Will any of the New 52 #1 issues become Iconic?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Previously, I have identified iconic #1 issues and compared the original #1s to these New 52 #1 titles. Today, I thought I would ask the question, "Will any of the New 52 become Iconic?"

What does it mean to be Iconic?

I don't know about all of you, but i think a comic should have a unique cover to be remembered; that makes the consumer more interested in it. For me, if this is not the first time a character has appeared, we should have a refreshment on what the character is like, mixed with a story which is new. The story must face the test of time and still be popular years after ward to be iconic.

So what is you oppinion?

If someone were to find one of the first issues of the New 52 comics seventy years in the future, would that comic be worth anything? Consider this: Action comics #1 (the first one) was published Seventy Three years ago. In the time sense, it has become the most iconic #1 issue around. In addition, most original prints of the issue have become worth (depending on the quality) from $350,000 to over 1 Million Dollars!

Would He buy an Action Comics #1?
Would He buy an Action Comics #1?

This might be caused by the fact that they published only 200,000 copies in the first run. According to one source:

The first issue proved to be very successful that the next print run of the series would soon reach 1,000,000 copies per month

So would avalability be a factor in the iconic-ness of a comic? If that is true, then will this new age of comics affect the New 52's value? I mean, Action comics #1 (the new one) is going to have its 3rd printing! I don't have the figures, but thats a lot of comics! and with help of sites like Comixology, more people have access to it digitally. So, with this masive amount of Action Comics #1, what will the value of an issue 70 years from now be? Will it be less? and how would digital comics fit in?

End Questions

So, What do YOU think? Are any of them iconic? What price will they be like? why do you think it would be? I want to hear from you!

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By cyberninja

Who knows, may be 50 years from now they will become iconic. 

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@cyberninja said:

indeed

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheRedRobin96

Very good arctical! Same with the looking back and forth at issue 1's! I think that Superman, Batman, Detective Comics and Action Comics will renumber when it hits its 1,000 issue mark which wont make it quite as valuable. But I am hoping I am very wrong about that. Justice League probably will, because that comic was the "corner stone" of the reboot and the "leader" as some may say of the New 52 so that will be an iconic comic. First printing are going for 50 now on eBay so I am guessing in 70 years it will be worth quite a bit!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

I doubt any of the current DCnU crop will reach their 100th issue. They will be re-booted again, and again..

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@TheRedRobin96 said:

Very good arctical! Same with the looking back and forth at issue 1's! I think that Superman, Batman, Detective Comics and Action Comics will renumber when it hits its 1,000 issue mark which wont make it quite as valuable. But I am hoping I am very wrong about that. Justice League probably will, because that comic was the "corner stone" of the reboot and the "leader" as some may say of the New 52 so that will be an iconic comic. First printing are going for 50 now on eBay so I am guessing in 70 years it will be worth quite a bit!

hmm...I'm hoping they will too. Perhaps it will be like what trading cards are and their value will increase depending on what printing they are from...

@turoksonofstone said:

I doubt any of the current DCnU crop will reach their 100th issue. They will be re-booted again, and again..

as much I want to disagree, I have to agree...Here's hoping I'm wrong...

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@turoksonofstone said:

I hope your wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two the Flash wakes up and it was all a dream lol. I imagine at least some of the New 52 will fall by the wayside but I would love to see the 52 hold the momentum it had the first month.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By thehummingbird

I think Batwoman has a good chance in the regard of simply how unique it is. The artwork alone I would say is iconic, combo this with Kathy's unconventional hero style and plot line and I think you could potentially have one of the most iconic memorable and creative comic books of all time.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@thehummingbird said:

I think Batwoman has a good chance in the regard of simply how unique it is. The artwork alone I would say is iconic, combo this with Kathy's unconventional hero style and plot line and I think you could potentially have one of the most iconic memorable and creative comic books of all time.

that is true.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@turoksonofstone said:
I think some Batman and Superman titles will hit it. The others.... we'll see.
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By fodigg

It won't matter in the long run, but it'll matter long enough for a generation of comic book fans to think of it as "their" generation of superheroes, so when the current developers are out and new developers are bringing back Wally West and Donna Troy, etc, people will be pissed that all these Silver Age characters are being pulled from the books even though none of them ever read silver age stuff.

jeloboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeloboy

BATMAN!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@jeloboy said:

BATMAN!

so, you think Batman #1 will become iconic? (I'm not agianst it as I didn't read it enough to make any conclussion myself, just curious if that was what you meant...)

