Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

The is the foreword to the big hardback omnibus of the Immortal Iron Fist and I think it is possibly one of the greatest forewords ever written.

Kung Fu Is A Thing Of The Spirit: Why The Immortal Iron Fist Is The Greatest Story Ever Conceived And Told

There are many people in this world. Some of them are mailmen. Others are hairdressers. Even more still work at the post office. I myself am a master of the deadly fighting secrets.

You want to know my name? i could tell you my name. But then I would have to kill you, your whole family, everybody you've ever met, and everybody they have ever met to cover my trail. I am that deadly, and that hunted. You've heard of the six degrees of separation? Well i am the three degrees of totally killing you.

So instead allow me to tell you a little bit about me so you might better get to know me:

You would pass me on the street and think nothing of me, save that I am ruggedly handsome and clearly moneyed; visually I resemble nothing more than a well-to-do chap of classy breeding. Very classy breeding. But I am not a be-monocled fancy sort of lah-dee-dah how-do-you-do with a top hat and spats, but a real street-level workingman's manly man. Joe Lunchpail looks at me with awe and envy for my lunchpail is made of rubies and is filled with tastefully erotic photographs of my lady.

Now, the very most perceptive of you might intuit via your chi vessels and inner chakras that I am of noblesse oblige as our friends the Spanish would say. And that would intrigue you. Arouse you, even, if I was your type, and I probably am. Who am I, a total stranger walking past you on the streets of Chicago with a selection of magazine subscription cards in hand and ready for mailing, and why have I evoked such a strong feeling within you? Why are you compelled to kick me?

Because you, friend, have the kung fu spirit about you. And we know our own, oftentimes by scent. If you could bottle it, you could call it Hai Kung Fu (which is Japanese for 'Hello Kung Fu Master') but you cannot bottle it so don't even try. Why would you do that? It doesn't make sense and it is very stupid. Time wastingly stupid. Kung Fu masters don't waste time. They don't have time to waste.

If you are reading these words now then you are of the spirit. You have tried to kick me on the street, perhaps on your way to your own local mailbox to drop off some letters or pay some bills. And at the mailbox I have kicked back. We are brothers and sisters of the spirit of kung fu, of karate, of boxing, of whatever fighting style you find is the most awesomest. And kung fu is a thing of the spirit. All martial arts are things of the spirit. Even the spirit of kung fu is a thing of the spirit and I am a spiritual master. I mastered spirituality when I was twelve years old and made my lifes mission to keep it, and other deadly secrets like it, safe and secure inside and behind the clenched fist and brutal foot of my own savage nobility. It is not a burden to be this amazing, but rather, it is an honor. A spiritual honor.

Yes; kung fu is a thing of the spirit. And I was honored to accept the award for the Best Spirituality by the seventeen Shadow Shao-Lin Masters of Black Wuxia as a fifteen-year-old boy, not yet a man, but manly especially for a boy and proud. It was there my journey began. It was a journey that is 100% identical to your own.

You can stop reading this introduction now because it will be like reading a mirror and it will probably be a real "freak out".

I, like you, and like Daniel Rand, the hero of these pages, have discovered I was the scion of a kung-fu legacy; that my father was pushed off a mountain by his best friend; that is was a Himalayan mountain I happened to be on as a young boy of six, alongside my mother, in spite of any and all matters of logic or safety one might encounter when preparing a trek to and through the Himalayans; that mu mother, running from my dead dad's best friend, was totally eaten by wolves right in front of me, and that I then found a magical city ruled by arcane law and kung fu fighting tournaments and a woeful disregard as to the safety of its children.

You hear me? My dad is DEAD. My mom is DEAD. You best respect that. For then I punched a dragon in the face and I was a man. A man with numerous awards, a lot of money, the love and respect of a foxy boxing woman, and a golden sash. The world was my oyster, my fists were cocktail sauce, my feet just a splash of lemon. Served up over the bed of ice that was my life, I was the meal that walked like a man, kicked like a stallion, and loved like a Centaur.

These stories, friends, masters, and fellow philatelists, are our stories, you see? Our story. Singular. One story. It was Shakespeare who probably said that there's just one story and man was he right, I think.

Like you, I have fought these men and woman. I have broken their bones as they have broken mine. I have dwelled in forgotten science cities and discovered my name in books I did not write. and not the phonebook either, wisenheimer, I mean like real books, real old books, like you get on eBay. And I too have made wishes on my birthday. That most sacred and secret ritual, of blowing out a candle affixed to the top of a delicious celebratory pastry, and making your very dearest wish, was how I knew this book was created by men and women like us. Like me. That I was reading my own biography. That I had written my own biography, only it was not by me, or about me. My biography was about someone else.

The names in these pages, willfully obscured of course, betray not the identities of the heroic souls that actually lived these stories. The details are there, though, so that those of us in the know can totally have our minds "blown" by the inside jokes that make us all feel like real big shots. Our friends, foes, lovers, frenemies, Friendsters, Facebooks, and Baron Von Broheims present in these pages only serve to reinforce the realness that's about to be dropped on your ass.

This book is the real, raw deal. The stories it tells are the way we live and love our lives and lovers respectively. This is the way it really is when you are ranked on the list of the World's Most Deadliest Men. And if you're reading these words, then congratulations- - you made the list. You gambled a stamp and it really paid off. I look forward to murdering you soon.

