Why some people won't like man of steel

• 63 results
jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Okay let me start off by saying that this movie was pretty damn amazing! I mean my expectations so high and this movie delivered! I'm a big comic book fan but i've never liked reading supermn because i couldn't relate to him here i can! This is a great movie that everybody in my opinion should watch but i'm going to tell you why some reviews are giving it a bad score.

1. Lack of humor: I should state i like darker tones in comic book movies, some people do not. That is fine of course! marvel is producing a bunch of light hearted movies with lots of humor but i think DC in general wants a more grounded more this is real this could happen, the danger is real! Type of feel to their movies. Thats one reason. Also a smaller group hated how there was little spark between lois and clark but its an almost 3 hour movie lets leave the romance for the sequel to save time!

2.nostalgia: I will admit i'm 18 so when i saw the original superman i found it outdated ( before you go crazy i grew up in an age where all the effects seem real so watching an old movie kind of weirds me out) but i feel as if the other type of people hating this movie is just because its not the Christopher reeves superman that they love so much. This is a new take and different from those movies.

those seem to be the major dislikes for this movie! Other than that this is one of the best superhero movies i have seen in a long time and if those two things don't SEVERALLY matter to you then you should love this movie.

Bucco3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I don't know if I will see man of steel yet.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By batmannflash

Yeah, people tend to compare Man of Steel to the old Superman movies and compare Henry Cavill to Christopher Reeves. Stop it! Yes, the old Superman movies are outdated and people prefer them probably because they grew up with those movies.

People criticized that the movie dragged on the action, but I thought it was fine.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#5  Edited By amutant

@jeanespinosa21: What about the part where Superman straight murders Zod?

If that's true then they've completely missed who Superman is.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you drag on action?

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jeanespinosa21

@jonny_anonymous: I was trying not spoil anything for them by that but i think for the direction that they were going it was a great decision. I get it if you're a die hard superman fan you might be angry with that but think about what that represents, It showed superman making his choice to carry the burden of having blood on his hands, to having to basically commit genocide of his race in order to protect his adopted race and last but not least that made him so much more relatable! In that situation with no other way to stop him what would anybody have done? Exactly that.

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeanespinosa21

@amutant: I really do not want to spoil it for people here. Message me and i'll tell you if you really want to know

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanespinosa21: If I was in that position I would have moved my hand over his eyes then chocked the fool out

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the more strong points of the movie. That one action doesn't define his character. He simply did what was needed to be done. That being said, there are a number of ways he could have gone about that situation.

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@jonny_anonymous: That was exactly the first thought that popped into my head when I was watching that scene.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@jonny_anonymous: Supes had to do it to protect innocents. It's great character depth because he doesn't want to be the only Kryptonian, but then again he couldn't have the people of Earth suffer. I know it's nothing Superman would do in the comics, but he had no choice.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

This is one of the more strong points of the movie. That one action doesn't define his character. He simply did what was needed to be done. That being said, there are a number of ways he could have gone about that situation.

But think about what it means, Superman is meant to be the springboard for the DC Cinematic Universe and like in the comics he's going to be the inspiration for every other superhero so what does that mean for the tone? Are we now going to get movies where the Flash IMP Grodd to death? Or Green Lantern popping Atrocitus head off with a construct to the brain?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I feel like you're kinda missing the point of that moment. I don't think they're trying to set up a murderous Superman, they were trying to give his moral code against killing an "origin", much like Byrne did in his time.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you drag on action?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

There are many reasons why people won't like MoS, but none of them are that it's an acquired taste. Badum dum chsss

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: Well done sir. I thought I was the only one who got that. I don't know why people don't see the bigger picture.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

or.. Some people just hate it because its a horrible movie?

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bucco3: You should its amazing. I went in thinking it would be bad or something but it was great. Of course I have a few complaints but overall 4/5. Go into the theatres remembering this Superman is just starting out so he is not the superman we all know... yet.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because its a popcorn flick.

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seemed very senseless to me ! I was expecting Clark (SPOILERS AHEAD .. STOP READING NOW) to show that "always holding back" thing or whatever when Zod was attempting to kill the people ! Give him a mean elbow to the head and down goes Zod.. But nope ! Neck snap ! The people could have easily crawled under the beams ! Supes could have flown up in the air !

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@amutant said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

If that's true then they've completely missed who Superman is.

Superman has killed people in the comics before, its not something he does often but it has happened to a few when he's ran out of options also he's probably offed a few hundred parademons without hesitation.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Every movie doesn't need to be funny, and if anyone went to this movie expecting it to be funny after seeing the trailers, then they're retarded and don't deserve to enjoy it. Nostalgia is also a nonargument considering people that are 18 pretty much just know superman the animated series and justice league, so there isn't anything that really says "this is wrong" about it considering how those shows pretty much didn't touch on superman's origin and stuff at all. Not to mention that modernization is trending a lot in this current generation of movie goers.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People always forget that the very first time Superman ever faced evil Kryptonians in the comics he killed them, and it wasn't a quick painless method he did it with kryptonite poisoning. What happened was he pretended to side with them and offered them a gift which turned out to be a box of Kryptonite that killed all three of them.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Loading Video...

