Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Edited By Radread
No Caption Provided
It's funny, even in this day and age of people collecting comics more and big box office hit movies, people still try and hide their love of comics. Why you might ask. The easiest way is that some people can feel you they wasting time and money. Take a look from their point of view, people need to pay bills, pay rent, mortgages and put their kids through school. They can see getting trade collections, spending $20-$40 a month as a waste of incomes. Gas prices are high, cost of living just seems to go up and up and even when people make good salaries or know how to say no to some huge piece of Star Wars memorabilia people can't help but to butt in feeling they need to show the person that their spending really is a waste of time. In truth some fans do go over board, there are people that are willing to buy items that cost over $800 just to have it in their collection whey they are probably working part time as an usher at a movie theatre.
Other times it seems to be something that collects dust or is read once or twice and then shuffled to the archives of the basement in a tight sealed box. When something like that happens people tend to panic and hide their collections as quickly as possible. They are willing to change their mailing addresses to someone they feel understands where they are coming from. They sneak a copy of Uncanny Avengers or a marked down Dr. Who item from a clearance sale under their jacket or in their brief case so no one notices something new has been brought into the house. As shocking as that sounds there was one person who was so afraid that they would have their mother find out they read Superman that they kept their collection in their work locker knowing that the parent would toss them out in the trash if they were discovered.
While it sounds harsh and even cruel, people do do this and yes even if they have a favorite tv show, sports team or love to always spend money on projects. They see it as money more invested and that it's their home so they can do what they want. Extreme, but it's how they feel and unless you have your own space or your own agreement with others, it leaves people feeling they have a secret shame that they must hide because people just don't see it that way. This isn't along the lines or a drug or fetish problem. It's a general feeling that a collector feels scared that they'll be branded a loser or that something is wrong with them. Not much different from a person who loves to sing or paint in their spare time or just loves to find garden gnomes for their backyard garden.
However, to others they just don't get the passion and feel it's their place to let you know it's a wasted effort. Sad that these things happen and even more sad that someone has to feel they need to hide something they really shouldn't be ashamed of. It's no different if you need to buy your favorite sports player's jersey or wanted to have every type of tulip in your flower garden, but to some they don't see the point and aren't afraid to tell you how you should live your life.
Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By Mighty Thorion

I'm not interested what other people think. Comic collecting is one of my hobbies and I won't apologize to anyone for it being so - nor do I see why I should have to.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrUnknown

I leave mine on the table; its why my room always looks so messy XD

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By z3ro180

Screw that I'm a nerd and proud of it NERD POWER

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By 2chimcha3

I make it pretty obvious that I love comics and everyone I've introduced them to has thought they were awesome.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Z3RO180 said:

Screw that I'm a nerd and proud of it NERD POWER

This just about everyone who knows me knows I'm a comic geek

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By owie  Moderator

I think some people hide the extent of their collection from their parents/significant other because they don't want them to know how much money they're spending. Or they don't want people to know the extent of their obsession, because it's seen as a mental health issue, not whether comics are OK or not!  I have to say I get a little embarrassed if I overspend or overobsess. But generally speaking, I'm pretty happy to talk about comics very openly.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I don't hide it. I'm not going to go out of my way and pull out my boxes of comics, but I'll talk about them. Most of my friends are either comic geeks or, at least, mildly interested in comics even if they don't collect them themselves. Friends who aren't too into them are interested in other things (Star Wars, Doctor Who, video games, fencing, etc.)

theDCkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theDCkid

I don't hide my collection (as modest as it is), I am actually very proud of my love for comic book's and am known in my circle of friends as "the comic guy".

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dabee

Wait, you like comics? Ha, aha! (hides comics)

No, but in all seriousness, I don't think I shut up about them.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By reignmaker

I play it cool until someone acts remotely interested, and then the nerd comes gushing out.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lightsout

While there's still some of that "discrimination", I think it's becoming more "acceptable" because of the push of some characters into the super-mainstream (via movies, etc).

Although I have no research to base this opinion on, I would venture that one might face more classical discrimination depending on how you look. If you appear to be a cliche'd nerdy/geeky person and say you're into comics, you'd probably be more likely to receive that "treatment" than someone who doesn't look that way. (ex: "You like comics? Avengers (or other mainstream aspect) was pretty cool, huh?" etc).

Also, I think age would play a big factor. If you're past a certain age (maybe different person to person), some people may judge your comic-love differently than had you been younger.

But, whatever the variables, it's uncool to make assumptions about a person's value based on their interests. While I do acknowledge it's part of our evolutionary history & modern culture to exclude others (based on any little thing), you're only making it known that you lack value and are trying to make up for it by judging & excluding others.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By judasnixon

I really don't have that issue anymore... After I lost pretty ever thing in hurricane Katrina, I buy mostly ever thing digital now,. It works out quit well for a person living in a small studio apartment......

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Veshark

@Reignmaker said:

I play it cool until someone acts remotely interested, and then the nerd comes gushing out.

Pretty much this.

