• 91 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, that was certainly unexpected. When word broke William Fichtner (The Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down) was cast in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I sincerely thought he'd be Baxter Stockman or maybe even Fugitoid. But during an interview with HuffPost TV Canada, the actor revealed he's playing the Turtles' most famous villain, Shredder.

"I play Shredder. It is cool. It's one of those things that came along where I thought, "Really? Let me think about this for a minute." [Laughs] Then I was like, "Yeah, OK, this sounds like a journey." I'm very glad that it worked out, I'm really glad that I'm doing it."

While speaking with IGN, Fichtner said, "It's not the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you've seen before. This is new. This is a Michael Bay production. It's kind of freaky." Seeing as the Foot Clan is sporting a more militaristic vibe in this film (perhaps special forces with ninja training?), this is naturally going to draw strong parallels to the previously leaked script --- a script Bay claimed was thrown away and nothing like the final draft. In that version, the leader of the group was "Colonel Schrader" and based on this casting choice, I wouldn't be surprised if that's still the case (safe to assume his name isn't Oroku Saki, yes?).

And to the crowd about to flip tables or smash keyboards: if you're that upset over this franchise undergoing changes, then I sincerely hope you're also supporting it by reading the IDW series or at least watching the show on Nick. Both are excellent.

Directed by Jonathan Liebesman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hits theaters June 6, 2014.

Source: HuffPost TV Canada, IGN

Staff
#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6592 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not. TMNT fan but ill give it a watch.

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

meh. not bad.

#3 Edited by Iron_Turtle (583 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like William Fichtner as an actor.

But as I'm supporting the IDW series like a boss. F*ck this celluloid abortion.

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Let the Sh*tstrombegin.

#5 Posted by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the actor, and I've seen worse casts.

#6 Posted by The_Vein (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care, but it is funny that, as almost always happens in big movies, a major non-white character is going to be played by a white dude.

#7 Posted by dondave (38007 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good actor so I don't mind

#8 Posted by danhimself (22586 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get it....whenever they put out the casting notice did they even ask for an asian actor with martial arts skills or did this guy just ignore that and go apply anyway?

#9 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: do you want a crappy all-muscle no talent actor? we dont.

#10 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

blah blah blah

#11 Edited by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

With that coment "This is a Michael Bay production. It's kind of freaky" I'm 100% sure this is going to be a fiasco, like Transformers 3...

I love the Turtles,I really do, so i'll watch the movie anyway... But now I'm really depresed

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33634 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice bit of white washing there.......

#13 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

why does my page say Giant Bomb and not Comicvine???

#14 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

White guy plays Oroku Saki. REALLY?! there weren't any menacing asian/asian-american actors up for the role?

#15 Posted by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how I feel about this

#16 Posted by Pokeysteve (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

White guy plays Oroku Saki. REALLY?! there weren't any menacing asian/asian-american actors up for the role?

Bay probably had his name changed to Stan Johnson or something.

#17 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, yeah. I want a TMNT movie. Not a movie where the Foot is a mercenary group and Shredder is a white dude, not the reincarnation of Tatsuo Takeshi (or is it Takeshi Tatsuo? I forgot).

#18 Posted by nappystr8 (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a good actor is not the end all be all of a casting choice. Fichtner is completely wrong for the classic Shredder that everyone knows and loves. He's the wrong race, whitewashing is the word of the year in hollywood it seems, and he's the wrong build. If the guy is going to be a ninja, then this is a terrible move, if he's not going to be a ninja, why not just make it a completely different character altogether? The sting of the Megan Fox choice was finally starting to wear off, and I was actually excited to see how this movie would be...so much for that.

#19 Posted by RavenVice01 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Wolverine for expressing my displeasure.

I thought Bay's first script with a militaristic Foot Clan was thrown out when it leaked out on to the internet. Now I hear Finchter is playing Shredder or Col. Shraeder. I feel like Kenan from Kenan & Kel:

If u r a true believer of TMNT and love the original mythology of the Turtles as I do then it is ur responsibility to bash this film when it comes out. It must stomped until it's a bloody smear on the floor. Transformers is one thing but this alteration can not be tolerated. Please do not be swayed by Michael Bay's talent for...

Only we true believers of the Turtles (who were conveaniently born in the 80's) can save the day and preserve their legacy.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Shredder should be Japanese, we've already had a white Mandarin and a White Tonto, I know Hollywood only sees it as racist when white people play black people but you know Japanese people actually do exist, they're the people who make all the technology that actually works properly.

#21 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. He's an good actor.

#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, yeah. I want a TMNT movie. Not a movie where the Foot is a mercenary group and Shredder is a white dude, not the reincarnation of Tatsuo Takeshi (or is it Takeshi Tatsuo? I forgot).