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Outside_85

Think considering something iconic is only going to happen years after its publication when people begin flinging out the term in casual conversation and the majority agreeing with it.
But I think the simpler covers have a better shot at becoming iconic, like Action Comics and Wonder Woman have better shots when compared to something like Justice League though its entirely possible it will also reach that status (Perez proved that with WW #1).

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By chalkshark

No. Not a single one. The reason that Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Batman#1, & Sensation Comics#1 are iconic books is because they introduced the world to iconic characters. Superman, Batman, Robin & Wonder Woman have been in continuous publication for 70+ years. They've permeated pop culture on all levels. Their image has become ubiquitous world wide. DC's "new" 52 initiative didn't launch a single truly new character. Yes, all the Blackhawks are original, but the brand name is not. Characters like Batwoman & Batwing may have never featured in their own titles, but they still debuted somewhere else. That debut has a better chance of becoming iconic, one day in the far future, than the first issue of their self named series. Assuming of course, that the characters can sustain their popularity & not be lost to obscurity. With the comic industry waning, that's a tall order.  

Roll back to the late 80's, when DC relaunched their titles & characters after the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Byrne's Superman # 1 sells for $4.00 today. Perez's Wonder Woman #1 also sells for $4.00. The first issue of The Flash, this time featuring Wally West in the costume, only goes for $10.00. To contrast that, Wally West's actual first appearance, as Kid Flash, in Flash #110, goes for $2, 400.00. With all the reversals that have occurred to the characters in the ensuing years, Perez & Byrne's version of Superman & Wonder Woman can't be said to really exist anymore. As it stands right now in the "new" 52, neither does Wally West. It's very possible the same kind of reversals will eventually revert those iconic characters back to type in the "new" 52. Not that they're really changed that much now. "New" 52 Superman is still just  Superman. He's still based in Metropolis. His supporting cast is still Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, & Perry White. His primary adversary is still Lex Luthor. He was actually more different that time he spent as "Electric Blue" Superman. Not only did his costume change, but he had a completely different power set, as well. At best, maybe one of the costume designs could, eventually be considered iconic. That's a long shot, though. The only time I've ever seen that happen is with Spider-Man's black costume. 

As loudly as they crow about it, DC didn't really bring anything new to the table, with their 52 initiative. They updated their pre-existing characters, introduced a few characters to carry the torch of older brand names, & allowed some lesser known character to have a shot at the big time, by starring in their own titles. If there's anything of an iconic nature to grow out of this initiative, I haven't seen it, yet. There's always the possibility that one of the team books will create a new character that escalates  to iconic status, like a Wolverine or a Venom. Time will tell.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@chalkshark: that is very insightful...

Avatar image for victoriancuckoo
victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By victoriancuckoo

No idea, but I'm confused, does the New 52 still consider Crisis on Infinite Earths? If so when does 'Supergirl' take place?

victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By victoriancuckoo
@chalkshark interesting read
chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By chalkshark
@victoriancuckoo: Confusion is the status quo of the "new" 52. The powers that be have stated that Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Zero Hour, & all other crisis type events never happened... until such time as they reverse their position & decide that they did. This would seem to suggest that all those crises that the Justice League of America & the Justice Society of America got together for, every summer, to deal with, also never occurred. I'm not reading Supergirl, so I don't know if her current story takes place in the now, or in the past. This, though, is the "new" 52 Supergirl & while she duck walks & duck talks like the previous post-Crisis Supergirl, & even somewhat like the pre-Crisis Supergirl, she should not be confused with either of those characters. Until the writer... or the next writer... or the writer after that... says otherwise, consider her continuity/history to only be as long as the book has been published, which I believe is about three months now. Trying to reconcile the current versions of DC characters with their previous incarnations, however desperately you may need to, will only give you a brain aneurysm. I don't recommend it.
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@cyberninja said:

Maybe

victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By victoriancuckoo
chalkshark that's interesting, so basically it's set on 'Earth 52', that actually makes more sense to me than trying to fit all of their storylines into a single continunity.
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@victoriancuckoo said:

chalkshark that's interesting, so basically it's set on 'Earth 52', that actually makes more sense to me than trying to fit all of their storylines into a single continunity.

espeshelly if they are trying to gear toward new readers...

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Poet said:

@victoriancuckoo said:

espeshelly if they are trying to gear toward new readers...

This

& The fact they're pretty much in a similar universe the YG TV Series is in

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

You never know I guess it depends what happens with the new reboot in the future.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@haydenclaireheroes said:

You never know I guess it depends what happens with the new reboot in the future.

thats true...