#8 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

To answer this I'd have to pick my favorite writer first, right? Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hm.

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

see I would have gone with Ultimate X-men

I've never read it, but I've heard bad things. I couldn't get a feel for Marvel Zombies though, and I felt it took itself too seriously.

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really like Jeff Lemire's Superboy run.

Morrison's The Filth was... weird, and considering how people generally see his work that's saying a lot.

#11 Edited by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's The Filth was... weird, and considering how people generally see his work that's saying a lot.

Have you read his Invisibles?
BB

#12 Posted by DJ1107 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Aaron's Hulk run.

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

@smashbrawler said:

BB

Nope, not yet, but I plan to do so one of these days, after all I have all the trades laying around here somewhere :P

Why do you ask? Would you say it was weirder than The Filth? Because man... that was quite an experience, and that wasn't a compliment.

#14 Edited by XImpossibruX (5170 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller - All Star Batman

Not my favorite author, but definitely up there.

#15 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux:

the only reason I haven't burned that book is because of the incredible art

#17 Edited by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

@smashbrawler said:

BB

Nope, not yet, but I plan to do so one of these days, after all I have all the trades laying around here somewhere :P

Why do you ask? Would you say it was weirder than The Filth? Because man... that was quite an experience, and that wasn't a compliment.

About as weird and dense. And they're "connected".

BB

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

@smashbrawler said:

@billy_batson said:

@smashbrawler said:

BB

About as weird and dense. And they're "connected".

BB

Nice to know. Maybe The Filth will start making sense once I read The Invisibles, heh.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (57784 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler:

Or you'll think the same about The Invisibles :p Why not read it soon if you have the trades?

BB

#20 Posted by Lvenger (18411 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Final Crisis - Grant Morrison. Just far too convoluted and difficult to follow
  • Godfall - Joe Kelly. He's one of my favourite Superman writers but this was plain bad.
  • Justice League - Geoff Johns. Usually I like most of what Johns writes but this is an awful interpretation of the JLA.