I don't hide my comics - they're all up on my shelf - but I don't mention my love for comics unless someone brings it up. Among my circle of friends, most are manga-readers and fairly ignorant of superhero comic-books, and I admit I do feel a little awkward being the lone comic-reader.

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Radread

Well said everyone.

Sonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sonata

I don't hide mine I display them proudly. And also take some to work with me where people ask to read them as well:)

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

What's to hide ?

If you have A dinky pro football clock, phone and one of those fathead things, that's okay ? But not comics ? :P

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rumble Man

A reason to hide would be from plebs and younger cousins who possess the risk of damaging my goods

besides that none at all

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Lvenger

I can empaphise with this thread. When a friend came round for supper I hid all my boxes of comics I had downstairs in my brother's bedroom and moved the ones I keep in a closet up to my brother's room as well. He was at university so it was fine and I moved them back. I guess my point is that I don't feel comfortable showing other people about my interest in comic books for the very misconceptions ascribed to us comic book geeks. None of my school friends had any interest in comics whatsoever. Granted I still had a lot in common with them and talked about the films with them but there's a big difference between people saying they like comic book movies and comic books per se. Maybe I'll outgrow this in the future and choose some real life comic book friends but for now the CV community is enough of an outlet for my comic book interest.

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Rumble Man said:

A reason to hide would be from plebs and younger cousins who possess the risk of damaging my goods

besides that none at all

This. When we have visitors with kids, I'll bring everything with what they can play (like my Wii + games) into the living room so that they don't have a reason to go into my room.

Apart from that I like to show my collection of comics and stuff =)

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rumble Man

@EMH_Bruce: yeah would you want someone to fold up pages in your comics?

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Rumble Man said:

@EMH_Bruce: yeah would you want someone to fold up pages in your comics?

No, Never! My eyes start twitching if I see someone to lay one of my comics/manga upside down on the.....floor

No Caption Provided

It happend! Dx

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rumble Man

@EMH_Bruce: good reason to throw a fit

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Radread

Well said everyone. I'm very happy that this has generated so much feedback.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By skooks

In the past I have hidden my nerdy interests from people, basically 'friends' who made it clear what was cool and what wasn't. That was when I was growing up and didn't really know any better. Now I'm in my late twenties and have a group of the nerdiest friends I could ever have wished for, and I don't have to hide a thing. It's wonderful, but I'm aware I'm lucky to be in that situation. Whether you have friends who share your interests or not though, be yourself and be proud of who you are. If people give you stick for your interests, they're really not worth knowing.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lightsout

(I realize I theorized but didn't answer personally)

I only have 2 "real" friends (as opposed to acquaintances) and while one isn't into comics (though appreciates the movies & used to watch the cartoons back in the day) he's into basically every other nerd thing (Star Trek, Star Wars, LotR, Dr Who, etc etc) - so no judgement (just no talking about it actively). The other isn't into all that stuff but she's still kind of nerdy & overall chill so no judgement either (just again, no talking since it's not a mutual interest).

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Veshark

@Lvenger said:

I can empaphise with this thread. When a friend came round for supper I hid all my boxes of comics I had downstairs in my brother's bedroom and moved the ones I keep in a closet up to my brother's room as well. He was at university so it was fine and I moved them back. I guess my point is that I don't feel comfortable showing other people about my interest in comic books for the very misconceptions ascribed to us comic book geeks. None of my school friends had any interest in comics whatsoever. Granted I still had a lot in common with them and talked about the films with them but there's a big difference between people saying they like comic book movies and comic books per se. Maybe I'll outgrow this in the future and choose some real life comic book friends but for now the CV community is enough of an outlet for my comic book interest.

I feel you, man.

I don't have any friends with comic-book interests in real life, so CV is the only place for me to share my love for my favorite hobby. Yeah, my friends enjoy comic-book movies, but they still stay the hell away from the actual books.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@Veshark: I know how you feel. It's not something I want to hide but I don't think they'll get it. Know what I mean? Nice to see someone who empaphises with my situation.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Veshark

Yeah, definitely. I guess overall there's a negative stigma associated with anyone who aren't kids reading comic-books. Having no one to talk to about comics is actually one of the main reasons I joined CV.

Thank God for the Internet, huh? :)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By longbowhunter

Buying, reading and collecting comics is the most normal hobby I've ever had. It's the other stuff I try to hide.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By sinestro_GL

You've got it the wrong way around buddy, it is those that DON'T follow comics that have something to hide!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I don't give a s*** if someone disaproves of me reading comics so I'm not going to hide them.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lvenger

@Veshark: That's another thing I hear, that comic books are just for kids. It was mentioned on a UK game show most recently that I was watching which was quite dismaying. Comics have evolved beyond being just for kids consistently. The stuff we mostly read is for teenagers or T+ as the ratings go in comics. But having said that, if the industry wants to go grow, it does need more comics for kids now more than ever.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By RedQueen

@Lvenger said:

@Veshark: That's another thing I hear, that comic books are just for kids. It was mentioned on a UK game show most recently that I was watching which was quite dismaying. Comics have evolved beyond being just for kids consistently. The stuff we mostly read is for teenagers or T+ as the ratings go in comics. But having said that, if the industry wants to go grow, it does need more comics for kids now more than ever.

