Why so much hate for the Star Wars Prequels???

• 91 results
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Lol if you really want to see a revised Prequel just read Legacy of the Force

Anakin=Jacen Solo

Padme=Tenal Ka Djo

Palpatine=Lumiya

Obi-Wan=Ben Skywalker

Mace Windu=Kyp Durron

Yoda=Luke Skywalker 

Avatar image for herokiller12344
Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

I could think of a few reasons why I dislike Phantom Menace and the others, but this guy can sum it up pretty well.

Red Letter Media`s dissections of all the SW prequels will answer the OP`s question. They are long, brilliant and funny as hell...

Long yes, funny subjective, brilliant no. There are several places where the complaints are outright lies, the bulk of the "review" is a bunch of nitpicks that no one cared about prior to Plinkett mentioning them and videos danced on this line of Comedy and Serious so that people could both treat them seriously and then say "Oh it's just comedy, get a sense of humor" whenever they get something wrong.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch Spaced Series two episode 1 ... Then see if you still want to ask that question hehe

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhUkCJDkG3fg

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

I could think of a few reasons why I dislike Phantom Menace and the others, but this guy can sum it up pretty well.

Red Letter Media`s dissections of all the SW prequels will answer the OP`s question. They are long, brilliant and funny as hell...

Long yes, funny subjective, brilliant no. There are several places where the complaints are outright lies, the bulk of the "review" is a bunch of nitpicks that no one cared about prior to Plinkett mentioning them and videos danced on this line of Comedy and Serious so that people could both treat them seriously and then say "Oh it's just comedy, get a sense of humor" whenever they get something wrong.

That's exactly why it's brilliant. The CYA is strong with this one.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I enjoy the prequels but not nearly as much as the originals. My main problem was they felt too slow and bogged down to me. The lightsaber fights where awesome, though.

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344 said:

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

They're not brilliant though.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I loved the prequels as much as the original trilogy.

Episode III may have been the best of the six.

I know it's my favorite

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're terrible films. The movies exist as framework to get Anakin Skywalker inside the Darth Vader costume, the movies themselves are devoid of any real story, plot, emotion, character development....or anything for that matter.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@herokiller12344 said:

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

It was meant as a joke...

INFINITE_DOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People romanticize the old, it's annoying when people can't be objective.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm not the only person who loved all six? YAY

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freefa11: you know what's interesting is that the clone wars show and the comics actually felt like the fixed the problems plus having Ahsoka leave and showing anakins hate for the Jedi grow is really well done. Plus palpatine felt so much better also Padme and anakin felt like they actually where in love in the eu and show so at least the concepts made some great stuff.

Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344 said:

@herokiller12344 said:

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

Maybe you should try phrasing it as a joke next time.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I agree that they don't deserve the hate they get...maybe apart from Ep. I...jeez that film was pretty racist towards Jews and Chinese people!

But there were elements from them I highly enjoyed.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herokiller12344 said:

@herokiller12344 said:

@herokiller12344 said:

@stuka69 said:

@sesquipedalophobe

said:

Maybe you should try phrasing it as a joke next time.

I'm sorry if I offended you, I thought that last part made it clear that it was a joke. I'll try to make it a little more unambiguous next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Episode III was awesome. I and II aren't that great, but they're not that bad either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prequels did suck but ROTS was the only one that was really good. The first two were not important and none of the duels or battles meant anything.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 the_stegman  Moderator

Man, this is one of my first threads..brings back memories.

FlashSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FlashSpeedster

I loved all the Star Wars films.

Enjoy

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jar Jar, midiclorians, Maul killed like that, the high ground, Leia knew her mother for 5 seconds when she was born and tells Luke she was sad in episode6.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Because they're new and different from the original trilogy. Throwing away my rose-tinted glasses (I only really use them for the Friday the 13th films anyway) Episode II is actually INFINITLEY superior to A New Hope (And better than ROTJ by a decent amount), and Revenge of the Sith is without a doubt the best film in the saga. To be honest, these films had more realistic characters, a more sincere romance, deeper politics, a darker story, deeper themes and better acting than the original. And if you hate these films, fine. Go out and hate them. But if you're going to call me "stupid" or a "12 year old" or "shallow" for that opinion, or GOD FORBID if you send me a link to that Red Letter Media moron (99% of his points can be refuted by a 6 year old), all I have to say is...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for howard_the-duck
Howard_The-Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Howard_The-Duck

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I don't think comparing episode 2 to 4 is a good comparison. A better comparison would be 1 to 4, 2 to 5, and 3 to 6. Now I haven't seen episode 1 in about a decade, but I remember it being one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life, so episode 4 has it beat by quite a lot. For episode 2 I'm going to have disagree with you on some points. I'd like to preface that I'm not a "prequel hater" but episode 2 did not have more realistic characters or a deep romance. The characters weren't really developed enough to be called better, and also at parts it had extremely terrible dialogue, which really didn't help. It also had one of the worst "romances" I have ever had the displeasure of having to sit though. Really try to defend this

Loading Video...

I only watched episode 3 in theaters and haven't watched it since, but I remember enjoying it, so I got nothing to say there

Also the Plinkett reviews did have some good points which probably couldn't be refuted by a six year old since I doubt they understand film theory, but you have to keep in mind those reviews were all a big joke. Mr. Plinkett isn't real, those are the exaggerated views of this guy.