Well, you're in luck because that movie does exist. 1990 TMNT, man :P

Staff
#23 Posted by danhimself (22586 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer:

Being a good actor is not the end all be all of a casting choice. Fichtner is completely wrong for the classic Shredder that everyone knows and loves. He's the wrong race, whitewashing is the word of the year in hollywood it seems, and he's the wrong build. If the guy is going to be a ninja, then this is a terrible move, if he's not going to be a ninja, why not just make it a completely different character altogether? The sting of the Megan Fox choice was finally starting to wear off, and I was actually excited to see how this movie would be...so much for that.

Shredder should be Japanese, we've already had a white Mandarin and a White Tonto, I know Hollywood only sees it as racist when white people play black people but you know Japanese people actually do exist, they're the people who make all the technology that actually works properly.

#24 Edited by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: i think you are a bit too much extreme... Better support the Comic by IDW (that is really really GOOD) than going against a giant

#25 Posted by SoA (4844 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like William Fichtner as an actor.

But as I'm supporting the IDW series like a boss. Fuck this celluloid abortion.

this exactly

#26 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't know Shredder was white.....

Reminds of The Last Airbender lmao.

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Fitchner, he's a great actor who improves pretty much everything he's in and I won't even be mad at him for taking the role because he's not an A-list guy and he has to work for a living so I won't begrudge him a pay check but the producers were wrong for casting him.

#28 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Michael_Moran (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Feels like. Stretch

#31 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the look I have on my face now at this revelation. I guess "Colonel Schrader" may still be the case for this...::FACEPALM::

#32 Posted by ccraft (5312 posts) - - Show Bio

my first reaction to the news lol

Ugh, I was hoping an Asian martial arts/actor would play Shredder.. But whatever, the movie still might be enjoyable...

#33 Posted by Samimista (20759 posts) - - Show Bio

Says he was in The Dark Knight yet I don't remember him. =O I'm sure he'll do great though.

#34 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@g_money_christmas said:

Well, you're in luck because that movie does exist. 1990 TMNT, man :P

I have all 3 plus the animated TMNT movie. Not a huge fan of the second solely because Corey Feldman isn't Donatello and it just sounds weird

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33634 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: he was the guy that owned the bank that Joker robbed in the first 5 min

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (45907 posts) - - Show Bio

Says he was in The Dark Knight yet I don't remember him. =O I'm sure he'll do great though.

He's the bank manager with the shotgun in the opening scene.

Staff
#37 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh more whitewashing

#38 Edited by Carolina574 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

They could still use the reincarnation idea from the IDW series with this guy. I actually have faith in this movie for whatever reason.

#39 Edited by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

I will give it a shot.......I like William Fichtner as an actor too.

#40 Posted by RustyRoy (12812 posts) - - Show Bio

Shredder is supposed to be Japanese, I lost all interest in the movie.

#41 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, the casting of a white guy to play "Shredder" is just another mistake for the pile that this whole film is making (Interesting note, when originally writing that sentence, I accidentally typed "hole" instead of "whole" A rather fitting Freudian slip in this case)

You know, I really feel bad for actor when a great part comes along and they change the characters race. Imagine all the up and coming Inuit actresses we could have been introduced to if they hadn't decided to make Katarra white. Tho the lack of success from that movie might have made it a blessing in disguise to not be cast in it...

#42 Edited by frogjitsu (481 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny, nothing they do shocks me anymore. Don't know if I'll go see it in the theaters, but I'll still rent it. I need to catch up with the comic though.

#43 Posted by Samimista (20759 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio

a young christopher walken takes to the stand

#45 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it how some peeps are complaining about a white guy being saki, because we all know theres only one shredder right in the tmnt saga? Lol whos to say hes it reslly chrell, i mean aliens are in this...so its not Far off theory. Just saying...

#46 Posted by Arinya (422 posts) - - Show Bio

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I hate Bay. He ruined Transformers and now TMNT. I'm sure it will make a gazillion dollars but another small cherished part of my childhood has died again.

#47 Edited by Ama_Sama (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ok with this casting choice. Though an Asian Actor would've made more sense.

Still terrified to see what abomination Bay morphs TMNT into. Only time will tell...

#48 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5684 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: He was the guy who got in a small shootout with Joker during the Bank Robbery. Remember? He was all like ``What do you believe in?!"

#49 Posted by The Average Bear (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's right for the part. I see him as one of those actors who like, shakes with anger in order to be super dramatic and that works sometimes but I don't see Shredder looking like he's about to... uh, clear his bowles. 'naw mean?

Who knows though. This could be a superb performance. I'll wear a dunce hat if that happens

#50 Posted by Samimista (20759 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil83: Hehe! Yeah I remember him now. xD Didn't get this notification til now though. 0.o