Will Nightwing ever reach A-lister status?

• 123 results
Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Nightwing ever reach A-lister status? (100 votes)

Yes, he will eventually 51%
No, he's forever a sidekick 47%

Before you say it, no, he is not an A-lister as of now, regardless of being "teh first sidekick". A-listers don't continuously appear in comics to assist the same character. A-listers have movies being made starring them. A-listers are the characters constantly shown on the big boy teams (Avengers / Justice League). A-listers don't become secret agents because the same character they always assist says so.

So will Nightwing ever reach A-lister status, or is he doomed to forever be a sidekick?

• 
lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes eventually.

ironknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already is.

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If DC stops bringing him in to be Batman's sidekick and lets him lead the JL as Nightwing or something similarly prominent, sure, I could actually see him becoming one of the big-time A-listers in comics.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

He's been in the top 25 sales figures a fair few times, with a push I think he could make it to the top end of the list.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You can be Batmans sidekick and be a A lister, just look at Superman

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC needs to kill Batman or stomp making Dick team up with him. He definitely has the potential to become one of the best.

grissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can be Batmans sidekick and be a A lister, just look at Superman

lol!!

But no. The only thing Nightwing will ever be good for is making people ask "where's the real Batman?"

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as the Teen Titans tv show hits the tv, then yeah... He will reach there...

Example: Green Arrow

grissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As soon as the Teen Titans tv show hits the tv, then yeah... He will reach there...

Green Arrow is not an A-lister. Just having a tv show is not enough. He couldn't sell a Green arrow actionfigure, videogame or T-shirt to save his life. Especially since they made him Batman. The only thing Green Arrow will ever be good for is making people ask "where's the real Batman?"

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By w0nd

No

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already is.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Never will have a movie with him he kinda sucks

No Caption Provided

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

For a Character who's always lived in the shadow of the Bat. Being a High tier B lister impressive. If he gets the chance he'll make it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rogueshadow  Moderator

He could, it depends what Warner Brothers want to do with him.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissel: A LOT more people know about Green Arrow than they knew about in 2010 let's say...

I will admit that in the show, they have made him Batman but in the comics he has his own individual personality... Until recently due to Arrow sort of starting to influence the comics...

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, A list means the character has, or can sell their own toy-line, movies,tv series, video games, merchandise. And as cool as I think he is, he has barely done any of those things, they took his own comic away in favor of grayson, so the whole "nightwing" persona is kind of dead now, there really is no reason to publicly wear a mask or go by that name.

As for the other stuff, he was last seen in batman vs robin where he was once again an assist character.

grissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissel: A LOT more people know about Green Arrow than they knew about in 2010 let's say...

I will admit that in the show, they have made him Batman but in the comics he has his own individual personality... Until recently due to Arrow sort of starting to influence the comics...

A lot more people do know about him. but he's not catching on. He might be a little better well known but he's not popular. And the biggest mistake DC made was making him Batman. They should have spent that time building up his on identity/character.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissel: That still counts for something...

Agreed on the Batman thing... But to be honest GA doesnt have much of Rogues Gallery so obviously other villains had to be included...

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately I doubt it. He is constantly in the bat's shadow and his stories are always being screwed with to build up the bat. Every time in the new52, when the character was making leeway, he would be dragged into a crossover and he would get screwed. Tries to rebuild his circus, Joker burns it down. Tries to make his own way in Chicago, Injustice Society outs him to the world. I wouldn't be surprised if his current stint as a spyguy is ended with another personal tragedy with Batman involved somehow.

Not to mention the new52 stripping him of his traditional romantic interests for seemingly no reason. People were really into Babs/Dick or Starfire/Dick.

He is king of the B-listers and will remain so until DC is actually willing to raise him up and puts genuine effort in doing so.

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow is an absolutely useless character to the entire DC mythos, honestly. I never saw his purpose, and with Arrow, that notion has been reinforced - he obviously doesn't have a well-enough-established personality and overall characterization of his own, which is why he's being portrayed as a Batman rip-off.

Arrow is honestly taking up television space that could be used to get Nightwing out there.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there are only seven A-listers in the DC Universe. All others are B-listers, C-listers and comic relief.

Of course, if we were to utilize the One Punch-Man hierarchy, Nightwing would be an A-class hero, with the previously mentioned seven categorized as S-class. He is certainly among the best of the DC line up, but as far as mainstream recognizability and his potential to carry a product outside traditional comic fandom, he is stuck at second tier.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The superhero A-list is going to be jam packed with all these Superhero movies and TV shows. Soon to be joining GOTG, Black Panther, Aquaman, Flash, Dr Strange, Suicide Squad etc

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Eventually? He's been an A-lister ever since he shed the Robin identity.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully soon. Right now he and Green Arrow are the king of B listers

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eventually.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's not an Alister if we are using a strict "Elite QB/NFL" type mentality. DC has more than 7 Alisters GTFO with that horse poop.

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Read the following; it's what an A-lister is generally described as:

@w0nd said:

To me, A list means the character has, or can sell their own toy-line, movies,tv series, video games, merchandise. And as cool as I think he is, he has barely done any of those things, they took his own comic away in favor of grayson, so the whole "nightwing" persona is kind of dead now, there really is no reason to publicly wear a mask or go by that name.

