• 95 results
#51 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I think other than live action movies they are both equal.

#52 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33637 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it funny that pepole actually think Marvel and DC are the best comic publishers

#53 Edited by Havenless (1351 posts) - - Show Bio

@dh69 said:

While Marvel just whores their stuff out, marvel isn't more popular its just more publicized

They have generally swung back and forth, there was a time when DC was bigger then the Lee/Kirby era came and Marvel stepped up, then DC stepped up again around the time of COIE and held the top spot until the 90s. Actually given the track record its probably about time for DC to swing back into the top spot.

These aren't true. Ever since Kirby and Lee jumped started the Marvel Universe, they have greatly outsold DC. This by fact shows not only Marvel is more popular, but there is no track record of a 'cycle'

Comicbook Sales Figures of DC vs Marvel from 1950 to 1987

#54 Posted by MarvellousFan (13 posts) - - Show Bio

i think dc kinda messed up when they were just focusing on superman and batman when making live action films. so, surpassing marvel, won't happen anytime soon. but it still can happen, considering the superheroes they have at their disposal

#55 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I'm not sure anyone here was saying either one is the best, simply that one is more popular than the other. If anyone did say either of the big 2 were one of the best around, creatively, financially, then yes they would be wrong in my book.

#56 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

Superman is still the most known superhero face in the world today

too bad nobody cares about him.

#57 Edited by Killemall (18598 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is likely to be more popular for at least the forseeable future, specially because they have a more extensive issues they offer (as in more number of comics published every month as opposed to DC) and give the fact that they are under a bigger company, and has at the moment, a lot more funds then DC sort of helps.

Its not impossible, there really is nothing about marvel that is distinctily superior to DC (or at least thats how i see it) its just as it stands Marvel is indeed ahead in terms of popularity and it seem to be going pretty good.

#58 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Outside america they do, its just that emo/brood/grimdark/realism fever seems to be the trendy stuff with most readers in the states

#59 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: i'm not in america.

#60 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has surpassed Marvel in general popularity. A few good movies doesnt equal the iconicism of Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman

#61 Edited by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless: There's more to it than just actual comic book sales, there's movies and animated series to consider as well.

#62 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

They way DC is going now, they never will.

Since the New 52 they have canceled a lot of books.

Time to go back to their original continuity.

#63 Edited by frogdog (3252 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Sidebar:

I honestly prefer to have DC be the top cow. I rather have Marvel as underdogs it feels more right.

( + )

This. DC characters (for the most part), are nearly perfect, incorruptible, godly, characters. Where as Marvel (for the most part) consists of flawed, vulnerable human beings who struggle with everyday life. Just seems natural for DC to be the lead dogs, and marvel the underdogs.

You say this while having Thor as an avatar

#64 Posted by New_World_Order (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, but Marvel>DC.

They have the potential but they really need to get their act together and do something with it. Make decent films for characters other than Superman and Batman who - as great as they are - are becoming overused.

Agreed.

#65 Posted by marvelman27 (190 posts) - - Show Bio

DC will most likely become more popular once they bring out Man of Steel, a Flash movie, a Wonder Woman movie, maybe an Aquaman movie, new Green Lantern movie with or witout the same actors, either reboot the Batman franchise or stick with Cristian Bale, and add small cameos at the end of each movie, and just build it all up to a Justice League movie in a similar way Marvel did wih The Avengers, They just need to get a move on!!!

#66 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

@novi_homines said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Sidebar:

I honestly prefer to have DC be the top cow. I rather have Marvel as underdogs it feels more right.

( + )

This. DC characters (for the most part), are nearly perfect, incorruptible, godly, characters. Where as Marvel (for the most part) consists of flawed, vulnerable human beings who struggle with everyday life. Just seems natural for DC to be the lead dogs, and marvel the underdogs.

Lol, i'm just loving thor's run right now. And that's why I said "for the most part".

#67 Posted by lilben42 (2551 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything is possible. Marvel isn't better than DC and DC isn't better than Marvel. Look at it this way Batman had a trilogy, and a video game and he is the biggest thing in comics right now. If Man Of Steel does great WB probably will give Superman a game and stuff then Superman is the new big thing. Before you know it a Wonder Woman movie comes out and a worlds finest movie comes out. But Marvel might have something up their sleeve. Who knows?

#68 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think Batman's back hurts?... From carrying DC for over a decade now.

