Why we should care about Hawkman ? (Question)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Any hawkman fans here ? Can you guys explain for those who doesn't like and not fan of Hawkman, why should we care for Hawkman ? I mean his origins is complicated (from Prince of Egypt Golden Age to Space Guy from Thanagar Silver Age) , His personality most people find it dull, His villains is not interesting, He always argue with Green Arrow (who is fan fav) , He can fly using the "wing" meanwhile other DC Superheroes like Martian Manhunter, Superman, Captain Marvel Shazam, Wonder Woman can fly without using "wing". Seriously I want to know, until now Hawkman is kind of characters who I feel I want to like but until now I never care for him

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I too wonder if anyone here considers Hawkman their favourite superhero. Not that i'm saying he's lame, i just find it interesting.

Beata

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@spidey_jackson: I mean Hawkman design looks like an angel. It is weird that I really like angel but for some I can't never like Hawkman (I'm not saying I hate Hawkman, I don't find him interesting)

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@boynerdgeek: I find his origin and backstory to be confusing.

Beata

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: yup. His origin I think among the most complicated origins in comics. I mean we know Superman is from dying planet Krypton, Batman become who he is after his parents die meanwhile DC always change origins of Hawkman

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

Why we should care about Hawkman?

Well...

'Cause he's cool?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate: Define cool ? I mean if you say he is cool because he can fly well Superman can fly and much better he doesn't need "wing". If you say he is cool because he can fight well Wonder Woman is better Warrior, Big Barda is also strong etc

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: agree. It's hard to find something appealing about him to me, never really cared for him.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By righteous300

Hawkman is pretty awesome when there's a good writer working on him

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: he is cool, because of his overall apearance.

Winged helmet + mace + wings = bad ass. That's for the look, i really like it.

His character make him not really likeable to the other heroes. He has spartan like quotes ( doesn't talk much. When he talks, the other person doesn't really know how should react to it ). In the New52 he almost doesn't have any morals.

He has some pretty great scenes, like in New52 JLA #2 i think he Comes to the meeting converted in blood, Vibe says "you're converted in blood" and Hawkman says "it's not my blood". All these little things, in various comic books, create a look of a character that might be apealing to readers.

I'm not saying he is my favourite character ( cause he is not ) but he is not lame, or boring. Yes his origins are often complicated. But when we add all of the things that make him the character he is, it looks pretty nice.

He is the pure badass energy. :)

Saying that character A is not cool because character B can do it too is bad Logic. I can say that every hero invented after Superman is lame, because he can fly, punch, fight, he has X-vision, laser vision & stuff. Every character is lame because The One Above All can do every thing that they can? No. They are great on their own way.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: If you don't mind please recommend reading suggestion for hawkman

@wavemotioncannon: Don't get me wrong. I love the design of Hawkman which kind like Guardian Angel. But...Until now I can never be a fan of Hawkman

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: man, it's hard to define cool. Everyone thinks that cool is something diffrent. As many as there's people in the world, as many there are opinions...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Why should you care about anything?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@drfate: Fair enough about the Superman fly things however you can't deny that Hawkman personality is hard to understand. I mean all comics reader by now understand personality of Superman, Batman, Spider-man, Captain America, Wolverine Etc. Meanwhile due to constant changes Hawkman personality changes more often than any other characters. Besides lack of great story also doesn't help Hawkman either. I mean Hawkman has been around for more than 70 years but he doesn't have many great story compare to lets say Wolverine, Spider-man and even Starman have better story than Hawkman

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: yeah, maybe he doesn't have many good stories, and his origin story is kinda lame. Hwakman's personality is defined in the New52. He is basicly a brute, he doesn't care for dying or killing. That's enough.

We don't need to read all of his comic books to know the character. As you said : his personality changed so many times... And so, you can choose one that you like. The New52 personality will be the one that you will see everywhere now, and it's not that bad.

...who is starman?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's not my favorite, but he has some interesting things from what I know, he's a high ranking soldier(I didn't read his solo which should say why he's on earth)

he has Nth metal in his blood which gives him a healing factor kinda like wolverine (regrew his arm twice now), the Nth metal also defies gravity, but apparently their military uses wings like that to control their flight

he's pretty hard to kill, he took an explosion in JLU and I'm pretty sure he's coming back to life right away, same as in Futures End

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much unnecessary hate.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Every character appeals to someone on some level if given a chance. Hawkman appeals to some people, maybe because he's the closest thing to Indiana Jones we can get in DC? (Though in the New 52 that seems to be Hawkgirl on Earth-2) He appears to be uncompromising in some cases (earning him as many likes as dislikes). Some just like the visual appeal he has.

I can't say I find him interesting at all... but then again I don't find Batman or Superman interesting either, so maybe I am just missing the point.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the hell is Bruce Wayne?!

..I mean Hawkman.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By TheDandyMan

I think some of his villain are cool (most notably Shadow Thief along with Gentleman Ghost) but Hawkman himself is not that interesting in my opinion.

Baronu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause nobody wants to be a one-title pleb

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmashBrawler

Hawkman was a pretty cool character Pre-52 after Johns brought him back in his JSA run, he had kind of a Conan vibe going on. He was a pretty anachronistic character, what with his usage of weapons like maces, lances or crossbows, and his methods were often blunt and brutal but he wasn't an idiot by any means, like I said, just like Conan. This worked pretty well on the context of his backstory of an Egyptian prince that keeps resurrecting time and time again. Some may argue that Wonder Woman is kind of like this nowadays, but she's supposed to have a bit more class and decorum since she is after all an embassador of peace. Hawkman is not an embassador of anything, which gives him free reign to be as violent as he wants to.

