Why must we always root for the hero? / Favorite villain?

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cassiuss

Ok ok mostly every comic i've ever read almost always have the hero winning. Even though i love the story i kinda hate that sometimes. i mean personnally i can relate to the villain more so than the hero. If u were granted a power or ability today or tomorrow what would u do go patrolling the streets at night looking for someone breaking the law or would you go figure out a way to put some money in your pocket,do something devious to your boss,make that hot little piece of @$$ u been dieing to get at want the stick. Comicviners please give me your opinions on this issue and tell me who your favorite villian is. Personally its between Dr. Doom and a 90's image era villain named DESPOT (check my avatar).

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Twentyfive

Think about it. Imagine a menacing Deathstroke actually KILLING someone important like Nightwing and some random citizens, and the kids were ACTUALLY going for him. That is a direct message to kids that killing is okay.I understand where you are coming from though. Superman isn't someone people want to root for all the time, in fact no hero is. But if you have villains actually killing and kids enjoying it, that leaves an important moral impression on them, which I do not support.

Oh, and my two favorite Villains are Magneto, and Lex Luthor. They are villains that could ACTUALLY exist in the real world (forget powers, and battlesuits). Magneto was a Jewish kid who wants revenge on normal humans for experimenting on him, and Luthor could've been Earth's true savior if Superman had not shown up and screwed everything. Now he just wants to show the world that he's it's true savior.

Zaclock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zaclock

Well, for most mainstream heroes, they can't really win or lose. Because their stories go on in perpetuity every win is temporary, and every loss is to break them down to be built back up. It's the nature of the beast. So in my opinion any hero's victory in any given arc or story is valid conditional to the quality of the story that preceded it. The same applies to any villian's victory, however fleeting it is. Hopefully that made as much sense in writing as it did in my head. And to answer your second question, I think Magneto is endlessly fascinating. Also, the KGBeast rules.

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blazinasian112
No Caption Provided

Thanos likes this thread!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree

@Zaclock said:

Well, for most mainstream heroes, they can't really win or lose. Because their stories go on in perpetuity every win is temporary, and every loss is to break them down to be built back up. It's the nature of the beast. So in my opinion any hero's victory in any given arc or story is valid conditional to the quality of the story that preceded it. The same applies to any villian's victory, however fleeting it is. Hopefully that made as much sense in writing as it did in my head. And to answer your second question, I think Magneto is endlessly fascinating. Also, the KGBeast rules.

Well said.

I know if I were given extraordinary powers I'd try my best to do good, but I would use a little bit of my power to my advantage.

My favorite villain would have to be Maxwell Lord.

No Caption Provided
zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By zexion_armando

I always root for Doom, lol. Since the future shown Doomwar I think shows what kind of hero Doom really is.

The one that keeps Earth 616 alive in the end, lol.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Jorgevy

I never root for the villains. EVER

But sometimes I do want to see heroes lose. Depends on the context but it's mainly heroes that piss me off, like Namor, Guy Gardner or Rulk

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Enosisik

My main favorites / Thanos,,Doom,Joker,Bullseye,Cyber

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tim2081

Bomb Queen is the villain in her series, and she wins.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Loki!! And this was before the movie. I was a lil brother who was kicked around by my older brother. He was tall like our father...I was short like our mother...he was athletic like our father..I was clumsy..hell my mother was head cheerleader in high school. He was good with girls...you know where this is going. lol All i've had was my brains..and that is something I bested even my father in at times. My ever plotting, ever expanding mind. Also Kraven and Rhino..I don't care, Alexi is cool!!

Protoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Protoon

Doc Ock

Norman Osborn

Electro

Magneto

Doctor Doom

Ultron

Bullseye

Professor Zoom

Sinestro

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Strider1992

Taskmaster and Venom(Brock)

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Twentyfive said:

Think about it. Imagine a menacing Deathstroke actually KILLING someone important like Nightwing and some random citizens, and the kids were ACTUALLY going for him. That is a direct message to kids that killing is okay.I understand where you are coming from though. Superman isn't someone people want to root for all the time, in fact no hero is. But if you have villains actually killing and kids enjoying it, that leaves an important moral impression on them, which I do not support.