#69 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4810 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Comics- Marvel sells more

Movies-Marvel

Video Games- Take away Arkam Asylum what do you have? Injustice? DCvsMK? Marvel has a extremely popular (well at least in LA) versus game with Capcom. Spider-Man has decent games. I mean I genuinely don't understand how Prototype was such a great game but Web of Shadows sucked to me they're both pretty much the same game.

TV Shows-Take away Batman what do you have? XP seriously I say this is debatable. Ultimate Spider-man is the only Marvel show I've seen people complain about.

Animated Movies-Here's the real kicker Take Away... Superman and Batman what do you have? Nah seriously DC takes this but Marvel focuses more on motion comics, and I personally feel like they're "failed" animated movies are exaggerated.

( + )

Comics - true

Movies - obviously.

Video Games - I have never liked most of Marvel's games. The last one I was hyped for was MUA, and I walked away... I guess satisfied, but I did not like it as much as I'd like the Arkham series. And I would definitely say Injustice is a better game than Marvel vs DC. In recent years, DC has stepped up their game and surpassed Marvel all around.

TV shows - Arrow, Smallville, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, JL, JLU. Marvel had decent shows; not great shows. That's what separates them.

Animated movies - And I hate motion comics. But aside from that, I love Dr. Strange and Ultimate Avengers. But, as you said, DC obviously has this.

I. Video Games in recent years DC can have it, but they barely edge it out for me. Going back since 08 we have

• i.Lego Batman fine even if it is just another lego game
  • ii.DC vs MK in my opinion fails in comparison to Marvel Vs Capcom 2 but it was very popular I won't lie
  • iii. Watchmen: The End is Nigh failed
  • iv. Arkham Asylum is "the best super hero game" and I can't stop hearing people compare this game to any other super hero game.
  • v. Brave and the Bold video game was actually good
  • vi. DC Universe is good I guess I am unfamiliar with this game.
  • vii. Green Lantern video game failed.
  • viii. Arkham City of course did well
  • ix. Another Lego game Batman inspired of course
  • x.Injustice is doing very well right now

Mainly their best games are batman related not to mention a quarter of the roster on Injustice are Batman related characters.

NOW! lets see Marvel has done since 08

• i. Iron Man failed
  • ii. Hulk failed
  • iii. Web of Shadows failed but for some reason Prototype was loved (personally confused)
  • iv. X-Men Origins: Wolverine failed but did pretty good in my opinion for a failure. It got ok reviews and sold a decent amount but yes it failed.
  • v. Punisher: No Mercy failed
  • vi. Marvel Super Hero Squad failed? I honestly don't know how it did so I'm assuming it failed.
  • vii. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 did good despite to common belief/idea that it didn't.
  • viii. Iron man 2 failed
  • ix. Shattered Dimensions did real good it did so good that people "criticized" it for being similar, "stealing", and/or borrowing the gameplay of Arkham Asylum saying "I rather play Arkham."
  • x. Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet I don't know but it's a sequel
  • xi. Marvel vs Capcom 3 was a huge success
  • xii. Thor: God of Thunder failed
  • xiii. Captain America: Super Soldier failed but was like XO:Wolverine did fairly well and like Shattered Dimensions was compared to Arkham Asylum noting that the melee combat system was similar to Batman:AA and again saying they rather play the latter of the two.
  • xiv. Spider-Man: Edge of Time failed but did barely in my opinion.
  • xv. X-Men Destiny failed but I enjoyed the game it had potential. Who knows what went wrong.
  • xvi. Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat maybe failed but its predecessors were enough of a success to make yet another sequel.
  • xvii. The Amazing Spider-Man unsure but assuming it failed even if it was successful.

Now comparing them DC put out about 10 games in the past 5 years or so while Marvel put out 18 or more games. Both had video games that were tied into the movies that came out and both failed. Movie Based video games fail on both franchises, but Marvel made more movies so they made more failed games. DC's most successful games are Batman related and Injustice their newest game has a quarter of the roster being batman related. Marvel's only real successful games are Spider-Man games and versus games. Yes I'll give it to DC for making better video games but barely.

II. Animated shows

I think is very debatable and even a matter of opinion in the end

"Arrow, Smallvile, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, JL, JLU"

I have Spider-Man 90's TAS, and X-Men 90's TAS, X-Men Evolution, Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Earths Mightiest Heroes, that are Not decent shows but good or better than good as in great.

I would research the list of shows that came out in 08 till now to compare each one but I rather leave this discussion by saying it is debatable and a matter of preference neither wins by a landslide.

