Why so much hate for the EXTREME?

• 83 results
Vampire_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why is it that people hate the 90's (typically Image or an offshoot) comics so much these days? I can't count how many comments I've read panning Liefeld as some hack. Image was all about the exaggerated art style, not particularly anything new or groundbreaking in the story-telling department.

Why doesn't Jim Lee get this same thing? What is it people want? They say they hate the style, but do you want to read about drab, mundane, tired, ordinary folks? Ugly, weak, fat men with conservative attire and respectable, modest women, homily women?

The biggest thing for me is, I grew up as a teen in the 90's and no-one was complaining then. Comics were HUGE right around Spawn #1. It sparked a long-standing obsession with me and I can't get why there is this backlash by people, it seems like the majority of whom, weren't even present during this era.

The whole idea of it was that now these heroes who were so far beyond ordinary in abilities, now were given forms that were far beyond as well, and did things that broke limits. Everything was affected by this trend, video games, T.V., Movies, music... all entertainment was in this new "Extreme" world. When I compare it to the utterly artificial and commercial feeling '00's, I wonder why more people don't see it the same way, that there has been a decline in the vitality of creativity across all spectrums since that era.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The difference between Jim Lee and Liefeld is that Lee gave the impression that he was actively making an effort to improve his art while Liefeld is still having all the same issues we hated back then and has made no effort to change. He still can't draw hands, feet or females that look like something other than giant boobed freaks with no sign of a back bone.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread isn't about the 90s. It's about a butthurt Liefeld fan. This gives me an excuse to post some Liefeld art. The hate for the man's work is completely justified.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 90s lacked story as it became more of an "artists market". There was also more precedence with guns, murder, really exaggerated costumes, muscles and other weapons. It was cool at the time because thats what it was, and you were a kid. In hindsight it was all just so silly.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: If I posted all my hate, I would just be posting every comic Liefeld has ever worked on.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampire_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vampire_Batman

@khan_noonien_singh Ok, let see.. 1. It sold very well. Clearly people liked it and were buying it. 2. Try penciling, it's pretty hard. 3. This is actually what is known as a bandwagon, everyone is bashing this guy yet they weren't complaining then.. That or they were young or possibly not even born. He is the guy it's "cool to hate" right now.

I'm actually a fan of Liefeld, Jim Lee, McFarlane, Jae Lee, Platt pretty much all the artist of this style. As a teenager this stuff was amazing to me.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@joshmightbe: I can't stand liefelds old or new work. It all looks terrible. Honestly though looking back through Gen 13 Lee wasn't that good. But even then Lee had something special in my opinion.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I love Avengelyne

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh Ok, let see.. 1. It sold very well. Clearly people liked it and were buying it. 2. Try penciling, it's pretty hard. 3. This is actually what is known as a bandwagon, everyone is bashing this guy yet they weren't complaining then.. That or they were young or possibly not even born. He is the guy it's "cool to hate" right now.

I'm actually a fan of Liefeld, Jim Lee, McFarlane, Jae Lee, Platt pretty much all the artist of this style. As a teenager this stuff was amazing to me.

1. People buy a lot of stupid crap sometimes.
  2. I am not an artist, I won't be validating your case by trying to pretend that I am. However, Liefeld is in the exact same boat as me. He is not an artist, nor can his work be considered "good" by anyone that has respect for art.
  3. You don't know me. This is probably the first time you have ever seen a post from me, so don't assume that I hate the man today, where I liked or was indifferent yesterday. I have hated his work since day 1. Also, I have been reading comics before you were, judging by the information you gave in your OP.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People were complaining then, we just didn't have as much internet coverage back then. Every time I walked in a comic shop there were at least 6 people bitching about Liefeld. Liefelds crap didn't sell well because it was good, it sold well because of the insane collector's boom during the decade that almost killed the comic industry when people discovered that just because a book has a #1 on it didn't mean it'd be worth anything.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Yes it is, but that's no excuse for Liefeld's blatant disregard for anatomy.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@vampire_batman said:

LMAO! Anatomy is for wimps!

Vampire_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: He is not an artist according to you. Ok, that is humorous. He gets paid to draw for large companies. He was rich enough to just buy new cars and give them away to his friends, simply from earnings derived from his art. Honestly, you seem extremely defensive all of the sudden, as if it hit some nerve. Regardless, the fact that not many people like the style of this era makes me actually appreciate it more.

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vampire_batman said:

@khan_noonien_singh: He is not an artist according to you. Ok, that is humorous. He gets paid to draw for large companies. He was rich enough to just buy new cars and give them away to his friends, simply from earnings derived from his art. Honestly, you seem extremely defensive all of the sudden, as if it hit some nerve. Regardless, the fact that not many people like the style of this era makes me actually appreciate it more.