This doesn't really work in The New 52 though since he's an alien now, which makes him look more like a violent asshole than a man out of his time.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By johnny_blaze

Read Hawkworld, JSA, Rann/Thanagarian War, and GJ's Hawkman. His New 52 run wasn't bad either. And this question should be Why should I care about Hawkman?

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By deathstroke52

I like Hawkman.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

in the New 52 he joined JLA and I found it quite interesting so i decided to buy Savage hawkman and he just wasn't what I expected. He was ok just expected better.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Hawkman's origins arent complicated. There are just multiple versions of them and certain people don't know which one sis the real one.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hawkman has major potential....he just needs a good writer

why are you hating on him....your post sounds rly childish.............are you by any chance new to comics

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate: Fair enough about the Superman fly things however you can't deny that Hawkman personality is hard to understand. I mean all comics reader by now understand personality of Superman, Batman, Spider-man, Captain America, Wolverine Etc. Meanwhile due to constant changes Hawkman personality changes more often than any other characters. Besides lack of great story also doesn't help Hawkman either. I mean Hawkman has been around for more than 70 years but he doesn't have many great story compare to lets say Wolverine, Spider-man and even Starman have better story than Hawkman

You're comparing Hawkman to a bunch of A-listers, though. Hawkman has probably barely had a fraction of the amount of attention Batman or Superman has gotten from DC. He's more along the lines of characters like Doctor Fate, Deadman, Wildcat--mostly JLA characters, in terms of how he's treated.

Yeah, he's been a victim of constant changes to his story, but I think the New 52 has a good idea of what to do with him. Yeah, he needs wings to fly, but that's just part of his physiology as a Thanagarian. It's like how Superman needs a Yellow or Blue Sun to fly, or how a good deal of Legion members need a Flight Ring.

I've only just been able to get back into comics in recent years, and I agree, there's not much for Hawkman as far as great stories go, but I still think that he can be a solid character. The Nth Metal, the fighting style, the brutality, and the possibility of him going toe-to-toe with people as powerful as Aquaman makes him a character I think worth watching.

I do wish he had more spotlight though, but it's crowded in comics. However, I think there's a great deal of room for him to develop a solid rogues gallery of note-worthy foes/rivals/supporting cast members, like Adam Strange, Lobo, Shado, Hawkwoman/girl, Golden Eagle, Slade, etc.

I think you should be interested in Hawkman because of the possibilities a character like him possess. Because of the viewpoint he brings as an alien. Because he's pretty much Wolverine with wings, really. Just he can fly and arguably has better metal.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thing150
@scouterv said:

@boynerdgeek said:

You're comparing Hawkman to a bunch of A-listers, though. Hawkman has probably barely had a fraction of the amount of attention Batman or Superman has gotten from DC. He's more along the lines of characters like Doctor Fate, Deadman, Wildcat--mostly JLA characters, in terms of how he's treated.

Yeah, he's been a victim of constant changes to his story, but I think the New 52 has a good idea of what to do with him. Yeah, he needs wings to fly, but that's just part of his physiology as a Thanagarian. It's like how Superman needs a Yellow or Blue Sun to fly, or how a good deal of Legion members need a Flight Ring.

I've only just been able to get back into comics in recent years, and I agree, there's not much for Hawkman as far as great stories go, but I still think that he can be a solid character. The Nth Metal, the fighting style, the brutality, and the possibility of him going toe-to-toe with people as powerful as Aquaman makes him a character I think worth watching.

I do wish he had more spotlight though, but it's crowded in comics. However, I think there's a great deal of room for him to develop a solid rogues gallery of note-worthy foes/rivals/supporting cast members, like Adam Strange, Lobo, Shado, Hawkwoman/girl, Golden Eagle, Slade, etc.

I think you should be interested in Hawkman because of the possibilities a character like him possess. Because of the viewpoint he brings as an alien. Because he's pretty much Wolverine with wings, really. Just he can fly and arguably has better metal.

nice post...hate to bump such a dumb thread but i had to tell u

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By devitciiu

I like Hawkman simply because I have fun explaining his "incredibly complicated" origins. Rarely if ever do I get past Fel Andar but hey, it's fun.

Also John's Return of Hawkman in JSA was great.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150: Thank you, and I think it's a valid thread. I mean, Hawkman is one of those characters with a lot of unexplored territory and he doesn't have a great deal of awesome stories centered around him so it can be a good question. I think there are a lot of characters like that. Plastic Man, Hawkman, Nightwing II, etc. for example.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150: @scouterv: sorry to say but even Legion of Superheroes have better story that Hawkman in my opinion. Go read The Great Darkness Saga or Geoff Johns Superman and Legion of Superheroes

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Boynerdgeek
ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: You mistook my post. I brought up The Legion as characters that can't fly under their own power in some cases. Hence the Flight Rings.

Vks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he is a great character!

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkman is, like Black Adam, a spray-tanned generic White guy pretending to be Middle-Eastern. The difference is, Black Adam doesn't need a female counterpart to stay relevant.