( + )

#70 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has better shows though. Stack up JLU, Young Justice & Brave & The Bold vs Evolution, WXM, & Avengers: EMH and the first wins. WXM had potential to be a GOAT Superhero Show if it went on for 5 years and used X-Men: TAS as inspiration

@frogdog said:

@novi_homines said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

Sidebar:

( + )

Well DC has way more iconic characters

Nor are DC characters perfect.

#71 Edited by James_Lockart (347 posts) - - Show Bio

DC increasing market share?

With a good marketing strategy that is not unlikely.

However DC marketing team kinda sucks.

Especially given the product range they have.

#72 Posted by RDClip (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

First, let me clear up some misinformation in this thread. For those that say Marvel has more money than DC because it is owned by Disney and DC us owned by WB, WB is inturn owned by Time Warner another one of the biggest media companies in the world. According to wiki, Disney total assets 74 billion (2012), Time Warner assets 68 billion (2012). So, unless Warner is undercutting funding to DC, the two companies should have about equal access to money.

Marvel is ahead of DC in terms of comic sales and general movie quality and box office profits. DC makes more and better animated movies. TV shows are debatable, but I'd give it to DC.

As far as the question of the thread goes (which had been largely ignored by posters), it is certainly possible that DC could be back as top dog again. I think what they need to do is share the spotlight a little more between their b-list characters. Instead of having Batman have 7 monthly ongoings, give him only 3 and give some lesser known character an ongoing and actually support the title rather than cancel it after 8 issues. If the writer isn't producing quality stories, drop them and get a better writer. If the sales are lacking despite quality writing, promote the book, have the hero guest on a more popular book. Maybe start more teams and have lesser characters fight side by side with the big names.

#73 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Marvel heroes were invented after the dc heroes so the marvel heroes do have some improvements over the golden age stuff and avoided some of the golden age errors and golden age silly stuff which were for kids. Currently Avengers and Iron Man are definitely more popular than Superman but Batman is doing ok with the general population also. For the general population, I don't believe Batman is that far behind Iron Man. If a batman led JL movie does well, the 2 companies will be about equal. Both Batman and Iron Man have aged better than the more mythology based Superman and Wonder Woman. Superman is actually just mythology disguised as science fiction since Superman is mostly Hercules/Samson.

#74 Posted by catfightfan (591 posts) - - Show Bio

It is possible, but only time will tell. A good Justice League film could be just what DC needs to grow fast. A new television series like Batman or Flash or Wonder Woman might help also.

#75 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think DC is technically less popular than Marvel as it stands, Batman is the hottest thing in comics present day I'd say. The thing is Marvel's non A-list characters seem to be more popular, or given a chance to shine in the public eye; whereas it appears DC lives and dies on Batman and Superman. I think DC has the better characters, but whoever is in charge seems to do an awful job of whatever it is they should be doing, where Marvel will whore out characters fairly quickly.

#76 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to start pushing Static, Arrow, & Huntress as big characters.

#77 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: they're both winning in my book. Oh and your comment seems pretty biased towards Marvel. Me I think they both have a great characters and stories.

Its not biased, its true. When it comes to the general populace Marvel is more popular. Trust me I love DC, Batman and Superman are my favs. But Marvel is kinda winning right now. I mean look at all the merchandise its putting out. Look at all those extremely popular movies, games, and tv shows. Trust me if you take a poll of the general population right now. most people will say they prefer Marvel. DC has been riding on batman's popularity while Marvel has successfully put out a bunch of characters.

#78 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

Define popularity: Is it more liked or more known?

#79 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

Define popularity: Is it more liked or more known?

More liked. By both Non-comic book fans and Comic book fans. But in my opinion, i feel that its Marvel right now. I agree with other posters that DC has had better video games and tv shows. But Movies are what brings in the majority of fans. For Example, Iron Man had his own tv show in the 90's, but that didnt significantly beef up his popularity, But when he got his own movie he went up from a b-list character to an A-list one and now he has thousands of fans. Its obvious that movies matter the most

#80 Posted by spidershamrock (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Marvel are more popular in terms of movies, I think they'll be top dog. I used to be exclusively Marvel but as I grew up and my tastes became more grounded I became more of a DC fan

#81 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern comics is now outselling Superman and it is unfortunate that Warner made too many mistakes with the last Green Lanern movie. Warner just needs to do a reboot movie for Green Lanern. Dc just needs something like gen 13 movies to combat the marvel x-men movie franchise. I think the x-men is more dated than gen 13 since gen 13 is based on the more contemporary biotech. Biotech can easily change the human species in upcoming years and nobody has to ever rely on accidental mutations. Marvel is tryng to do Guardians of the Galaxy like Star Wars and dc should start using its United Planets mythology in the 21st century since marvel now has the Council of Worlds. Dc has the edge on magic characters and we already have an old Constantine movie. Dc can easily do more magic movies like Books of Magic, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Demon, etc. Dc also has some nice sounding brand names like Starman, Wildcat, Karate Kid that can easily be rebooted as modern movies.