• He is not an artist... according to anyone with taste.
  • The money he made off of fools and children is not relevant.
  • I'm not extremely defensive at all. You made a libel statement. I corrected it.
  • You like crap because other people hate it? And this is supposed to matter?

Why the subterfuge? Why try to pretend you gave a hump about the 90s when it is blatantly clear that you are just a Liefeld zealot?

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

@vampire_batman said:

So is just one gun, one sword or rulers...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

@wolverine08 said:

@vampire_batman said:

No Caption Provided

What the hell is that?

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tensta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember back in the 90´s I always felt dissapointed opening up a comic book just to discover it was Liefeld doing the art. Always thought his details mostly consists of really strange lines and an anatomy completely of the wall.

That being said, I´ve seen alot worse. At least Liefeld got some "movement" in his characters, they don´t look too stiff and the backgrounds.. well there are backgrounds wich is always nice.

Him doing the art never stopped me from buying a comic book though. Others have

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@khan_noonien_singh:

I hate leifields art as much as the next guy but it's important to remember art is subjective.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 90s lacked story as it became more of an "artists market". There was also more precedence with guns, murder, really exaggerated costumes, muscles and other weapons. It was cool at the time because thats what it was, and you were a kid. In hindsight it was all just so silly.

Yet some of the best comic book stories came from the 90's...

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

@wolverine08 said:

@vampire_batman said:

No Caption Provided

What the hell is that?

That's your hero bro, embrace him.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@mitran said:

@wolverine08 said:

@vampire_batman said:

No Caption Provided

What the hell is that?

That's your hero bro, embrace him.

I ain't embracing that!

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@emequious_swerve said:

Yea, it brought us events that actually mattered and that had impact that lasted up till now. Fatal Attractions, The Infinity Gauntlet, War and Quest, Knightfall all of these happened in the 90s. Aside from Annihilation and Flashpoint you'd be hard pressed to find a single event that actually had any where near the lasting impact of those events.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to argue, just wanted to drop by and say: OP is Amanda Bines.

Avatar image for explodingpineapple
explodingpineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't have to look like wide load Cap though.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

Like what??

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

Like what??

Death of Superman and Knightfall...?

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: Just looked at his art. His drawings look like they were drew by a sixth grader!

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because incredibly exaggerated comics (which applies to the heroes,their costumes,the art,etc) is just incredibly gaudy and unattractive.

And a lot of the stories were crap. Just my opinion,but if you think that the 00's is bland and that the 90s extreme is good....well,that's your opinion and subjective taste I guess.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414: The 90s was also the rise of Image and Spawn! :D

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SilverPool

@joshmightbe: The worst part about that is that the angle doesn't make any sense and I think he's done the same position for multiple characters. They're at the right side, but somehow you can see several parts of the left half of his body. Like his left pec, wtf?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Its simple to understand, he's got that rare combo of being really horrible at his profession while at the same time being incredibly lucky.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart:

I love Avengelyne

So do I. That's why I bought my wife a "costume" identical to the one Avengelyne wears!:D

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up reading 90's comics so I have a biased love for it. But there are also things I hate about it.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jloneblackheart:

I love Avengelyne

So do I. That's why I bought my wife a "costume" identical to the one Avengelyne wears!:D

I don't think a person would necessarily need to like Avengelyne to want to see their wife her outfit. ;P

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart:

I don't think a person would necessarily need to like Avengelyne to want to see their wife her outfit. ;P

True. But you should've seen the look on her face when I showed her a cover of Avengelyne after she'd been prancing around the house in her new "costume" for about a week! It was that "Why, you little stinker!" face. She's so cute when she's mad (LOL)! But the good news is, she didn't make me take it back to the store and she still loves the way it looks on her. Bonus!

Thank you Rob Liefeld, ya artwise anatomically incorrect bastard!!:)

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@joshmightbe:

What about Civil War or House of M?

The former may not be super relevant anymore but House of M continues to ripple, what with AvX and Uncanny Avengers.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godtriggerhulk: Super hero registration is pretty much a non issue and Mutants are back.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#47 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Loading Video...

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, what's wrong with respectable, modest, homely women?

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JulieDC

Well part of the reason some people didn't complain at the time then was that it was something new, something different and who knew where it was going to go at the time. In hindsight, one can now say that there was little substance in most of the extreme stuff which is why it didn't have such a lasting appeal.

However I don't hate everything that came out of the 90s and found that I love the Batman stuff post-Knightfall and the Flash. Some interesting characters got solos that I enjoy reading right now such as Robin, Nightwing and Impulse. For me, the only things I don't like is the "extreme" art of the early to mid 90s and the whole "replace the hero with an extreme version" fad.