Why the Xmen movies are the most in depth CBMs

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lilben42

DOFP and First Class have the most depth of any CBM.

Xmen First Class

The relationship between Charles, Mystique, and Magneto greatly symbolizes Control vs Empowerment. Charles represents control as he tries to control people. It seems like the closer you are to Charles the more he tries to control you. Anyway we can see with Mystique that he tries to control her throughout the entire movie and sometimes belittles her about her appearance, not intentionally but by telling her to stay hidden he was. This gave him more control over her because she felt uncomfortable with anyone but him. Erik and Charles grew close but their opposite ideologies kept them apart. It was harder for Charles to have control over Erik.

Erik on the other hand empowered Mystique by calling her beautiful and saying she doesn't have to hide. This gave her the illusion of free will of choice but he was actually just manipulating her to join him. He believes everything he said and cares for her but he was tricking her to join him. This relationship is also what Mystique thought Charles and her relationship would be like. She wanted her and Charles against the world but Charles wanted to be a part of the world. Erik wants to be against the world. By the end of the movie Charles lost complete control over Magneto and Mystique and he lost his legs. Now they left him alone and he's in pain

Days of Future Past

We see Charles in the beginning, alone with Hank. Drinking, and in pain. He has no control over anything in his life and needs help getting out of the bed. How can he help people if he can't help himself? Mystique and Magneto both took a dark turn. They destroyed his faith, in himself. His sweet, compassionate, and loyal friend is now a killing machine. This is probably why he wanted the serum but when his powers left he didn't have an obligation to help people anymore. He can live normally.

Mystique has her own voice now. She's her own person. She's free no one is controlling her. She makes her own choices. When Charles tells her through cerebro "All you have to do is come home." Mystique says "I, "have to". You haven't changed at all Charles." She's still wants her own decisions she doesn't want to be demanded to do stuff. Mystique and Charles relationship mirrors a over protective father and a rebellious daughter.

Magneto's sense of control on mystique was shattered in this movie. He tries to control her in the phone booth by saying if she's Charles Raven or if she's mystique. But she stuck to her own principles and kept with Trask. Not to mention he tried to murder her. It'll be interesting seeing their relationship in the next movie. Charles finally learned his lesson in the end by giving Raven a choice to either kill Trask or not and by adressing his controlling tendencies. This is all just a theory based on observations by the way.

Avatar image for theflippinggrayson
TheFlippingGrayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

First Class, DOFP and Wolverine: Origins were good in my opinion but I didn't like the others as much.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FearTheLiving

No Caption Provided

First Class, DOFP and Wolverine: Origins were good in my opinion but I didn't like the others as much.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lilben42
FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: Never said otherwise. Was just shocked to see someone actually like Wolverine Origins.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA

still like marvel films better .

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roy_el

Actually while I love days of future past,I don't love first class.

All the character interaction with Xavier and Erik and Raven was really not that deep. Xavier and Erik's relationship was way too rushed to consider them close friends. Raven's motivation to leave made it seem like Charles was rejecting her true self and she was angry. But that was barely touched at all. Then she leaves her best friend and only friend because of one small argument before bedtime? Lol

First class was just little bits of character development that quickly gets blasted with powers anytime it slowed down.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. DoFP and first class are in my top 3 with TDK.

I enjoy most other ones but in the category entertainment not "real" movies.

MoS had the potential but...

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilben42

@roy_el: You could see it like that, but Charles did have a problem with control. He mentions this in DOFP and also you can see in the scene when Charles uses cerebro to contact Raven right when he says "you have to" she rolls her eyes and says you haven't changed at all Charles. I think she was tired of being restricted and controlled by Charles and thats why she went with Magneto.

I saw Erik and Charles relationship as a mutual admiration or respect. They both had qualities that they admired of each other. They made an instant bond. I don't know about you but I have definitely had that type of relationship with someone. Also they spent alot of time together. They were travelling all over the world together and trained together so I definitely would consider them close friends. I do wish they could've expanded on their friendship but its a movie.

Maybe I am thinking too much on it but I'm either right or wrong.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with a lot of your assessment of the newer X-men movies but I don't necessarily agree it makes them the best CBM's. I just saw dofp a few days ago and thought that while overall it was one of the better CBM's that it also dragged in places and could have been 20 min shorter for the better of the movie. It did a good job of seeming more like a real movie with a real plot rather than a standard CBM where everything was just leading up to the point where the good guy defeats the bad guy in a big battle. First class was also pretty good but sort of hampered by having to set the stage for the movies which were going to come after it imo. Most cbm's nowadays suffer from being overly long without real cause for it. It wasn't really clear why exactly Mystique making the choice she did would so drastically change their timeline and discontinue the other one either. The fact that she was also a mutant didn't really change the fact that Magneto had just picked up a stadium and dropped it around the white house before grabbing the box containing the president out of the ground and very nearly killing him. It would still give them a good reason for moving forward with the sentinel program.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Some of the Marvel films are good and all but I feel like movies like Days of Future Past and First Class are movies that can get by on their own merit.

They have great performances, real stakes, menacing villains, and they aren't all dependent on chasing some powerful object.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoFP was a great film, but its not in my top 3, probably comes in at 4 or 5. First class I didn't like that much, they kind of wiped their butts with what I wanted from that film.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

X-Men films, like their comic counterparts, are a cut above the rest.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Out of what two Marvel films they grabbed a powerful object?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@cattlebattle: Out of what two Marvel films they grabbed a powerful object?

The main character or characters chased a powerful object in Guardians of the Galaxy (power gem) Avengers, Captain America (tesseract) Thor sequel (power gem). It's apparently their favorite concept.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Not really when most of the films don't have them getting a powerful object

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kgb725: Yes, but they were major plot points of those films.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: There are more films that don't have them chasing one so that doesn't matter

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lilben42

@kgb725: Well in general Marvel movies are more plot driven than character driven. Which isn't a bad thing but I find character driven movies more interesting.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By flameboy298

I partially agree a few stand out above the rest.