• 95 results
#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that some will disagree, but for years Marvel has been the top dog of comic book publishers. Their ability to promote their characters in a way that feels human and relatable is what made them popular in the first place. But now that marvel has been constantly releasing highly successful movies, Tv shows, and video games that promote multiple sides of their Universe, it seems that Marvel has secured their first place spot with comic book fans and non-comic book fans for years to come. But is it possible that DC could make a comeback and take back its spot as the top dog?

#2 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

hahahahahahhahaha

DC has much better animated shows/movies right now. We're also seeing a massive push for DC characters in other media like video games and television programming thanks to DC nation. It's only in live action movies that Marvel is winning but Man of Steel will surely start a DCCU. Marvel is now constantly having events every few months and changing up their source material to match with the movies(did we really need Nick Fury Jr in Earth 616?)

#3 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know man. DC is struggling to make anything without Batman and Superman in it work, meanwhile Marvel is going to release a movie with a talking raccoon in it and it will probably be amazing while DC can't even get their premier team a movie. I do hate the Marvel events though, and their double shipping makes it seem like they are whooping DC in sales when it's more that they are releasing more of their core titles every months instead of more titles overall. That being said I could care less about the majority of DC's titles right now 52 is a large net to cast over that universe and to say I'm only reading 3 titles from them speaks to my interests at least. Most of the 5-13 yr olds I know can name handfuls of Marvel characters, Batman and Superman.

#4 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

MARVEL is winning, get over it.

But in my opinion DC will surpass Marvel in General Popularity once they stop over using Superman and Batman plus keep giving people like Kaldur, Starfire, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Shazam, and et cetera more time in the spotlight.

IN MY OPINION but the 1st sentence is a fact... get over it.

( + )

#5 Edited by AdamtheSubmariner (107 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, it is semi riding on man of steel and the potential of justice league.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24682 posts) - - Show Bio

They have generally swung back and forth, there was a time when DC was bigger then the Lee/Kirby era came and Marvel stepped up, then DC stepped up again around the time of COIE and held the top spot until the 90s. Actually given the track record its probably about time for DC to swing back into the top spot.

#7 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know man. DC is struggling to make anything without Batman and Superman in it work, meanwhile Marvel is going to release a movie with a talking raccoon in it and it will probably be amazing while DC can't even get their premier team a movie. I do hate the Marvel events though, and their double shipping makes it seem like they are whooping DC in sales when it's more that they are releasing more of their core titles every months instead of more titles overall. That being said I could care less about the majority of DC's titles right now 52 is a large net to cast over that universe and to say I'm only reading 3 titles from them speaks to my interests at least. Most of the 5-13 yr olds I know can name handfuls of Marvel characters, Batman and Superman.

It's not DC that's struggling. It's WB, who unlike Marvel which has its own studio to focus on superhero movies, focuses on other properties as well.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24682 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: WB handles DC in a stupid fashion, they have the world's most recognizable heroes yet they can't wrap their heads around getting them out the way Marvel has. I love GOTG but there is absolutely no justifiable reason that Groot will make it into a major motion picture before Wonder Woman does.

#9 Edited by Farkam (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

Not anytime soon. They have better/quality TV shows, cartoons and animated movies. Live action movies wise they have pretty much failed (asides from Batman and maybe Superman).

#10 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

DC makes much better games, and animated stuff

While Marvel just whores their stuff out, marvel isn't more popular its just more publicized

But personally i feel until their hero's stop being pardon the pun gods who walk among us...they'll never be as likable as marvels down to earth and damaged heroes

#11 Posted by The Stegman (23145 posts) - - Show Bio

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: WB handles DC in a stupid fashion, they have the world's most recognizable heroes yet they can't wrap their heads around getting them out the way Marvel has. I love GOTG but there is absolutely no justifiable reason that Groot will make it into a major motion picture before Wonder Woman does.

Sad, but true.

#12 Edited by drgnx (3550 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been like this for a while: DC has strong showings with their top 3 to 5 (their top two being the most popular and imitated characters in the industry) while marvel seems to have a better overall grasp on the popularity. It works just fine IMHO.

#13 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

DC had this on lock forever and squandered it.

Marvel was a lot wiser in how it handled its stuff then and now that Disney owns it Marvel will stay on top.

Unless Disney acquires DC too..then who knows what happens.

#14 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Sad, but true.

Groot is a Jack Kirby created character. Jack Kirby for the win.

#15 Edited by LimpoyzLoan (1630 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Then Dreamworks acquires DC? Lol.

Maybe. I hate that Dreamworks have Turok Son of Stone, Magnus Robot Fighter, and Solar man of the Atom, already. They are going to be forgotten about.

#17 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: Eh, I guess they could do pretty well with the characters. They did a pretty good job with the superhero medium in Megamind, I have to admit. Although I don't want to see Superman look like a caricature.