See you at the post office!

"Count D"

Whereabouts and actual identity unknown.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I didn't read it, mostly because the title is ridiculous.

Sorry.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry.

You can tell you didn't read it by the post and now you look kinda silly

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm so getting my hands on Immortal Iron Fist for my birthday.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Was this really in a comic book? lol

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry.

That's unfortunate, it's pretty funny.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Read it. Not impressed.

While I really enjoyed The Immortal Iron Fist I definitely feel it gets a bit too much praise. Steel Serpent is great though and I would put him on my fantasy Thunderbolts team.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow. That was the most batcrap crazy - and hilarious - introduction to a comic I've ever read.

I really need to get around to reading Immortal IF. I'm a Brubaker fan, a Fraction fan, and Chinese (so the whole kung-fu thing's in my BLOOD, BOY).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Aw you really need to, it's amazing.

@ccraft said:

Yea lol I'm not sure if it was Brubaker or Fraction (they co-wrote it) that did the foreword but I think it reads like Fraction.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@shenkuei: Its not funny!!!! HIS PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEAAAAAAADDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

Read it. Not impressed.

While I really enjoyed The Immortal Iron Fist I definitely feel it gets a bit too much praise. Steel Serpent is great though and I would put him on my fantasy Thunderbolts team.

I really love the book but just out of curiosity did you read the OP?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Aw you really need to, it's amazing.

@ccraft said:

Yea lol I'm not sure if it was Brubaker or Fraction (they co-wrote it) that did the foreword but I think it reads like Fraction.

Right now I reek of Hai Kung Fu

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Sorry.

its ok I thought the same thing.... but I did read it

The Title of the thread. is completely appropriate, or rather, is intentionally ridiculous, as the Foreward is intended to be as well.

the whole thing is supposed to be making fun of itself while making jokes, so the Title, hats off to you Jonny_annonymous great choice in title.

do you like Hawkeye? you probably like this if you do. the same kind of tongue and cheek almost parodylike humor, and several jokes directed towards at the Hawkeye run (broheim) or the fanbase (or else these jokes work for Iron Fist as well.... is there a lot of "Bro" in Iron Fist?)

you like Hawkeye? you might like this...

I didn't, but then again Ive already seen the movie......(or rather the movies half the lines are takin from.)

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

All of this. I have had my eyes on it for a while but its expensive.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Wow. That was the most batcrap crazy - and hilarious - introduction to a comic I've ever read.

I really need to get around to reading Immortal IF. I'm a Brubaker fan, a Fraction fan, and Chinese (so the whole kung-fu thing's in my BLOOD, BOY).

Haha IKR? You need to get dat book right now!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman: Well Immortal Iron Fist is similar to Hawkeye in someway but the tone is a lot darker at times. I'd say it's closer to how the current Green Arrow is at DC.

Also you keep saying Hawkeye takes lines from movies. What movies are you actually talking about?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joec_mommy: I'm pretty sure it was just the omnibus yea

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

I thought this was going to be you saying why you loved Iron Fist, Jonny. Great speech though, made me chuckle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Oh and could you confirm this is all of Fraction and Brubackers run? If so, I'll buy it right now. Seems like a good enough deal.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Oh and could you confirm this is all of Fraction and Brubackers run? If so, I'll buy it right now. Seems like a good enough deal.

It is yes but you should get Vol 2 as well. It's not as good as the first but it's still good also check out the Immortal Weapons mini.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

It is yes but you should get Vol 2 as well. It's not as good as the first but it's still good also check out the Immortal Weapons mini.

The Immortal weapons mini is in volume 2.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:
@dagmar_merrill said:

The Immortal weapons mini is in volume 2.

Oh well there you go lol

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By HumanRocket

@jonny_anonymous: For me personally I really enjoyed reading Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: Agreed, I also really liked Orson Randall and the Death Queen of California. Love Orson Randall and I can really see some parallels with his life and how Danny's is turning out in Iron Fist: Living Weapon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Father pushed over a cliff to his death by his best friend and mother eaten by wolves? In front of him? O_0 What the...?

Awesome intro is awesome. I usually skim through words by habit but the first sentence slowed me right down and had me digesting every word. Literary whipped cream topping, for sure. I'm giving this book a shot.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Yea that's Iron Fist's origin story. He then goes on to be trained by the Kung Fu monks of K'un Lun so he can return home and get revenge on the man that did it.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Brubaker and Fraction really write this? This seems like something Alan Moore would do trying to be ironic or Kool Keith would write.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skit: Yea, I think it was Fraction but it doesn't actually say unless it really was this "Count D" fellow

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got this book for my little brother for his birthday last year. It's honestly fantastic.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just bought volume 1, so excited to read it :D

Did you end up getting this?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine008

@arturocalakayvee: Ordered it via the Internet. Should be here by the end of the week :)

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got every volume of the Immortal Iron Fist for Christmas; it's such a glorious story.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

It is amazing. I used to only know IF as "that guy that punched Wolverine but should have died". Now I see him for what he is, a top tier martial artist and an excellent character that doesn't get the love he deserves.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Iron Fist beats glass jaw every time