#82 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

DC>Marvel

#83 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5472 posts) - - Show Bio

Animation DC hands down, almost everything else Marvel. DC's Big 3 are recognized worldwide though.

#84 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Marvel heroes were invented after the dc heroes so the marvel heroes do have some improvements over the golden age stuff and avoided some of the golden age errors and golden age silly stuff which were for kids. Currently Avengers and Iron Man are definitely more popular than Superman but Batman is doing ok with the general population also. For the general population, I don't believe Batman is that far behind Iron Man. If a batman led JL movie does well, the 2 companies will be about equal. Both Batman and Iron Man have aged better than the more mythology based Superman and Wonder Woman. Superman is actually just mythology disguised as science fiction since Superman is mostly Hercules/Samson.

Man of Steel looks to change that.

#85 Posted by PowerHerc (84386 posts) - - Show Bio

Possible but doubtful.

#86 Posted by Jack Donaghy (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel owes A LOT of their current popularity to Robert Downey Jr. if his take on Tony Stark wasn't so loved by general audiences there most likely wouldn't be an Avengers movie. Take him out of the picture and you're stuck with a DC situation, swap nonstop Batman and Superman movies/tv shows with nothing but Spider-Man and X-Men movies/tv. They only have one character who has the ability to be on the Batman/Superman/Joker popularity level and that's Spider-Man, I think once RDJ steps down from playing Stark the GA is going to stop caring about the character and he'll go back to being a B-lister.

After all there is a reason the character had been around since the early 60's but only got popular on a mainstream level in 2008, it's clear people love RDJ and he's the draw, people don't really care about Iron Man, imo they care about Robert Downey Jr. Who knows where the MCU would be without him. Plus people are ignoring that DC DOES try lesser known characters (GL and Jonah Hex) but the public didn't care for them

#87 Edited by James_Lockart (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy:

Well said. Makes a lot of sense. If IM would have tanked then Marvel movies would be far less of a commodity.

RDJ did good for Marvel.

Some others made a point about DC needing to push other characters.

I agree 100%. Image has far less than what DC never uses to half its potential (Majestic, StaticShock, MM etc.) but they manage a share of 7-9% in the comics market.

Perhaps they should take their most neglected characters and do more, eh? Marvel does it.

#88 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Dc should hire Robert Downey Jr to play Batman.

#90 Posted by jhazzroucher (15875 posts) - - Show Bio

DC will not surpass Marvel for as long as Wolverine, Iron Man , Spiderman and Storm are always appearing

#91 Posted by Jack Donaghy (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

DC will not surpass Marvel for as long as Wolverine, Iron Man , Spiderman and Storm are always appearing

I know this is your M.O. and I'll probably hate myself in the morning for even bothering to ask this but do you honestly think Storm is even remotely close to the popularity level of Spider-Man, Wolverine or Iron Man? Should've replaced her with Cap or Thor.

#92 Posted by TheVoiceOfReason (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is winning in movies but I think DC takes it in the animation department. And leading comic sales often switch between the two. Not sure about video games. Marvel is winning in the general popularity at the moment but it could change easily. And no matter how you look at it Batman and Superman are still and most likely will forever still be the most iconic comic book characters of all time.

#93 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm is a nobody in the long run. She's not even the top X-Woman. Jean Grey & Rogue have her beat in that department.

#94 Edited by Outside_85 (9215 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as long as DC continues to staff most of its editorial and advertising departments with fools and people who are living in the 90'ties.

#95 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

One word: Batman. Nuff said.

#96 Edited by dum529001 (1634 posts) - - Show Bio

As another poster has already said....

DC does well with animation.

They're comics are good too. I know they aren't perfect but no one really is.

They just rely on Batman and Superman too much. They don't let other characters shine nearly as much.

In the DC universe, if you're not Batman or Superman, you are considered worth less than crap(but we know how untrue that is).

#97 Posted by Havenless (1351 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by dum529001 (1634 posts) - - Show Bio