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the main reason they won't like it is because its not the 70's version with the corny jokes and superman flying back in time lol. I truly love it when hero movies are darker than humorous

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Levity is not a bad thing in cinema - humor goes a long way to humanize characters.

I'm pretty sure the main reason they won't like it is because its not the 70's version with the corny jokes and superman flying back in time lol. I truly love it when hero movies are darker than humorous

And generally critics do too - here not so much. I think the main complaint is one that I'd raise for After Earth - it's a general lack of an emotional connection to the MOS that a lot of the critics aren't enjoying.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler said:

@jonny_anonymous: I feel like you're kinda missing the point of that moment. I don't think they're trying to set up a murderous Superman, they were trying to give his moral code against killing an "origin", much like Byrne did in his time.

I totally agree. People are speaking as if this is an experienced Superman I think.

So shall we all be expecting the Flash to just kill Zoom when he get's his movie? How about Batman finally killing the Joker?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Well, if we base ourselves on Flash's previous history just like Snyder and co. did here... then yeah, I'd actually expect Flash to do that.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not a movie everyone will like. But as a Superman fan, I found the movie to be enjoyable. It had everything i wanted in a superman movie:

1.It made Zod more of an Anti-hero than straight up villian in my opinion. I hope they translate this version of the character over to the comics, because its an improvement in my opinion.

2. It had an actual Superman level fight. Ya, i had some issues with superman not caring about collateral damage, but overall i think the fight was epic.

3. An emotional connection to Superman. All the previous movies portrayed him as a one-dimensional boyscout instead of an actual person. I feel this movie nailed it in my opinion. And I feel that killing General Zod makes him much more human and shows why Superman is a hero.

My problems:

1. Superman's attitude toward collateral damage. I found it stupid how he kisses lois lane when there are probably hundreds of people who needed help. It just felt really out of character to me.

2. I feel that this movie would have been much better if they had done things in a linear fashion. Because some of the flashbacks pop up at some of the most random times and pull you out of the action.

3. The lois Lane-Superman relationship felt pretty forced in my opinion. They only talked like a few times and then they are all of a sudden lovers. I didnt really feel the chemistry.

4. Clark Kent didnt have any noticeable differences from Superman other than the glasses. They could've at least have him change his hair or his voice. But it really pulls you out of the realistic vibe they were going for.

Overall:

I felt that the good outweighed the bad. It wasnt as good as Batman Begins, but it did do a good job of distancing itself from the superman movies of the past and really getting you to care about this character. It also had some of the best action scenes that I've seen in awhile.

7/10

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@smashbrawler said:

@jonny_anonymous: Well, if we base ourselves on Flash's previous history just like Snyder and co. did here... then yeah, I'd actually expect Flash to do that.

So then what? The notion that heroes don't kill is gone and the term anti-hero no longer exists as they are one and the same?

Like I said, to me it was a nod to that one time in the comics and if we base ourselves on what happened there then this kind of stuff won't happen again.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jeanespinosa21

@smashbrawler said:

So then what? The notion that heroes don't kill is gone and the term anti-hero no longer exists as they are one and the same?

so you expect a murdering lunatic with the powers of a god basically to be put in prison or something? He had no choice and it was a better to kill him and have to bear the weight of comiting genocide! He is a hero not a boy scout he has to make tough choices!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joshmightbe

@jonny_anonymous: Again I reiterate Superman has killed before in the comics. I know people like to ignore this fact but it is still a fact. Like I said before the very first time he met evil Kryptonians in the comics he ended up killing them because he had to.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of humor? Are you kidding? There was levity in the movie.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm not sure where you saw it, but I never saw Superman said he has a no-killing rule. Its something we assumed he doesn't like to do.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Okay then how about back in the 90s where Superman actually wanted to kill Doomsday, or the few hundred various aliens he's offed between then and now. Does it make their deaths less relevant because they didn't look human? They were advanced sentient species.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jeanespinosa21

@jeanespinosa21 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@smashbrawler said:

so you expect a murdering lunatic with the powers of a god basically to be put in prison or something? He had no choice and it was a better to kill him and have to bear the weight of comiting genocide! He is a hero not a boy scout he has to make tough choices!

Or he could have just used tech from the ships to build a prison with a Krypton atmosphere? What it comes down to is Zod broke Superman, Zod did to Superman what the Joker never could with Bats, he made him brake his one rule and now he will always be a murderer. Anyway this is more to do with the pepole that made this film turning Superman in to a murderer, they chose to make a cold and heartless film sure it had cool fights and affects but there was no soul, no hope.

okay but how? this superman doesn't know anything about krypton so how would he build a prison? Not to mention that superman punched a ship and made a hole so why would zod be able to do the same? I understand you're blaming the writers but this is a grounded superman i loved it and it made me connect with superman and made me feel bad for him more than anything in the film!

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Guardiandevil83
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: In that case Zod is an alien so it doesn't count. Also every hero in the Justice League including Batman has killed in the comics before and not just aliens. Batman once hung a dude from a helicopter, Wonder Woman snapped Max Lord's neck, Aquaman has never claimed a no kill code, Hal killed half the Lantern corps before it was retconned to be an alien possessing him John Stewart was a soldier who had killed many while in combat.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: So what you're saying is that you're just going to ignore everything that doesn't support your argument, gotcha.