Why You Should Watch Nick's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

New episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are almost here! The show has been a massive success for the channel, earning critical acclaim and a whole lot of love from fans. It's no secret we here at Comic Vine dig the show, and if you've missed it, we're here to tell you why you need to fix that mistake and tune in this weekend.

Goongala!
Goongala!

Fun for the whole family

When Nick first began to promote the show, many were understandably concerned it would focus solely on attracting a younger audience. The animation and character designs give off a much "friendlier" vibe and the promotions pretty much relied on quick gags. Longtime fans of the franchise thought they'd be left in the dust and this latest incarnation of the Heroes of in a Half Shell would just be a blatant attempt at selling more toys to the younglings. Thankfully, that's not the case. Okay, it's technically a titan when it comes to selling figures, but the exceptional quality of the show motivates older fans to buy 'em, too!

Since the premiere episode, this program has done a surreal job creating a whole new generation of fans while also giving some serious fan service to longtime supporters of the franchise. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has paid plenty of respect to the former versions of TMNT. They've brought back numerous characters from different generations, but instead of feeling like a blatant rehash, there's refreshing changes and they're often very well written. Sure, it's a bummer Bebop and Rocksteady aren't in it, but Dogpound and Fishface are sure to grow on you. Even if they don't, the latest development with one of them is certain to pique your interest. The doses of nostalgia are by no means in short supply, either. The team behind this show clearly loves tapping into the past and they've sprinkled hints of the '80s and '90s in a creative and smile-inducing manner. Fans of older horror films will find a lot to love, too. There's two whole episodes that are blatantly inspired by Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing. And after watching the show, it's safe to say you'll want a Space Invaders spinoff. Young or old, this show's a blast.

No Caption Provided

So much ninja action

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles continues to deliver a massive amount of joyous action scenes. From the team facing off against each other in sparring to duking it out with all different kinds of mutants, the action scenes have been majorly satisfying. Once their eyes go all-white, it's go time. Sometimes there's a strong emphasis on comedy and other times it's impressively dark (like their first encounter with Shredder or Slash), but no matter what the tone may be, the battles are always really energetic and just tons of fun to watch. Also, the Foot are now robots, so yes, this means the team can totally unleash with their weapons. Heck, even observing them flip across rooftops and take a moment to strike a seriously cool pose is something we see often and is greatly appreciated.

Mikey and Donny aren't left in the dust

No Caption Provided

A lot of TMNT stories have revolved around Raphael and/or Leonardo while Michelangelo and Donatello were pretty much just supporting characters. With this show, everyone gets proper credit and each character has had several episodes revolve around them.

Leonardo struggles to direct the team and evolves as a leader. Donatello's emotions and mastery of technology are put to the test. Mikey may be providing most the laughs, but we get some opportunities to cut to the core of who he is and why. And Raph... well, poor ol' Raph still deals with rage issues every now and then. They're familiar topics with each character but they're presented in a hugely entertaining manner and no one's left behind. Each Turtle -- and even Splinter and Shredder -- receive plenty of love.

Brings the funny

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles keeps us laughing. Whether it's a super lowbrow gag, a crazy emphasis on exaggerated expressions or a really sharp remark, each episode always has at least a handful of very strong laughs. Each voice actor does a terrific job with their lines as well. Greg Cipes is beyond lovable as Mikey; Jason Biggs nails it as Leonardo; Sean Astin delivers a humanized approach to Raph; and Rob Paulsen (yes, the voice of classic Raph!) does a wonderful job with Donatello's personality. You can always tell they're never just reading through the lines to get it over with -- there's passion in the performances and it's definitely noticed. Plus, where else will you see Michelangelo briefly have a tattoo of 1987 Michelangelo on his face or experience some of the best Kraang dialogue ever?

Change is okay, people

They may not be quite as mature as the 2003 team and they may not have the same catch phrase as the 1987 team, but everything that truly matters about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters and mythos is still intact. They're funny, lovable, badass, and most important of all, they're a family that will do anything and everything to stand by one another. You're missing out if you consider yourself a TMNT fan and haven't given this show an honest chance. Seriously, it's fantastic.

No Caption Provided

A new episode of 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' will air this Sunday, Feb. 2, at 11am (ET/PT) on Nick. We'll have a review posted later that day, but in the meantime, you can check out a clip from the upcoming episode here.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

My son loves watching this show with me. So Much Fun!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

"Why You Should Watch Nick's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

Uh, because it's AWESOME. I bought the season 1 box set for my five year-old and I've enjoyed it more than he has. It's great. And this is from someone who actually wasn't that into the Turtles as a kid.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#3  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Still want more TMNT lore, but enjoying the series so far. Hope they go on for at least another season. Maybe two if they want to tell more stories.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BatteredArmor

It's pretty good, I'm not crazy about all of the characterizations but It's good for what it is.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Me and my brother always watch this

j4zzm4n88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By j4zzm4n88

Indubitably this show is the excrement. It is just amazing and hits all the right notes. Just when I lost faith in animation after the cancellation of YJ and GLTAS this came along and filled that void and then some. Best animated version of the Turtles by far. Booyakasha indeed.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

You disappoint me k4tz. You said you weren't rolling in 'dem BayBucks anymore!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Cause its a good show

Avatar image for nicholasthemata
nicholasthemata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet this show could've used an article like this a year ago when the show fricken started. lol jk

The show IS pretty cool.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Love this show. Best turtles adaptation ever IMO

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admit, I didn't think I'd like the show given the animation choice, and it took some time to get over Beast Boy's voice coming out of Mikey's mouth, but I'd be a liar if I said it didn't grow on me after the first couple episodes. I've had a brilliant time watching it, and I've come to love all the turtles in their own way. Splinter is perhaps the most refreshing. He's different from how the traditional sensei role is portrayed on a kid's show. He teaches actual lessons you'd expect a ninja master to teach his sons, like not fighting fair and that it's completely okay to want to upgrade your arsenal and forgo tradition.