#18 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

DC/ Marvel are on pretty equal footing with animated series. But Marvel set a precedent and broke down barriers with what they did with Avengers, and how each movie connected seamlessly to produce the Avengers. Now, they're pumping out at least 2-4 live action movies every year. DC still struggles with the concept of making a justice league movie (do it like marvel, or do a superman/batman, or just jump straight into a JL movie.) But looking at marvel, on to phase 2, bringing characters like Dr. Strange and Ant Man to the big screen before characters like wonderwoman or Aquaman even could.

And with Coulson starring in the new tv show Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, you have a possibility of tying in their cinematic universe, with their network television universe. Nick Fury (Sam Jackson) could definitely make an appearance on the show. Or Coulson could, and most likely would, be in Avengers 2 while also being in the tv show. Tying the two universes together. Just think about that. This is something that we just didn't even envision, definitely not this soon. I'm not saying it's impossible for DC to overtake marvel in terms of overall popularity, but it would take a VERY long time. However everyone has different takes on what's popular and what's not.

#19 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

It goes back and forth. But right now, with the MCU being such a prolific success (both critically and in viewership), it's Marvel's time.

#20 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

You're absolutely right. That being said I'd much rather see that giant tree-thing in a movie rather than WW, and there's my point. Marvel is better at convincing me to like their characters.

#21 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: they're both winning in my book. Oh and your comment seems pretty biased towards Marvel. Me I think they both have a great characters and stories.

#22 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

MARVEL is winning, get over it.

But in my opinion DC will surpass Marvel in General Popularity once they stop over using Superman and Batman plus keep giving people like Kaldur, Starfire, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Shazam, and et cetera more time in the spotlight.

IN MY OPINION but the 1st sentence is a fact... get over it.

( + )

This. This is what really annoys me. In the past decade Its been all superman, or batman in live action (splash of Green Lantern, but we all can agree to forget about that). Why was Man of Steel chosen over maybe a Wonder Woman movie, or Martian Manhunter movie? Those would be much more unique and interesting movies to do in my opinion. And this isn't only reflected in their live action movies, but their comics, and tv shows as well. There is no reason why "Beware the Batman" should even be created. Batman has had more than enough animated tv shows. Again, give a Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman or Flash tv show a shot.

With marvel, they spread everything around, and everyone seems to be on equal footing. I'm so glad that characters like Doctor Strange, and Ant Man not only have a chance of going live action, but actually are going live action. I fear it would be at least another 5 -10 yrs before characters like Martian Manhunter, or Flash, make it to the big screen. In all seriousness, we might see a Black Panther movie before we see a wonder woman movie. And that just should not happen.

It all goes back to DC as a whole valuing Superman and Batman much more than everyone else in all facets of media and entertainment. There's nothing wrong with valuing these two heroes over others, but they definitely need to have it be a little more balanced than it is now.

#23 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines

I think Man of Steel is justified - Superman Returns was a dismal flop and the original movie was made way back in the 70s. I think it's about time for a reinterpretation of the character for modern audiences. Because as much as I love the original Christopher Reeve movie, Superman as the premier hero of DC badly needs a modern version. And after the success of the Dark Knight Trilogy, it only feels right to push Superman next. DC needs to reintroduce their most well-known characters to the 21st century first, before the rest can follow.

That being said...I do agree with the rest of the spirit of your message. Batman is my number one favorite hero ever, but when Beware the Batman was announced, I just rolled my eyes. We've already had BTAS, the New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, The Batman, and Brave and the Bold - all in the span of about a decade. Was it really necessary to introduce another Batman series? Kids already know Batman, it's time other characters get a bit of a push.

I guess here lies the flaw of DC. Whereas Marvel pushes all of their different properties - even before the MCU came out, Spider-Man, Hulk, and the X-Men were all household names. And now they've got Iron Man, the Avengers, and other lesser-known heroes like Ghost Rider, Punisher, or Blade. But DC continually clings onto Superman and Batman. If we're lucky, some younger kids might recognize the Justice League or the Teen Titans, but beyond that, it's just Supes and Bats alone that have to represent DC. Part of me wonders if Green Lantern had made it big the same way Iron Man did - DC might have continued to push their lesser-known characters and created their own cinematic world.

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidebar:

I honestly prefer to have DC be the top cow. I rather have Marvel as underdogs it feels more right.

( + )

#25 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

Sidebar:

I honestly prefer to have DC be the top cow. I rather have Marvel as underdogs it feels more right.

( + )

This. DC characters (for the most part), are nearly perfect, incorruptible, godly, characters. Where as Marvel (for the most part) consists of flawed, vulnerable human beings who struggle with everyday life. Just seems natural for DC to be the lead dogs, and marvel the underdogs.

