Will the new star wars trilogy really be considered canon?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

the same way that the two Lucas trilogies are for star wars?

I mainly ask people who are really into star wars whether they will consider it to take precedence over stuff in the EU and comics, particularly given that Lucas isn't doing the story behind it.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cave_Duck

Of course they'll be canon. As for the EU stuff, its gone- no longer exists in canon, the end.

As for it having anything to do with George Lucas, when he sold the rights he gave up the story-making responsibilities. Not that he really did all that much of it in regards to the old EU.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, it is.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaied

Yes, the movies were always the 'true' canon. Lucas stated himself that TPM-RotJ is what he considers Star Wars, and not all of the EU material; in particular the post RotJ fluff.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied: Those were the two trilogies that he wrote though and which didn't run up against the EU and comics material that much. For me personally, despite what anyone else says, the new trilogy won't be much different from any other material. Its just stories that have been added to the sw universe.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Every movie and show coming out is going to be canon.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes they'll be cannon now, Anything Disney wants as cannon will be cannon. Lol.

In regards to EU, now has its own seperate cannon I guess you could say. So it'll still make it fun to discuss and use for battles and such.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mcdavid

Most of the EU is cancerous drivel nowadays. It was manageable and tolerable pre-phantom menace, but once the crappy prequel trilogy was completed, the EU became complete and utter garbage.

I'm sure those in charge will manage to find a way to make both timelines co-exist as to upset as few people as possible, but hopefully the new source material will be good enough to bring the quality of the EU up a notch. Probably wont be cannon anymore, depending on the time period the fic covers.

As long as I won't have to stare at Hayden Christensen's stupid face, I'm a happy man.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The true canon is in your heart. Stories, officially licensed or not, propose, not impose.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yup, the new movies are unequivocally canon. The Lucasfilm Story Group is responsible for managing the new canon (George Lucas no longer has creative control or input, obviously) and the new films, as well as Rebels, The Clone Wars, the new novels and the new comics are all a part of that.

Everything that came under the old EU, except for The Clone Wars animated series, has now been relegated to "Legends" status, which is essentially an alternate Star Wars universe. However, writers have already begun to incorporate some elements from the old EU into the new canonverse, such as in the novels, and none of the EU is "off-limits", that is to say, new writers are entitled to bring in any elements of the EU that they wish, so long as it does not conflict with the current universe (so nothing post-ROTJ for now, obviously).

@spambot said:

I mainly ask people who are really into star wars whether they will consider it to take precedence over stuff in the EU and comics, particularly given that Lucas isn't doing the story behind it.

Also, in regards to this line in your question, Lucas didn't write the stories behind the EU novels or comics either, so it's a moot point. He mostly regarded the films as the golden standard, with The Clone Wars right behind them. Anything else was lesser canon in the first place and was subject to rewrites and retcons anyway.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yes.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy: What you just mentioned has absolutely no bearing on my point about Lucas not writing the new movies though. My point was that when you had Lucas writing the other two trilogies it made sense to a large degree that what he intended to be in the movies to supersede the the other material canonwise. Since he is not doing the new movies it makes less sense for them to. Its just more stories being added at the whims of the new writers.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

The true canon is in your heart. Stories, officially licensed or not, propose, not impose.

I tend to agree at this point.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@wardishy: What you just mentioned has absolutely no bearing on my point about Lucas not writing the new movies though. My point was that when you had Lucas writing the other two trilogies it made sense to a large degree that what he intended to be in the movies to supersede the the other material canonwise. Since he is not doing the new movies it makes less sense for them to. Its just more stories being added at the whims of the new writers.

To be fair, if you read the wording in your OP it does seem you're referring to the EU

@spambot said:

the same way that the two Lucas trilogies are for star wars?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck: I think you read it that way but most people seem to have read it the way I intended to be understood, especially since most people are already aware that Lucas doesn't write stuff for the EU.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot:

Just trying to help explain is all...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spambot
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@spambot: It really doesn't matter to me. With the amount of stories, films, TV Series & books that are released for Star Wars. I literally pick & choose what is canon. Just make a fantasy Star Wars universe. Easier that way then you can sit back and relax and enjoy everything they release without worrying did this really happen?

Only thing I really want to happen in Star Wars is One Sith film trilogy. It won't be this trilogy but maybe (hoping for the next trilogy)