Winter Soldier, best DC or Marvel film since the Avengers?

• 114 results
Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I don't always pay much attention to what the critics say, but Rotten Tomatoes ratings are generally a reasonable barometer. After all, their highest rated films are The Dark Knight, The Avengers and Spiderman 2, which most people would agree are 3 of the best super-hero movies to date. Anyway, they gave Cap America 2 an 89% score, which makes it the highest rating for a super-hero movie since the Avengers. So is it the best super-hero movie since then? I saw it this morning and it certainly exceeded my expectations.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I think it is, I mean its competition was the Dark Knight Rises (which is overrated IMO), Meh of Steel and The Amazing Spider-Man and I think it is clearly superior to those three movies (ASM being the closest).

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

its better than Avengers in my opinion. the plot is better, the action is better, there's more character development, etc.

also Iron Man 1 is better than Avengers for the same reason, in my opinion. (less so with the action though)

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would say so

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over rated.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of-course

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor:

Which one is over-rated?

..a bit worrying is ASM2's current rating of 72% which will hopefully improve once the US critics see it. MOSs rating by Rotten Tomatoes was hard to fathom, much lower than even average Marvel films have recorded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. I didn't find it to be that much better than man of steel honestly but it got a better rating so I guess so.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@tensor:

Which one is over-rated?

..a bit worrying is ASM2's current rating of 72% which will hopefully improve once the US critics see it. MOSs rating by Rotten Tomatoes was hard to fathom, much lower than even average Marvel films have recorded.

Rotten Tomatoes is overrated. If you need someone else to tell you how good a film is, why bother watching it in the first place?

Watch a movie and make up your own mind, its the only opinion that matters.

IstariJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I sure liked it better than Iron Man and I thought it was right up there with the Avengers. However, this could be a personal thing for me, with Captain America being my favorite of the cinematic heroes. I also felt the story was pretty well done, and to be 100% honest! I found myself enjoying the film's story more than the Winter Soldier storyline in Brubaker's run, which is again, a personal thing.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

I never said Rotten Tomatoes was great, but I said its a reasonable barometer and I stand by that statement. Anyway, I watched the films and made up my own mind and I do think Cap America the Winter Soldier is the best super-hero film since the Avengers, closely followed by ASM2. Actually I find it hard to choose between these two.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not big on Man of Steel. Reminded me of Transformers with Krypontians instead of Robots.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@bezza said:

@fallschirmjager:

I never said Rotten Tomatoes was great, but I said its a reasonable barometer and I stand by that statement. Anyway, I watched the films and made up my own mind and I do think Cap America the Winter Soldier is the best super-hero film since the Avengers, closely followed by ASM2. Actually I find it hard to choose between these two.

My point was the barometer is pointless. If you think a movie is good, you don't' need anyone elses justification. Film is completely subjective.

I think the Paranormal Activity movies are god-awful and boring as shit. I know a lot of people who enjoy the hell out of them. Neither of us is right or wrong, we just have different tastes. Its the same with any form of art, be it film, tv, music...whatever. Two people can watch a movie and listen to a song and see and hear something completely different.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

Ok fair enough, but what's your answer to my OP? Do you think Winter soldier is best film since Avengers (or some other Dc/marvel film you particularly enjoyed), or did you not enjoy it?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@fallschirmjager:

Ok fair enough, but what's your answer to my OP? Do you think Winter soldier is best film since Avengers (or some other Dc/marvel film you particularly enjoyed), or did you not enjoy it?

its better than Avengers in my opinion. the plot is better, the action is better, there's more character development, etc.

also Iron Man 1 is better than Avengers for the same reason, in my opinion. (less so with the action though)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

Cool! Glad you liked it. I also share your love of Iron Man 1...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was good, compared to the sh*t Marvel has been squeezing out lately. But definitely not great. I might have to see this again, because I don't remember it being that great imo. Regardless, glad to see Cap kicking ass commercially and critically ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say yes... but I should probably say that I passed on all of 2013's superhero movies.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is still my favorite. It was just a good movie in general. Minus some strange parts in the story.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would say Winter Soldier was the best MCU since the first Iron Man

I do like Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises as well and I find it kind of hard to compare them

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The general consensus is that it's the best "Comic book hero" movie since then. I personally liked MOS better, but I'm sure most folks do not.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Haven't seen it yet :(