#26 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark

I agree with everything you said. Its interesting because the only lesser known character that is in a sort of spot light right now is Green Arrow with "Arrow", and i'm loving the show SO much. So much in fact that I went as far as picking up the comic, which I have also really been enjoying. Would be really cool if this transferred over to animated shows as well. If something hasn't been seen before (flash, or MM) suddenly become animated tv shows, chances are it'll be really popular not only among DC fans, but comic book fans in general .

#27 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines

Yeah, Arrow's definitely getting some love. It's a pity they're not broadcasting it where I live, though I did manage to watch the first episode through...less-than-legal sources. Another instance I can think of is Static - which was actually a pretty successful animated series as I recall, proving that lesser-known characters can hold their own. DC definitely needs to push their other properties outside of comics. Comic-book readers know about B-list heroes like the Question or Blue Beetle, but the general public doesn't. It's a damn shame that Young Justice and Green Lantern were both cancelled.

#28 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines

Yeah, Arrow's definitely getting some love. It's a pity they're not broadcasting it where I live, though I did manage to watch the first episode through...less-than-legal sources. Another instance I can think of is Static - which was actually a pretty successful animated series as I recall, proving that lesser-known characters can hold their own. DC definitely needs to push their other properties outside of comics. Comic-book readers know about B-list heroes like the Question or Blue Beetle, but the general public doesn't. It's a damn shame that Young Justice and Green Lantern were both cancelled.

Yes! I loved static! Maybe it resonated with me so much because it was different ( not batman or superman) Maybe thats also why I like Arrow so much. Breathes fresh air into my DC consumption. And don't even get me started on YJ and GL. Marvel struggles with keeping quality shows on the air as well. See Spectacular Spiderman and Avengers: EMH. I also really liked Iron Man: Armored Adventures. Hopefully the new avengers show and the Hulk tv show lives up to the quality set by the previous two shows that were cancelled. Same goes for teen titans go and Beware the Batman.

#29 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines

I loved Spectacular and EMH, even Wolverine and the X-Men. It seriously kills me that Marvel wants to replace these with USM, the new Avengers, and the new Hulk. I get that they want some degree of synchronicity across different media, but what was so wrong about the originals? I really hope the new Avengers series can live up to EMH's levels, but I'm not optimistic about the new Hulk. Aside from having a terrible title, the premise of the series just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not optimistic about Teen Titans Go either (we really do not need a chibi Titans series do we), but I'm hoping that Beware the Batman will at least be enjoyable.

#30 Posted by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines

I loved Spectacular and EMH, even Wolverine and the X-Men. It seriously kills me that Marvel wants to replace these with USM, the new Avengers, and the new Hulk. I get that they want some degree of synchronicity across different media, but what was so wrong about the originals? I really hope the new Avengers series can live up to EMH's levels, but I'm not optimistic about the new Hulk. Aside from having a terrible title, the premise of the series just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not optimistic about Teen Titans Go either (we really do not need a chibi Titans series do we), but I'm hoping that Beware the Batman will at least be enjoyable.

It makes no sense. I don't understand how top decision makers at DC and Marvel come to these conclusions when it comes to animated series.But yeah, the last Batman show was AWESOME! I don't know the title, there's so many that I get confused. But the most recent one that aired on Kids WB. Not Brave and the bold. I also really liked Legion of Superheroes. Did that show get cancelled too?

#31 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines

The Batman? I haven't got around to watching that one yet. I heard Legion wasn't as great, and yeah it did get cancelled.

#32 Posted by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@novi_homines

The Batman? I haven't got around to watching that one yet. I heard Legion wasn't as great, and yeah it did get cancelled.

Yeah that one. You should, it was pretty good. And i'm not surprised about legion. I remember really licking and sticking to it in the first half of season one, then I eventually just stopped watching it. Maybe it just started getting bad.

#33 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

... uh...

Comics - debatable

Movies - Marvel

Video games - DC

TV shows - DC

Animated movies - DC

... so...

#34 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

... uh...

Comics - debatable

Movies - Marvel

Video games - DC

TV shows - DC

Animated movies - DC

... so...

Just for the sake of debating

Comics- Marvel sells more

Movies-Marvel

Video Games- Take away Arkam Asylum what do you have? Injustice? DCvsMK? Marvel has a extremely popular (well at least in LA) versus game with Capcom. Spider-Man has decent games. I mean I genuinely don't understand how Prototype was such a great game but Web of Shadows sucked to me they're both pretty much the same game.

TV Shows-Take away Batman what do you have? XP seriously I say this is debatable. Ultimate Spider-man is the only Marvel show I've seen people complain about.

Animated Movies-Here's the real kicker Take Away... Superman and Batman what do you have? Nah seriously DC takes this but Marvel focuses more on motion comics, and I personally feel like they're "failed" animated movies are exaggerated.

