Why watch Walking Dead?

ozeol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've lately noticed that this series has been getting a massive amount of hype. Could anyone explain to me why the tv / comic book series is considered to be so special? I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre although I did like the Dawn of the Dead remake. Would I be able to get into the series if I'm only marginally interested in zombie themed stories?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because its extremely well written, awesome, epic, captivating, emotional, and interesting.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

i doubt it

beyond the zombies make up its pretty overrated. this season has been terribly campy until last week or so.

comic is a bit better paced, but still a bit meh overall imo. I only read it because my friend buys the comic and lets me read his.

I'm also not a fan of zombie genre btw.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The zombies really aren't the focus of many episodes.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

Its not really a zombie genre type of show, in fact I would argue that it has greater focus on post apocalypse survival. Even Goerge Romero stated that it was more like a soap opera than anything else.

At any rate, I feel the show is sort of over rated, there is a lot of clunker episodes with kind of poor writing and arcs where pretty much nothing happens.

I am not saying its bad. Its more watchable than a great number of shows on TV, its just not as great as AMC would like you to believe

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CuddleBear

@ozeol said:

I've lately noticed that this series has been getting a massive amount of hype. Could anyone explain to me why the tv / comic book series is considered to be so special? I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre although I did like the Dawn of the Dead remake. Would I be able to get into the series if I'm only marginally interested in zombie themed stories?

watch the pilot episode if you don't like that you won't like the show

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its extremely well written, awesome, epic, captivating, emotional, and interesting.

... Not since Season 2.

As much as I love the show and as much of a devoted fanboy I am to the franchise, the writing, acting and overall quality of the show has gone downhill ever since Frank Darabont left. Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Scott Wilson (Hershel) are the only 2 good actors left on the show IMO. All the newly introduced characters are terrible - Lizzie and Mika? I don't give 2 sh*ts about them. Them, Carl, Beth...They can't act. The whole concept of the show includes capturing human emotions - it doesn't help when the actors don't give in.

The show also tries too hard to give off the end of days/apocalypse vibe, it's gotten annoying.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

I like it, I think it's a good show. But you shouldn't listen to what others say, just rent the first season, and watch it. If you don't like that (which to me was the series' high point) you won't like what follows.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people like a zombie apocalypse.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By batmannflash

I don't like zombies, but I liked season 1. It's more than just a zombie show. It's about survival and so on.

I have yet to watch season 2

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrus said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

... Not since Season 2.

As much as I love the show and as much of a devoted fanboy I am to the franchise, the writing, acting and overall quality of the show has gone downhill ever since Frank Darabont left. Andrew Lincoln (Rick) and Scott Wilson (Hershel) are the only 2 good actors left on the show IMO. All the newly introduced characters are terrible - Lizzie and Mika? I don't give 2 sh*ts about them. Them, Carl, Beth...They can't act. The whole concept of the show includes capturing human emotions - it doesn't help when the actors don't give in.

The show also tries too hard to give off the end of days/apocalypse vibe, it's gotten annoying.

Well...I'm only on season two to be honest so I guess that's why I feel that way. Haha.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're really well written. The comic and show are both great because they are different enough that you won't get bored watching/reading one after reading/watching the other.