No Caption Provided

On topic, the prequels do get a lot of unwarranted hate, but I think some of it comes from episode 1 being so bad that it carried a negative stigma throughout.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first three, if only though we could get less jar jar and more darth maul then it probably would have been better.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I don't think comparing episode 2 to 4 is a good comparison. A better comparison would be 1 to 4, 2 to 5, and 3 to 6. Now I haven't seen episode 1 in about a decade, but I remember it being one of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen in my life, so episode 4 has it beat by quite a lot. For episode 2 I'm going to have disagree with you on some points. I'd like to preface that I'm not a "prequel hater" but episode 2 did not have more realistic characters or a deep romance. The characters weren't really developed enough to be called better, and also at parts it had extremely terrible dialogue, which really didn't help. It also had one of the worst "romances" I have ever had the displeasure of having to sit though. Really try to defend this

Loading Video...

I only watched episode 3 in theaters and haven't watched it since, but I remember enjoying it, so I got nothing to say there

Also the Plinkett reviews did have some good points which probably couldn't be refuted by a six year old since I doubt they understand film theory, but you have to keep in mind those reviews were all a big joke. Mr. Plinkett isn't real, those are the exaggerated views of this guy.

No Caption Provided

On topic, the prequels do get a lot of unwarranted hate, but I think some of it comes from episode 1 being so bad that it carried a negative stigma throughout.

Fair enough. For Attack of the Clones, I do feel the characters were more real. In A New Hope, the characters (With the exception of Han Solo) didn't really develop by the end. On top of that, there problems were pretty elementary and basic; destroy the Death Star, defeat the Empire-That's it. In Attack of the Clones, the characters are faced with a multitude of internal and external problems. Obi Wan trying to be a decent father figure and stray Anakin towards the right path, Padme and Anakin trying to maintain a romance that doesn't contradict their identities of senator and Jedi, trying to stop Dooku from spreading the Seperatist movement, trying to create an army for the Republic that doesn't become dangerously uncontrollable, e.t.c

Now for the romance...First of all, "I don't like sand" was actually a pretty decent line. I loved how Anakin was using "sand" to describe how horrible his life as a slave was on the sand-planet of Tattoine, and his description of Naboo being a metaphor for his feelings for Padme. Not many people I know caught the metaphors, but it was a good line in my opinion. Also, the romance was FAR better than Leia/Han in my opinion. With Han/Leia, they honestly just seemed like two folks who wanted to screw each other; they don't have that solid of a friendship to base their romance on. With Anakin/Padme, they have that friendship on top of their romance, and there reasons for not getting together are deeper than just "He's a bad boy, she's a good girl." Being a teenager, I did really relate to Anakin's angst and rising emotions of unreturned love and passion, and it is far more relevant to me than Leia/Han in that sense.

As for RLM, my problem is that prequel haters use those stupid videos like the undisputed truth for why the prequels suck. They shower us in links to them and pretend they are irrefutable, and when someone tries and refutes them they immediately dismiss them without even watching/reading and throw a tantrum. The twisted rape jokes and annoying voice don't help much either.

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No the prequels don't deserve the hate but they deserve to be forgotten, like any other mediocre sci-fi movie with flat characters, poor direction and a terrible script.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Episode 3 is my favorite Star Wars movie after The Empire Strikes Back.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'know a few weeks ago I, remembering how I loved episode 3, watched it again. Man, that film did not hold up.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#82  Edited By DrF8

I really like the prequels actually. Well...exceptions for one of them : ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

I think they were really good action movies. The lightsaber fights, the large scale Clones vs droids battles. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan ( im sorry Alec, Ewan was a better Obi-Wan than you ) just awesome.

I think "Revenge of the Sith" is the second best Star Wars movie ( right after "Return of the Jedi" ).

The prequels also, gave us one of the coolest charatersevr created : DARTH MAUL.

I actually did like JAR JAR BINKS character. I Don't understand why people hate him so much.

Overally. The prequels are not GREAT movies. But neither are the original movies. "A New Hope" is literally one of then wrst movies i'veever saw...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're terrible films. The movies exist as framework to get Anakin Skywalker inside the Darth Vader costume, the movies themselves are devoid of any real story, plot, emotion, character development....or anything for that matter.

johnadams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the prequels are an embarrassment to star wars

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were good, but they could've been done better. You know, like every other movie..

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By kidchipotle

Y'know a few weeks ago I, remembering how I loved episode 3, watched it again. Man, that film did not hold up.

It's funny because everyone talks about III as being one of the greatest SW films ever.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love them, never got the hate.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@the_stegman: Nice topic and I agree with most of your statement. I like the Prequels mainly because it featured a different time in Star Wars history, the whole look and feel of it. I don't know why people hate George Lucas that much for completing the story. The direction (and acting) may have not been there, but the story itself worked.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Good and bad prefer the original trilogy but just barely. Thought all the films were good with the exception of Empire Strikes back which all kinds of average IMO.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have not yet been grandfathered in like the old ones

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they weren't as good as the originals, although they were still amazing.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I preferred the prequels...