( + )

#35 Edited by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics- Marvel sells more

Movies-Marvel

Video Games- Take away Arkam Asylum what do you have? Injustice? DCvsMK? Marvel has a extremely popular (well at least in LA) versus game with Capcom. Spider-Man has decent games. I mean I genuinely don't understand how Prototype was such a great game but Web of Shadows sucked to me they're both pretty much the same game.

TV Shows-Take away Batman what do you have? XP seriously I say this is debatable. Ultimate Spider-man is the only Marvel show I've seen people complain about.

Animated Movies-Here's the real kicker Take Away... Superman and Batman what do you have? Nah seriously DC takes this but Marvel focuses more on motion comics, and I personally feel like they're "failed" animated movies are exaggerated.

( + )

Comics - true

Movies - obviously.

Video Games - I have never liked most of Marvel's games. The last one I was hyped for was MUA, and I walked away... I guess satisfied, but I did not like it as much as I'd like the Arkham series. And I would definitely say Injustice is a better game than Marvel vs DC. In recent years, DC has stepped up their game and surpassed Marvel all around.

TV shows - Arrow, Smallville, Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, JL, JLU. Marvel had decent shows; not great shows. That's what separates them.

Animated movies - And I hate motion comics. But aside from that, I love Dr. Strange and Ultimate Avengers. But, as you said, DC obviously has this.

#36 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is still the most known superhero face in the world today

#37 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio
@nerx said:

Superman is still the most known superhero face in the world today

Followed by Batman. And Wonder Woman is easily the most recognizable female superhero.

#38 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: I have mixed feelings when dc began to shift the push to batman ,also injustice has a weird plot.

Christopher Reeves superman would have traveled back in time by spinning around the earth to stop the stupid joker plan.

#39 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio
@nerx said:

@jedixman: I have mixed feelings when dc began to shift the push to batman ,also injustice has a weird plot.

Christopher Reeves superman would have traveled back in time by spinning around the earth to stop the stupid joker plan.

In general, I don't like Injustice's main plot. Though I kinda like the unique endings in Battle mode.

#40 Posted by Teerack (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not DC that's struggling. It's WB, who unlike Marvel which has its own studio to focus on superhero movies, focuses on other properties as well.

Marvel also has it's own studio... it's called Disney...which has a lot more movie resources then WB.

#41 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

who really cares ? I'm different ...bold .... I'M NOT A MAINSTREAM PUPPET !!!!!

In seriousness. I don't care. So what Marvel is more popular, 40% of those people have never cracked open a comic :D If this was the opposite, still don't care.

I'm glad comics and the like about being accepted as legit mediums in culture. I rather see the Avengers over some kid in a boat with a tiger any day :D

#43 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

Marvel also has it's own studio... it's called Disney...which has a lot more movie resources then WB.

But they started as their own studio, did they not? Also Disney is allowing them to do whatever they want, with Disney handling the funding and marketing aspects of it.

#44 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad comics and the like about being accepted as legit mediums in culture. I rather see the Avengers over some kid in a boat with a tiger any day :D

Just because a comic book movie is good doesn't mean you should ignore other things. That movie with "some kid in a boat with a tiger" was actually really good. There is nothing wrong with expanding your horizons.

#45 Posted by Teerack (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

But they started as their own studio, did they not? Also Disney is allowing them to do whatever they want, with Disney handling the funding and marketing aspects of it.

WB started out as it's own studio as well....

#47 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

You are not seeming to get the point. Yes both WB and Marvel started out as their own studio. WB is a corporation that handles many different properties from Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings to DC. They have a wide variety of hot properties they can focus on. Marvel on the other hand was created solely to create superhero films. That's their only focus. The Disney handling of Marvel is similar to Disney's handling of Pixar. Both Pixar and Marvel create movies with no interference from Disney, and Disney handles the funding and marketing aspects.

#48 Posted by Teerack (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

You are not seeming to get the point. Yes both WB and Marvel started out as their own studio. WB is a corporation that handles many different properties from Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings to DC. They have a wide variety of hot properties they can focus on. Marvel on the other hand was created solely to create superhero films. That's their only focus. The Disney handling of Marvel is similar to Disney's handling of Pixar. Both Pixar and Marvel create movies with no interference from Disney, and Disney handles the funding and marketing aspects.

If that's what you're talking about then DC has DC Entertainment which is the same thing as Marvel Studios.

#49 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

@teerack said:

If that's what you're talking about then DC has DC Entertainment which is the same thing as Marvel Studios.

But unlike Marvel Studios, how much power does DC Entertainment have? That's the real question.

#50 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

They have the potential but they really need to get their act together and do something with it. Make decent films for characters other than Superman and Batman who - as great as they are - are becoming overused.