What game show was this? (Out of curiosity).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lvenger

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

Pointless.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By RedQueen

@Lvenger said:

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

Pointless.

*rolls eyes* Urgh. They haven't read the right comic books then.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lvenger

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

Pointless.

It was the contestants who mentioned it. If my memory serves me right the question was about which Robin was the most well known. Choices were Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd amongst some red herrings. The contestant made a comment about how she hadn't read comics since she was young so she associated her experience with her outward perception on older comic fans.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Malevolent1

Well, I will start by saying I have always been "out of the closet" with my love for comics...hey, you can only be who you are! If Denzel Washington, Nicholas Cage, Joe Satriani and Richard Gere (albeit, some as characters in movies, but adult characters in movies) can be out there with their love/opinions on comics why can't we. Granted, some of my friends look at me like I'm nuts...but oh well! My love of comics has been with me since I was 8...and I will NEVER change! My advice to those hiding their love (barring a financial dispute with your significant other...)? Come out of the closet! You'll find it very liberating!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Mine is on my bookshelves, so it isn't exactly top-secret.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lightsout

sigh, to actually have visitors so as to have the worry about being judged based on one's posessions

:D, carry on

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By CainPanell

My comics are hidden, but only because they are in locked wooden boxes in my room >.>

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Veshark

@Lvenger said:

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

@RedQueen said:

@Lvenger said:

Pointless.

It was the contestants who mentioned it. If my memory serves me right the question was about which Robin was the most well known. Choices were Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd amongst some red herrings. The contestant made a comment about how she hadn't read comics since she was young so she associated her experience with her outward perception on older comic fans.

I guess society as a whole views anything that uses too much imagination as being childlike. If you read something that's historical, or gritty and down-to-earth and realistic, or explores religious symbolism and what not - it's considered adult. If it's (to use Ed Brubaker's term) 'museum art', it's respected. But the moment that someone writes something that's imaginative and fun, something that you read not to show others how much of a cultured savant you are but rather for your own personal enjoyment, it's labelled for kids. If I try to explain The Dark Knight, my tastes are accepted. But if I try to detail Morrison's complex plot and themes from All-Star Superman, all people see is a brightly-colored comic-book with a character they still think of as being for kids.

I'm not saying that superhero comics should be viewed as 'high art' or anything, and truth be told, superhero comics aren't even 'adult' for the most part. From their roots, superhero comics were written for children, and even today, many issues basically involve punching villains and witty banter. And that's perfectly fine, I don't want comics to change. But what truly annoys me is how most people ignore comics' growth as a medium - how it's targeted more and more at adults and fans. And not only do they remain ignorant of the medium's potential, but the general public also can't seem to accept grown men and women reading superhero comics for fun. Not to enlighten ourselves or broaden our understanding of the world - but for fun. It's something the world seems incapable of comprehending.

Still, I guess there's no point going off on a rant. If we want change, we have to convince people, one friend or family member at a time.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lightsout

@Veshark said:

I guess society as a whole views anything that uses too much imagination as being childlike. If you read something that's historical, or gritty and down-to-earth and realistic, or explores religious symbolism and what not - it's considered adult. If it's (to use Ed Brubaker's term) 'museum art', it's respected. But the moment that someone writes something that's imaginative and fun, something that you read not to show others how much of a cultured savant you are but rather for your own personal enjoyment, it's labelled for kids. If I try to explain The Dark Knight, my tastes are accepted. But if I try to detail Morrison's complex plot and themes from All-Star Superman, all people see is a brightly-colored comic-book with a character they still think of as being for kids.

I'm not saying that superhero comics should be viewed as 'high art' or anything, and truth be told, superhero comics aren't even 'adult' for the most part. From their roots, superhero comics were written for children, and even today, many issues basically involve punching villains and witty banter. And that's perfectly fine, I don't want comics to change. But what truly annoys me is how most people ignore comics' growth as a medium - how it's targeted more and more at adults and fans. And not only do they remain ignorant of the medium's potential, but the general public also can't seem to accept grown men and women reading superhero comics for fun. Not to enlighten ourselves or broaden our understanding of the world - but for fun. It's something the world seems incapable of comprehending.

Still, I guess there's no point going off on a rant. If we want change, we have to convince people, one friend or family member at a time.

WOW. Very well put. CV needs a rec/star/+1 option on posts for posts like this.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Veshark

Thanks, glad you liked it! Truth be told, this is something that I've been pondering for a while now, and I ended up ranting a lot more than I'd expected.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lvenger

@Veshark said:

Bravo very well said indeed! Such a distinction needs to be shown to non comic book fans to demonstrate that the growth of comic books has truly taken on a more mature theme since their more children aimed origins as well as being fun stories to read. The incorporation of more mature themes adds to the enjoyment of reading the comic and such general perceptions of comic books and their fans are misguided by the reality of their actual standards.