Avatar image for amazingfantasy15
AmazingFantasy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AmazingFantasy15

At the moment DC and Marvel are the top comic book companies but if you had to guess what company (or companies) do you think could some day match or even surpass them in terms of general success?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Stormbox

Probably never since they own the most iconic and successful characters in comic books (like superman and spider-man)

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nickthedevil

Not while they own superman, batman, Spiderman, Hulk and Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Until the other companies put most of their efforts into one world I don't see anyone overtaking those two. There are exceptions but most people in my experience, including myself, prefer having their favourite characters in one universe.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonCake

Image and Dark Horse have the potential.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By evilvegeta74

Marvel and Dc have been around like forever and i believe they have had more of their characters in the mainstream for decades it'd be hard to replace Spidey and Bats, actually I'd say almost impossible. Other companies could be successful and have , but the David and Goliath scenario doesn't apply with these two companies. This is the equivalent of fighting Superman ,Hulk, Batman, and Thor at the same time with foam rocks and a slingshot.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

@Stormbox said:

Probably never since they own the most iconic and successful characters in comic books (like superman and spider-man)

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

@CrimsonCake said:

Image and Dark Horse have the potential.

this

specially Image. All they needed was more exposure, a consistent shared universe and a bit more iconicism

drreneninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#9  Edited By drreneninja

Marvel and DC definitely have the most recognizable characters in comics. IDW, Dark Horse and Dynamite publish more from recognizable brands (Transformers, Dr Who, Conan, GI Joe, Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, etc), so they do have potential to increase their sales, but only while those brands are popular. I think these companies are and definitely will stay as a respectable brands, but they will still not become as well known as DC or Marvel.

The only company (as of right now) that produces primarily original material that has a shot at joining DC and Marvel is Image. Walking Dead is highly recognizable, and its sales are strong, and it has a popular TV show. A few other of their comic series sell very well as well (ex. Sagas). Personally, I think what they really need is some more exposure. Have several other comic series become TV shows/movies, etc. I don't think Image can ever have a "shared universe" simply because everything is creator owned, and are not licensed properties , unless multiple creators join together to make a big crossover event (like Dynamite has done with its Prophecy cross-over book, joining several properties of theirs). While I don't think Image can surpass DC or Marvel, than can join them as a solid #3. IMHO, they already are the #3 comic publisher, but not quite yet on the same level as DC or Marvel.