My favorite line of his so far is

"The first rule of being a ninja is to do no harm... Unless you mean to do harm, then do LOTS of harm!"

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: I really like the movie adaptation. I can't believe it was released 7 years ago.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it can even be fairly compared to the great earlier seasons of the 2003 series but to each his own

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seem to remember this show having the same writers as the Teen Titans cartoon.

I wanted to like that show, but it didn't work out for me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mikey use to be funny and care free, I had to get use to him being written as a homer simpson, but he is still cool. Even better my least fave character Donnie became my fave in this show

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TMNT 2012 is such a well rounded show. I enjoy it even more than the 2003 TMNT cartoon. The plots aren't childish, the comedy isn't childish, and the action is great. It's a show that both adults and children can enjoy.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@peppeyhare said:

I don't think it can even be fairly compared to the great earlier seasons of the 2003 series but to each his own

Second that.

kuma_far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kuma_far

Having the same Casting Director (Sarah Noonan) as Avatar doesnt hurts either.

Is a great show, I like seeing Splinter a bit younger and much more badass than usual. All the characters are fucking awesome

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kriminal

i actually prefer mikey and donnie as secondary characters to leo and raph. thats why i loved the tmnt animated movie

DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Na I'm good. Gave it a shot and I hated it.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly this is how you do a cartoon right...it's just plain fun for everyone

sonova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a couple of things you didn't touch on like the fan service to readers of the Comic as well. The frame right when they show the Title Card itself is a homage to the original debut issue cover. I was prepared to not like it, then I heard the theme song and was like "Thier off to a good start" but Mikey has never made me laugh so hard. Plus when Splinter knocks them around me and my daughter both laugh. Love it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe I'll check this show out one of these days. I wish someone on the site would promote Transformers stuff as much as TMNT.. /: it's extremely good!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Punisher mask is an interesting redesign.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

I love this show and highly recommend it to any TMNT fan, it's awesome!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

Great show, the only thing I dislike about it is Karai.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TMNT and Teen Titans Go are really good, Regular Show rulez, Adventure Time is still great with an expansive world and lore, Steven Universe is meh, Uncle Grandpa just plain SUCKS

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch shows that make my eyes bleed.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been watching TMNT since i was born in 1988 and loved almost every show that came out (not counting next mutation). For the longest time 2k3 tmnt has been my favorite turtle series. I loved the 1987 series and all but after the first 5 eps the quality of the show kinda declined but it was still fun to watch. I feel the Nick series might be best incarnation of the tmnt on tv b/c it captures the best of both worlds, instilling the action from 2k3 series with some stellar upbeat comedic tone from the 1987 series. This show is a definite must watch for any fan calling themselves a turtle fan, i just thank the stars that this series came out first before Bay's film did. I still have high hopes for the Bay movie, b/c i see and respect the originality bay is trying to conjurer into the franchise.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Lvenger

Totally agree Gregg, I'm glad I gave this show a chance since it's developed and grown in many great ways over the course of its tenure. The action is well paced, the characters resemble their comic book counterparts, the show takes lots of influence from past TMNT lore and horror/sci fi movies in its easter eggs.Which all in all makes this another great addition to the TMNT franchise. Nice article Gregg!

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey people, I haven't seen this show and for love and respect to the Turtles I don't want to illegally download the episodes, so I ask: Has this show come out in Blu-ray?

I'm so gonna buy it if it has!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@nahuel said:

Hey people, I haven't seen this show and for love and respect to the Turtles I don't want to illegally download the episodes, so I ask: Has this show come out in Blu-ray?

I'm so gonna buy it if it has!

No blu-ray as of yet, but there are DVDs.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nahuel

@k4tzm4n: Bummer... But DVD should do it by now.

Thanks.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@nahuel said:

@k4tzm4n: Bummer... But DVD should do it by now.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm really hoping they'll release a blu-ray set down the road.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: maybe they do a collection, like Game of Thrones, realising 2 seasons in Blu-ray.

All depends of us, the fans, though.

But a Blu-ray would be great.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show has definitely been awesome so far. I'll throw in one more recommendation to give it a go.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This cartoon is fantastic. I was among the skeptics when it first started but now I refuse to miss an episode. More children's cartoons should strive to be more like this show when it comes to using CG. I especially love when the Turtles go into badass mode and their eyes go white and the shading gets super intense. I think I've already laughed out loud more at this series than all the old 80's episodes put together. They got the perfect voice cast to nail both the humorous and the serious moments. Casey's new costume looks pretty ill if you ask me. Renewing the continuity like this feels so fresh to watch.

Opunaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really against this cartoon when I saw the commercials for it..."Oh, just a bunch of stupid anime expressions and crap" but after watching a few episodes, I utterly love it. Really love how they've done Krang and all of the classic characters. Such a nice, fresh take.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The thing I love about this series is that you're sure they're teenagers, mutants, ninjas, and turtles.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SPOILER ALERT!

Bebop and Rocksteady ARE almost assuredly coming! New-ish designs were seen for action figures for the Nick line (not a retro/classics line) at a UK toyfair earlier this month.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good show but I miss the 2003 series more.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k4tzm4n  Moderator

SPOILER ALERT!

Bebop and Rocksteady ARE almost assuredly coming! New-ish designs were seen for action figures for the Nick line (not a retro/classics line) at a UK toyfair earlier this month.

LINK! LINK! LINK!