As for the other stuff, he was last seen in batman vs robin where he was once again an assist character.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zero_dreams: I didn't disagree. I actually agree an Alister is someone who already has been in the spotlight pushing product or has the potential to do so. He hasn't shown that yet, so Nightwing isn't an Alister.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He needs a successful movie first.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Isnt he already one?

• He is pretty known
  • he has his own solo adventures
  • he can sell his own comic
  • leader of several teams and/or he has important roles on teams
  • he has some apperance on the media
  • Kind has his own Rogue Gallery and Support Gallery
  • Replace A-List characther in several titles (Batman)
  • Strong skills
  • Plus Potencial (even not connected with Batman)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@lamdaddy20:

And Hawkman? Also who are the Queens ? Zatanna? Black Canary? Supergirl? Vixen?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nightwing is nowhere near close to being an A-list hero.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Batman was floating through time, and Dick took his place, didn't his entire run revolve around how much better Bruce was and always would be?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yus becuz hes teh furst syde kikk

He'll probably be an A-lister after the Titans show.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In order to make the big-time Night Wing needs to strike out on his own, get his own distinct style and make us forget he was Robin.

Avatar image for monarch_chronicle
Monarch_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure why everyone wants him to cut his roots away and make us forget he was Robin. Honestly having that history is what makes him a stable character and not simply another no name DC street leveler.

Seriously in many ways he already is an A-lister.

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: He's still in Batman's shadow, and Grayson has really only reinforced that. The whole plot of the series is rooted in Batman telling Dick to infiltrate Spyral.

Avatar image for monarch_chronicle
Monarch_Chronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: He's still in Batman's shadow, and Grayson has really only reinforced that. The whole plot of the series is rooted in Batman telling Dick to infiltrate Spyral.

Does anyone else find it funny that one of the things that people say keeps nightwing from the top tier (batman relation) is in many ways the thing that makes him an interesting character?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grissel said:

@awesomeperson said:

Green Arrow is not an A-lister. Just having a tv show is not enough. He couldn't sell a Green arrow actionfigure, videogame or T-shirt to save his life. Especially since they made him Batman. The only thing Green Arrow will ever be good for is making people ask "where's the real Batman?"

Actually, I believe Arrow is getting a video game, so we shall see. Also, if you watch many of the videos Stephen Amell does on Youtube and Facebook, he's a solid sales guy when it comes to charity.

Besides, Arrow is far better than Batman, in my opinion. I think the Archer motif is a lot cooler than Bats.

Green Arrow is an absolutely useless character to the entire DC mythos, honestly. I never saw his purpose, and with Arrow, that notion has been reinforced - he obviously doesn't have a well-enough-established personality and overall characterization of his own, which is why he's being portrayed as a Batman rip-off.

Arrow is honestly taking up television space that could be used to get Nightwing out there.

Well, his original creation was essentially a Batman rip-off. Since then, he has changed quite a lot in terms of personality, but Batman does tend to get the most attention in terms of street-level heroes. Most everyone else kind of has to work with what they have. That said, I think Arrow has done better than most establishing a fanbase through interpretations like the Justice League Unlimited series. Not to mention, while they use a majority of Batman foes, Arrow does have some impressive enemies of his own. However, not everyone can see potential in them, so they get shafted for more popular names, but:

• Brick
  • China White
  • Constantine Drakon
  • Merlyn
  • Cupid and Dark Arrow
  • Count Vertigo
  • Deathstroke

All had plenty of potential to be used better/more throughout the series, (though Brick and Vertigo were done especially well I thought.)

On the flipside, I can't think of too many sole Nightwing villains aside from:

• Blockbuster
  • Tarantula
  • Deathstroke

He's usually part of a team and so it's hard to think of anyone he really fights alone, but I'm not Nightwing expert so maybe you can name more.

Even if he is a "Batman rip-off" to you, at the moment, he's still probably better off than Nightwing, who is periodically cast as Bruce Wayne's gopher (go for this, go for that,) do-boy. In all honesty, he's arguably had more work put into him, but he's so connected to Bruce they just won't let that go. I'd argue Drake and Jason are closer to making it into the A-List than Dick Grayson.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lamdaddy20

@vitalius: Hawkman doesn't even have his own ongoing currently, and when he did in the N52 it only lasted for 20 some issues. Plus he has not had that much media exposure. For the women, I would agree that Supergirl, Black Canary, Zatanna, and possibly Vixen (after her animated TV show) are the queens of B listers

Zero_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zero_Dreams

@scouterv: I agree with most of what you said, except that little bit at the end: Tim and Jason aren't even remotely close to becoming A-listers.

An A-lister is someone like my boy Spidey, Batman, Superman, Flash, Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. Dick is closer to attaining this status based on fanbase recognition (there are a crapload of Nightwing fan films), relevance, and status (the first sidekick in comic book history; ranked 11th in IGN's best superheroes list).

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as people want him to be Batman, he isnt going to leave his Shadow.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Kidd

Not if they keep using him as a prop for Batman, the G.A will always look at him as just Batman's sidekick maybe the Teen Titans show might chance that a little.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He already is.