Oh, and my two favorite Villains are Magneto, and Lex Luthor. They are villains that could ACTUALLY exist in the real world (forget powers, and battlesuits). Magneto was a Jewish kid who wants revenge on normal humans for experimenting on him, and Luthor could've been Earth's true savior if Superman had not shown up and screwed everything. Now he just wants to show the world that he's it's true savior.

kids enjoy killing, seriously ever play MW3 multyplayer, there's always a 8 year old playing,

Deadpool

The Killer

Deadshot

Deathstroke

Joker

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Back to the OP..most folks, if granted powers would use them for personal gain (if we're honest with ourselves) but that's why I like the heroes and root for them. Not because they are like most people, but because they aren't. They represent something higher than our egos and base desires. That said, some villains are simply fun to read. My favorites being the Joker, and back in the old Legion days, Computo. He was a computer built by Brainiac 5 to "solve world problems." that reasoned that since people are the cause of world problems, eliminating them would be nice solution.

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cassiuss

@Twentyfive: ok i kinda understand where your coming from but me personally, i dont see "kids" reading comics anymore. When i go into a comic shop i see teenagers and up buying comics,and if its ok for teens to play the most violent video games where people are getting shot and stabbed then it should be ok for a little reality in comics.

Hey,nice choice on lex and eric,i would put both of them in my top ten.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By minigunman123

My favorite villains are the Joker and Deathstroke, and if I had powers, I'd hopefully be a super soldier, like Slade. I'd absolutely use it for the forces of good. I absolutely would mess up and do jerky things, but that wouldn't be my intention; people just make mistakes. I'd be a superhero.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

After reading Books of Doom, I did find myself seeing Doctor Doom's side of the story and why he is the way he is. Though yes he is a villain as has tried to take over the world many times, at the beginning his goals were more or less simply just a boy trying to save his mother and a man trying to free his homeland from the rule of a cruel king.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RyuHayabusa

Darkseid

Ares

Ra's Al ghul

Deathstroke

Bane

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I root for Deathstroke a bit, I guess.

Wanted comes to mind... but they're all villains so I guess it doesn't count.

I root for Boba Fett, but I don't really consider him a villain.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By RoboShark
No Caption Provided

Taskmaster

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redberry

I'm a big fan of villian/anti-hero.

1. Daken

2. Dr.Doom

3. Harley

4. Poison Ivy

5. Joker

I feel like they provide an interesting perspective to the story. Good guys always often bore me too quickly.

Avatar image for greencarnagepool
greencarnagepool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By greencarnagepool

Carnage and Deadpool

stingray77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stingray77

I root for Harley and Ivy.

cassiuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cassiuss

That would be a hell of a amalgam too,deadpool and carnage...whos the green for,lantern?

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By artgamer

sabretooth , he is just awesome, just feral

X-Men Origins: Sabretooh
X-Men Origins: Sabretooh
Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enosisik

Oh I love Taskmaster but I don't even count him as a villain. He's more like Deadpool' he'll work for anyone who pays him good. Also Venom has always been awesome. It helps that I've never been a huge Spiderman fan and with Doom never liked the FF.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Onemoreposter

Victor Von Doom and Anakin Skywalker, hands down.

Thanos and Darkseid come in close second though

(not sure what exactly is going on there but it looks epic)

Avatar image for almighty_darkseid
Almighty_Darkseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i only like villains, in fact my favorites are only villains, darkseid, doomsday, solomon grundy, anti monitor, and imperiex. i hate heroes

i want villains to win more, but that wont happen cause heroes just always wins, as they say good always triumphs over evil which i hate