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was better then most of the crap movies Marvel spits out but still liked MOS way more. I don't really think superhero movies are all that good to begin with honestly.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it personally. It was so different from TDK so its hard to compare the two.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it better than any Marvel movie. Id say the majority of the DC movies were better.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was better than TDK and MOS combined.Sue me.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avengers is my favourite movie of all time. I loved The Winter Soldier. It was the only Marvel Phase 2 movie that didn't have stuff that I didn't like. In Iron Man 3, the extremis vs iron man fights felt a bit anticlimactic. If I was directing those fights, I'd make them last longer, e.g, the extremis soldiers don't shut down the suits by touching them. The Mandarin twist disappointed me in the cinema but I kind of like it now. I didn't like the excess amount of space stuff in Thor 2. I think a more medieval approach would've fared better. Don't get me wrong, I love these movies, but I just didn't like these small things. In my opinion Cap 2 was an exceptionally well made film. The suspense, action and character interaction were superb! Can't wait for more superhero movies!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They deserve a round of applause...

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Haven't seen it yet :(

Shame on you. Just... shame....

No Caption Provided

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only thing that's going to top Avengers for me could only be Avengers 2 or another Team based movie. That last fight scene always leaves a big stupid grin on my face. Also even though Hawkeye lost most of his character depth cause the whole brainwash thing he was still pretty bad ass while he was. (delete scenes even focus on how he was trying to hold back). But yeah Winter Soldier is up there, for not only being awesome in its own right it helped thing before it and around it get better. (Added a bit more depth to Iron Man 2, and gave Agents of Shield an event that drastically changed the show).

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mtrakos

Avenger s was okay at best. I said it when I first walked out of the movie. And I'm saying it now still. It's the weakest of the new marvel movies. Honestly I'd rank IM3 as good if not better than avengers

Winter Soldier was as good as any Nolan batman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

If I had to rank them.

The Dark Knight Rises>>Man of Steel>>>Winter Soldier>Avengers>>>>>>>>>>Thor:the Dark World>>>>>>>>>Iron Man 3

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I have TWS as the best super hero movie ever made. Had great pacing, good story, great action scenes, and was the first super hero movie to feel like it has lasting consequences on its universe.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FearTheLiving

If I had to rank them.

The Dark Knight Rises>>Man of Steel>>>Winter Soldier>Avengers>>>>>>>>>>Thor:the Dark World>>>>>>>>>Iron Man 3

It's your opinion but damn did this make me face palm hard :P
It's your opinion but damn did this make me face palm hard :P

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the best Marvel film since Amazing Spider Man. Avengers was incredibly mediocre.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Captian America Winter Soldier.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Dark Knight Rises was the one I most enjoyed WS takes a comfortable second place thought then: DW, Wolverine, MOS and finally IM3.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Pokeysteve
  1. Man of Steel
  2. Winter Soldier
  3. Avengers
  4. Iron Man 3
  5. Thor 2
  6. Rises

Man of Steel nailed a character for me like no other movie has while Rises missed the mark on almost all points. It was like one of those D-list horror movies on the Sy-Fy channel. Winter Soldier was amazing and I hope I get to see it again soon. I liked Avengers and Iron Man 3. Thor 2 was disappointing. It had so much potential but turned out predictable and generic. 1 - 4 brought something new to the table whereas 5 and 6 did not. Not sure if The Wolverine counts but it'd be number 4 if it did. I liked it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel nailed the last nail in my coffin as it was just that terrible.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. Winter Soldier

2. The Wolverine

3. Thor: The Dark World

4. Iron Man 3

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When people say The Dark Knight Rises is the best comic-book film..Heads-back-laughter

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but does that really mean anything old sport.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand all the Man of Steel love, that movie was horrible. It was Green Lantern bad.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Winter Soldier but Man of Steel it's still my favourite i guess MoS had an element of surprise that WS haven't, i knew how the plot of the movie but not the ending with MoS the whole movie of unexpected for good.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I would say so

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand all the Man of Steel love, that movie was horrible. It was Green Lantern bad.

Entertainment is subjective. Thats the explanation for why someone likes a movie you dont or dislikes a movie you like. Theres no effective, objective method to quantify how entertaining something is.

Since people are making lists:

1. Man of Steel
  2. Dark Knight Rises
  3. Dark Knight
  4. Batman Begins/ Winter Soldier
  5. Iron Man 1
  6. Avengers
  7. First Class

And then it gets a little to messy to navigate easily.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah.... can't really like it no matter how I approach. It's just a movie to wow you with visuals the first time around. Take a second look, and you'll get flaws a minute.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Winter Soldier was definitely the best Marvel film since the Avengers, but Dark Knight Rises trumps Avengers.

Also Spider-Man 2 is overrated. I don't think its bad, just wasn't anything amazing.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the Dark knight is still the king of cmb movies.